The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 08-07-2014, 03:31 PM
TARANTUL

Hasn't WAR always done that? The intent is that it's a trick of perspective, I'm sure, but yeah.

I used to like his old black and white stuff from like Sword and Fist best, but his color work has finally caught up with it over the past few years.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Mystery Contraption

That's some swell Fire Emblem fanart. Can;t really recognize the characters, though
Old 08-07-2014, 03:49 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
It seems he has forgotten how to draw human feet. Instead, everyone is given horse hooves, presumably in the hope that no one will notice.
Eh, maybe they just shop for boots at the same store Vayne and Penelo get theirs.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Hasn't WAR always done that? The intent is that it's a trick of perspective, I'm sure, but yeah.

I used to like his old black and white stuff from like Sword and Fist best, but his color work has finally caught up with it over the past few years.
He's always had a tendancy to foreshorten feet a bit much, but they used to usually just be really short-toed, and every once in a while he'll do actual proper feet with toes and everything. Lately though, it seems like if he isn't given some specific reminder, hooves are his default.

On the upside, it's been a while since I've seen anything by him with weird compulsive afterthought cleavage.

One could also he also has a serious problem with loading people down with too much stuff, but as someone who plays a ton of RPGs, sticking up for someone who draws characters for a lot of RPGs... I really haven't ever had a PC in any flavor of D&D whose eventual personal inventory didn't reflect the sort of things he draws. Really, the 12 knives and 8 pouches look is just accuracy, plain and simple.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:29 PM
Remembers Love

Wayne Reynold's been all over the place stylistically with the Pathfinder iconics, but I really, really like the iconic Investigator:

And that's in spite of the sword cane, goggles, duster, and typical WAR magic item clusterfuck. He absolutely killed it with the face.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 PM

I really like that one too. Which is why it really has no business being in this here thread full of embarrassing published fantasy art.

Unless you wanna poke fun at the layered coats anyway. I count 4, I think.

Otherwise, there may be cause for some kind of sister thread for actually legitimately awesome RPG illustrations and such, maybe, perhaps.

Or someone can start digging through 5e books. There must be something embarrassing in there to share here.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:55 AM
Safe Space

I can't tell if this should be here or not, but I think it's insane enough to qualify.

Old 08-11-2014, 09:02 AM

That's pretty special. Particularly how "weaknesses" is all jammed up there because they were running out of room. Also we've got the werewolf woman (wyfwolf?) down below just looking to catch all the extra bones that skeleton has going on... and there really do seem to be a surplus.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:08 AM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
typical WAR magic item clusterfuck
When's the last time you played D&D? WAR's the only artist I know who actually gets that right.
Quote:
Particularly how "weaknesses" is all jammed up there because they were running out of room.
Looks like they just scanned a page and you're seeing the curve of it to me.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:23 AM
Little Waves

Quote:
When's the last time you played D&D? WAR's the only artist I know who actually gets that right.
It reminds me of the "here's how the hero would look if you could see all the items you picked up" images from Zelda 1 and Metal Gear Solid.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:28 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
I really like that one too. Which is why it really has no business being in this here thread full of embarrassing published fantasy art.

Unless you wanna poke fun at the layered coats anyway. I count 4, I think.

Otherwise, there may be cause for some kind of sister thread for actually legitimately awesome RPG illustrations and such, maybe, perhaps.

Or someone can start digging through 5e books. There must be something embarrassing in there to share here.
Despite being able to draw a face I'd saw that images belongs in this thread. That's like Liefeld levels of garbage hanging off that guy...
Old 08-11-2014, 09:44 AM
TARANTUL

Hey! He's got 15 Str; as long as it's under 66 lbs he's not encumbered.

(note: I actually couldn't find the dude's stat block so I don't know what his Str actually is)
Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Remembers Love

Quote:
That doesn't mean it's pleasing to the eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Büge View Post
I can't tell if this should be here or not, but I think it's insane enough to qualify...
So is that just referencing Necropotence and Stasis, or is there another bombshell I'm overlooking? I feel like there's a missing piece.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Hey! He's got 15 Str; as long as it's under 66 lbs he's not encumbered.

(note: I actually couldn't find the dude's stat block so I don't know what his Str actually is)
They haven't been printed yet for that guy in particular... and I kinda wonder if they ever will honestly. They don't throw'em in the backs of AP books anymore, and this wave missed the big book of NPC stat blocks, so... I guess not until another of those goes to print, unless they toss out a collection of first level statblocks for PFS folks.

In any case, I legitimately love seeing RPG characters drawn with all the crap they always have written down on their sheets, and that guy there is by no means an extreme example. I mean, he gets alchemist extracts, but he's not loaded down with various vials, and honestly, everything you can see is essential go-to gear. It's not like he's visibly carrying around a teapot or something.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
They haven't been printed yet for that guy in particular... and I kinda wonder if they ever will honestly. They don't throw'em in the backs of AP books anymore, and this wave missed the big book of NPC stat blocks, so... I guess not until another of those goes to print, unless they toss out a collection of first level statblocks for PFS folks.

In any case, I legitimately love seeing RPG characters drawn with all the crap they always have written down on their sheets, and that guy there is by no means an extreme example. I mean, he gets alchemist extracts, but he's not loaded down with various vials, and honestly, everything you can see is essential go-to gear. It's not like he's visibly carrying around a teapot or something.
yeah both of those linked images belong in this thread. Good Goddess! what an awful aesthetic.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:40 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

If there's one thing dwarves love it's tea.

No it's not! That's the furthest possible thing from anything that dwarves like! WTF?!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post
If there's one thing dwarves love it's tea.

No it's not! That's the furthest possible thing from anything that dwarves like! WTF?!
That's kinda the whole point.

Seriously though, can we kill this derail and go back to people with hooves and one leg 3 times longer than the other stealing scrotums while making derpy faces?
Old 08-11-2014, 12:51 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

That WAR art is not a derail. It is legit terribad
Old 08-11-2014, 01:39 PM
Remembers Love

How about this: Peter Mohrbacher's art for Nissa, Worldwaker is pretty nice:

But where have I seen that face before? Oh, right:

Yolanda Visser from Die Antwoord.

Some guy on /tg/ does the heavy lifting:

I don't have a particular problem with tracing, but you could probably choose a less, er, distinctive reference - or at the very least give her bangs.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
So is that just referencing Necropotence and Stasis, or is there another bombshell I'm overlooking? I feel like there's a missing piece.
It's an illustration Mark Tedin did for Scrye magazine to accompany an article. So yes.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
yeah both of those linked images belong in this thread. Good Goddess! what an awful aesthetic.
Hey, sometimes you just need to carry 20 gallons of healing potions in the last reasonable way possible. Have you seen how fast PCs go through hit points?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:53 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

or just some rocks tied to your shit! Why not? Not like you've got to shlep up and down the land by foot. I'm sure those rocks will come in handy at some point!
Old 08-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Safe Space

Hey, you never know when you may come across a hungry xorn.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:02 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Also the picture has that problem where it shows t and a all in one impossible pose
Old 08-11-2014, 09:11 PM
King Of Space-Time

Wink

Also that is one chilly wasteland! Hello ladies!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:29 AM
Can't maintain

Quote:
Say hello to the 5e halfling:

Rock dat lute, girl.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:19 AM
Safe Space

Wow. Her proportions are all over the place. Is that just a stylistic choice of the artist, or do all 5e Halflings look like doll-people?
Old 08-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Remembers Love

The latter. I'm not a fan.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:51 AM
le petite mort

Not a fan of that look, either. Makes me think of the proportions on Magic's Kithkin, but way worse.

But I am a fan of the illustrations with characters lugging an entire arsenal or apothecary on their persons. (...!)
Old 08-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Are You Sure About That?

I've always envisioned halflings as looking like tarus/lalas from FFs XI and XIV.

Tags
cringe gallery , faaaaabulous , fine ass titties , frank 'wank' frazetta , hawt fantasy babes , impractical armor , paynus paynus paynus , penis lasers , titties hos , touch elf boob