The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tefari View Post
That is literally all US FF4 DK Cecil did though, hit stuff. So its kind of canon right?
I'm pretty sure FF2SNES is non-canon. The actual canon is apparently FF4DS, for better or worse. Spellblade 2 would be fairly sensical and would improve his utility vastly.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 PM
Objection!

Haha, you can totally beat Dark Knight by just doing nothing, just like in the original game.

It's harder to do it that way since he hits the party pretty hard, but I still managed to get Expert on the stage and get full Mastery on the whole event.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:21 AM
hold back the night

I coasted to the top of Mt. Ordeals with nary a speedbump, but the Dark Knight's Darkness attack hits like five Mack trucks, and he has no compunctions about using it every turn. Once again my victory came down to a single man left standing, and very fittingly this time it was Cecil. Well done, my son. Between that and Cloud's victory-from-the-jaws-of-defeat takedown of Rufus, my time with Record Keeper has had a pretty strong narrative arc so far.

Having gone back and Mastered the two floors of Shinra Tower I didn't get the first time through, I just need to regroup and stomp the Dark Knight's ass a little more thoroughly and I'll have done all my homework. Having four synergy-boosted FF4 characters should help with that.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:23 PM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Apparently the boss is super weak to Blind, which kind of trivializes it.
Good news bad news. Blind makes it way easier, the boss isn't weak to it though. Took me a bunch of tries with my (kind of underlevelled) party.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:07 PM

I started this up recently (JP version, so lots of stuff to do).

It... well, it's slightly less annoying than Puzzles and Dragons so far? P&D is also really fun when it doesn't have its freemium elements, while this game is mostly dull, but has lots of FF fanservice. I guess I might work my way through a few more stages as I wait for a train.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:47 PM
World of Darkness Returns

I ended up uninstalling this after a few days because I was sick of it emailing and posting phone notifications that I should be playing more frequently.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Yes, let's feast!

You can disable notifications on this and every other app you own.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:59 PM
Objection!

Huh. I was actually kind of impressed because it WASN'T spamming me with notifications like some other games of this ilk I had played on Android.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:11 PM
Smudged

Apps tend to whine at you more the less you play them. It's obnoxious.

I beat the boss in one hit with Braver, like everything else in the game which isn't an Elite boss. Paladin Cecil seems like he'll be useful. I'll probably stick Protect and Shell on him. Does Cover exist yet? Are there any Knight skills?
Old 04-09-2015, 05:18 PM
Objection!

Guard is a 2* Knight skill, under the Other category, at least.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Smudged

Guard's just a crummier version of Protect, though, and he can learn Protect. Hopefully more skills are coming soon.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:07 PM
hold back the night

Record Keeper asks you when you first run it whether you want notifications on or off. I selected off and have never received one. You can change it under Config.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Does Cover exist yet? Are there any Knight skills?
The Japanese version apparently has character-specific quests that allow them to level beyond 50 and also gain passive skills. I wonder if that's how Cecil gets Cover.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Smudged

Apparently they nerfed some of the Elite dungeons, including bosses. I don't think anything needed to be made less powerful, but the bosses definitely need a reduction in HP. Part of me is a little disappointed, but apparently there are two more difficulty levels coming in the future that more or less require a capped-out party. I just wish they'd add that content now before I get bored of twiddling my thumbs and forget about the game. The issue isn't that the game is hard, but that there's so little of it now.

Also, apparently DeNA's American branch just had a significant wave of layoffs? That's a shame, especially since this game seems to be doing well. I imagine the deal with Nintendo brought some restructuring along with it.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:13 PM
pchoooooo!

I can confirm that the FFX elite dungeons are much easier now.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:32 PM
GASP

I didn't manage to beat Shinra Tower in time (got stuck at the long range boss), but I did acquire both Cecils on Mt. Ordeals.

...because I need to play SOMETHING after having forgotten my OoT cart back in Michigan. Still annoyed over that, yes.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:11 AM
:O

I've been upgrading my FF4 party slowly as I burn through the FF4 elites . Mostly my time is spent hunting for FF4 equipment, the synergy bonus seems really important.

Last edited by Nodal; 04-14-2015 at 05:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:14 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Equipment that's half-decent seems to be more important than the synergy bonus. I've cleared FFVII, FFX, and half of FFIV on elite, mostly relying on character synergy rather than equipment synergy. Most of that was before the elite nerf. My FFIV party is Cecil, Cecil, Kain, Rydia, and Cloud; and my FFX party was Cecil(P), Cloud, Rydia, Tidus, and Wakka.

And it's not that I have fantastic equipment, either -- I haven't pulled anything better than 3*, and I've pulled a single 2* out of the free draw. (The premium draw gave me a Halberd three times, which I've fully upgraded. The game considers it a 5* weapon now, which is reasonable since it's a whole 50% stronger than my next best weapon. I can't be too bitter about that.)
Old 04-15-2015, 07:42 AM
hold back the night

New Sector 7 event starting tonight. From the description it sounds like Aerith is all we're getting in terms of characters. Yay?

Honestly I was really hoping for an FF6 event; as many story dungeons as we have for that game compared to the others, it's kind of crazy that we don't have a single character yet.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:56 AM
Smudged

If we follow the Japanese order of events, Terra is after Aerith. And the next batch of story dungeons which is coming "soon" will have Cyan.

The new event sounds dumb. Instead of a long sequence of dungeons, it's one dungeon with three difficulty levels you grind over and over for special currency to spend on items which are only available during the event. Dumb dumb dumb.

This whole game is dumb and yet I keep playing it. I let it grind while I play other games.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:17 AM
Objection!

Quote:
The new event sounds dumb. Instead of a long sequence of dungeons, it's one dungeon with three difficulty levels you grind over and over for special currency to spend on items which are only available during the event. Dumb dumb dumb.
It's not really only items you can get during the event, since even beside how most of the rewards are orbs and mythril, the gear you can get is stuff you've probably already gotten from the OTHER events (but hey, I could use another 4* Protect Vest).

Also, if you don't like the item selection, that at least makes it easier to get what you want from the event and get back to... well, whatever else you want to be doing, like Elite progression or farming dailies for materials.

As well, yeah. I've also been commenting myself about how... silly the spread of characters currently in the game is. Like, there's already more FF7 characters in the game then there are stages, and the character you unlock for clearing the current Classic FF5 stages is a generic. And not even a generic you would normally associate with FF5 anyway!
Old 04-15-2015, 08:55 AM
hold back the night

Quote:
I actually don't mind this, at least in theory -- I'm glad they're doing something a little different from the usual model. Sounds kinda fun. Maybe it'll turn out to be a pain in the ass in practice, though.

What's taking so long with the story dungeons, anyway? The only translation work needed is names of any new enemies and equipment, and two sentences of plot per dungeon that nobody actually reads. Get it in gear already, DeNA!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:27 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
As well, yeah. I've also been commenting myself about how... silly the spread of characters currently in the game is. Like, there's already more FF7 characters in the game then there are stages, and the character you unlock for clearing the current Classic FF5 stages is a generic. And not even a generic you would normally associate with FF5 anyway!
It is the FF5 Bard sprite, and aside from 5, only 3 and 4 have had a bard, so it's not that much of a stretch. Besides, how do you design a Bartz for this game? Mechanically, FF5 has the least clearly-defined characters of the series, which is kind of a feat when 7, 8, and 12 are sitting right over here.

It'd be nice if the "core" generics got FF5 synergy. It doesn't look like FF1 is getting representation anyway, and the rest of the games have named characters ever since the FF3 remake.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:32 AM
hold back the night

Japan apparently has Warrior of Light from the Dissidia games as its sole FF1 representative. No idea when/if we're getting him.
Old 04-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Japan apparently has Warrior of Light from the Dissidia games as its sole FF1 representative. No idea when/if we're getting him.
Noooo, that's terrible and stupid
Old 04-15-2015, 10:04 AM
so exciting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
It is the FF5 Bard sprite, and aside from 5, only 3 and 4 have had a bard, so it's not that much of a stretch. Besides, how do you design a Bartz for this game? Mechanically, FF5 has the least clearly-defined characters of the series, which is kind of a feat when 7, 8, and 12 are sitting right over here.
you put him in the fighter class and call it a day.
you put lenna in the white mage class and call it a day
Old 04-15-2015, 11:04 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
And it's not that I have fantastic equipment, either -- I haven't pulled anything better than 3*, and I've pulled a single 2* out of the free draw. (The premium draw gave me a Halberd three times, which I've fully upgraded. The game considers it a 5* weapon now, which is reasonable since it's a whole 50% stronger than my next best weapon. I can't be too bitter about that.)
OK, I take it back. I finally coaxed a 4* Diamond Sword out of the machine, and without upgrades it was already my second-best weapon by a fair margin. Upgrading it to level 9/15 puts it at a higher attack power than my 20/20 Halberd++ (the aforementioned "5*" weapon, upgraded from the 3* Halberd).

All my best equipment is FFXII. Where's my FFXII dungeons?
Old 04-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Besides, how do you design a Bartz for this game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajaro Pete View Post
you put him in the fighter class and call it a day.
Judging from his sprite, that seems to be what they're going to do. Though none of the FF5 guys seem to be in yet, but I think I was hearing that they're soonish for the JP client.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:13 PM
so exciting!

Yes that would be the point of my statement 😃
Old 04-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Objection!

So, to get enough for Aerith, you only need to complete Easy and Normal and get their mastery. If you were strong enough to get Sephiroth and Paladin Cecil, you're more then strong enough to clear those maps.

Aerith is basically statted as a WHM version of Rydia. 3* Black Magic, 5* White Magic, 2* Summoning, and 2* Support.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:15 PM
hold back the night

Holy shit the store interface for this event is the worst thing ever. It's a fuck-off long list of items, some of which you can purchase up to 10 times. However, there's no way to buy more than one of anything at a time, and it throws you back to the top of the list after every purchase. Can't wait until I get down to the very bottom and have to scroll through the whole thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over

Tags
final fantasy , five dollar horse armor , freemium fantasy , gil toss , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , probability education , square enix , thin edge of the biggs , thin edge of the vicks , thin edge of the wedge