The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 11-08-2015, 05:50 PM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

Default Welcome to the World of Tomorrow! Read Only Memories

So! I picked up this game from Indie Gala because it was so cheap, and because it had gotten rave reviews from members of Talking Time. I've put an hour into it so far, and I'm really enjoying the writing and detailed world building. It just feels like a plausible science fiction setting, and your android sidekick Turing is cute as the dickens, with a display projected on his globe-shaped head that makes him more expressive than you'd expect from a robot.

It wasn't until I started talking about Read Only Memories on Twitter that I discovered it was a game designed by and for the LGBT community. I don't consider myself part of that audience, but it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game in the least. Granted, I'm only an hour in, but I never felt like it was pushing an agenda on me. Beyond that, the overall design is strong enough that it could find a mainstream audience without too much effort.

One memorable moment for me is when you and Turing are digging around through your kidnapped friend's apartment. Asimov's three laws are mentioned, and Turing is quick to dismiss them, claiming that a robot with self-determination isn't bound by them and that he could quite easily rip off one of your arms if he wanted. It turns out the "social contract" that binds us all is what keeps him from going on a murderous rampage. So my arm is staying put, right? Heh heh.

Now I admire and respect Asimov's work. Yet at the same time, the three laws of robotics have become a dreadful cliche, and it was refreshing for someone to find a way to circumvent them while keeping robots friendly. I also appreciate that Turing isn't some carbon copy of other pop culture androids, ie C3PO, Data, etc. He's intelligent and knowledgeable, yet capable of at least understanding human emotion, even if he is slightly awkward socially. It's probably a little self-serving for me to say so, but I like to think of him as having robot Asperger's.

So, that's my opinion of ROM, at least so far. What do you think of the game?
Old 11-08-2015, 06:43 PM
?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArugulaZ View Post
It wasn't until I started talking about Read Only Memories on Twitter that I discovered it was a game designed by and for the LGBT community. I don't consider myself part of that audience, but it hasn't affected my enjoyment of the game in the least. Granted, I'm only an hour in, but I never felt like it was pushing an agenda on me. Beyond that, the overall design is strong enough that it could find a mainstream audience without too much effort.
Very similar experience here. I saw this on the new releases list, thought the screenshots looked nice, gave the demo a try, was intrigued, so I picked it up. It wasn't until a couple of hours in that I randomly stumbled across a post about how this game was apparently considered "controversial" by some. I don't know the details of why, because you couldn't pay me to spend my free time reading up on internet controversy, but I will say that absolutely nothing I've encountered so far in the game left me assuming it was designed by any particular group or for any particular group. It's just a fun game with an interesting story and characters, and that's all I care about.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:54 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

Mostly all I want to do in this thread is post screenshots, but I'm too lazy/tired to resize/upload them right now. Just take my word for it that the police robots look like they're made of Saiyan armor.

The final segment of the game (before the ending) is really good.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:33 AM
certified comics master

Played it last week and loved it. I bought the soundtrack and have been listening to it constantly.

The first ending I got was ending six, "Flatline". Turing shuts down for good, TOMCAT blames themselves, the world is unchanged, and Big Blue is poised to be launched upon the world unimpeded.

After looking some stuff up, I decided to try getting a better ending, so I reloaded my save and went through the final sequence again. That time I got ending one, "All Good Things". Turing successfully makes it through the showdown with Big Blue, TOMCAT and Turing are hanging out in your apartment dealing with the fact that all ROMs now have sapience, and 2065 is going to be a busy year.

Both times I failed to get Starfucker and Oliver onto my side. I guess it's because I snitched on them when I caught them from the autocab. I probably wasn't very nice to them after that, because I didn't realize that they would actually turn out to be allies. I managed to convince everyone else to be a pal, though I wonder what would have happened if I had asked Ms. Flowers for the 100,000 credits instead of Dr. Fairlight. Judging from the achievements, it seems you're destined to be rejected by the bearded hybrid in the nightclub, despite having two choices, so maybe it's the same sort of situation? I could be wrong about both, though.

I'm actually surprised about how little documentation there is about the ins and outs of this game at this point. I'm used to being able to beat a game, then read about its secrets on GameFAQs, or watch all the endings I missed on Youtube. Even for a game this recently released. And yet... nada! If I want to see more endings, I guess it's up to me to play the game again. On that note, I wish skipping text was easier in this game. It's a minor gripe, but I have it nonetheless.

I don't think I have the heart to go through the game by being an asshole (I know there's an ending where Turing turns on you and TOMCAT at the very end, becoming the new Big Blue, because you're an asshole), but I do want to try to save Wilty the plant and see what happens when you get the Troublemakers on your side.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:26 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
Both times I failed to get Starfucker and Oliver onto my side.
I got them with me. They help you get The fake passport for Vincent, and help you out at the end. They have some great dialogue, too.

Quote:
though I wonder what would have happened if I had asked Ms. Flowers for the 100,000 credits instead of Dr. Fairlight.
I did this one, too. She gets annoyed that you came back to bother her so soon, but she sends Pat to gather up the money for you from around the house. It seemed a little odd that I didn't have the option to go to her for help at the end.

Relating to that, I was wondering if there's any differences based on whether you go to Melody's house or the Augmented Eye office first.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:21 PM
certified comics master

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakman View Post
I got them with me. They help you get The fake passport for Vincent, and help you out at the end. They have some great dialogue, too.
They helped me with the fake passport, but refused to help me start a riot between the Human Revolution and the hybrids.

Quote:
I did this one, too. She gets annoyed that you came back to bother her so soon, but she sends Pat to gather up the money for you from around the house. It seemed a little odd that I didn't have the option to go to her for help at the end.

Relating to that, I was wondering if there's any differences based on whether you go to Melody's house or the Augmented Eye office first.
Huh. Yeah, I'm gonna have to experiment with that order of events if I do decide to play the game again. When I played, I went to The Augmented Eye first, followed that storyline through as far as it would take me, then did the stuff with Melody.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:58 PM
certified comics master

Oh nice, the official Twitter just announced that they're going to be implementing a playable Christmas Day and fast-skipping soon.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:07 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu View Post
They helped me with the fake passport, but refused to help me start a riot between the Human Revolution and the hybrids.
Oh, weird. For the passport, they were helping me (at least in part) because I didn't call the cops on them (and still could). By the end they wanted to help Turing though.

Quote:
Huh. Yeah, I'm gonna have to experiment with that order of events if I do decide to play the game again. When I played, I went to The Augmented Eye first, followed that storyline through as far as it would take me, then did the stuff with Melody.
I went the other way. Do you still get to that reporter's house too late?
Old 11-10-2015, 09:49 AM
certified comics master

Quote:
Do you still get to that reporter's house too late?
Yeah, that's still the case. In fact, doesn't Dekker mention he killed him before he attacked you in Hayden's apartment? I recall him talking about how the reporter had caught on to Big Blue's existence days before you were on the case, so he was taken out early.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:19 PM
certified comics master

I drew some fanart
Old 11-11-2015, 03:32 PM
contains words & diagrams

I'm not very far in at all but this game seems super fucking dope. It lets you put in custom pronouns for yourself if none of the ones it presents fit you.

e: oh man fuckin rad we're talking about Bob Ross.

Last edited by Tefari; 11-11-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:53 PM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

My review/defense of the game, on my blog:

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/2015/...-memories.html

Most of the reviews of ROM2064 have been really positive... it's the crap on Steam calling it a "nesting doll of furries and cancer" that piss me off. If it were one big Captain Planet episode, that'd be different, but it's not! It's a well realized adventure game that happens to have LGBT characters in it.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I haven't played the game yet so can't comment meaningfully, but if you got a Steam key with your Indie Gala purchase, you should consider posting that as a Steam review as well.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:45 PM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

That is not a bad idea. I should spend a little more time with it first, though.
Old 11-11-2015, 10:16 PM
bunch of bozos

So the trailer and website have got me super excited. I could not imagine loving the art style or music more than I do.

I've downloaded the demo, but must try and wait until after work to play it.

I want to say thanks to this thread, because I had never even heard of this game before.

Now I have to just try and not get myself too hyped up.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Amen cadence? Sounds sus

Quote:
it's the crap on Steam calling it a "nesting doll of furries and cancer"
honestly given the context, that's one of the more polite takes on that sort of context

by which I mean, specifically, I've seen at least one comment referring it as "full of AIDS" or something remarkably similar
Old 11-12-2015, 08:38 PM
bunch of bozos

Played the demo for nearly an hour last night, and didn't even finish it!

I already love Turing, and the puzzles I've solved so far have had a nice, cute little logic to them.

The soundtrack is phenomenal, and I really like the aesthetics of the game as a whole.

EDIT: I didn't really want to weigh in on the "controversy" surrounding this game, because frankly, it seems ridiculous. If anything, the politics it espouses seem to be along the lines of: keep an open mind, treat people fairly, and don't be a dick. I shouldn't be surprised, then, that The Internet is Up In Arms.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:43 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson View Post
EDIT: I didn't really want to weigh in on the "controversy" surrounding this game, because frankly, it seems ridiculous. If anything, the politics it espouses seem to be along the lines of: keep an open mind, treat people fairly, and don't be a dick. I shouldn't be surprised, then, that The Internet is Up In Arms.
The "controversy" is basically: (1) It was made by LGBT people for LGBT people and (2) that group of LGBT people said that GG would not be welcome at the LGBT friendly GX: Everybody Games convention.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:26 AM
bunch of bozos

That seems fairly understandable, given GG's track record.

Also, it's to the makers' credit that I can enjoy the game without feeling at all excluded, as a non-LGBT person. In other words, it is for LGBT people, but not exclusively, and that is nice.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:04 PM
bunch of bozos

Really glad I held off on buying the PC version of this game, because it's coming to Vita soon, which seems like a lovely way to experience it.
Old 11-26-2015, 05:59 PM

This game continues to be super great guys! I'm at the start of chapter 3 and fuck man, I kinda love this game. Shit has gotten way real and they do a really kick ass job of making the world feel incredibly lived in and well realized. There's a tangent a minor character goes on at one point about some world history that really stood out to me, she talks about how with the advent of actual VR the otaku/shut-in problem in Japan got really really bad to the point where those with VR addiction started being called 'the cyber dead' but it also led to major advancements in VR tech and virtual world building. Maybe it'll have relevance later but right now it just came across as filling in information about the world that you have no need to know but is still incredibly interesting.

The most important thing is that so far it's not an adventure game. I haven't had to do anything completely stupid and bullshit to advance the story, the only real puzzles I've run into so far have been solvable using stuff in that particular area and they've hardly been tricky. This is important to me because I hate traditional adventure game nonsense and hearing this was an adventure game of sorts almost turned me off but hearing it was a really cool super LGBT friendly cyberpunk story I couldn't say no. My point is if you're like me and can't stand honey on the cat hair type shit this game seems to have none of that so don't be afraid to dive into this.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Beat it, got the canonical ending. Fuck this game is awesome.

I ended up getting the achievements for being everyone's friend which was cool, the characters in this game are pretty alright. I was surprised I got Lexi's since I kind of forgot to ever check in with her after the first time. I'm really looking forward to playing Christmas Day because man I'd love to see a little bit of the aftermath of what happens.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:34 PM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Some days ago, an update for this game came out, which they've named Endless Christmas. [Because, Read-Only Memories EX. Eh? Ehh?]

The update should be available now from wherever you bought & downloaded it! It's marked as v1.2.

Despite having bought the game as a pre-order, I'd never downloaded it. Did recently, and hope to play it at least decently soon!
Old 01-27-2016, 06:53 PM

Warg this game was made for you, play it.

I am excited to enjoy Neo Christmas with Jess.
Old 06-23-2016, 08:45 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

Check this shit out.
Old 06-23-2016, 09:25 AM
Lipton Cup 'o Fangs

Zoe Quinn? Ha, whoo, that's going to stick in the craw of a few people. Also, they've got Jim Sterling in there! And... Todd Bridges from Diff'rent Strokes? Uh, sure, I guess!
Old 06-23-2016, 10:15 AM
Oily Butt Thing

I says to a buddy of mine, this was made by people who loved Snatcher as much as Hideo Kojima loved Blade Runner.

except with less what-Hideo-Kojima-in-his-20s-thinks-is-funny sex jokes.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:22 AM

DAN RYCKERT?!?!?!?!?
Old 06-23-2016, 11:01 AM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
Zoe Quinn? Ha, whoo, that's going to stick in the craw of a few people.
They already didn't like it because it lets you choose your own pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
I says to a buddy of mine, this was made by people who loved Snatcher as much as Hideo Kojima loved Blade Runner.

except with less what-Hideo-Kojima-in-his-20s-thinks-is-funny sex jokes.
Yeah, the whole thing is pretty clearly inspired by Snatcher, but the end sequence is extremely Snatcher.
Old 06-23-2016, 12:30 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Yeah, the whole thing is pretty clearly inspired by Snatcher, but the end sequence is extremely Snatcher.
Well, now I am less interested in it.