The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Remembers Love

Hell yes the letterboxing on that staff.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Wow, somehow, them being giant robot beetles does nothing at all to diminish how grisly the violence is.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:17 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Wow, somehow, them being giant robot beetles does nothing at all to diminish how grisly the violence is.
Is that a remake of an old episode? I vaguely recall him already killing a giant army of robo beetles.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:20 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Is that a remake of an old episode? I vaguely recall him already killing a giant army of robo beetles.
He kills soooo many beetles through the series, but the pilot ended with a particularly large army, yes
Old 02-23-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Kind of? The third episode of the first season featured a similar sequence where Jack destroyed waves of robotic beetles. It's uh... very visceral here too, even with the knowledge that it's robots his destroying while getting covered in... oil.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:38 AM
King Of Space-Time

Over at Ript for today.

Old 03-11-2017, 08:27 PM

That sure was some fine television.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:58 PM
oh my car

Shit, that's a powerful setup.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:05 PM
Blue Comet

Crap, I forgot it was on tonight. Well, honestly I'm not the biggest fan of watching things 'live' so to speak...I haven't watched all the episodes of the original Samurai Jack, maybe I'll catch 'em all together.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:25 PM

So going back what happened tonight. [spoiler]That is now probably my favorite villain, and I'm said we don't get more of him. Only 10 episodes though.[/spoiler.]

I'm shocked we got to "hear" Aku so early I figured they'd save it for a final build up. I guess they are really confident with the new actor.

I'm really confuse with the daughters of Aku, I wasn't sure if it was a this is what happened in those 50 years moment, and they grew up, or it was an effect of Aku causing them to grow up fast. Also they daughters all had a very close to Llana look.

Man this was pretty dark, I didn't expect it to go that far. Beating up the kid scene was pretty rough.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:00 PM
oh my car

It played pretty loose with the timeline, and the A and B plots were not presented in chronological order. The way I interpret it is that the Daughters of Aku were trained during the interval between Jack losing his sword and Jack fighting Scaramouche (a fantastic character, by the way). The few days he spent wandering the woods and ignoring the burning village are a microcosm of those decades.

I am crazy to learn who is this green samurai? Why is Jack so terrified of him? What makes Ashi different from her sisters? Is it significant that she was the character afforded the privilege of being the first to draw blood (not just combat scratches) and the first to be involved in a scene of violence against a child, while Jack is still fighting robots?
Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Cold Blooded

That was a strong start to new season.

The preview for the next episode seems to suggest that Jack will end up spilling blood instead of oil for once.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:31 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventrue View Post
I'm shocked we got to "hear" Aku so early I figured they'd save it for a final build up. I guess they are really confident with the new actor.
Having the distortion due to the phone is a clever way of doing it.

Interesting that the Daughters of Aku talk about him gracing them with his presence. Wonder if they're just some wacko cult Aku isn't even aware of!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I am crazy to learn who is this green samurai? Why is Jack so terrified of him?
Same color scheme as the sword the pit fell into so I'm assuming he's related to that.
Old 03-12-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
Daughters of Aku talk about him gracing them with his presence. Wonder if they're just some wacko cult Aku isn't even aware of!
I have to rewatch it again. I could have swore they said once again as if they had visited them before?

I swore when he said "I gotta get back to the past." They were gonna hit us with the intro, but they didn't and it was the biggest tease. Then they got me at the end. God damn it Genndy!
Old 03-18-2017, 08:30 PM
Cold Blooded

Jeez, I thought it was going to be one of the silly episodes after that opening! My hearts racing!
Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.R. Bigman View Post
Jeez, I thought it was going to be one of the silly episodes after that opening! My hearts racing!
Huh, I wonder if any of these final ones will be silly. I feel like we might just get stuff like this opening and that'll be it.

Gorgeous animation with that rain and fireflies.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:47 AM
the alchemy forest

the villain in the first episode of the season may not have been, like, laugh out loud funny or anything like that, but he did give me a lot of hope that the whole season isn't going to be gratuitously grimdark and will have a nice variety of tones. i guess we'll still see
Old 03-19-2017, 11:11 AM
Remembers Love

Aku's new voice actor ain't bad, but there's a bit of Tevye in his delivery that I find amusing.

Last edited by Peach; 03-19-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:24 PM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

Holy SHIT episode 2 was fucking awesome.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:25 PM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

The fucking tension of the entire Green Mausoleum chamber sequence is incredible.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:04 PM
Half-Ninja

One thing that confused me was How did they know which coffin he was in? What did that firefly have to do with that?

Otherwise, fantastic episode.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:53 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
One thing that confused me was How did they know which coffin he was in? What did that firefly have to do with that?

Otherwise, fantastic episode.
I figured they could see the light, and if the place has been sealed so long it must mean it got in with him? Totally a guess though.

I thought the wolf/tiger scenes were unnecessary, but the look of anguish on the wolf's face at the end had a huge emotional impact on me.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:23 PM
Remembers Love

The use of B Plots in these two episodes is interesting, since that generally wasn't a structure used in the first four seasons.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:08 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Have they said anything about releasing a boxed set of the whole show after these episodes?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:13 AM
It's all good, man

I'm a week behind because I don't have TV. Saw the first episode. It was some good-ass SJ.

Does anyone know why the episodes this season are named the way they are? It doesn't match up with episode number.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:03 PM
Serial Thread Killer

So it struck me that Jack, having lost his sword, has also lost his way. Its not just the time portals being destroyed that's driven him to despair, I think these visions of his family are because he really has forgotten something important. The fact that he started this season on a motorbike and uses a machine gun is not only for cool points. It seems that being in the future for as long as he has now, he's forsaken some of the code he used to live by. That may be what the green warrior signifies. His traditional values have been clashing with his situation for nearly a lifetime now. It would be easier to try and run from his destiny when there is no hope left. I mean, when he saw the smoke from that ruined village his decision was to drive off, knowing it was a trap. The old Jack would have rushed in to help them.

I want to know what the hell happened to make him lose his sword. Also why hasn't Aku shown up for years? They're both clearly at the end of their rope. So many questions!

This is about as strong a start to a new season as you could ever hope to expect.
Old Yesterday, 05:30 AM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrieri View Post
So it struck me that Jack, having lost his sword, has also lost his way. Its not just the time portals being destroyed that's driven him to despair, I think these visions of his family are because he really has forgotten something important. The fact that he started this season on a motorbike and uses a machine gun is not only for cool points. It seems that being in the future for as long as he has now, he's forsaken some of the code he used to live by. That may be what the green warrior signifies. His traditional values have been clashing with his situation for nearly a lifetime now. It would be easier to try and run from his destiny when there is no hope left. I mean, when he saw the smoke from that ruined village his decision was to drive off, knowing it was a trap. The old Jack would have rushed in to help them.

I want to know what the hell happened to make him lose his sword. Also why hasn't Aku shown up for years? They're both clearly at the end of their rope. So many questions!

This is about as strong a start to a new season as you could ever hope to expect.
I feel like the second episode had "symbolic rebirth" written all over it. Over the course of the episode everything about the persona Jack has built is broken down - he loses his bike, his armour, his weapons, and his beard - all the defenses he has built up to keep the world at a distance. It even ends with him diving into a river!
Old Yesterday, 06:13 AM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

The implication that this is the first time Jack ever killed someone who was not a robot feels a LITTLE phony, because while they couldn't show GALLONS OF BLOOD on a kid's show, there was never really any doubt that Jack had in fact killed loads of people.

So I choose to believe that Jack's shock was at the fact that his opponent was really just a teenage girl. Like that's not somebody an eternal consummate warrior soul feels good about winning against.
Old Yesterday, 06:59 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

I mean, the original intro for Samurai Jack immortalized Jack dicing that Baboon Cyborg dude, and he was mostly flesh... I think...

But maybe it's just some kind of future racism thing going on? With all the aliens and monsters running around, it's possible it's been a good long time since Jack had to actually fight a human. Kind of the difference in your average zombie movie/show between gunning down hordes of the walking dead, and then having to stop and pause for that one dude that has an (inevitably fatal) infection.

Also, at the core of the story, if you remember the first episode of Samurai Jack, Jack learned everything he knows from people all over the ancient world, from Africa to Asia to Europe. Then he winds up in a future where Aku has opened the doors to the whole universe, and "humanity" is something of an oppressed minority. In that way, Jack is THE BEST HUMAN fighting for a future FOR humans. His entire goal boils down to not only defeating Aku and "saving the world", but saving a world for his people, humanity. Humans are oppressed and corrupt under the rule of Aku, Jack is doing a good thing for humanity.

So when ya slit a gal's throat, that kinda stomps on your noble goal.
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

I'm not sure I 100% buy Jack as placing humans above other species. I mean in the very first Samurai Jack did in the future was work to help a race of Sentient Dog-people. The first people he saves in the new episodes are Aliens who communicate with Antenna words.

(It's also ambiguous just how human the Daughters of aku are. They got pointy ears and red skin & stuff but whatever.)

EDIT AND THEN I RE-READ YOUR POST AND WAS LIKE OH YEAH THAT'S NOT WHAT YOU WERE SAYING AT ALL OKAY OKAY.

Tags
cartoon network , samurai jack