The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 12-15-2015, 05:10 PM
oh my car

Default SPOILER WARZ ~ Star Wars: The Force Awakens untagged spoiler death zone

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is the seventh film in the Star Wars series.

All descriptions of events which take place in the film may be posted freely in this thread. In return, post them nowhere else on these boards for the time being.

If you have not yet viewed this movie, I encourage you to leave immediately.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:58 AM
That crazy bird guy

I saw it yesterday. Haven't really been able to let the impressions sink in to give it some fair criticisms, to compare it with the others, etc, but I really liked it during the first viewing, and I'm tempted to just go out and watch it again, maybe tonight.

You can see the death of a certain character (ITWASSOSADWHENHANSOLODIESHEGETSKILLEDBYBENWHOISHI SOWNSONOMFGIJUSTHADTOGETITOUT) coming from a mile away, but it still managed to surprisingly get me teary eyed when it happened.
As for Kylo Ren, the "conflict" viewed from the Dark Side perspective is very interesting, how the "light side" tempts him. It worked surprisingly well.
I'm not familiar with the Expanded Universe at all, but it is to my understanding the same thing happened to Solo's kid in one of the books, and he was also called Ben?

The new cast does a fantastic job, all of them, I liked every single new character they brought on.
General Hux is maybe the most weird character, being some sort of Space Nazi, he even had that weird nazi rally scene. But I liked even him a lot.

The humor is there, but like in Empire, its surprisingly hilarious for just being enough to brighten the mood.
And I sure hope Luke brought a lot of slinkies with him to that island.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:05 AM
VGM is updated yo!

I liked it a lot too. Definitely better than the prequels and very near or on par with the originals.

I didn't like the Marvel Movies-type jokes sprinkled throughout the movie though. It was a let down that scene between Kylo Ren and Poe, and Poe jokes about who's going to talk first. There are other behaviors from other characters where they become jokers during serious scenes. I'm not a fan of that.

And I can't believe they killed Han. HAN! That's like the Tyrion of the Star Wars universe!
Old 12-17-2015, 10:26 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

What is the opening jingle now that Fox is no longer the distributor?

Last edited by Vega; 12-17-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:05 AM
That crazy bird guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega View Post
What is the opening jingle now that Fox is no longer the distributor?
A choir of Ewoks singing Yub Nub.

No seriously, I can't really remember exactly, but I think it was just a silent Lucasarts logo followed by an equal silent "A long time ago..."
Old 12-17-2015, 01:03 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReyVGM View Post
And I can't believe they killed Han. HAN! That's like the Tyrion of the Star Wars universe!
I'm shocked that you can't believe this. Ford seemed pretty damn reluctant to come back to SW, and I imagine that the way they sold him was "you'll play a major role, and then die so you never have to do another one of these suckers."

It's also a good call on their part - it means stakes are high, and I trust that it feels shocking and earned in the film.

Basically, the only two major spoilers i've encountered are Han dying and Kylo's parentage, both of which I called months ago, so i'm feeling p. smug right now~
Old 12-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Video World 14 is out!

Whoops, clicked through to this thread from the front page not realising it was an unmarked spoiler thread. There is no reason not to be marking the spoilers.

Old 12-17-2015, 02:20 PM

it says unmarked spoiler thread in the title.

Bongo: maybe ask a mod to retitle it UNMARKED SPOILER THREAD for The Force Awakens?
Old 12-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Your life is forfeit

Title modded.

Also: Captain Phasma is the Jihl Nabaat of the Star Wars universe.
Old 12-17-2015, 07:52 PM
100% All Original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Title modded.

I had to look her up, and having played FF13 I don't remember her at ALL. Anyway!

I was thinking Phasma is kind of the Boba Fett of this movie, in that she looks cool but doesn't do anything. That was disappointing, though I imagine they'll give her more to do in the future. It would be a terrible waste of Gwendoline Christie otherwise.

Also I thought it was great and I love Rey and Finn a whole lot.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:22 PM
More than two problems

Here comes a massive spoilerdump and I'm not tagging it because this thread is for untagged spoilers!

I saw The Force Awakens at an advance screening with a small crowd in the same local theater I've watched all the Prequels in. This movie is far more human than any of them, yet somehow... safer. For all George Lucas talked about his installments being like poetry (it rhymes), they're nothing compared to The Force Awakens. You can almost figure out where you are in the film by which scene from the original Star Wars is being thematically re-created.

The film is refreshingly devoid of jittercam and faked lense flares. See it on a bigger screen.

I like Poe and Finn together. As soon as they steal their TIE Fighter it's like suddenly they're the best of friends.

In an interesting reversal, the First Order is the one abducting children to make them Stormtroopers, same as what the Prequel-era Jedi were doing, and that's part of why the First Order is evil. "Take that", someone must have said.

There's not a whole lot of information about why the First Order and the Resistance are at odds apart from a couple sentences in the opening text and Hux's nazi rally speech.

So... The Millennium Falcon, the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy, the ship that killed the second Death Star... somehow it gets stolen from Han Solo and goes through a series of idiots who don't even know what they've got, until it's just sitting around in a parking lot waiting for Rey and Finn to steal it?

I friggin' love how the computer screens on the Falcon's turrets haven't been updated at all. They still use the jerky 70s graphics and sounds.

So Han has been up to his old scoundrel smuggler gig since he lost the Falcon, and he's either learned nothing from trying to push it with Jabba the Hutt, or it turns out that he was always kind of bad at it since he's on the hook again for a huge amount of money from at least two different pirate gangs. "I went back to the only thing I was good at" indeed, Han.

BB-8 giving the thumbs-up got the biggest laugh from the audience.

I can accept that the Death Star Starkiller Station shoots hyperspace death bolts at multiple planets, but how can our heroes see it happen in broad daylight? Were they in the same system? Jeez, Abrams is repeating himself.

Why do we care about what planets got blown up? Was that one Coruscant? But it can't be, they said it was some other system. Leia had a personal connection to Alderaan in the first film, that's what made it a tragedy. And as for the Resistance base about to get blasted... well, the stakes just aren't built up like they were then either.

Of all the things they could have taken from the old Expanded Universe, friggin' Legacy of the Force is it? Kylo Ren (real name Ben, nice job kid your evil callsign is just your name with one of the letters left unfinished) is pointedly revealed as Han and Leia's son with very little gravitas, and his character even has the same "I'm cool, hey look at me I'm cool, please come on goddammit I'm doing my best to be evil over here, look it's really hard okay" attitude. How did Snoke press him to the Dark Side, and how did it leave him with that kind of complex?

So is Snoke really huge, or is it just that they've finally invented color holograms and that's what's throwing me off?

There doesn't seem to be a centerpiece musical theme in this movie. Every Star Wars film has one, but I couldn't pick out what this one's is.

Have you seen Star Wars branded oranges on fruit stands, of all things? They've got BB-8 on the wrapper. But they should have featured the character whose head is literally an orange.

The film is kind of split on who the heroes should be. It's Rey and Finn right until Han and Chewie show up, and then Han just steals the show and rides it off into the sunset. He even gets the best scene. You know the one.

In a way, we knew this was coming... Harrison Ford thought Han should have gone out in Return of the Jedi. But there was just so much else going on in that film... this is really the best way it could have happened. Han Solo finally gets to die as he lived. I think out of all seven films, this stands alongside "I am your father" for the most powerful moment.

No more goofball lightsaber dances. Finally, our long nightmare is over. Rey and Finn both go straight for the stab several times. And as for Ren, you can tell he's only twirling that claymore in a desperate attempt to look cool. Look kid, nothing's saving you now. You could have stopped any time, any time, but you thought being a fanatic was more important. And that's why Darth Vader will always be cooler than you.

The new trench run (because of course there is) is ripped straight out of Ralph McQuarrie's original artwork. That made me smile.

So the Death Star Starkiller implodes and the movie ends, but instead of putting the Marvel cliffhanger behind the credits, it just... keeps going a little bit. Chewie's apparently comfy with the sidekick gig, 'cause he just lets Rey take over the Falcon and fly off to find the legendary Star Forge meet Luke Skywalker, who has no lines and has apparently been chilling out on a rock in the middle of an ocean all these years instead of trying to train more Jedi. (Is he just bummed because Snoke and Ren apparently wrecked his first attempt?) Guess we'll find out what that's all about in Episode VIII!
Old 12-17-2015, 08:45 PM
noble beast

I've enjoyed every movie in the series and I enjoyed this. (not sure I've watched the prequels since they came out) New droid is cute as hell. The leads are very appealing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
There's not a whole lot of information about why the First Order and the Resistance are at odds apart from a couple sentences in the opening text and Hux's nazi rally speech.
Didn't really feel like we needed much more, tbh.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:55 PM
Better be the real thing.

Quote:
Is he just bummed because Snoke and Ren apparently wrecked his first attempt?
I thought Han made it pretty clear that yes, he was.

I just got back. I'd say it didn't have to hew quite so closely to the structure of the original movie, but hoo boy did they make it work. I agree it didn't hurt Han's death at all--if anything, it actually made it more suspenseful, since you're just waiting for the shoe to drop. The fact they did it with an emotional family scene, and gave Ren such a unique motivation, added a lot more resonance to the scene.

Stuff like that makes me wonder if spoilers are really that big a deal. But that's a discussion for another thread that I'm too lazy to have.

I'm happy with the social diversity in this movie, and I'm not just talking about the characters' race. One of the big problems with the prequels was that most of the main characters were Jedi. They spoke the same, acted the same, and fought the same. The originals had Farm Boy, Rogue, Princess, Droids, and Chewbacca. Now we have Scavenger, Ex-Stormtrooper, Rogue, General, Ace Pilot, Droids, and Chewbacca. It also helped that so many characters had such personal reasons for taking part. Even with the Ep.4 plot beats. it still felt like the external conflict was built on everyone's internal conflicts, that things weren't just happening because the plot said so.

I just wish I didn't go to the bathroom right before Rey's flashback.

And the supreme leader of the New Order is a Zentraedi? I can dig it.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:04 PM
This Guy

An explanation of why there was a Resistance and a Republic would have been nice. Why are they two separate entities? So one can get destroyed and the other still be around to fight?

I liked the movie a lot, but it occasionally felt as cynical as the marketing, which is something you could never accuse the prequels of being. Whatever their flaws, those movies were earnest. The occasional flashes of snark and overwhelming echoing of the original were a little tiresome.

Finn and Rey were great, Harrison Ford still has it when he cares and this movie had the most interesting side/incidental characters in a Star War since Empire. The only real dud was Kylo Ren, who acted I would expect Darth Vader to act if I had only seen the prequels: whiny, petulant and ineffective. As much as I like Han and Chewie, this movie was at its best when it was focusing on new stuff. Really, other than Kylo Ren I liked all of them.

BB-8 is great, because it had the potential to be the Scrappy Doo of Star Wars, but I really like the little soccer ball.

There was someone in the theater who absolutely lost it when Han died. Like complete disbelief, having a breakdown lost it. He had a Vaderian "No" shout followed by repeated gasping. It was amusing.
Old 12-17-2015, 09:19 PM
More than two problems

Does anyone else notice how blue and orange this movie is? It starts right away with the starfield in the opening credits. The first thing that popped into my head was "finally, a Star Wars movie that looks like Super Empire Strikes Back". The stars were big and blue in that game's title crawl, you see.

I also like how the answer to the question on everyone's mind ("How are they gonna open this film without 20th Century Fox?!") is the Lucasfilm logo backed by total silence. It's perfect. I was hoping against hope for that one. Makes the whole opening sequence play out way, way better. Star Wars has never needed that fanfare. It doesn't need anything. You start the film, you get "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." and BOOM, STAR WARS.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:34 PM
oh my car

Finn is R2-D2. Like, they are so much the same character that it hurts (it hurts good). We're supposed to think that Rey is like Shmi, or Poe is like Biggs, or Snoke is like Sidious, or Hux is like Tarkin, or Mark Hamill did the exact same move with his hood that Alec Guinness did, but no. Those are just echoes. Remixes, like the last trilogy. Finn being R2-D2 is

Like A New Hope and The Phantom Menace, The Force Awakens sets up a moral mystery, but only shows it to us from the fringes of society and the false clarity of the battlefield. Why did Ben Solo think that killing his father was the right thing to do? Why did Anakin kill both of his dads even though he had the opposite kinds of emotions both times? Why did Luke start off wanting to kill his dad, but then change his mind? Star Wars is a family drama, and they gave us quite a dramatic setup.

I'll tell you the rest later, once I've had some time to mull this over.

I'm still surprised that they shot this on film instead of digital, but I'm not sure why I'm surprised.

In the theater I saw it at, the projector was slightly out of focus, so I had difficulty reading the credits. What was the name of Max Von Sydow's character? I feel like I was supposed to recognize him. I did recognize the old dude manning the command console from his previous appearance manning the command console in 1977.

I approve of this film. Where's the soundtrack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
it says unmarked spoiler thread in the title.

Bongo: maybe ask a mod to retitle it UNMARKED SPOILER THREAD for The Force Awakens?
I literally put "untagged spoilers" in the thread title! How could I possibly be more explicit than that?
Old 12-17-2015, 10:38 PM
concentrate

Things I disliked:
* Too many callbacks to the old movies.
* The countdowns at the final battle which seemed completely off. They could just not have mentioned them literally and it would have played out much better I think.
* Lightsabers felt somewhat underpowered and holy shit yes I know this is the nerdiest thing to complain about

Things I liked:
* Basically every new character was great. Finn, Ray, Kylo Ren, Poe, BB-8, Hux, Snoke, Phasma, Maz.
* Flamethrower stormtroopers
* the baton stormtrooper fight
* the First Order nazi rally
* he monsters Han and Chewie were smuggling
* Han with the bowcaster
* I liked that they introduced several planets with actually pleasant-looking environments, not all sand and ice and swamps

Other:
* Gosh I hope Snoke is either an actual giant or super tiny IRL, anything as long as he's not just regular-sized
Old 12-17-2015, 10:45 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parish View Post
Title modded.

Except that she didn't [FFXIII spoiler, I guess] get killed by the final boss offhandedly and before she could be in any way threatening.

But yeah, I really hope she comes back. It'd be a waste of a character concept, and an actress, if she didn't. And she'll probably have a vendetta against Chewie and Finn by then. Speaking of, damn, she's as tall as a Wookie!

Anyway, my hot take is that I loved it, and I love that sooooo many people will hate it for being so "SJW" Not only did it kill Han, it made Rey the Main Character with capital letters who overpowered the whiny jerk, had Finn as deuteragonist, and was surprisingly feminist! I especially liked Orange Yoda (though I would've preferred Lupita Nyong'o to be herself rather than CGI.) I thought BB-8 had been called a "she" in promotional materials, though...

I knew well in advance Han would die --Ford's own commentary around RotJ made it a sure thing for FA, plus there was that leaked script that turned out to be accurate. But it was still an intense, emotional scene. I loved how Ben's speech about "not having the strength to do what was necessary", and asking Han to help him with it, was simultaneously about him killing his father as well as asking his father to kill him, punctuated --or decided?-- by the vanishing [sun]light. He may not be physically imposing without his mask on (although the movie makes a point of showing it weighs a ton and a half) but, for once, a Star Wars character's whining and temper tantrums are actually in favor of his development.

Several people at the theater WERE surprised, though. I heard more than one scream, and more than one cheer when Chewie blasted Ren in return. (One of those cheers may or may not have been my own.)

Speaking of, while Han was telegraphed from a long time ago, and from a galaxy far away, Chewie and everything about him was heartbreaking I was seriously worried he would choose to stay behind and detonate the place from within, and now I'm concerned for Episode VIII.

Rey and Finn's characters were amazing. Finn's touchy-feely habits were great character details, a subtle nod at how utterly deprived of human contact he's been. He had excellent chemistry with everyone, even the soccer ball, and I liked that he could at least put up a fight with the saber. I did expect a little bit more conflict in his attitude towards other stormies, though, considering it was Poe killing the one next to him that first "woke him up", so to speak. And then that guy with the shock weapon sounded pretty pissed off at the "traitor," too.

Nausicaa Rey is the Best. And I want to see more of her staff fighting than her lightsabering. I wonder if her appearance was meant to evoke Leia via Boushh. And of course she'll turn out to be either Luke's daughter or intimately related to him --my date and I were theorizing that her family had been on a ship with Luke, the Rens happened, and she was sent away for safekeeping while her parents (or mother?) went back to try to help Luke. I really hope she's not related to him, as it'd make the galaxy even smaller, but there's definitely a strong connection, and Kylo Ren responded to her immediately after learning about her, so there's that.

Snoke was fun. He looks like an RPG boss. And I hope he really IS that big. I wonder which movie will explain his origins.

The CGI battles were absolutely amazing. First, the theater exploded in cheers when "that garbage" came on screen, and Rey's maneuvering was creative, thrilling, and wildly imaginative. I physically winced when she smashed the starboard on the ground, yeah, but that upside-down move at the end was glorious. Poe's tracking shot at the ruins was awesome too.

I'm still amazed at the positively massive amount of callbacks to, and retellings of, ANH. It wasn't a Greg Land level of tracing, but it was definitely more than a mere homage.

Now to wait for the cliffhanger resolution, and the several novels detailing how Han pulled a Boba Fett, survived not just the stabbing but the fall, and escaped in that one TIE that fled from the imploding planet.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:57 PM
oh my car

The prequels, symbolically as well as literally, were what was in between the original trilogy and these sequels. The failure of love and the corruption of noble ideals may have literally happened over 50 years prior, but they also happened about ten years ago. Luke witnessed the recurrence of the tragic cycle, witnessed the Jedi incubating the seeds of their own destruction. And that's why he secluded himself.

In this "trilogy of trilogies" structure, the third part consists of the Middle Way that reconciles the simplicity of the first part and its refutation by the second part. And the first part is, itself, simple. We can still believe, at the end of 2015, that the reason Kylo Ren helped the First Order hunt down the last of the Jedi Knights and betrayed and murdered somebody's father is merely because he was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force. But anybody who's seen Star Wars before knows that's false. It's even exactly what Star Wars is about.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I literally put "untagged spoilers" in the thread title! How could I possibly be more explicit than that?

If you're reading in your phone or jumping into a thread from the main page, all of the thread's title isn't displayed. Your original title had its spoiler warning at the end, where it could be cut off and unseen.
Old 12-18-2015, 03:53 AM
Video World 14 is out!

Yeah that's all it was. I ain't mad, idagf, but I was worried someone else might do the same thing
Old 12-18-2015, 05:27 AM
That crazy bird guy

Thing about lightsabers feeling "underpowered", I kinda get.

There weren't really any trained Jedi using them in this one. Kylo Ren being the closest we got, but even he never was fully trained.
I'm expecting them to feel more powerful as the movies go on, when the characters get more trained in how to use them.

As long as we don't see them everywhere, like in the prequels (that one robot character has four of them, buy the toy!), it's fine by me.
Old 12-18-2015, 05:42 AM
Your life is forfeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Scott View Post
And the supreme leader of the New Order is a Zentraedi? I can dig it.
Nah, supposedly Snoke is tall, but that giant version was a hologram, hence his flickering out into nothing at the end of the first scene he appears in.

Some woman in my theater really took Han's death hard. You could sense the shock in the room, it was like someone sucked the air out of the theater, but a lady sitting behind me cried for about a full minute with huge, gasping sobs. People really feel a profound connection to Star Wars, apparently!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:55 AM
Find Your Reason

Totally serious here: I believe, for generations old enough to have grown up with him, Han Solo isn't just a classic cultural icon, but many people's formative role model. Probably far beyond the more distant, (ahem) father-figure Ben and Vader, and definitely more than Luke. So I could absolutely understand the shock and dismay of an audience that, unlike us, wasn't familiar with Ford's stance on the character or hadn't heard about the leaks years in advance.

Funny, though: throughout the movie, I felt Ford was playing Indy more than he was playing Han. The former has a shorter fuse and less tolerance of other people than the latter does, and it was noticeable in his performance here. Shame Crystal Skull's Mutt had negative chemistry with everything in that movie, especially compared to the delight of seeing Ford deal with the new kids in this one. THIS is what Crystal Skull should've been like, and I'm retroactively annoyed at Spielberg, of all directors, for dropping the ball so hard.

Anyway, some other thoughts I've been ruminating...

If Han had to die, it's damn awesome his tomb became a star. Better than Spock getting Genesis or Kirk getting... an unmarked pile of rocks, for sure.

We'll probably get --if we haven't already gotten-- New Expanded Universe stuff that goes further into Jakku's importance in the story. It's apparently not an Outer Rim system, and the battle above it was apparently major enough to involve a large Imperial contingent (at least two crashed SDs, one SSD, and ground assault vehicles), but the planet itself is all but an outpost. Maybe this will also play into why Rey was left there.

I liked that, despite being there mostly for Wow factor, Kylo Ren's crossguard also has a practical application! While most everyone was complaining about how dumb a crossguard on a lightsaber was because it'd just be sliced off, turns out it is used offensively during a parrying lock. Must be hell trying to master that thing without slicing your own wrist off, especially with all the blade-spinning lightsaber duelists do in these movies.

I was surprised and pleased at how TIEs are actually, finally, a believable threat now. And they're two-seaters? That's amazing. Can't wait to see the new variants the FO comes up with for VIII and IX.

So with the FO blowing up Coruscant (!) and destroying the Republic fleet, and then losing half the X-wing fleet in the Starkiller assault, the Resistance is in a pretty lousy spot logistically, no? The FO still has the resources to dig through an entire planet and make continent-sized installations, but feels like the Resistance was basically a Republic kite with very little official support and few supply lines. And with the Senate being dissolved again (into atoms, this time) is there even any kind of galactic government anymore?

The Starkiller itself raises a lot of questions about how it works! I don't think it's a concept that stands up to scrutiny, and I hope they don't go back to the superweapon well for a fourth time.

So the Empire's "old archives" did have entire regions of the galaxy mapped out that nobody else knew about. That's absolutely going to relate to Snoke, I imagine. It's still a bit weird that Luke would save most of his own map on R2, send him back to Leia, then send away the USB with the last bit of map for his friends to find. I figure he gave Rey's parents the USB and then they left it with the village elder, which would make the "Luke and Rey are tightly connected" argument stronger because it'd mean he planned for her to follow him.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:09 AM
That crazy bird guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
So with the FO blowing up Coruscant (!)
Yeah, about that, was it Coruscant? I believed they said the name of some other system, but I wasn't sure. I even asked my friend when we left the theater, and he wasn't sure either.

Was that really Coruscant? If so, they didn't ever mention it again.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:10 AM

So am I the only person who got the idea that JJ was ripping off Spaceballs? Between the reveal of Kylo Ren's identity with the same amount of impact as "I am your father’s brother’s nephew’s cousin’s former roommate", Han's death because Good is DUMB, and the Starkiller base being a giant vacuum cleaner, I'm thinking Mel Brooks is gonna sue somebody.

I probably should have sat in the front row, towards the right side of the screen, since I was making fun of the film in my head the whole way through...

How'd you get Vader's lightsaber? *waves hand* This isn't the story you're looking for...

The Greybeards summoned Rey to High Hrothgar at the end of the film.

"Luke I'm going to point the business end of your dad's lightsaber at you until you give me your wallet, old man!"
Old 12-18-2015, 07:20 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadaph View Post
Yeah, about that, was it Coruscant? I believed they said the name of some other system, but I wasn't sure. I even asked my friend when we left the theater, and he wasn't sure either.

Was that really Coruscant? If so, they didn't ever mention it again.
They never name the system, that I recall, but during his speech, Hux says they're going to destroy the senate and the Republic (in order to cut off the Resistance), then the main target is a planet that is all-city when seen from space and has the Coruscant aesthetic at ground-level. Sooooo...

Then again, the Resistance never did acknowledge it, did they?

And, man, with Snoke being so cool and Kylo Ren being so interesting, it's great that Hux is just a cardboard Nazi git to draw our ire It's gonna be so cathartic when Ben slices him in half.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:33 AM
That crazy bird guy

I too feel like it was visually established to be Coruscant, but something about that just felt wrong. They destroyed the capital planet and never ever mentioned it again?

After some googling, I managed to figure out they destroyed the Hosnian system, which I do remember hearing somewhere in the movie.
It's an important planet apparently, and the capital of the new Republic.
Guess Coruscant is kinda too established in the lore to just be destroyed off like that.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:40 AM
Your life is forfeit

Plus they gotta go back to the old Jedi Temple and dig for lost lore, while they're pilfering other ideas from the EU novels.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:43 AM

So Starkiller Base charges its gun by draining the one sun in the system to nothing. And then what if you need to fire again? And not having a sun anymore can't be healthy for any of the plant life or people on the planet...

You know, as dumb as the old EU's Superweapons were, they weren't this dumb.

Tags
arguing on the internet , bongobill-8 , daisy ridley for smash , daisy ridley is too big , han so old , i'm just a poe boy , is george lucas good? , kylo is best pony , phasma is a cylon , punished venom c3po , snape kills indy , snokemobile , spoilers , star wars , that c3po sex scene , the force awakens , the good 'ship stormpilot