The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #421  
Old 03-14-2017, 09:26 PM
Dart Zaidyer's Avatar
Dart Zaidyer Dart Zaidyer is offline
More than two problems
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Free Country USA
Posts: 3,039
Default

I'm not surprised JonTron is an idiot, but up to now he's always been able to leverage that for comedy. It takes a special kind of stupid to get sucked into the attitudes of scumbags and start doubling down.
Doesn't he live in New York? Isn't that like an inoculation against this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote
  #422  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
Doesn't he live in New York? Isn't that like an inoculation against this sort of thing?
Not to pop your coastal utopia bubble, but New Yorkers are some of the most virulently racist people America has.
Reply With Quote
  #423  
Old 03-15-2017, 08:55 AM
Dracula's Avatar
Dracula Dracula is offline
Satanic Mechanic
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: If you go in the direction of the arrow.
Posts: 1,127
Default

I get the sense that it's pretty easy to find and confine oneself to a bubble even in a place like NYC.
Reply With Quote
  #424  
Old 03-15-2017, 09:22 AM
muteKi's Avatar
muteKi muteKi is offline
アヘ顔と加瀬さん
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 5,902
Default

Segregation is the subtext of "little [x]" neighborhoods
Reply With Quote
  #425  
Old 03-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Bleck's Avatar
Bleck Bleck is offline
Highway To HFIL
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
New Yorkers are some of the most virulently racist people America has.
As, from my point of view, the centerpiece of American culture, this is not exactly a surprise
Reply With Quote
  #426  
Old 03-15-2017, 11:22 AM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
hold back the night
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,521
Default

Aw, come on with the "shame grumps" tag. That's retroactive guilt by association! Grumps dumped JonTron long before he started to get crazy.
Reply With Quote
  #427  
Old 03-15-2017, 11:49 AM
JBear's Avatar
JBear JBear is offline
Bertolli?!?...
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada
Posts: 7,721
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Aw, come on with the "shame grumps" tag.
Yeah, I mean, "blame grumps" is sitting right there!

(I have never watched a game grump and have no horse in this race.)
Reply With Quote
  #428  
Old 03-15-2017, 11:59 AM
fanboymaster's Avatar
fanboymaster fanboymaster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,628
Default

Jontron shows a predilection for thinking it's really funny to say the n word in like the third episode they ever recorded of game grumps. This isn't something that came out of nowhere it's something that escalated from an obvious, but easy for white people to ignore (yes that's a mea culpa here), place.
Reply With Quote
  #429  
Old 03-15-2017, 12:08 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
hold back the night
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,521
Default

Oh. Yeah, that's no good.
Reply With Quote
  #430  
Old 03-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Andrew's Avatar
Andrew Andrew is offline
BadAce Normal
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,777
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post



ahahahaha
I hadn't logged into youtube in a long time, so thanks for reminding me to unsubscribe.

.....and done.

It's ultimately not a big dent in the overall subs. It takes more than being a huge douchebag to lose all of your subscribers (see: Spoony, Pewpew). It's lack of content that does (see, again: Spoony).
Reply With Quote
  #431  
Old 03-15-2017, 03:54 PM
Dawnswalker's Avatar
Dawnswalker Dawnswalker is offline
Love and Peace
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becksworth View Post
I figured Jon was an asshat in real life the moment Arin brought up the gingerbread house story on Game Grumps.
Was JonTron luring children into the woods to eat them?
Reply With Quote
  #432  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:32 PM
McClain's Avatar
McClain McClain is online now
concern troll
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta-ish
Posts: 25,880
Default

you know, I heard the Jon N-bombing clip before but I just now listened to the rest of it and realized that it's also in the context of him being a total fucking sociopath!

Not gonna link it, but basically he's talking about how he think's it's super funny to threaten to break something a person really cares about, and then relates how one time Arin made a ginerbread house with suzy that was actually really meaningful to him, and Jon kept telling Arin he was going to destroy it, and that segued into the "punch a hole in that N-" rant that barry had to bleep like 5 goddamn times.

It kind of makes me think less about Barry and Arin that they aired that episode at all. Part of me wonders if they did it because they wanted to unload Jon, but it's still a questionable decision.
Reply With Quote
  #433  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:39 PM
ASandoval's Avatar
ASandoval ASandoval is offline
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 4,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
It kind of makes me think less about Barry and Arin that they aired that episode at all. Part of me wonders if they did it because they wanted to unload Jon, but it's still a questionable decision.
Dude, I can think back to several G. Grumps videos where Jon goads Arin into giggling hysterics repeating the N word a bunch of times. It's a big reason I dropped off watching the show, and the charitable part of me wants to believe it's the unspoken reason Jon left and was replaced by Danny since Arin also mellowed out around the same time and there was a recent episode where Danny lamented almost letting one slip ('There goes my career!' he said jokingly, hilariously foreshadowing the events that would befallen his predecessor).
Reply With Quote
  #434  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:44 PM
Dart Zaidyer's Avatar
Dart Zaidyer Dart Zaidyer is offline
More than two problems
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Free Country USA
Posts: 3,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnswalker View Post
Was JonTron luring children into the woods to eat them?
Here's that whole trainwreck. I think Jon is trying to describe a pratfall but something like that requires timing and context. His version is just mean. It's like he doesn't know what humor is made of.
Looking back, that had to be the last straw. Arin's unsubtle "MILLIONS ARE DEAD" trainwreck gag is leaning pretty hard on the wall between improv and reality there.
Reply With Quote
  #435  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:52 PM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
Video World 13 is out!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cambridge, England.
Posts: 13,857
Default

Just clicked that link. Why did anyone continue to watch this show after that?
Reply With Quote
  #436  
Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Dart Zaidyer's Avatar
Dart Zaidyer Dart Zaidyer is offline
More than two problems
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Free Country USA
Posts: 3,039
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Just clicked that link. Why did anyone continue to watch this show after that?
I, for one, skipped that video because it was one in a very long series and it happened during one of the dullest stretches. I'm only just hearing about it now.

Sort of makes me wonder what Arin and Danny thought they were doing with the "Lazy Spinnakers" video, come to think of it...
Reply With Quote
  #437  
Old 03-15-2017, 06:16 PM
McClain's Avatar
McClain McClain is online now
concern troll
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta-ish
Posts: 25,880
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASandoval View Post
Dude, I can think back to several G. Grumps videos where Jon goads Arin into giggling hysterics repeating the N word a bunch of times. It's a big reason I dropped off watching the show, and the charitable part of me wants to believe it's the unspoken reason Jon left and was replaced by Danny since Arin also mellowed out around the same time and there was a recent episode where Danny lamented almost letting one slip ('There goes my career!' he said jokingly, hilariously foreshadowing the events that would befallen his predecessor).
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Just clicked that link. Why did anyone continue to watch this show after that?
I have to be honest, if I had seen that episode before (I didn't watch Sonic 06 at all and really got into the show with Danny) or any of the other N-bomb ones I probably would have dropped it. Shit, even now Danny and Arin get a little too "clueless white guys" for comfort, but at least I get the impression there's no malice behind it. Jon, on the other hand, seems to be a true believer racist.
Reply With Quote
  #438  
Old 03-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Loki's Avatar
Loki Loki is online now
#deadfish2017
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,502
Default

On a recent episode Danny said that he'll watch old episodes and be surprised and embarrassed by what he said, but he also made the good point that they do a show where they have to talk and entertain constantly. I'm sympathetic to that pressure and how it can be difficult to self-moderate when you're in a creative flow.

That said, they definitely are Clueless White Guys who certainly aren't woke. I think, generally, they're nice dudes mostly who don't go out of their way to cause harm. I hope that someday they'll be more conscientious, but they haven't crossed any specific lines with me.

That said, their shtick can run too crass at times and I tend to watch them in small doses.
Reply With Quote
  #439  
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 PM
Dawnswalker's Avatar
Dawnswalker Dawnswalker is offline
Love and Peace
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 5,525
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
Here's that whole trainwreck. I think Jon is trying to describe a pratfall but something like that requires timing and context. His version is just mean. It's like he doesn't know what humor is made of.
Looking back, that had to be the last straw. Arin's unsubtle "MILLIONS ARE DEAD" trainwreck gag is leaning pretty hard on the wall between improv and reality there.
What a charming, high-quality human being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
On a recent episode Danny said that he'll watch old episodes and be surprised and embarrassed by what he said, but he also made the good point that they do a show where they have to talk and entertain constantly. I'm sympathetic to that pressure and how it can be difficult to self-moderate when you're in a creative flow.

That said, they definitely are Clueless White Guys who certainly aren't woke. I think, generally, they're nice dudes mostly who don't go out of their way to cause harm. I hope that someday they'll be more conscientious, but they haven't crossed any specific lines with me.

That said, their shtick can run too crass at times and I tend to watch them in small doses.
A small, but not inconsiderable part of all this depressing shit is the fact that none of these people have any real professional PR, producers, writers, etc. to steer them away from hate speech and back toward Nintendo. And the dog-eat-dog world of Youtube stardom means that a day spent editing or asking for feedback is a day spent getting your lunch ate by the other fifty thousand kids who screech over Minecraft.

Michael "slowbeef" Sawyer wrote an interesting article on that topic.
Reply With Quote
  #440  
Old 03-15-2017, 09:54 PM
KCar's Avatar
KCar KCar is offline
Goodbye!
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Vancougar, BC
Posts: 5,344
Default

Thanks for that article - it makes sense. I think you could venture from here that not only do Youtubers have handlers, they don't have time for reflection. And when you're selling your "personality," such as it is, you're going to get a lot of reinforcement.
Reply With Quote
  #441  
Old 03-16-2017, 07:07 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCar View Post
Thanks for that article - it makes sense. I think you could venture from here that not only do Youtubers have handlers, they don't have time for reflection. And when you're selling your "personality," such as it is, you're going to get a lot of reinforcement.
When I read that Disney gave PDP full editorial control I had to stop and think for a minute. Most of their mid-tier leadership is the first cusp of millennials - say 35 at the oldest. No fucking way do they grasp the appeal of these presenters - I know I don't. I haven't been 13 for a long time. So the narrative that they're hands-off because they don't want to kill the golden goose makes sense, to a point.

I do give our generation props for living long enough to have our first "the kids are watching WHAT" moment.
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 03-16-2017, 08:34 AM
Mr. Sensible's Avatar
Mr. Sensible Mr. Sensible is offline
Spear of Justice
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: VA/TN
Posts: 4,613
Default

Thanks to slowbeef for rounding up a bunch of nebulous ideas I've had in my head about YouTube videos as a business model and then condensing those ideas into an article using thoughtful words and a delightful sense of humor.

I follow only a few folks on YT, but the difference in quality between the channels that upload multiple videos a day versus the channels that only upload a handful of videos every week or two is typically pretty stark.
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 03-16-2017, 09:00 AM
Ample Vigour's Avatar
Ample Vigour Ample Vigour is offline
Is there not one thing
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 19,726
Default

I watch Infinite Elgintensity for my weekly dose of misanthrophy, and he did a Q&A where he talked about how youtube's monetization regime has shifted over time to lock out the hobbyist or part timer who builds up a following in favor of channels able to put out pro-quality content every 12-24 hours. Combine that with slowbeef's insider breakdown and you see why there's an economy made up entirely of either totally professional channels that are run by larger outfits, or one-man shows so slammed for time their OODA loop is shrunk to just A.

The kind of thing that makes perfect sense when you see it all, but someone has to be the one who helps you see it all.
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 PM
Bleck's Avatar
Bleck Bleck is offline
Highway To HFIL
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

But why did they do this.
Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 03-16-2017, 01:40 PM
BEAT's Avatar
BEAT BEAT is online now
IT'S NOT A DREAM
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SKELETON HELL.
Posts: 20,781
Default

OH hey I met slowbeef at Pax.

He asked to cut in line in front of me and Caliscrub. I said sure whatever IDGAF. He said thanks and told us that he normally wouldn't do this but he REALLY HAD to be at this panel or this lady he knew would kill him, which I thought was weird since I had just told him I literally didn't care.

Then When Cali and I were in the panel like 20 minutes later they called him up and I was like "Oh hey I guess we met slowbeef".
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:06 PM
Kishi's Avatar
Kishi Kishi is offline
Little Waves
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25,513
Default

Missed opportunity to yell "Die, JUNKER!" and tear off your skin.
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 03-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Dracula's Avatar
Dracula Dracula is offline
Satanic Mechanic
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: If you go in the direction of the arrow.
Posts: 1,127
Default

BEAT has skin? I've been lied to.
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 03-16-2017, 04:06 PM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
Video World 13 is out!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cambridge, England.
Posts: 13,857
Default

Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 03-17-2017, 08:55 PM
Red Hedgehog's Avatar
Red Hedgehog Red Hedgehog is offline
For blood and gold
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 14,035
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Not to pop your coastal utopia bubble, but New Yorkers are some of the most virulently racist people America has.
Sure, but in the elitist patrician racism way, not in the America should go back to being white way.
Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 03-17-2017, 09:18 PM
Bleck's Avatar
Bleck Bleck is offline
Highway To HFIL
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,131
Default

Those both sound like the same thing to me!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
d club , danny sexbang , grapes , hey i'm dan i'm also dan , jafari park , off topic eceleb drama , racism , shame grumps

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007