The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-29-2013, 10:53 PM
Orb Friend

I tried to get into them, being surrounded by folks who were fans, but outside of a few little funny moments here and there I just...couldn't. Too constantly screechy and loud and immature for my tastes.

Still a bit curious to see how things go with this split, as JonTron is my friends' favorite by a mile.
Old 06-29-2013, 11:01 PM
That crazy bird guy

Followed both JonTron and Egoraptor before Game Grumps started, so naturally, I became a day 1 subscriber or so. Enjoyed the show greatly, and I'm actually really sad because Jon had to leave.

Danny seems like an okay guy, I do like his commentary trying to be informative. However, for me Game Grumps was all about the chemistry between Jon and Arin. It feels like Danny tries to copy that too much instead of going for his own thing. Hopefully, he will get into it soon enough, but if not, well, guess I could re watch the old episodes...

I tried watching two different episodes of Steam Train, but it was unbearable. I couldn't get through a single episode. Good idea, but I agree with Brickroad, they are trying too hard to copy Jon and Arin. Only much more annoying.

Seems like that rumor about Jon moving to New York is true. On twitter, he just posted something that looks like a view from an apartment.
Sad, but at least a real reason, even if it was sudden.

Last edited by Dadaph; 06-29-2013 at 11:08 PM. Reason: JonTron in NY?
Old 06-30-2013, 01:50 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I don't know why, but the name "Arin" alone is annoying to me.
Old 06-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Peeper

I've never seen Game Grumps, but I watched a few JonTron vidoes and he kinda annoyed the hell out of me. It seemed like every few minutes he'd break into this half assed Christopher Walken impression.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:51 PM
certified comics master

Jon is a good improvisor and he had good chemistry working with Arin on GameGrumps. Coming up with jokes and quips and entertaining things to say like that is really difficult! Although I recognize that the humor isn't to everyone's tastes, and there's definitely been a lot of videos that are just a slog.

But I would get frustrated when Jon had an opinion on something and completely failed to stand up to Arin and articulate his argument, especially if I agreed with Jon. It made me happy when Jon was able to turn the tables on Arin for once when Arin described his "depression" following his experimental "vegetarian" diet. Teehee.

I feel his inability or his resistance to articulating a well-thought out argument is reflected in Jon's videos. It'd be nice if, for example, he actually spent more time on explaining why games like Star Fox Adventures or Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts were disappointing rather than just screaming about them. I suppose the counterargument would be that it's not a review show, but still. A little more criticism to complement the shenanigans would be nice, in my opinion.

That said, I don't wanna be too hard on the guys. I don't think I'd consider myself a fan, but I have fun watching their stuff on occasion, and I appreciate it. I haven't watched any of the new stuff with this Danny guy yet.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:27 PM
More than two problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew View Post

I think someone needs to just make video edits of the funny parts rather than the full plays.
Whacka's got you covered, whacka-hoo!
Old 07-01-2013, 03:41 PM
I. Love. It.

I still dunno what to expect from the new Grump going forward, but I am rather enjoying the Punch-Out series.

Nnnnnot too crazy about the re-dubbed opening theme in the latest Punch-Out video though, I think that needs another take.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:22 PM
whatever it takes

While I'm sad to lose the undeniable chemistry that Jon had with Arin, I'm exceedingly pleased to learn that his replacement is a hot-ass dork. <3
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

So I watched all the Mario 2 and Punch-Out!! videos they've released so far, and I have to say, I think I enjoy Danny more than Jon. Maybe it's just because these are two games he loves, but the conversation has managed to be entertaining while actually remaining related to the game. If they can keep this up, I might start watching regularly again.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:37 AM
McBear

If you guys are fans of the social dynamic of two guys playing video games, you might give Miles923's other channel, YoVideogames, a shot. They have a series called Retro Coach, where one dude hasn't played a particular game, and the other has. Hilarity ensues.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:42 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Okay, Danny killed it in today's SMB2 video. There's like two minutes of hysterical laughter that is totally genuine.

I think Game Grumps is gonna be fine, guys!
Old 07-02-2013, 07:54 PM
I say thee neigh

I can't tell if I like Danny a lot or if I'm just enjoying him extra because of how much I hate Jontron
Old 07-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Rawrther.

I don't care for Steam Train. Danny is okay. I think Game Grumps is going to be fine, but I'll miss seeing Jon and Arin together, I really enjoyed their vibe.

I guess I'm in the minority who don't care if they actually talk about the games they're playing; I just like the chemistry they have.

Anyway I really like JonTron and I'm glad he's going to focus more on that. Put me in the camp though of not quite understanding why they had to quit their main stuff when the GG vids are just 10min each and they probably do several-hour recording sessions at a time. They don't even have that much postwork (it seems, at least)
Old 07-02-2013, 09:41 PM
Here Comes the Sun

I liked their video where Grant Kirkhope guest starred. I was looking forward to it from the outset just because of how much of his music I heard as a 64 owner. But when he started backseat driving everything they did and tearing into Jon every couple minutes, it became amazing.

Other than that, they haven't held my interest very much. But maybe I'll see what this new guy's like.
Old 07-03-2013, 03:11 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Okay, Danny killed it in today's SMB2 video. There's like two minutes of hysterical laughter that is totally genuine.

I think Game Grumps is gonna be fine, guys!
For real, this SMB2 series is actually giving me a lot more appreciation for the game. I always liked it but never as much as 1 or 3, and this Game Grumps run is showing me that it's pretty much just as good, albeit different.
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 PM
certified comics master

I watched the Super Mario Bros. 2 and Punch-Out!! videos last night when I was working on stuff. I was pleased! Indeed, Game Grumps is going to be just fine.

I watched the Aladdin (Genesis) videos featuring Jon, too, and those two certainly had some harsh/dumb opinions about things. It also featured a great example of Jon saying something ("Symphony of the Night is perfect!") and being completely and utterly unable or unwilling to defend his opinion against Arin's (he thinks SotN is boring). I don't even have any feelings towards SotN either way, so I don't care who likes it and who doesn't. But it's frustrating to hear Jon constantly take back his words whenever he's met with disagreement with Arin.

It's OK to stand up for what you believe in, Jon! ...As long as you can think of something to defend yourself with, that is.
...No? Oh, alright...

Ah well. That said, of the three series of videos I watched last night, the one that made me chuckle the most was the Aladdin one. So I dunno! I can clearly see why people don't like Jon, but I think he can be pretty funny. But I guess that doesn't really matter anymore in terms of GameGrumps videos... but that's okay, because Dan is funny too!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:47 PM
Goodbye!

I like Game Grumps okay. I like a lot of game related media that I probably shouldn't, honestly. I like that Arin knows a thing or two about games and occasionally shows it, and I like that Jon has a funny voice.

Seriously, his voice is very funny.

That is my opinion on Game Grumps.

Maybe some other time I'll tell you my opinion on Two Best Friends.
Old 07-04-2013, 04:21 PM

The way I see it, Jon is willing to immediately speak from his gut how he feels about a game that randomly crops into the conversation. But once he says he really likes it, he isn't sure if overstated it when giving his snap opinion.

The only thing about talking about random shit during these videos is that when those other subjects start wearing out they really ought to go back to talking about game design or something. But I remember hearing once that Jon and Arin didn't like talking about that stuff too frequently, which was a shame to learn.
Old 07-13-2013, 02:51 PM
concern troll

Jesus christ watching these two play the first Zelda is painful. Danny says he played it as a kid but I don't know if I believe him because he's acting like it's practically blind, which would be interesting, except Arin keeps giving him terrible advice.

They've somehow managed to beat three levels, despite:
  • Finding the White Sword too earlier, so they couldn't pick it up, and ignoring it since
  • Arin talking Danny out of buyng a magic shield because he said it was a regular shield you get as a replacement when you lose it ... somehow?
  • Arin telling Danny you can't kill Darknuts with bombs, which is extra frustrating because Dan was making a smart guess about how to deal with them.
  • Arin saying Likelikes can eat your boomerang

It's actually really interesting to see an almost blind run of the game, but Arin is so wrong sometimes that it makes me want to scream.

I know I'm being one of "those kind of nerds" about this, sorry.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:19 PM
That Pokemon Guy

Did they go in the bow room again?
Old 07-13-2013, 09:27 PM
Rawrther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
Jesus christ watching these two play the first Zelda is painful. Danny says he played it as a kid but I don't know if I believe him because he's acting like it's practically blind, which would be interesting, except Arin keeps giving him terrible advice.

They've somehow managed to beat three levels, despite:
  • Finding the White Sword too earlier, so they couldn't pick it up, and ignoring it since
  • Arin talking Danny out of buyng a magic shield because he said it was a regular shield you get as a replacement when you lose it ... somehow?
  • Arin telling Danny you can't kill Darknuts with bombs, which is extra frustrating because Dan was making a smart guess about how to deal with them.
  • Arin saying Likelikes can eat your boomerang

It's actually really interesting to see an almost blind run of the game, but Arin is so wrong sometimes that it makes me want to scream.

I know I'm being one of "those kind of nerds" about this, sorry.
I'd buy that he's played it and other Zeldas as a child. It sounds like they're just remembering stuff wrong or getting games confused; I know that Awakening had shields for sell, for some reason. And are there monsters that eat the boomerang? I think there are some that eat your shield.

I'd probably give people horrible half-assed half-remembered advice.

Anyway I'm really liking New Game Grumps! Dan is really funny; Steam Train is even getting pretty good. Loving their Space Quest run.
Old 07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

I'm enjoying it in spite of that stuff, but I will say this: it absolutely destroys Arin's arguments about this being the superior Zelda experience. If he ever gets around to finishing that Zelda sequelitis video, it's going to be hard to take it seriously.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:11 PM
More than two problems

I hate to say it but Danny is really good. He brings more focused commentary to the table than Jon ever did, but he knows how to make it funny and his jokes have more punch as a result. The Mega Man 2 series is easily up there with the best of Jon.

I still miss Jon, because he's practically a cartoon character. He has an unpredictable, scatterbrained energy that lets him bounce from one idea to the next at full-tilt speed. Danny's brand of comedy is more... well, normal. It's like he's serving you a pie that's guaranteed to crack you up. With Jon, it was more like that pie just exploded in his hands every day without fail. You weren't sure why it happened, but it was funny.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
I'm enjoying it in spite of that stuff, but I will say this: it absolutely destroys Arin's arguments about this being the superior Zelda experience. If he ever gets around to finishing that Zelda sequelitis video, it's going to be hard to take it seriously.
I thought his Zelda Sequelitis (coming fall 2017) was going to be about LttP vs. OoT?

You're right, though. Neither of these guys are very knowledgeable about Zelda. Which is fine for a goofy LP show, but kind of irresponsible in Arin's case considering the voice of authority he wants his Sequelitis videos to have.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:18 PM
concern troll

I don't know that much about Jon's comedy background, but I'm not surprised to hear Danny say he has extensive improve training. He definitely seems more polished than Jon did.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 PM
Definitely not a werewolf

Quote:
I thought his Zelda Sequelitis (coming fall 2017) was going to be about LttP vs. OoT?

You're right, though. Neither of these guys are very knowledgeable about Zelda. Which is fine for a goofy LP show, but kind of irresponsible in Arin's case considering the voice of authority he wants his Sequelitis videos to have.
This was something that was funny about the CV1 playthrough; Arin demonstrated over and over again that he doesn't actually know Castlevania as well as the Sequelitis video let on.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 PM

What weirds me out about his Castlevania opinions is that the things he likes most about the game are the things that piss him off the most. He even points that out in the Sequelitis video, by saying that the enemy placement and jumping mechanics would "put you in a shitty mood".

Like, how can a game thats puts you in a shitty mood be good? It is in Arin world!
Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 PM
Serial Thread Killer

Quote:
What weirds me out about his Castlevania opinions is that the things he likes most about the game are the things that piss him off the most. He even points that out in the Sequelitis video, by saying that the enemy placement and jumping mechanics would "put you in a shitty mood"
I feel the same way about most games. But I'd never say it was putting me in a 'shitty mood.' Rather it's more like the difficulty gets you all worked up in a fervor. And that fervor is all part of the fun. When I get killed in a clever way due to enemy placement or my own bungling it sends me into a giggle fit and a wave of "HOW THE HELL" hits you after a while when you get stuck on a nasty bit. But I'm the sort of player who's solution to those sorts of problems is to throw enough bodies at it till it sorts itself out.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Rawrther.

I just hope it's not the end forever of Arin+Jon videos. Danny is funnier but I will miss watching the chemistry those two shared. Danny and Arin and even Ross seem to have plenty of chemistry at least, though.

also did anyone watch that video promoting the Pacific Rim tie-in Jon and Arin were in? did anyone else think it was awkward as hell for Arin to say "our pacific rim video" when we haven't seen Arin and Jon together since like a dozen videos after his departure?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isrieri View Post
I feel the same way about most games. But I'd never say it was putting me in a 'shitty mood.' Rather it's more like the difficulty gets you all worked up in a fervor. And that fervor is all part of the fun. When I get killed in a clever way due to enemy placement or my own bungling it sends me into a giggle fit and a wave of "HOW THE HELL" hits you after a while when you get stuck on a nasty bit. But I'm the sort of player who's solution to those sorts of problems is to throw enough bodies at it till it sorts itself out.
Arin's argument was that this type of difficulty was acceptable as a way to make a game longer, as though stretching out a game's length were some sort of virtue. (Later in the video he implies that the modern Castlevania practice of using RPG elements to stretch the games out was senseless padding.)

I think his argument is faulty because it suggests that dying on a boss fifty times and succeeding on the fifty-first is more fun than succeeding on the first and then deciding whether or not the game was fun enough to replay it fifty times.

However, I do respect how well he is able to articulate his arguments. That's a rare thing.

Tags
d club , danny sexbang , grapes , hey i'm dan i'm also dan , jafari park , off topic eceleb drama , racism , shame grumps