The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-23-2013, 12:22 PM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
but not as good as their first two live shows (Daredevil and Over the Top)
Did you see Daredevil in January 2007 at Cobb's? If so I was there too. It was actually one of my first dates with my future wife!
Old 01-23-2013, 01:24 PM
Renegade Game Councelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Did you see Daredevil in January 2007 at Cobb's? If so I was there too. It was actually one of my first dates with my future wife!
Yeah, I was there with a couple of friends! That's awesome. I was the guy who asked the last Q&A question that made them go into the whole "I'M KIROK!" bit that ended the night.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM

I wish I could go to the Manos one, but the movie theatre is way over on the other side of town and the bus service here sucks. And I bum enough rides off my friends as it is.

Oh well. Maybe next time they'll do something in summer.
Old 01-25-2013, 10:37 AM
Gesundheit!

"Ooh, a lightsaber! But it's a Sith lightsaber, so FUCK YOU!" —A thing Adam Savage of Mythbusters yelled to an audience member at Rifftrax Night of the Shorts last night
Old 02-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Too Much TV Game

Cinematic Titanic will stop touring at the end of the year. I wish I could catch them live, but I'll likely be nowhere close to where they'd be performing.

In happier (?) news, Rifftrax just released their VOD of the Vanilla Ice classic "Cool As Ice". I shouldn't be spending money willy-nilly like this, but it also comes with a HD version of the movie/riff! Ahhhh!
Old 02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Too Much TV Game

The Rifftrax gang just put up a Kickstarter in hopes of licensing Twilight (or another movie on the fans' big bad list of worst films). It broke goal after only several hours. Even if you don't want to see Twilight there are still some interesting rewards. You can get three shorts (including a re-riff of MST3K fave Mr. B. Natural), a digital copy of the live show and much more!

Interestingly enough, here's the top part of the list of movies from the fans' worst list that could be used if they can't get the rights to Twilight. (The one in bold is the one I'd have the most interest in them doing.)

Twilight
Batman And Robin
Catwoman
Spider-Man 3
Super Mario Bros.
Battlefield Earth
Old 02-26-2013, 01:45 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I don't really see the point of riffing on something that's already universally hated, but I'm glad they made their goal and I hope it comes to pass.

I've hardly seen any MST3K or Rifftrax, though what I've seen of the former is fitfully funny. I'd like to see more, so I'm going to be pawing through the recommendations here.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Galaxy's Goofiest Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
I don't really see the point of riffing on something that's already universally hated
You and I have very different definitions of riffing, then...
Old 02-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Find Your Reason

Twilight isn't universally hated, though, as much as we'd like it to be. It's also a high-quality production, if not a high-quality film --so no cheap shots at fake scenery, or special effects (barring the sparkling scene) or other technical issues that MST3K sometimes riffed on. But what makes me look forward to it is that, eminently, Twilight is a boring, boring movie, and when my friends and I tried to riff it it was a disaster. Considering what an improvement the Manos Live event was over the original MST3K version, I wholeheartedly trust the Rifftrax guys to do a better job with Twilight than we could have ever done, naturally

But, man, I really wish I could get more of their stuff. Every time I go to the Rifftrax site and try to pick something, there's just SO MUCH and it all looks SO GOOD that I'm paralyzed with indecision --even if I limit my choices to films that I have at hand right now. Does anyone have any specific recommendations?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
But, man, I really wish I could get more of their stuff. Every time I go to the Rifftrax site and try to pick something, there's just SO MUCH and it all looks SO GOOD that I'm paralyzed with indecision --even if I limit my choices to films that I have at hand right now. Does anyone have any specific recommendations?
Go with genre and series. Harry Potter, Star Trek, The Matrix. All are fun to watch.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM
borgn

The Twilight rifftrax was one of their best, because they get to play on the insufferable fandom as well. Their fun-making of KStew is merciless and hilarious. She is a terrible performer.
Old 02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
Too Much TV Game

The audio tracks themselves tend to be tough sells for me because I don't own these films for a good reason. With that said, my personal recommendation is to first look at the shorts and pick a few that sound delightfully boring/banal. (The shorts were often the secret best part of MST3K to many viewers.) They are either a dollar or maybe $2 and often they are great because of how tightly focused the riffing can be on shorter material.

Most of the VODs are also recommended! The live shows are good, but I'd pick some of the goofier and more out-there nonsense. (Zef, I think something like Brainiac would be up your alley. Cheap Mexican horror!) VODs to recommend without question include Guy From Harlem, Buffalo Rider and if you're up for a punishingly...90s movie, try the recently-released Cool As Ice. They have also riffed some unbelievably cheap and inane action movies featuring actual actors in them!
Old 02-27-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Twilight isn't universally hated, though, as much as we'd like it to be.
It is among the target audience, i.e folks who would watch a Rifftrax of it. The clips weren't very inspiring (bestiality joke immediately followed by Hot Topic joke) but in my limited experience these don't play well as "best ofs", there was very much a building sense of absurdity and call-backs in the, what, three MST3Ks I've seen. I plan to remedy that.

For the record, the ones I've seen were The Movie (This Island Earth), which was very funny, Gumby's Robot Rumpus, which was hilarious, and something about Spiders I think... begins with a baseball game. Also hilarious and outrageously crap.

My main problem with MST3K/Rifftrax is that as a fan of obscure/trashy cinema I often find myself concentrating on the movie itself and "tuning out" the gags.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:32 PM
That bug is NUTS!

My friend and I are doing a little MSTie-type project and I would totally appreciate some feedback and eyes-on.

The basic idea is that we're watching TV theme songs on loop for (roughly) an hour and using the repetition to springboard conversations and riffs about the show in question. We don't do so many specific jokes on what's going on at that exact moment, but rather segue into longer form conversations. But still, I'd say in the same ballpark your standard "humorous commentary track from a third party about another video" shows.

So far we've tackled Highlander and Baywatch. The Highlander "episode" is the newer and by far superior of the two simply for technical reasons (the microphone we used for Baywatch was not great) and the fact that we had better figured out what worked as far as the format.

They're by no means "watch for 90 seconds and move on" videos - consider them more like podcasts. They might be good for when you're at work or doing something else on the computer to have as background. I'd be super appreciative of anyone who watched.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:31 PM
Better be the real thing.

Well, I'm half an hour into the Highlander video, and enjoying it so far. Mostly I'm struck by how 90's basic cable this show was. It's hard to describe; everything from the sets to the costumes to the effects; somehow it just encapsulates it perfectly.

Let me know if you need a guest star.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:34 PM

Oh yeah! I almost posted this in the books thread, but I suppose it fits just as well here. Anyway, I was poking around one of the local bookstores, when I found The 1977 Annual World's Best SF, and saw the contents. When I saw Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, I knew I had to have it.

Turns out it's one more decent story with a poor, poor adaptation.

So what's different? The two most glaring changes I found were:

(1) Virtually everything about Novicorp, from Fatman to all the Casablanca stuff, is completely invented for the movie, mostly to expand on the existing story. The Casablanca stuff helps give Fingal some personality, but there's no indication that cinemas are banned or anything. But then, as Mike & the Bots themselves point out, you don't put a good movie in your bad one. There's no corporate scheming, just a major technical snafu; and putting his brain in an animal isn't a punishment, it's how he takes a vacation.

(2) The romance between Fingal and Apollonia. In the short story, he falls in love with her, but she makes it totally clear she's not interested, at least until the end, when they meet in real life. In the movie, she falls in love with him.

Another big change is how Fingal experiences his time in the mainframe. As in the movie, he does cause damage by hacking it, but mostly by accident, not to spite Novicorp. Most of the conflict in the story is from Fingal trying to find something to do while Apollonia searches for his body; he's in the mainframe for a year, in which time he takes some classes and gets a degree. Then in the end, it turns out what he experienced as a year was only six hours (which is also why Apollonia doesn't fall in love with him: she barely knows him!)

When I watched the movie again yesterday, I was actually shocked by what they included from the story. One: a scene in the mainframe where Fingal asks a woman to sleep with him; she says no, but he has her rewind, after which she says yes. Two, when Apollonia appears to give him the Ten Commandments of living in a virtual environment. It's supposed to be tongue-in-cheek, but it still comes off as goofy when it plays out in the movie.

Apparently the same PBS station adapted Between Time and Timbuktu and The Lathe of Heaven, but none of them did well enough to produce any more.

Sadly, both versions of Overdrawn lack a scene where Fingal turns into a VR Trooper and fights the minions of Grimlord.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:34 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Hey, thanks for watching the video, Alex. I'll keep you in mind if we invite special guests into the mix. (We might!)

I think there's quite a few MST episodes that have the seeds of a good story in them that are just ruined by small budgets, inept film makers and poor acting.

Hamlet is one, obviously. I also think that Time Chasers has a pretty decent time travel story, it's just ruined by pretty much everything else. The Final Sacrifice isn't high literature, but it's a classic enough tale that with a little bit more budget and some better actors it would simply have been forgotten rather than reviled.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:11 PM
borgn

Does the book contain a passage wherein he discusses his testicles with his mother?
Old 03-21-2013, 04:39 PM
Galaxy's Goofiest Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Does the book contain a passage wherein he discusses his testicles with his mother?
Does he scream "I'M INTERFACED!" at some point?

Is the book just as biased against anteaters?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:26 PM

I don't think so, on the first two, and more antelopes than anything else.

And yeah, there are definitely plenty of movies that had a good one buried underneath. A little competence did wonders for the 90's Gamera trilogy and Gamera the Brave. And then there's the mileage the MST guys got from Leonard Maltin giving some of their movies decent reviews.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 AM
certified comics master

Thanks for your post, Alex Scott. It was interesting to read how they bungled and bobbled the Fingal dopple.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:39 PM
Find Your Reason

Crossposting from the cool Kickstarters thread:
Quote:
Guys! A reminder that if you want to see Twilight riffed live by the RiffTrax crew, you have 48 hours to contribute!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:04 PM
TARANTUL

Just got back from seeing Joel Hodgeson's Riffing Myself live, which was actually pretty awesome. Basically a slide show where he went over the inception of MST3k.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Banned

i like to "riff" during church services
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 AM
Find Your Reason

Welp, the Twilight Rifftrax Live! event fell through. The copyright owners apparently wouldn't object to having the movie riffed to hell and back, but "not this summer." Instead, the Rifftrax Live event has secured the rights for Starship Troopers! (And the Kickstarter email states that this gives them easier access to Sony's film archive, so there's that.)
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 AM

It seems bizarre to riff on an excellent movie that's already extremely funny and thick with irony. I would probably tune out the riffing and just watch Starship Troopers.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Too Much TV Game

I was hoping they would, like they mentioned before, just go down their fan-chosen list of "WORST MOVIES EVAR" until they found one they were able to license. I was mostly hoping they'd eventually do Super Mario Bros., but eh. I'm not entirely sure about Starship Troopers but it's probably a popular pick. I somewhat hope the Rifftrax team gets sidetracked again so an even better choice can be made.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 PM
borgn

Dr. Who and the Daleks is available as a Rifftrax all-in-one download right now (movie and riffing together) for those of you who like your vague cult sci-fi crossovers that are both non-canon.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 AM
That bug is NUTS!

Did anyone go to see the recent Rifftrax Live of Starship Troopers?

Also, I recorded another one of those Aaron and John Watch videos where we watch the Captain N theme on loop for an hour. Gaaaaah
Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 AM

Sure did. I might have to actually make a road trip for the next one; I'm ready to see this live for real.

Tags
big mclargehuge , deep hurting , hi-keeba! , humor , it stinks , kill me with a forklift , magic things , mitchell , mst3k , noooooo springs! , rock climbing , rowsdower! , sandstorm! , stuffing vs. potatoes , thanksgiving tradition , watch out for snakes , we've got movie sign