The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Dart Zaidyer's Avatar
Dart Zaidyer Dart Zaidyer is offline
More than two problems
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Free Country USA
Posts: 3,107
Default Game Grumps

SHUT UP

YOU SHUT UP

I LOVE THESE GUYS

JonTron not so much. Not since the incident.

Welcome to Game Grumps!

Let Arin (who is grump) and Danny (who is not so grump, and is also Dan (Daaaaaaan)) entertain you with new videos every day of the week! Who could forget such classics as Super Mario Sunshine, Wheel of Fortune, and Sonic Boom?

But wait! There's Grumpcade and Steam Train, too! Watch Barry and Ross learn how to draw in Pokemon Art Academy. And don't forget their live stage tours, which are so taxing on Arin and Danny's health that we get solo series such as Just the Arins, with Arin playing Mega Man X, and Let's Have a Chill Space Time, with Danny playing Space Quest III!


NEXT TIME ON GAME GRUMPS:
Share your favorite Game Grumps moments here

Come on, do it

Don't be scared


SHARE THEM

Last edited by Dart Zaidyer; 03-14-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: 2017 edition
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Red Silvers's Avatar
Red Silvers Red Silvers is offline
That Pokemon Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,422
Default



This is a normal part of my MP3 rotation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-29-2013, 03:54 PM
Brickroad's Avatar
Brickroad Brickroad is offline
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 24,608
Default

I watched a few episodes of the Steam Train guys playing Castle Crashers, and mainly came away with it feeling like the guys were trying too hard to be Jon and Arin. I didn't feel so much like they were two dudes sharing a game together, as they were two dudes making an internet show about Castle Crashers.

So I don't know. I'll give it another couple of games to see whether New guy can get his bearings, but if not, I'll probably just unsubscribe.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Aylor's Avatar
Aylor Aylor is offline
RAD RAT
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 751
Default Game Grumps

I honestly thought they were getting stale and unfunny long before this came around so I have even less interest in these new guys now.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 PM
McClain's Avatar
McClain McClain is online now
concern troll
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta-ish
Posts: 26,307
Default

I like some game grumps, but it's kind of hit-or-miss, and I have to be in the mood. Mostly I like it when they playing a game one of them really likes, like the Shatterhand ones.

I find it really odd that they JUST launched a bunch of merch with Jon's face on it. I think there was some deeper weirdness or falling out than they are letting on.

I have Zero interest in steam train right now, but the new guy is OK on game grumps. But again, they are starting with games he really likes, so it's not going to be the norm.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:10 PM
Brickroad's Avatar
Brickroad Brickroad is offline
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I like some game grumps, but it's kind of hit-or-miss, and I have to be in the mood. Mostly I like it when they playing a game one of them really likes, like the Shatterhand ones.
Those were always the best, yeah. Also up there were the genuinely "wtf" games that neither of them seemed to know what to do with, like the violent teddy bear game, or the spice girls one. That made for some great material.

Quote:
I find it really odd that they JUST launched a bunch of merch with Jon's face on it. I think there was some deeper weirdness or falling out than they are letting on.
The timing does seem weird, and the shift in hosts was pretty sudden. If there was any kind of notice or transition period, it must have been pretty abrupt, because I never saw it coming.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Aylor's Avatar
Aylor Aylor is offline
RAD RAT
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 751
Default Game Grumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post

The timing does seem weird, and the shift in hosts was pretty sudden. If there was any kind of notice or transition period, it must have been pretty abrupt, because I never saw it coming.
There was not, the announcement of jon leaving and the next episode with the new intro as well as Steam Train were just a couple of hours apart.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Pheeel's Avatar
Pheeel Pheeel is offline
Cobra and Phases Group
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 838
Default

I kind of gave up on them it when it became apparent Sonic '06 was never going to end. I have a feeling it broke them like it broke me watching it. As in, "things are never going to be the same again."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
SpoonyBardOL's Avatar
SpoonyBardOL SpoonyBardOL is offline
I. Love. It.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Newfie Land
Posts: 14,766
Default

I haven't liked all Gam Groops that I've seen, but I've liked quite a bit.

But honestly I think I like the fan animations using their audio a lot more.

It's kind of hard to beat this.

Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Brickroad's Avatar
Brickroad Brickroad is offline
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 24,608
Default

Sonic '06 was consistently hilarious for a long time, but the Silver campaign really did just start dragging on and on. Part of that is because neither of them bothered to learn how to play the character, which caused a lot of unfocused boredom, which made for some bad videos.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM
McClain's Avatar
McClain McClain is online now
concern troll
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta-ish
Posts: 26,307
Default

I'm mostly upset that we won't see the rest of Super Star Wars.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
madhair60's Avatar
madhair60 madhair60 is offline
Video World 14 is out!
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Cambridge, England.
Posts: 14,197
Default

There are moments of Grumps that have me in hysterics. Don't Listen to Protoman is one of the funniest things. However, I'm a little soured by that period where they could not quit it with the "ironic" racism.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Aylor's Avatar
Aylor Aylor is offline
RAD RAT
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 751
Default Game Grumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Sonic '06 was consistently hilarious for a long time, but the Silver campaign really did just start dragging on and on. Part of that is because neither of them bothered to learn how to play the character, which caused a lot of unfocused boredom, which made for some bad videos.
And this seemed to become more and more prominent in their other videos, I kinda stopped watching after Naughty Bear, it was at that point where I was certain making videos so often would just make them sloppy and disinterested, that and Arin getting on his soapbox got really annoying.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Brickroad's Avatar
Brickroad Brickroad is offline
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I'm mostly upset that we won't see the rest of Super Star Wars.
Oh snap I didn't even think of that.

Well thanks for making me sad, McClain!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 PM
Red Silvers's Avatar
Red Silvers Red Silvers is offline
That Pokemon Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,422
Default

I think the videos I really enjoyed were the Castlevania ones, because at the time I had never beaten Castlevania, and I got to live Jon's torment.

Castlevania III was the same, even though I'd beaten it, because I HAD BEEN THERE.

Pokemon Emerald always made me want to scream at them though.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Brickroad's Avatar
Brickroad Brickroad is offline
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 24,608
Default

Musing about it a little more, I never really understood why Jon and Arin had to abandon their regular channels to do Game Grumps. I always just assumed they were getting more money from the silly yellin'-about-games channel then they did from their more creative works. (I'm reminded of an old blog post of Kris Straub lamenting about how he always struggled with his sci-fi comic, and then his dumb chicken scratch comic took off instead, and so he embraced it.)

Speaking as someone who has made a lot of these kinds of videos, producing a typical Game Grumps episode was certainly a lot of work. But I say that as a hobbyist with an unrelated full-time job. By all counts, this should have been something they were doing on the side while still maintaining their main stuff, right? Even at the aggressive two-per-day schedule, you'd only have to manage a four-hour recording session once every two weeks or so... and they had someone else doing their post.

What I'm saying is, I don't see why Arin had to give up Sequelitis to do Game Grumps, nor do I see why Jon has to give up Game Grumps to do... whatever it is he does. Just seems weird to me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Red Silvers's Avatar
Red Silvers Red Silvers is offline
That Pokemon Guy
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,422
Default

I think the rumor is Jon's moving in with his girlfriend or something.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Little Sampson's Avatar
Little Sampson Little Sampson is offline
Not even a *nice* duck!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,645
Default

I really liked GG at the beginning and for several months after. It started to wear off me anyway, and I always much preferred Jon's personal channel, so I'm not mourning the loss too much. I can always go back and watch Goof Troop or Jeopardy whenever I want.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-29-2013, 05:16 PM
ASandoval's Avatar
ASandoval ASandoval is online now
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 4,689
Default

I stopped watching Game Grumps a while ago - it stopped being consistently funny when they got popular enough that they realized they could just talk or joke about anything they wanted, leaving them talking about the game a lot less and descending into crass humor for the sake of being crass which just isn't as funny as "Goofy standing against a wall contemplating his existence" or the other visual gags and silly observations I was watching the show for.

then I heard Jon left, so curiosity got the best of me so I watched the first Punch Out!!! video to check out the new guy. Yeah, there were a couple of instances where it felt like he was trying a bit too hard but honestly?

I kind of liked it better.

They were talking more about the game itself, making interesting observations along with being silly and amusing. It was pretty damn refreshing honestly! I haven't watched much more beyond that but I left feeling a pretty good about it over all and will eventually check it out and see if they can keep it up. Plus, I'm excited that it means there will be more of the JonTron show where I could find Jon amusing again rather than just loud and kind of obnoxious.

edit: Oh yeah and I don't care about Steam Train or whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Andrew's Avatar
Andrew Andrew is offline
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,898
Default

I like Egoraptor. Jon is that friend of your friend who you put up with because your friend likes him, and he's occasionally funny enough that you don't want to punch him in the face. At least they have some degree of chemistry that worked for them.

I think someone needs to just make video edits of the funny parts rather than the full plays.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-29-2013, 07:23 PM
Guy's Avatar
Guy Guy is offline
Conquers the World
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hitachi, Ibaraki
Posts: 4,099
Default

I miss Jon, I thought he was pretty funny. Some of his opinions about games were kinda dumb but he was a good improviser. I like jokes I'm assuming most of that ad was improvised. Maybe not. Probably? Maybe

The new guy is pretty good but Steam Train is kind of embarrassing. It was really, really hard to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 PM
onimaruxlr's Avatar
onimaruxlr onimaruxlr is offline
I say thee neigh
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
SHUT UP

I LOVE THESE GUYS

Danny not so much
Jontron was a vortex of nega-charisma that radiated intellectual anti-matter. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

The new guys kind of dull but at least he doesn't bray like a donkey with a brain injury every 30 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
YOU SHUT UP
NEVER
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Isrieri's Avatar
Isrieri Isrieri is offline
Serial Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ohio, Land of the Dead
Posts: 1,966
Default

I like Danny. He has a sense of humor.


I've never really been an avid Game Grumps fan. The moment they revealed their channel I basically went "WELL THERE GOES THE LP COMMUNITY, NOW EVERYONE'S JUST GOING TO WATCH THESE GUYS." Because I'm not really into the two as personalities. I'm just interested in them as guys. Playing a game. Just the same reason as I'd watch any other LP. I don't really give a shit about them being funny or unfunny. The game can do that for them.

So Jon leaving didn't really have that big of an impact on me (aside from how sudden it was) and I just gave a shrug and said okay. I guess Jon is obnoxious to people but he never really bothered me. Arin and Jon definitely had a good chemistry going but it was basically from Arin being the straight man to Jon. With Danny, they're more just two guys that seem to know each other really well playing a game because.

Steam Train does not look bad. I've yet to watch an episode though because the current games don't look like they'd be that interesting to watch.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 PM
sheridanmovieguy's Avatar
sheridanmovieguy sheridanmovieguy is offline
Galaxy's Goofiest Spectre
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,023
Default

Game Grumps was always kind of a weird paradox for me, because while I found Jon and Arin to be funny (in general), the more I heard them espouse opinions, the less I liked them because it became obvious that I pretty much disagreed with them 90% of the time on most topics, especially Jon.

Two Best Friends have always been my go-to guys for "funny YouTube video game stuff" as they are consistently quite funny, do a variety of different things, and I disagree with them far less.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Andrew's Avatar
Andrew Andrew is offline
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 7,898
Default

For some reason I enjoy Continue?, even though I generally disagree with them most of the time and they really tend to be extremely lowbrow most of the time. Maybe the editing is just fairly good and my nostalgia for Broken Pixels is a big reason for it. It's like LPs for people who don't have the time to watch extensive LPs most of the time!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Brickroad's Avatar
Brickroad Brickroad is offline
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 24,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridanmovieguy View Post
Game Grumps was always kind of a weird paradox for me, because while I found Jon and Arin to be funny (in general), the more I heard them espouse opinions, the less I liked them because it became obvious that I pretty much disagreed with them 90% of the time on most topics, especially Jon.
I was usually okay disagreeing with them, when I had to, except for Castlevania. Holy crap that series made me angry. Here you had Arin and Jon basically falling over one another about how great and terrific that game is, and why everyone who hates it is wrong, at the same time as the video footage was displaying all the reasons I hate that fucking game aarrrggh!!

There were a lot of times Jon would express an opinion, though, and Arin would basically shut him down. It didn't matter much to me which grump was right, but I constantly felt like Jon should have stood his ground more often. They're both smart guys with a decent handle on Game Design Opinions; I wish the show had been more of that. Maybe now it will be?
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Guy's Avatar
Guy Guy is offline
Conquers the World
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hitachi, Ibaraki
Posts: 4,099
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridanmovieguy View Post
Game Grumps was always kind of a weird paradox for me, because while I found Jon and Arin to be funny (in general), the more I heard them espouse opinions, the less I liked them because it became obvious that I pretty much disagreed with them 90% of the time on most topics, especially Jon.
I usually agreed with Arin (except when he said using the holy water to freeze bosses in Castlevania was cheating, fuck that noise) but I always wished they could articulate their opinions better without relying on nonsense words like "gamefeel".

I also got super pissed when they played that SNES Godzilla fighting game and Arin said Mothra was terrible. Not like, in the game, just in general. I like Arin but fuck that guy
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 PM
ASandoval's Avatar
ASandoval ASandoval is online now
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 4,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
There were a lot of times Jon would express an opinion, though, and Arin would basically shut him down. It didn't matter much to me which grump was right, but I constantly felt like Jon should have stood his ground more often. They're both smart guys with a decent handle on Game Design Opinions; I wish the show had been more of that. Maybe now it will be?
Yeah, Jon wasn't very good at articulating his opinion, though a lot of the time I knew what he was getting at when it didn't seem Arin did, and I still disagreed with him. Dude has some weird opinions*.

I usually agree with Arin though, except about Zelda. And RPGs, which he seems to have a huge intolerance for.

*I chalk up some of these weird opinions to just being younger and having more appreciation for things he grew up with as a kid, like the Nintendo 64 or Donkey Kong Country games.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 PM
McClain's Avatar
McClain McClain is online now
concern troll
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Atlanta-ish
Posts: 26,307
Default

I "like" when they would talk about shit from the 80s and have no fucking idea what they were talking about (especially Jon) and it would make me feel super old. One time The A Team came up and Jon was like "what was that." And then Arin acted like Mr. T was the name of the character on the show. Holy hell.

But then Dan/Danny was talking about playing Mike Tyson's Punchout as a kid and having an NES and I was like "whoa, is this guy actually like my age?"
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Psyael Psyael is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,191
Default

I don't browse YouTube trying to find new content, so this was already popular when I found out about it.

I really didn't see the appeal, I suppose, as it felt like two guys just hanging out while a video game just happened to be on the screen. How much you like guys just recording themselves being friends and hanging out really depends on the guys in question, and I didn't know who these guys were except that both were apparently kind of known on their own channel and decided to collaborate for some reason?

I felt like I could just throw a muted Let's Play over No More Whoppers and get a Game Grumps episode I actually liked.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
d club , danny sexbang , grapes , hey i'm dan i'm also dan , jafari park , off topic eceleb drama , racism , shame grumps

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007