The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about meatspace games

Old 01-27-2015, 11:40 PM
We just don't know.

Default BattleCON discussion thread!

I played Battlecon with friends! We tried new characters and fumbled around. First I had the two of them play, and Marmalee beat Pendros (who seems really fidgety and difficult to work around). Then I completely trounced Kajia with Karin by taking an early lead, but once she got some bugs going it at least wasn't so one-sided.

THEN we tried 2v1 and I brought out EX Karin. One was Runika, but my other friend picked Ottavia, and got my priority like 4 fucking times out of the 7? beats. It was gross and I got completely smashed.

Then we tried another, EX Cesar vs Alexian and Aria. Much closer and more exciting: I knocked out Alexian, but then let Aria slip past me to First Aid him back, knocked out Aria but Alexian finished me off.

Fun times all around. I'm getting more and more people hooked on this thing, which is good 'cause I bought it and all. They're probably going to buy Fate when it comes out, so we'll have even more characters to mess around with! Maybe I can get someone else to pick up War.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:41 AM
TARANTUL

I'd wait for War Remastered if you can.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:57 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
I'd wait for War Remastered if you can.
If I ever refer to War I mean the remaster. I meant to imply that because Fate will be coming out at the same time.

Still salty over Ottavia. >:C
Old 01-30-2015, 08:00 AM
TARANTUL

Ottavia turns things into pure mind games, and she can really punish you for having a limited priority spread on your styles in hand.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:49 PM
Crabjörn

Ottavia would be one of my picks for top tier characters, which wouldn't bug me except that cybernetically-enhanced snipers are an archetype I didn't really think existed but now thoroughly dislike.

Pendros is probably the most complex of the Novice level characters, and people have suggested swapping his tier with one of the Basic level characters, especially since Karin can do the "I'm basically all around good" thing arguably better than he can. Maybe put Kajia down on Novice level or something.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:23 PM
We just don't know.

I absolutely stomped my friend's Lymn with Rexan, then my Mikhail got absolutely stomped by his Gaspar.

Starting to wonder about general character balance. It seems like in the hands of competent neophytes, a lot of matches will simply come down to who happened to pick which character. Especially if said neophytes are still feeling their way through new characters they've never used.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:47 PM
hi there

Well, simply by the nature of unique abilities and styles, there are almost always going to be times where some days you go up against a character whose entire schtick can be summed up as 'winning against your character'. There's not a lot you can do about that except to cut out some of the differences between characters, which is probably a bad step to take.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 PM
Crabjörn

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
Well, simply by the nature of unique abilities and styles, there are almost always going to be times where some days you go up against a character whose entire schtick can be summed up as 'winning against your character'. There's not a lot you can do about that except to cut out some of the differences between characters, which is probably a bad step to take.
I feel like the number of one-sided matchups isn't nearly as high as that. Even in places where it might look like a given character has very few options, there's usually a way to turn things around in a clever way, and even with weaker characters (some people think Marmelee is bottom tier for some stupid reason) they have a lot of cool options that can be hard to anticipate. BattleCON is a game where being unpredictable is far and away better than just having higher stats.

Unless you're fighting Ottavia or Arec. Then yeah, you probably are hosed. (I may be biased.)
Old 02-03-2015, 08:17 AM
TARANTUL

Unpredictable works vs. Ottavia, as long as you're unpredictable and fast.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:38 PM
We just don't know.

Some other matchups I've played recently (My char listed first)

Runika vs Mikhael. Exactly as you would imagine, it started fast and fierce and the second half was laughably slow and dinky. Very close game though. We forgot the beat timer and almost certainly went well over 15.

Voco vs. Shekthur. My friend was tired and missed some obvious plays, but it still wasn't bad. She got in some seriously hard hits and I beat her by 8. Voco was kind of neat. I consider it a personal victory that I got to all 7 zombies once (second-last beat).

I feel like maybe we should have a battlecon thread that isn't "play battlecon forum version" for discussion? There are lots of fans here, and with so much new content about to drop...!
Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 PM
hi there

People are using the "Play BattleCON" thread for discussion as well, so you can easily put stuff in there without issue.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:08 AM
Crabjörn

Voco is kind of like Dan Hibiki, in that you will probably lose, but you'll have so much fun doing it that you won't care.

(also he has one of the game's sole hard-counters in the form of Zaamassal. Don't let him get Paradigm of Haste up. Ever.)
Old 02-11-2015, 11:31 AM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

Quote:
People are using the "Play BattleCON" thread for discussion as well, so you can easily put stuff in there without issue.
I suspect that (1) a lot of people feel it's rude to just throw comments out in the thread in the middle of a game and (2) some of us who want to make our little "Baby's First Babblecom" comments are intimidated by the idea of jumping into the thread where the big kids are playing the game without even having the cards in front of them! Sometimes even multiple games at once! And they can still keep it all straight! (Or maybe that second one is just me.)
Old 02-11-2015, 01:00 PM
>MAGIC

I've just picked up Devastation after trying out the print-your-own-demo, and I'm having lots of fun 'unlocking' characters! Last night I tried Special Actions and opened Flight 2, then did a Rexan v. Mikhail match that had a tense couple of rounds at the end when we were both in lethal range. Thus far, Marmelee was fun but stressful to play, I always felt like I was about to crash and burn (part of that might be that I played against Alexian), thought I managed to win that match. Pendros I'll need to see more of, he seemed kinda weak, especially when I played Karin against him and just had way better mobility to take advantage of his markers.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:08 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
People are using the "Play BattleCON" thread for discussion as well, exclusively because the current game is sooooo slooooowwwww, so you can easily put stuff in there without issue.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:15 PM
>MAGIC

This thread? It didn't look like there was any out-of-game discussion going on in the most recent couple of pages...
Old 02-11-2015, 04:28 PM
We just don't know.

Default BattleCON discussion thread!

This is where we talk about BattleCON instead of play it! (Mods: Think we can get the recent BattleCON discussion from NWIOT cut into this one?) Recent matches, favorite characters, metagame strategy, new content coming out soon!

Right now I only have Devastation. I managed to pick it up at a local game store (surprising!) For $5 less than list price (More surprising!) That said, just the other day I saw that you could get it in the mid-$50s range on Amazon, if you're so inclined. Do it!
Old 02-11-2015, 04:32 PM
TARANTUL

This is the best I've been able to do getting Devastation to fix back in the box. Used to be arranged by flight but now it's by whatever the fuck order they end up going back in.

I expect once I get war remastered and fate I'll need to move to something more like Nich's solution.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:35 PM
We just don't know.

I gave up and took out the plastic molding entirely and used a lot of ziploc baggies to divide up cards by flight, then bases, arenas, and bosses. It works pretty well, if not a little sigh-inducing.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:41 PM
heh

I just ordered a copy of Devastation last week! International shipping being as slow as it is means I won't see it until next week at the earliest, but I'm still super excited. Hopefully a few others and I can work our way slowly through the flights until we've got the hang of everything.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:52 AM
We just don't know.

Karin stomped on my Adjenna, and then just barely lost to my Kaitlyn. I'm starting to think that Karin is just really good. She seems to have a pretty good balance of everything going on - decent priority and power and movement and control.

I did think Adjenna and Kaitlyn were pretty fun, though. That's really what I get out of playing this game, the sheer variety in characters. That's also why picking up War and Fate right away once they drop is so tempting.

Speaking of which: I heard that starting with Fate (and War maybe?) the official starting tiles are no longer 2 and 6 but 3 and 5, starting at a range of 2 instead of 4, to give a lot more options for opening moves. I've started playing a lot of my matches at 3 and 5 for that reason, and yeah, it gives you a little more to do. What do you guys think?
Old 02-13-2015, 11:47 AM
Crabjörn

I think that choice hurts long-range characters a lot more, but then, there aren't as many that need to fight at long range to survive. You basically have Kaitlyn, Rukyuk, and Byron or Kallistar on a bad day.
Old 02-13-2015, 12:22 PM
TARANTUL

I think it's an awkward starting range, but so is 4. 3 would be the best, but the board isn't laid out for it.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 PM
Radical Sandwich Anarchy

I tried the single player mode tonight, the easiest dungeon. Maybe it's just how I'm feeling today (I only had time to play because I called in sick for lack of sleep and being on the strongest allergy meds I can find) or maybe it's because Ottavia's not my style, but the first few fights were too easy and then I just completely flamed out in the last couple fights.

Overall it felt really puzzle-y, but the fact that monster moves are random kind of ruined it.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Crabjörn

Unfortunately the War reprint looks to be pushed a bit farther back in its release. Again. The expected date is sometime in May now.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:51 PM
TARANTUL

And my reply is still "August 2016, right."
Old 02-20-2015, 11:00 PM
We just don't know.

Good thing I've barely touched a fraction of the total Devastation content.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:29 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalir View Post
Unfortunately the War reprint looks to be pushed a bit farther back in its release. Again. The expected date is sometime in May now.
Did Fate et al get pushed back along with it?

The first time I saw Kajia played it was a little one-sided against her. Pretty raw. This time I played her against my friend's Eligor and it was such a drubbing he folded in frustration. Man if you land her mandibles base with pretty much anything, you can put just an astonishing number of bugs up. It also helps that she's just really fun to play as, jumping around opponents and tossing them back and forth.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:02 AM
>MAGIC

I'm still working on unlocking Flight 3 of Devastation (I want to do an EX duel and fight Dragon Professor), so I'm wondering - what's up with those "guest characters" the wiki mentions? Are they (Legacy, VG Gal Iris, etc.) packed in there somewhere? Or are they in some special backer edition...?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Crabjörn

Promo characters. They're usually included as part of backer editions or (I think) given out at cons.

Tags
battlecon , six degrees of cadenza