The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Alright, I've added the temporary "Demo Tab - Hotness Column" sheet, all the way at the end with data from the PS2 sheet. I had to tweak the formula just a little bit to not break on space since we have peeps with spaces in their handles. As long as everyone uses commas (or ; or . or ? or !) to separate we'll be apples.

I also deviated from the current color scheme by going with rainbow in increments of three to demonstrate the possibilities.

So go check 'er out! Add more peeps to the bandwagon and see what happens. Try sorting by hotness. Add a new title or three. Let me know how it goes.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Random guy

Also: Can we set the Vertical alignment of cells to 'Top'? I think it would be a big help for lines where the comments go for quite a while. I'm fine with long comments, but scrolling to see the name of the game that go with it is a bit annoying.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
ARGH, why are we mixing carriage returns and comas when delimiting names in the likes column!?

Any way to enforce transformation to one method via a macro in google sheets?
Yes, human turks. :P

Where do you see it? I'd like to know in case it's breaking my Hotness formula.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbywatson View Post
Also: Can we set the Vertical alignment of cells to 'Top'? I think it would be a big help for lines where the comments go for quite a while. I'm fine with long comments, but scrolling to see the name of the game that go with it is a bit annoying.
Yes. In the icon function bar, it's the sixth from the right. Looks like an arrow pointing down at a horizontal bar. I just applied it to the "Demo Tab - Hotness Column" in case you'd like to see what it's like.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:06 PM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Deleting the names for a MOST OF is a bad idea, because then how does it count to 15 for an ALL OF. Also, depending on participation 10/15 might be too low of a standard.

I guess people could add names to a MOST OF, but some people might forget whether or not they were part of the original MOST OF group.
The names aren't being (or aren't supposed to be) deleted - they're moved to a note you can see by hovering over the cell. So you can still check if you're already in there, and you can add to the list within the note. Part of the idea is to stop rows from getting really tall just from all the names being displayed.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:08 PM
Red Mage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Yes, human turks. :P

Where do you see it? I'd like to know in case it's breaking my Hotness formula.
I fixed the ones I saw, may be more since I only noticed when I was adding my name.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:23 PM

Something else to consider: shall we freeze the first column so we always see the game name? I suspect horizontal scrolling will be inevitable.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I fixed the ones I saw, may be more since I only noticed when I was adding my name.
No worries, I checked things out in the sandbox. As long as we still have a delimiter the newlines won't break the hotness.

Still, puzzling how they got there in the first place. I had to Ctrl-Enter to get one in.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 PM
Hot sports journalist

The Hotness column is a decent idea, but from looking at the demo page, I feel like color coding every game just makes things visually noisy. We've already got a lot of lesser known games on this list because one or two people want to evangelize them, so keeping most of the rows white will help the ones that have critical mass really stand out.

That said, the Hotness Index could be useful for a separate tab where we sort the games by popularity, as an informal way of generating TT's Top Games list. That list could also benefit from a "System" column.

Also, I'm really not sure we should divide PC games by "Steam" and "Not Steam" categories. They all run on the same computer, and games often appear/disappear from the service. I doubt that anyone really wants to take on the job of moving games as they get added to Steam.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
The Hotness column is a decent idea, but from looking at the demo page, I feel like color coding every game just makes things visually noisy. We've already got a lot of lesser known games on this list because one or two people want to evangelize them, so keeping most of the rows white will help the ones that have critical mass really stand out.
You make a good point, and fortunately the color-coding levels are easily tuned. I set the colors back to the current set up (10+ = green, 15+ = yellow) in the sandbox.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Also, I'm really not sure we should divide PC games by "Steam" and "Not Steam" categories. They all run on the same computer, and games often appear/disappear from the service. I doubt that anyone really wants to take on the job of moving games as they get added to Steam.
Yeah, I don't like dividing them either. Here's another reason: when a new game is added by someone, what are the chances they'll want to check if a game is even currently on Stream before adding it to non-Steam?

The "Other Notes" column seems like a better place to put "Available on Steam".
Old 01-27-2014, 03:00 PM
Red Mage

Other notes is already clogged with remakes, reboots and alternate systems a game is available on. Perhaps just a dedicated 'Other Versions' column?

What about big multi-platform stuff? Where does Saint's Row IV go on this list? Is it easier to make these their own sheet?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:09 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosboot View Post
Yeah, I don't like dividing them either. Here's another reason: when a new game is added by someone, what are the chances they'll want to check if a game is even currently on Stream before adding it to non-Steam?

The "Other Notes" column seems like a better place to put "Available on Steam".
To be fair, I checked if Aces Wild had been released on Steam when thinking about putting it on the list.

Then I got too busy playing Aces Wild to put it on the list.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite View Post
To be fair, I checked if Aces Wild had been released on Steam when thinking about putting it on the list.

Then I got too busy playing Aces Wild to put it on the list.
Sounds like you're doing it right!
Old 01-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Other notes is already clogged with remakes, reboots and alternate systems a game is available on. Perhaps just a dedicated 'Other Versions' column?

What about big multi-platform stuff? Where does Saint's Row IV go on this list? Is it easier to make these their own sheet?
It probably really is, yeah. Or, really, merge PS3 and 360 together, make a note that Demon's Souls is PS3 exclusive, and take it for granted that anything on that list is also on steam.

Also, I can't help but wonder if 15 seconds is maybe too low a bar for "ALL THE TYRANTS." I mean heck, FF10 is halfway to that point.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM

I added the Smash Bros. games but don't feel like writing about them. I'll let someone else do that.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM
hi there

I top-aligned all the pages. Feel free to change it back if you think bottom-align is better.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
The only other option I can come up with at the moment is to have an entry for each relevant tab, with all but one saying "see tab X", and that sounds like work.

At the moment I can get behind a combined PS360 tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturtledoesbite
I top-aligned all the pages. Feel free to change it back if you think bottom-align is better.
Good work, sir! I think it looks dandy.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:41 PM
Red Mage

PCS36ii?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:55 PM
hi there

Quote:
PCS36ii?
I think the least-unwieldy portmanteau is PSWii60.

But the Wii isn't in that category anyway.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Red Mage

You're missing the PC, there.

PS36C?
Old 01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

just call the tab Multi - talks in the multi thread should say which version to get is best
Old 01-27-2014, 03:59 PM
is Earnest

This spreadsheet desperately wants to be a database.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:24 PM
The 6 Million Gil Catboi

Apparently, Googleshng and I have very similar tastes, it seems, from how often his name is already in the "seconded" box by the time I go to add mine to it.

I like this thing. This spreadsheet is good.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Yes, let's feast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Also, I can't help but wonder if 15 seconds is maybe too low a bar for "ALL THE TYRANTS." I mean heck, FF10 is halfway to that point.
Needs a "CONTROVERSIAL" designation, then.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:18 PM

This is a great idea, looking forward to all the different games everyone will be adding to the list.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:25 PM
goodbye

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick View Post
This spreadsheet desperately wants to be a database.
I don't know if somewhere down the line this would be considered. But I know members of /v/ keep an archive of recommended games on a Wikia.

I like the design of the document we have thus far though. It's super easy/efficient to just add new content and comment on something pre-existing.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:46 PM
do-do-doo do-doo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
Not seeing a problem there. I do find it troubling that Super Metroid hasn't reached "ALL THE TYRANTS" status yet.

BTW, Donkey Kong '94 already has enough names for "ALL THE TYRANTS," but I didn't want to try and figure out how to change it right now.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:49 PM
hi there

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakman View Post
BTW, Donkey Kong '94 already has enough names for "ALL THE TYRANTS," but I didn't want to try and figure out how to change it right now.
Done.
Old 01-27-2014, 10:35 PM
This Guy

I went around seconding some stuff. Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to adding some games.

Tags
good games , i made a spreadsheet , recommendations