The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 04-02-2015, 06:35 PM
Objection!

Yay, beat all the floors of the tower (though I'm going to come back and redo 61~65 later to get the mastery on it), and got both characters.

I'll level Sephiroth later, but for now I really need to push my way through more Elites and get more stamina.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Smudged

I'm torn between clearing out some Elite dungeons and spamming Floors 36-40 to get Sephie and Tifa experience. I might want to hang back on grinding so I don't burn out, though. If common wisdom is to be believed, once you have a party capable of finishing Events you don't need to stress about deadlines anymore, because the truly hard stuff is relegated to permanent dungeons. I should probably let the game recede into the 15-minutes-a-day distraction it's designed to be.

I really hope we'll get a healer with decent damage output besides the Keeper. Maybe Lightning? Ashe?
Old 04-02-2015, 08:27 PM
Thunder Wool

its not too late
you can still turn back
you don't have to lose yourself in this free-to-play timesink

N O E S C A P E
Old 04-02-2015, 09:09 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I really hope we'll get a healer with decent damage output besides the Keeper. Maybe Lightning? Ashe?
Rydia already exists!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:20 AM
Smudged

Rydia's damage output only last as long as her ability charges, which are cut in half if I give her Cure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
its not too late
you can still turn back
you don't have to lose yourself in this free-to-play timesink
Sometimes I like playing stupid games. Is that so wrong?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:29 AM
hold back the night

I downloaded this a couple nights ago and have gotten kind of addicted to it. In terms of story progression I just started the FF6 dungeons, though mostly I've been creeping my way up Shinra Tower. I managed to snag Tifa, but the last couple floors were some pretty rough sledding for me so I'm trying to beef up to go all the way before the event ends. Rydia's intense squishiness has been a bit of an obstacle.

A couple newbie questions I haven't figured out yet myself:

- Has anyone gotten any accessories yet? I have yet to find a single one, either from the gatcha pulls or dungeons.

- Does a dungeon's difficulty level directly correlate to a recommended level for your characters, or is it on a different scale? I'm wondering if I'm ready to start challenging Elite dungeons yet...

- For the gatcha pulls: do I understand correctly that anything can potentially come out of the free daily pull? Thus if I don't manage to get something like Tifa's Grand Glove out of the rare pull, I still have a slim chance on the daily?

- What determines when new types of abilities become available for crafting? I noticed a few being added to my selection screen that I don't have the materials for yet. Is it story progression?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:40 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
- Has anyone gotten any accessories yet? I have yet to find a single one, either from the gatcha pulls or dungeons.
The event drops 4. Those are the only ones I've seen so far.

Quote:
- Does a dungeon's difficulty level directly correlate to a recommended level for your characters, or is it on a different scale? I'm wondering if I'm ready to start challenging Elite dungeons yet...
It kinda does? But there's some more scaling attached to it that I'm not quite sure on. My ~L25 average party still has some trouble on Difficulty 24 Elite, though it's more that they may not get the full Mastery. If you're making use of synergy bonuses and keeping your gear upgraded (fully upgraded gear gets a HUGE bonus to the synergy bonus), you should probably be fine to start challenging Elites once you're at the same level.

Quote:
- For the gatcha pulls: do I understand correctly that anything can potentially come out of the free daily pull? Thus if I don't manage to get something like Tifa's Grand Glove out of the rare pull, I still have a slim chance on the daily?
Yes, the free daily has every single item in the game (though maybe not accessories), with it weighted heavily towards 1*. You could still get any 5*, even the event ones, from it.

Speaking of, those event 5*s don't go away. What happens is that they have a slightly boosted drop rate during the event, and then go back into normal circulation. It's something like 1% chance for any given 5*, but it goes up to 5% or so during the event.

Quote:
- What determines when new types of abilities become available for crafting? I noticed a few being added to my selection screen that I don't have the materials for yet. Is it story progression?
Patches, and I don't think anything's actually been added (though maybe Dark Attack was; it's positioned in the order kind of oddly and I didn't recall seeing anything in that area before the event). You might instead be noticing the abilities being reordered based on your orb availability?
Old 04-03-2015, 08:43 AM
hold back the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Patches, and I don't think anything's actually been added (though maybe Dark Attack was; it's positioned in the order kind of oddly and I didn't recall seeing anything in that area before the event). You might instead be noticing the abilities being reordered based on your orb availability?
Oh, that's probably it then.

Thanks for the answers!
Old 04-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Smudged

Quote:
There are four you get as rewards in Shinra Tower.
Quote:
It's a different scale.
Quote:
Once an item is added to the pool it's in there permanently. The Buster Sword is still there, but it has the same drop rate as every other 5 star weapon.

Getting a 5 star weapon from the daily pull is absurdly rare, though. Like hundredths of a percent. The only time I've ever gotten one is from the rare pull, and even then the drop rate is like 5-10%. Would you like to buy some gems?
Quote:
I think they just add new abilities as new events come out.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:23 AM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
I downloaded this a couple nights ago and have gotten kind of addicted to it. In terms of story progression I just started the FF6 dungeons, though mostly I've been creeping my way up Shinra Tower. I managed to snag Tifa, but the last couple floors were some pretty rough sledding for me so I'm trying to beef up to go all the way before the event ends. Rydia's intense squishiness has been a bit of an obstacle.
FF6 is the last set of dungeons for now. It's surprising that they released the game with so little content, really... Around this point (and especially with Tifa), you should be good to do the expert-level FF7 dungeons, though.

The tutorial does cover this, so I'm hesitant to even mention it, but you do have Rydia in the back row, right? You can put Wakka there, too, if you have him with a ranged weapon (and you should, because the second- and third-last floors of the event dungeon have ranged-only bosses, which is a real kick in the pants because it's entirely possible to have zero ranged options in your party).
Old 04-03-2015, 09:54 AM
hold back the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogri View Post
The tutorial does cover this, so I'm hesitant to even mention it, but you do have Rydia in the back row, right? You can put Wakka there, too, if you have him with a ranged weapon (and you should, because the second- and third-last floors of the event dungeon have ranged-only bosses, which is a real kick in the pants because it's entirely possible to have zero ranged options in your party).
I do, thank you. Even so, a couple solid hits are still enough to drop Rydia. I only added her recently, so it's just a matter of getting her up to speed with everyone else.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:34 PM
Hot sports journalist

So hey, this game! It's...pretty boring, isn't it!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Not A Low-Level Life Form

Man. Kind of wish this game didn't run like complete ass.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:06 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I got Sephiroth yesterday. He has Black Magic 3, but no actual Magic stat, so what's the point? I guess I should be slapping status magic on him instead of just wishing he'd be useful with Rydia's leftovers.

Despite good all-around stats, he'll probably be hard to fit on a team, at least until we get more FF7 dungeons. Nothing he brings to the table isn't already fulfilled competently by at least two other characters.

Still can't believe this made it out the doors with so little content.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:27 PM
hold back the night

Aaaahahahahaaaa~

I made it to the top of Shinra Tower and took my first shot at Rufus tonight. From how quickly I was plowing through enemies it seemed I was at about the right level to have a decent chance, but then Tyro (my healer) caught a succession of unlucky blows and went down before I had a chance to heal him.

Though the run seemed doomed at that point, I figured I'd at least get a look at what the Rufus fight was like. And I did pretty well for a while, though without healing, he was dropping my guys one by one. Finally it was down to just Cloud with a sliver of health, who managed to squeeze off one last limit break before Rufus' next turn.

RUFUS: Heh, heh... That's all for today.
ME: ... :OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Sephiroth Get! A much more exciting battle than I would have expected out of this game. I'm very pleased.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:52 AM
Yes, let's feast!

You're lucky. I think I got through Rufus on my third try. It's the only event dungeon I haven't mastered, so I'm due for round 2 soon.

Other than that, it's just the expert dungeons from here. I want to like this game (even though it's 90% autobattle fodder, which is terrible), but I seriously doubt there's enough here to keep my attention for more than a few more days.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Smudged

There should be more content coming once this event ends. You're meant to pick at it slowly over the course of months. But yes, it's very dumb that most of the game is fodder. A tighter design with just boss fights and party building would be a lot more fun, but alas, wouldn't fit the stupid business model. I'll probably keep hopping in for the events, though, because I want more characters. The Red XIII sprite is adorable and I want to tap it.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:35 AM
hold back the night

I'm hoping the next event is Mt. Ordeals, as that was Japan's first event.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:49 AM
Yes, let's feast!

I would be all over Paladin Cecil. That is exactly what the current lineup is lacking.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:36 PM
Smudged

Default Now they just have to fix everything else in the UI!

According to Reddit, the game is getting a party loadout feature eventually, so you can switch between pre-sets quickly instead of spending fifteen minutes in the Party screen every time you want to take advantage of synergy. I don't know if it will let you designate gear and abilities as well, but here's hoping.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:40 PM
Objection!

While it's still not a synergy-respecting (or even more intelligent in general) Optimize, that'll help a lot when dealing with the "endgame" content!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:18 PM
hold back the night

Quote:
Upcoming Event
Light Against the Darkness Event Scheduled for 6:00 PM 4/7 PST (2:00 AM 4/8 UTC)

A legendary character faces a struggle within, the dark side against the light. Face the challenges of Mount Ordeals to cast off the shadows of the past!

Use the Daily Dungeons to build up your party now!
Old 04-07-2015, 10:49 PM
hold back the night

Currently driving a steamroller up Mt. Ordeals. Stamina requirements are the only thing keeping Scarmiglione safe from me.

Got Dark Knight Cecil. I wonder if I can have him and Paladin Cecil in my party at the same time?
Old 04-08-2015, 07:27 AM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
So hey, this game! It's...pretty boring, isn't it!
Agreed. Just erased it. Phone games! Garbage!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:02 AM
GASP

I don't know if I'm going to have enough time to beat the Shinra event before it ends. I just started playing a couple days ago and my party is around level 15. I managed to get Tifa and Dark Knight Cecil though.

What is the best use for mithril, gatcha pulls? No way am I spending actual cash money on this silliness.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Objection!

Pulls is the best use, yeah. The only other uses are increasing inventory space (pointless once you start upgrading, and even if you want to have multiple sets for synergy bonuses, you're probably not going to run into the 100 item limit all that easily), restoring stamina, recovering from a wipe, or paying for resting in a dungeon.
Old 04-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Smudged

I hit the item limit all the time, especially on weapon/armor upgrade days. I still wouldn't spend Mythril on expanding it, though. Only use it on gatcha pulls.

If you can get to Floors 36-40, the boss there gives nice experience. Though grinding constantly will probably make you hate the game. Sephiroth should be back in a few months.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Yes, let's feast!

DK Cecil is... pretty bad! He only gets one skillset, and it's the one everyone gets (Combat).

But his stats are OK, and the juicy synergy bonus means that I'll be going through the FF4 elite dungeons with Cecil, Cecil, Kain, Rydia, and Cloud.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Objection!

Yeah, DK Cecil is better then WAR, but that's about it. His only real strength is being a beatstick for FF4 synergy, or if you don't want to use generics.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:08 AM
contains words & diagrams

That is literally all US FF4 DK Cecil did though, hit stuff. So its kind of canon right?

Tags
final fantasy , five dollar horse armor , freemium fantasy , gil toss , lamb meets slaughter , mobile , probability education , square enix , thin edge of the biggs , thin edge of the vicks , thin edge of the wedge