The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-20-2017, 11:31 AM
Sudden chomper

7/10 games can be fine, but Mass Effect was stellar through the first 3 games (minus the last hour!). And this one is seemingly twice as long as all the other that came before it, clocking in at closer to 80 hours than 40 (from what I've read). A really long mediocre game is a much harder sell for me than a relatively short one.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 AM

Scores not surprising given the general tenor around the game, but I can't help but be predisposed to enjoy it, it's nice to play a Mass Effect game and it's interesting to see one made almost as an attempt to be a sequel to the first gameplay wise even if that one was my least favorite of the original trilogy. The opening hours were just enough to get me to buy into the game and I figure I'll ultimately have enough fun to justify it.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:48 AM
It's a bird! It's a fish!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
a lot of people (if this doesn't apply to you, then congrats) don't have time for anything that isn't either a best of class game or is laser-pointed to their interests.
Ding-ding-ding. Now that literally every AAA takes a lifetime to finish, I don't have the time to waste playing something that tops out at kinda disappointing. I'm really bummed that this game apparently isn't as good as I was hoping, but I'm not going to complain about saving $80 and 80 hours of my life.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM
120 Days

Kat said in the comments of the review that the story only part of game is like 15 hours.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 AM
so exciting!

Old 03-20-2017, 02:58 PM
noble beast

I'm going to enjoy this game, but not as much as I would've liked, probably. I am ALL IN for liking Bioware things others... do not. (check the posts!!) (please don't... what if you're one of my enemies) But I'm finding myself agreeing with some of the complaints. Gimme some closed worlds, Bioware.

Crafting! My nemesis! At least inventory management is no pain b/c I'm sure I won't be using almost any of the equipment. Right now I'm building a melee vanguard... I might replace Nova for something else, I'm mostly just using aerial melee attacks in its place. I'm playing on Normal so: it does not matter.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Chief Servbot

Give it to me straight, NavelsAreNeat

Have you met any elcor yet
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post

Give it to me straight can I punch a news reporter?
Old 03-20-2017, 11:24 PM
Shields must fall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Give it to me straight is Blasto the Hanar Specter in the game?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:09 AM
is Earnest

Here's the straight dope: I played this for a few hours and it's a good game?! There have been a small handful of odd animations, but otherwise it's gorgeous. The combat is super fun already. Jumping and dashing around feels great. I have pull & throw and they make an amazing explosive combo. And you could always curve shots with some powers, but these are really bendy. My one complaint is that the starting rifle is awful, but I'm sure I'll get more weapon options soon.

The story is more of a slow burn, but it's pretty entertaining so far. There is a fair amount of drama and urgency, but it's also very lighthearted and goofy a lot of the time. Cora & Liam are way better than Kaiden and Ashley, and the supporting cast seems well rounded. Paragon and Renegade are gone and now I feel like I can actually pick options that fit my character's personality instead of trying to game some dumb requirements. It's actually surprisingly freeing.

I've only gotten through one mission so far, but I'm enjoying it. I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to getting back in to it.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:10 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I played a bit after work. So far, it's fun and also NEAT, but I keep trying to pause in single player and jumping instead.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:28 AM
noble beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post

They are all on a very special DLC or sequel ark w/ the other tertiary races
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
No, but maybe you can fuck one? (I will not)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:36 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Cora & Liam are way better than Kaiden and Ashley
I feel like everyone is forgetting just how bad Kaiden and Ashley were. And Liara wasn't great either. I mean, I understand that they should have learned more after doing the two following games but it's hard to introduce brand new characters.

Picking my copy up tonight after work so maybe I'll have a different opinion after that.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
I feel like everyone is forgetting just how bad Kaiden and Ashley were.
I was coming here to post this, but you beat me to it. "Better than Kaiden and Ashley" is the definition of damning with faint praise. Kaiden was that non-descript looking guy from the tutorial who I literally thought was a redshirt destined to die and only realized like a dozen hours in was staying around, and Ashley was actively awful.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:07 AM
夏の夕暮れと

the fact that you can't let both of them die is a real low point of the first game, frankly
Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 AM
Sudden chomper

After reading some reviews and listening to some podcast discussion, the consensus seems to be "lower your expectations and play the game". I'm a huge Mass Effect fan, so I'm almost certainly going to play this game eventually. I know going in that it's not going to be exactly what I want, so hopefully I can focus on what it does well (cool looking planets, solid combat, some OK characters) and enjoy my time with the game. Unless I manage to find a Switch in the next 24 hours, then I think I'll pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
"Better than Kaiden and Ashley"
I read this as "better Kaidan than Ashley" and I wanted to grab you by the shoulders and scream NO, DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

I'm picking this up whenever I'm finished with Zelda: BoTW and it'll be my first Mass Effect game. I'm more than happy with this being my first rodeo; no pre-conceived notions of what a ME game is supposed to be.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Once you get past the opening mission planet, (I hesitate calling it a tutorial, despite it giving you a rundown of the basic combat and field mechanics there's a lot of little optional things to check out), the stint on the hub station serves to get you acquainted with most of the OG Trilogy carryovers in terms of alien races/tech/etc. And as always, there's the Codex to flip through.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:06 AM
is Earnest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I was coming here to post this, but you beat me to it. "Better than Kaiden and Ashley" is the definition of damning with faint praise. Kaiden was that non-descript looking guy from the tutorial who I literally thought was a redshirt destined to die and only realized like a dozen hours in was staying around, and Ashley was actively awful.
Hah, true. I'd say the new folks are better than Jacob & Miranda too (though I've heard some people like her a lot) and ME3 just had James & whichever human didn't die in ME1. Is James actually the best starting character in the OT? This is sort of mind blowing. Anyway, new folks are above par in the first couple of hours.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Hah, true. I'd say the new folks are better than Jacob & Miranda too (though I've heard some people like her a lot) and ME3 just had James & whichever human didn't die in ME1. Is James actually the best starting character in the OT? This is sort of mind blowing. Anyway, new folks are above par in the first couple of hours.
James got a bad rap before ME3 came out, but I think he was a pretty solid character (unlike most of the other humans). Of course, the best Mass Effect crew members are Wrex in ME, Mordin in ME2 and Javik in ME3. Poor old humes don't stand a chance compared to those guys.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:31 AM
is Earnest

Don't forget Garrus in all three!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Don't forget Garrus in all three!
...I guess. He gets better as the series goes on, but he was never in my top tier.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 AM
120 Days

Tali.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:23 AM
夏の夕暮れと

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
...I guess. He gets better as the series goes on, but he was never in my top tier.
it's always been really pleasing to me that (at least if you're jennifer hale) he gets softer in the second game despite everything/everyone else (even liara!) being darker and edgier
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Cora and Liam aren't my favorites of the crew so far, but I actually intend to keep talking to them out of something other than obligation so it's definitely an improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Tali.
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spineshark View Post
it's always been really pleasing to me that (at least if you're jennifer hale) he gets softer in the second game despite everything/everyone else (even liara!) being darker and edgier
Garrus spent the entire first game conflicted about whether to be good space cop or bad space cop and, irrespective of any advice you gave him, in 2 went off to be the space punisher. He always struck me as dark and edgied up even more than the rest of the crew.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:08 AM
noble beast

Ashley and Kaidan are fine. Cora and Liam are better, sure. Miranda, I would rank above any of them, but none are my faves. My takes... do with them what you will.

Okay here's what's simple fun: jumping and then bursting laterally. I still wish to god this were just a linear corridor shooter.

I don't think any of the upgrades to the Nomad seem necessary... yet. (radiation disappears from Eos)The "learn about 4WD" slight incline it can't quite handle right outside the first settlement that I'm constantly stopped by is almost amusing. (almost)

Toughest dudes to kill are these gd remnant monsters in vaults, and my melee Ryder is ill-equipped to deal with them... I will stick it out, though.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 AM
Definitely not a werewolf

I haven't played a lot yet, but this game already seems to have Too Much Junk. That was the best part of ME2 and 3; they got rid of ME1's Too Much Junk.

The acting seems a little bad and the animation has already been touched on.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it, though!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I don't really see why guns and mods are part of Ryder's personal inventory since it's not like you can swap stuff on the fly anyway. But any crafting system must have its doodads (I will probably use Cheat Engine to avoid grinding, because fuck grinding).
Old 03-21-2017, 11:50 AM
noble beast

Oh, that's a good idea... I'm gonna do that... now...

(two minutes later)

This is beyond me.

The Asari sword lets you blink forward, which is pretty fun. Dunno how well it works in combat b/c I just got it.

Is it true that all non-Peebee Asari have the same face (including Dr. Lexi) or is that just a mean rumor. Watch out for it!
Old 03-21-2017, 12:00 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I mean, that was mostly true in the original trilogy as well; Prior to 3 most of the asari outside important plot NPCs used a generic headmorph, the only differences being skin color and facial markings in some cases. 3 mixes it up some, but it's still mostly the same.

Anyway, CE for simple variables like materials is pretty easy; you start a scan with the amount of materials/intel you have, spend/acquire some, do the next scan for the changed total, repeat until you've narrowed down the potential memory addresses. Exp/Skill points seem to be protected, and credits are pointer based, but inventory/research intel seems to be just a basic memory address read/write.

E: I probably mean 2, not 3 re: Asari. Forgot you only visit Illium in 2.

Tags
androm3d4 , anustart , extremely good faces , kevin spacy , make starlove not starwar , mass effect , space , spacing