The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-17-2017, 10:25 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Sure, but in the elitist patrician racism way, not in the America should go back to being white way.
Uh.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Sure, but in the elitist patrician racism way, not in the America should go back to being white way.
When civic pride makes your brain not work.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:44 PM
Love and Peace

Have you guys ever seen a little kid try to argue their way out of trouble, only to dig themselves deeper and deeper because they don't have the sense to keep their mouths shut?

I just don't know why, but I got reminded of that all of a sudden for some reason.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:48 PM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
FUCKIN INCREDIBLE.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:05 PM
concern troll

I refuse to actually watch Jontron talk but this is a pretty good summary of what happened:

Old 03-19-2017, 06:10 PM
there he goes again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
On a recent episode Danny said that he'll watch old episodes and be surprised and embarrassed by what he said, but he also made the good point that they do a show where they have to talk and entertain constantly. I'm sympathetic to that pressure and how it can be difficult to self-moderate when you're in a creative flow.

That said, they definitely are Clueless White Guys who certainly aren't woke. I think, generally, they're nice dudes mostly who don't go out of their way to cause harm. I hope that someday they'll be more conscientious, but they haven't crossed any specific lines with me.
I like to think this of Arin as well. A genuinely nice person who doesn't want to hurt people. He has repeatedly apologized in the comments of his videos and seems genuinely remorseful when jokes he's made hurt and offend people. Along with Slowbeef's article I think another part of the problem is that he has terrible people in his ear. From Ross, to Markiplier, and to Reddit, which complicates the whole "clueless white guys" thing where he's not really taught or shown what hurts people. Same kinda goes for Danny, but it's complicated by the fact that I don't think he really realizes how privileged he's been in life, even compared to Arin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
It kind of makes me think less about Barry and Arin that they aired that episode at all. Part of me wonders if they did it because they wanted to unload Jon, but it's still a questionable decision.
It's no real excuse, but Arin has said that he used to be "less confrontational." He probably both had no idea how to tell Jon "hey that wasn't fucking cool" and would've been too chickenshit to do it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAT View Post
slowbeef.txt
From all accounts I've heard, slowbeef is legit one of the nicest guys out there? He probably was physically incapable of not apologizing and explaining himself.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:41 PM
Half-Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
I like to think this of Arin as well. A genuinely nice person who doesn't want to hurt people. He has repeatedly apologized in the comments of his videos and seems genuinely remorseful when jokes he's made hurt and offend people. Along with Slowbeef's article I think another part of the problem is that he has terrible people in his ear. From Ross, to Markiplier, and to Reddit, which complicates the whole "clueless white guys" thing where he's not really taught or shown what hurts people. Same kinda goes for Danny, but it's complicated by the fact that I don't think he really realizes how privileged he's been in life, even compared to Arin.
Ok, I gotta ask because I just recently started watching Markiplier videos but what make him a terrible person?
Old 03-20-2017, 04:09 PM
there he goes again

Calling him "terrible" might be a little bit harsh (but I am a fan of hyperbole, so whatevs), but the most recent thing is that he and Ross and his wife Holly were all pewdiepie defenders.

He made a seven minute video and a text essay about respect but never once actually denounces the antisemitism, which means he either a) thinks the jokes were okay or b) is too much of a coward to actually call people out when they hurt people. Either way, it shows no actual god damn respect for people at all.

And Ross and Holly apparently think that what pewdiepie did was okay because he's "nice."

So fuck all of them tbh
Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 PM
concern troll

I already thought ross was a sociopath so this doesn't change my opinion of not watching anything involving him again.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:59 AM
there he goes again

And no I take it back I actually do stand by calling markiplier terrible. He doesn't have to comment on every issue out there, but. Where was he talking about "respect" with Anita when she was getting death threats? With Zoe when she was being doxxed? That pewdiepie is the thing that finally made him find a hill to die on and talk about "respect" is very telling. That he chose to do it over someone being antisemitic and making impoverished people dance for his amusement is even more telling. I would posit that he only did it because if pewdiepie could be called out and have his livelihood threatened, than mark could have the same happen to him as well. But that's just me i dunno it's not like their content is that much different from each other
Old 03-21-2017, 02:49 PM
Love and Peace

Markiplier's schtick is "Pewdiepie but for kids whose parents monitor Youtube" and to my (limited) experience I've never seen or heard of him making hateful jokes, so I'm pretty sure his motivation is entirely cowardice. Which neatly envelops his defense of Pewdiepie and his refusal to defend anyone who might actually be harmed by roving internet lynch mobs.

Tags
d club , danny sexbang , grapes , hey i'm dan i'm also dan , jafari park , off topic eceleb drama , racism , shame grumps