The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-09-2015, 01:17 PM
EARTH FOREVER

apparently peri-dot is also a legit pronunciation. I still found that funny though
Old 01-09-2015, 07:38 PM
oh my car

Either pronunciation is valid.

I love how good this show is at making shit get real, and a large part of that is the contrast with the super chill daily life stuff.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:59 PM
is Earnest

I just watched the three latest and man that was a great trio of episodes. This show is so dang good at switching between weird and exciting and heartbreaking.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:35 PM
D=

The latest episode is just amazing. And so is the Keep Beach City Weird post about it!
Old 01-15-2015, 11:29 PM
Bob

I loved the callout to all the chip-beat artists, what with the Gameboy, Gameboy Advanced, etc. at the DJ table. And of course, the episode itself was great.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Conquers the World

This was my favorite part of the episode

Old 01-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Same. I jumped back 15 seconds and watched it again as soon as it happened. I was going to post a screen-cap in the thread too, but now I don't have to.

I'd quite like to know what Lars and Sadie were whispering about when Stevonnie walked in on them. If I was supposed to be able to tease anything out of the snippet we got then I utterly failed.

Also, how about Garnet's sexually aggressive dance with Pearl (prompting a blush), and Steven's later attempt to emulate it? I'm still unpacking that, I think. It was played for laughs (and I did), but, thinking on it further, even if Garnet and Pearl have an understanding that makes that okay, someone really should have admonished Steven.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBear View Post
I'd quite like to know what Lars and Sadie were whispering about when Stevonnie walked in on them. If I was supposed to be able to tease anything out of the snippet we got then I utterly failed.

Also, how about Garnet's sexually aggressive dance with Pearl (prompting a blush), and Steven's later attempt to emulate it? I'm still unpacking that, I think. It was played for laughs (and I did), but, thinking on it further, even if Garnet and Pearl have an understanding that makes that okay, someone really should have admonished Steven.
There's honestly a pretty constant subtext that the Gems are not good role models, and quite possibly not even good people. Garnet's bad habits are less constantly on display than Pearl & Amethyst's, but all three pretty consistently treat any human being as beneath their notice (it's interesting that they spare Connie the scorn and/or disregard they give Steven's dad, the Pizzas, etc), and the episodes where other Gems show up seem to be hinting pretty heavily that they're "refugees from an interstellar war", and maybe not on the "good guy" side.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:44 PM
oh my car

We've seen quite a bit about the gems' implied backstory. Rose was their leader, and she was the one who thought humans were cool. The others clearly thought the world of her, and while they didn't really understand humans, they care about them for her sake, and, by extension for Steven's. The important thing to remember about them is that they are inhuman; it's only by coincidence that they look human.

Even Amethyst only eats because she enjoys the novel sensation of digestion. This is a particularly good example because food is one of the most important metaphors in this program. Food is love in Steven Universe. Check out how virtually every family in Beach City has a food motif going on, how many times things are explained in terms of food, how often food is present at dramatic moments, how often food imagery appears seemingly randomly. I can't say for sure, but I am almost positive that the food motif is expressed in every single episode. (Though it's more subtle in some cases than in others; witness Stevonnie representing her inner dialog using one donut with a hole and one without in Alone Together). And Steven's gem is in his navel, which is not only directly adjacent to his intestines (explaining why his healing is connected to the digestive fluid saliva), but also the point where an umbilical cord would connect in a regular human.

As for that last spoiler of yours, well, the Crystal Gems might or might not be the sort of aliens humans can be comfortable with, but "the bad guys" is a relative term, and if Peridot is representative of their enemies, it's easy to be the good guys in comparison to someone who kills her babies (an incredibly symbolic act in a series with such strong motherhood/parenthood themes). Not to mention that she looks even less human - hell, less alive - than the gems we've seen, including the monsters.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
We've seen quite a bit about the gems' implied backstory. Rose was their leader, and she was the one who thought humans were cool. The others clearly thought the world of her, and while they didn't really understand humans, they care about them for her sake, and, by extension for Steven's.
I actually don't think Rose's surviving crew really care about humans on any level or even pretend to-- they fight gem-monsters, but I think it's more of a "clean up our messes" kind of thing than defending the Earth per se-- they don't seem to care about collateral damage to the city at all, and only help fix the aftermath when Steven asks them to (just look at how much battle damage is lying around in the Keep Beach City Weird episode; and actually their own temple exterior is in pretty sorry shape, I wonder if humanity built it for them in prehistory or something). People are just not on their radar, aside from Amethyst, who will troll anything/one if she gets bored enough.

Excellent catch on the food thing.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:57 PM
oh my car

Well, yeah, that's what I meant. They don't care about humans for their own sake, but Rose saw something in those weird apes, so they at least try to give them due consideration when it's not possible to just ignore them. They don't use their powers on humans, for instance - that's not the sort of thing that the likes of Lapis and Peridot seem likely to do.

Greg represents all of humanity.
Old 01-22-2015, 05:46 PM
D=

Whoa, shit got pretty real this episode. Kinda ironic considering the test was totally fake. I'm no Bongo Bill, but I couldn't help but notice the continuing food metaphor in the Kitchen Calamity board game the gems were playing at the beginning; Steven had a pretty easy time of it, but everybody else just didn't seem to understand it. Anyway, a great episode!
Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 PM
Bob

That was... pretty touching. And complex.

The gems realized that Steven needed a confidence boost, but we see Steven's newly-found maturity by realizing that the gems also needed a confidence boost, too. This is a pretty fantastic cartoon.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:02 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Greg represents all of humanity.
Sure, that's fair.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:47 PM
oh my car

Steven's strength (in the real way, but also in the sense of controlling his powers) comes from his emotions, not his ability to acrobat his way around elaborate holographic deathtraps. The true test he faced, although it involved a shock and a loss of innocence, was to gain a deeper and more selfless love, a compassion for those that he can (literally) look down on, even though they don't understand and should know better. Like his mother!
Old 01-24-2015, 10:22 PM
D=

So I wrote a thing about this episode. I don't know, maybe it's terrible?
Old 01-24-2015, 10:34 PM
oh my car

This stokes me. I have been stoked, and I remain stoked.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:30 PM
D=

Aw man, that looks cool!

Though for a moment there I thought you were going to link to the sneak peek of "On the Run", which is also stoke-worthy, in a different sort of way. How much you wanna bet Steven and Amethyst are gonna in some way deal with "the very fear resting within themselves"?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:08 AM
Bob

Quote:
This stokes me. I have been stoked, and I remain stoked.
I was there! It looks very cool. Meeting Rebecca Sugar in person made my MAGFest.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:04 PM
D=

So, this episode was pretty great!

I might need a while to process all the implications, though.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

I was laughing so hard at that ending.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:15 AM
oh my car

Three things appeared in the first episode that are definitely going to be important: Cookie Cat, Centipeedle, and Steven's shield. Cookie Cat is part of the food motif, but also part of the cat motif, which comes up less often and is highly mysterious (see Lion).

Cookie Cat is a refugee of an interstellar war, who left his family behind. Does this sound familiar to you at all. Hmm.

Among the things that Steven never considered might be evil is Cookie Cat. Another one was Peridot.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:31 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Get outta my life, Ninja Squad!

Yeahhh! New Ninja Squad!

Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 AM
Better be the real thing.

The best line: I drink coffee for breakfast!
Old 02-02-2015, 06:56 AM
Remembers Love

Old 02-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

I just realized those killer bees are probably Beedrill. All those death animations were cute. I also realized the congratulations from last week was Evangelion.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:47 PM

In addition to the Sanic, there's also Hero from Ian JQ's high school webcomic, RPGWorld on Steven's windowsill as he clears out his toy collection to make room for "Big Boy Now" things.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:56 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic View Post
In addition to the Sanic, there's also Hero from Ian JQ's high school webcomic, RPGWorld on Steven's windowsill as he clears out his toy collection to make room for "Big Boy Now" things.
*briefly jumps a few articles*

....the guy who made that old RPGWorld webcomic does the voice of Wallo in Bravest Warriors?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat
Old 02-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Family Man

I guess now we know where the Gem monsters from Season 1 came from.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:14 PM
D=

Well, that escalated quickly. 50 bucks says we haven't seen the last of this "Kindergarten".

Tags
cartoons , cats=body horror , cheap tactics , dew and doritos , don't call again , gay agenda , healing lacrimal essence , i panicked , i'm bob , lgbt , mom collection , playing with swords , rose schwartz , sadder and gayer , singing while crying , steven universe