The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 02-28-2014, 08:03 AM
Espurrs are proud.

As much as I do like the CGI cartoon, it is kinda bullshit that all the extra content is based on that version when the game proper doesn't even include the game adaptation. Seriously, either make the extra content from the games actually included or put Ghostly Adventures in the bundle. Hell, at least make the other character skins. (I would actually kill to play as Betrayus in any of these games)
Old 02-28-2014, 12:42 PM
..and his little cat, too

Ghostly Adventures just came out at retail, I doubt they're eager to cannibalize its sales that quickly. And which version?

Something like that jump or dash game from mobile, though...
Old 02-28-2014, 01:07 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Battle Royale was also released on iOS, although playing it on anything less than a full-sized iPad is basically impossible, because it's still multiplayer only.
Well you can play single player against an AI opponent, but it's extremely obvious the game's intended to be played with other players, what with there only being two mazes and the focus being on killing the other Pac-Men.

I was surprised by how low budget Pac-Man Battle Royale is. It looks more like somebody's in progress Flash game project than something you would expect to see in arcades.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:51 AM
Spear of Justice

So Pac-Man Championship Edition turns ten (!) this year, and since I recently dug my dusty ol' 360 out of the closet, I decided to give CE a spin for old times' sake. Surprising no one, it's still incredibly fun to play and I got a real kick out of sweeping up the last couple of achievements I missed the first time around.

On a related note, it is REALLY strange to see new 360 achievements popping up next to the ones I earned back in 2007.

CE DX+ is also great, but it feels more like some cracked-out speedrunning game than Pac-Man, and I can barely follow what's happening on the screen after a few minutes into a run. Though I will concede the music is better in DX than in original CE, and there's simply more of it to choose from. Pac Steps is just a wonderful drum and bass song to munch ghosts to, and I wish I could import it into original CE.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:24 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Agree. Original CE is much closer to the Pac-flavour.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

on the other hand you had me at 'cracked-out speedrunning'
Old 02-14-2017, 10:28 AM
Space Prez

I agree, I liked CE better and I wish it was still available.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Like.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Original CE is backwards-compatible on Xbone. You can also get it on Steam as part of Pac-Man Museum, but it's a minimal-effort compilation sold for $20 that doesn't even offer resolution options, so you'll likely be playing it in a window (you might be able to work around this by hooking your PC to a 720p HDTV as its primary display, since that's CE's native resolution). Maybe wait for it to go on sale.
Old 02-14-2017, 02:39 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

also the ms. pac-man dlc is silly when you can buy the game separately for less money right there

if they put 'namco classic collection vol. 2 pac-man arrangement' on there as DLC, though, well, hoo boy
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Spear of Justice

Speaking of Pac-Man Arrangement, I've been playing a bit of that via Pac-Man Collection on GBA and it's swell. Sure, you have to deal with scrolling on the tiny screen, but Arrangement's excellent sprites really pop on a backlit GBA SP. Highly recommended for some on-the-go Pac-Man.

I've also ordered the Player's Choice version of Pac-Man World 2 on GameCube that includes Pac-Man Vs., which I've always wanted to try out. Might as well put all this old-ass hardware to use and finally live the mid-2000s dream of connectivity, right?
Old 03-13-2017, 09:55 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

still can't believe we didn't get a pac man vs for wiiu
Old 03-13-2017, 10:00 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Pac-Man Vs. is secretly the greatest party game ever made, and that it never saw a re-release on the Wii U will forever be Nintendo's biggest blunder.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Spear of Justice

Unhappy

I mean we DID get Mario Chase as part of Nintendo Land, but everyone I've spoken to who's played proper Pac-Man Vs. says it's just not the same.

It also involves buying Nintendo Land for real money (unless it was your Wii U pack-in) and frankly that's just a bridge too far

edit: Also it'd be nice if Pac-Man World 2 turned out to be fun. It's been about a decade since I played it last but I remember deriving SOME amount of enjoyment from it, so here's hoping a non-Mario 3D mascot platformer from 2002 still holds up!

edit 2: hmm, this hideous prerendered intro cinematic almost certainly bodes well

Last edited by Mr. Sensible; 03-13-2017 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:33 PM

I somehow loved everything about that.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:40 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Speaking of Pac-Man Arrangement, I've been playing a bit of that via Pac-Man Collection on GBA and it's swell. Sure, you have to deal with scrolling on the tiny screen, but Arrangement's excellent sprites really pop on a backlit GBA SP. Highly recommended for some on-the-go Pac-Man.
Shame that port (and Pac-Mania) are missing parts of their music tracks, though. Still, Pac-Man Arrangement 1996 is pretty sweet . Wish they had included that on the Pac-Man Museum compilation instead of the crappy 2005 one for PSP.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Spear of Justice

Default apparently I'm still grappling with an acute case of Pac-Man Fever

The original 1980 arcade Pac-Man has been ported to damn near every console at some point, right? Even just a couple years after the official release, people were scrambling to get bootleg versions running on home computers. It's gotten me thinking: what's the most arcade-accurate official version of Pac-Man ever published for a consumer game console?

For reference, here's a screenshot of the original:

I used to think Namco Museum on PS1 was the definitive version, but it actually seems to be a weird squished-down port. Just look at the ghosts or the font used for text, and it's pretty obvious a significant portion of the graphics have been redrawn:

(also that fake marquee art is just butt-ugly)
Old 03-14-2017, 02:57 PM
Are You Sure About That?

I mean, the graphics are so simple it's entirely possible they were generated on the fly instead of being stored sprites.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:17 PM
Come, noble knights!

I'd assume the reason why the PS1 port looks squished is because like many arcade games, Pac-Man was designed to be viewed via a portrait view monitor setup so the game has more vertical display space.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:15 AM
Spear of Justice

It seems safe to assume the best Pac-Man port is probably the most recent, which would be 2016's ARCADE GAME SERIES: Pac-Man. If anyone's played it, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I booted up Namco Museum for PS2 last night and is it a blurry mess upscaled on an HDTV. Seems like the only ways I'd be able to play a sharper version of Pac-Man Arrangement '96 on my flat-panel television are by either A) hooking up the "Namco Classic Collection Vol. 2" original arcade board to a SuperGun or B) using MAME.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I'd assume the reason why the PS1 port looks squished is because like many arcade games, Pac-Man was designed to be viewed via a portrait view monitor setup so the game has more vertical display space.
Worth noting that PS1 Namco Museum version does support TATE mode. I believe it presents the correct aspect ratio but it has been many, many moons since I've tried it.

That PS4 one is fine but barebones (I would have like to turn the background off). It goes on sale for dirt cheap periodically.

Last edited by Excitemike; 03-15-2017 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Worth noting that PS1 Namco Museum version does support TATE mode. I believe it presents the correct aspect ratio but it has been many, many moons since I've tried it.
Ah, you're right:

(skip to 1:16 for hot monitor-rotating action)

It's kinda difficult to tell from the video, but it seems like Ms. Pac-Man reverts to the original graphics in Arcade/TATE mode. Also I just learned "TATE" (tah-tay) is Japanese for "vertical," so that's neat!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:17 AM
Spear of Justice

Played Pac-Man World 2 for about an hour last night; it's a bland and uninspired platformer with all the collectathon excess you'd expect from that era. However, it does at least retain most of the original sound effects from arcade Pac-Man when you're eating dots, fruit and ghosts. You can also unlock the old arcade games by collecting Namco tokens scattered around.

Now I just need to find three other knuckleheads so I can finally play Pac-Man Vs. properly.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 AM

I think I heard the third one was really good?

I hope so, at least, as I've got it around here. I never found out much for myself because my memory card wouldn't work for it, which I later found out was corrupted. Damn you and your faulty 1019s, Nintendo!
Old 03-21-2017, 03:07 AM
Come, noble knights!

Among the many F2P games I've been playing recently, one of 'em is the Android version of Pac-Man. The classic game is here in all its beepy-boopy glory, but the big draw is the unlockable themed mazes.

Ads (which you can pay real money to banish to Hell) and the ever lingering temptation to spend real money to buy coins to speed up the stage unlocking process aside, it's pretty much exactly what I've wanted from Pac-Man for a while: More mazes.

No ghost conga lines, no keys, no card matching, no isometric jumping. Here's classic Pac-Man gameplay set in new mazes.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM

I remember liking Pac-Man World 2 okay, but then again I think it came out sometime in February and Super Mario Sunshine wasn't until August. I was really hurting for some 3D platforming at that time.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:16 PM
Spear of Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad64 View Post
I remember liking Pac-Man World 2 okay, but then again I think it came out sometime in February and Super Mario Sunshine wasn't until August. I was really hurting for some 3D platforming at that time.
Yeah, I mean...it's fine, but PMW2 doesn't do anything to differentiate itself from the dozens of other mascot platformers that were already available. I could certainly see it filling the void before Sunshine was finally released.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 PM
Come, noble knights!

Between the PSone, PS2, Nintendo 64, and Dreamcast I rented and played demos of lots of mascot platformers, so yeah, I wasn't particularly impressed either. Pac-Man World 2's just kinda there. Not horrible, but also not particularly great.

Tags
blinky inky pinky , namco bandai , pac-man