The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 08-03-2016, 04:34 PM
Outraged!

Weird, not saying it isn't prevalent, but I can't recall an instance of racist Asian accent.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:45 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
After jumping ship from some other LPers I've been trying real hard to get into the Grumps as my new bag, but man, I've got real mixed feelings. Arin and Dan seem like a pair of pretty legit decent, well-meaning bff dudes who truly love their fans, and even the "wander around fucking up aimlessly and screaming about how bad the game design is because they weren't paying attention to direct instructions they were given or using any of their items correctly" aspect that crops up constantly i can sorta overlook...

...But, man, guys. That's a lot of racist accents and jokes. Like, some of y'all tiptoe around it or excuse it a bit in this thread, but nooo. Nuh-uh. It's very definitely there and pretty blatant. They go to the Racist Asian Accent well a lot. Occasionally other ones, and there's a lot of "I'm Jewish so let's make a lot of uncomfortable Jewish Racism cracks because haha look how terrible and awful they are rib nudge rib nudge so let's keep making them", but jeeeeze the Racist Asian Accent bit is a well they dip into constantly, in nearly everything they do. Blah blah blah Ignorant White Gamer Guy, but it really shouldn't be excused, after all the shit that's been going on the past few years or so, c'mon it's 2016 and they should definitely know better.

I want to like GG, they're very likeable guys, but that angle is really, really hurting it for me.
So, they kinda address this on a recent episode (not sure if this is what sparked this post) and, like, on one hand I kinda get where they are coming from. But on the other hand, holy shit that's like textbook white privileged.

The thing about the Jewish jokes I I don't know that I've ever met a Jew who doesn't make those, and most of what Danny does is just impressions of his dad, which I'm pretty fine with. The Asian pronunciation stuff I understand if it rubs folks the wrong way. I mostly don't like it because I think it's lazy humor, punching down, etc., but I tend to overlook it because it's an improve show and sometimes shit gets phoned in.

I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, just wanted to point out that they actually talked about it openly.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:36 PM
Orb Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
Weird, not saying it isn't prevalent, but I can't recall an instance of racist Asian accent.
I've been watching multiple random series and one-offs they've made from the past 2-3 years and it's come up a lot in nearly everything I've watched, not trying to exaggerate or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
So, they kinda address this on a recent episode (not sure if this is what sparked this post) and, like, on one hand I kinda get where they are coming from. But on the other hand, holy shit that's like textbook white privileged.
Nah, it wasn't sparked by that episode, just my observation of multiple episodes that I've watched here and there over the past couple months. And hoo boy, listening to that one there, yeah that is White Privilege to a T there. "My asian friends say it's okay!" "We all need to lighten up, everybody's too serious!" I mean, honestly now.

Quote:
The Asian pronunciation stuff I understand if it rubs folks the wrong way. I mostly don't like it because I think it's lazy humor, punching down, etc.
Yep, exactly that. It's lazy punching down and that sort of humor ain't funny, that's all there is to it. It's not just "rubbing people the wrong way", it's legit unpleasant and cringe-inducing.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:41 AM
Outraged!

Sounds plenty uncomfortable, yeah. I've either gotten lucky with the ones I've watched or blocked it out.

That said, I'm one of those jerks that thought Colbert's Asian stereotype character was hilarious so I likely just give too much of that stuff a pass without thinking about it.
Old 08-04-2016, 11:43 AM
More than two problems

Ross just goes "fuck the most very basic rules" in the latter half of Pokemon Art Academy and it drives me up the fucking wall, god damn it Ross.
Half the point of art is working with limitations! You could have learned something by painting in the style the lesson wants to teach you. Barry did it.
Also, they completely dropped the ball working on Mega Charizard X. "Mega Charizard X"? Come on, how could that have been anything but Mega Man?!
Old 10-09-2016, 05:32 PM
More than two problems

This Game Grumps Episode proves once again that Arin and Danny are obviously a pair of insulated goofuses who don't seem to grasp the methods and intent by which hurtful words are used in tribal and racial contexts to harm and/or label a hated other, and as a consequence, legitimately fail to understand what the big deal is about repeating them anyway.
Old 10-12-2016, 09:35 AM
Highway To HFIL

Arin and Danny are white people, yes
Old 10-12-2016, 11:30 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Arin and Danny are white people, yes
👌
Old 02-26-2017, 06:47 AM
#deadfish2017

Old 02-26-2017, 12:08 PM
I. Love. It.

That playthrough was hilarious and was not with us nearly long enough.

Also it looks like they finally killed off Steam Train/Grumpcade? I was hardly watching any of those episodes anymore anyway, Ross might be a good animator and he works with scripted stuff, but he just cannot do ad-lib stuff for the life of him.

Of course now with Ross's stuff gone Arin seems to have happily taken up the role of doing inappropriate obnoxious voices (more than before anyway). That voice he gave Grubba in the Thousand Year Door run, ugh....
Old 02-26-2017, 12:17 PM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
Of course now with Ross's stuff gone Arin seems to have happily taken up the role of doing inappropriate obnoxious voices (more than before anyway). That voice he gave Grubba in the Thousand Year Door run, ugh....
I like how Danny keeps trying to skip through Grubba's text so Arin can't read it.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:32 PM
concern troll

Arin has picked up a few obnoxious habits in the past year. Meme Grumps is not that great. That whole "my pussy!" Thing is sometimes enough to get me to turn a video off completely.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:03 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
That whole "my pussy!" Thing is sometimes enough to get me to turn a video off completely.
Oh god, same. Ugh.

I haven't heard it in awhile (though I'm a few days behind the current uploads), I hope this bit is one that gets dropped entirely.
Old 02-26-2017, 06:59 PM
100% All Original

They mentioned in some episode that the loss of the 12 pm pacific slot was because they were busy with something else, so it should come back at some point.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Sega CD version is better

Perhaps Ross's cartoon is in pilot phase now?
Old 02-28-2017, 05:23 PM
Inkster

The I Expect You to Die episodes have been really funny. Most of the VR ones have been pretty great actually.
Old 02-28-2017, 07:01 PM
100% All Original

I'm really looking forward to someone making an animation of Arin Hansen, Inept Spy.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
The I Expect You to Die episodes have been really funny. Most of the VR ones have been pretty great actually.
I almost choked to death laughing when he accidentally set the bomb on fire. That was such a glorious comedy of errors.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:42 PM
Inkster

Quote:
I almost choked to death laughing when he accidentally set the bomb on fire. That was such a glorious comedy of errors.
Me too! The end of the second episode was also gut bustingly funny.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:40 PM
I. Love. It.

Quote:
"Dammit! Someone lit the bomb!"
Old 03-04-2017, 01:15 PM
concern troll

ah balls, they are doing the new Zelda right away. I guess I'll be watching that one in a couple months ...
Old 03-09-2017, 04:09 PM
concern troll

Quote:
ah balls, they are doing the new Zelda right away. I guess I'll be watching that one in a couple months ...
So I'm a few hours into the game now and I kind of want to watch at least the first few videos since I know that the opening parts of the game are pretty contained. Can anyone reassure me that Arin doesn't do that thing where he spoils the shit out of a game in the first few minutes? I'm hoping they are playing this blind since it's brand new.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:14 PM
I. Love. It.

They start entirely blind, I believe. In fact they recorded the first session before the game was technically out.

The first episode is an hour long but he doesn't even leave the Plateau, not even close. Hell I've watched up to Episode 3 and he STILL has one of the shrines to go.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:15 PM
#deadfish2017

They are. Watched the first five or so where they're still on the great plateau. No spoilers in what I saw.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:22 PM
concern troll

Nice. I figured that was the case. I'm curious how much silliness they get into and I probably will stay well ahead of them unless they just go super out of order, and they tend to stick to the plot path on these kinds of games from what I've seen.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Inkster

I've watched all seven. The first five and like a half of six are all Plateau. The rest of six and seven is just dicking around in the area right outside, mostly playing around with the combat options. They appear to be completely blind about the plot from what I've seen.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:33 PM
Family Man

Arin being so out of it during Danny's playthrough of Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door annoys me to no end, mostly because Danny is so enraptured playing it. He's hitting a lot of those counter attacks like a pro! I don't think I ever did one.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:35 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatJF View Post
I've watched all seven. The first five and like a half of six are all Plateau. The rest of six and seven is just dicking around in the area right outside, mostly playing around with the combat options. They appear to be completely blind about the plot from what I've seen.
They actually blitzed through the plateau compared to how long I spent dicking around in it. If they stick to the main path like this they might actually pass me, hahaha.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:12 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I see that Jontron has destroyed himself with his own stupidity.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:22 AM
McBear

Jontron has been on the downward spiral for a long time coming.

Tags
d club , danny sexbang , grapes , hey i'm dan i'm also dan , jafari park , off topic eceleb drama , racism , shame grumps