The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 08-02-2012, 12:59 PM
is Earnest

It's an excellent game. Based on what I've seen/played, it's the best version of The Walking Dead.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 PM
Sudden chomper

Just finished episode 2. It's a shame how things turned out with Kenny for me, we were getting along so well. That said, I feel like I got just a little taste of the save problems people have been having with this game. All of my choices carried over, except for the one where I told Kenny to punch Larry when he was threatening to toss Duck to the walkers. He mentioned twice how I didn't back him up, which is totally wrong. I wonder if we would have been on better terms at the end of the game, if so? I probably shouldn't have called him a murderer after escaping from the farm.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Lucky In Love

I'm really digging this so far and I just got to the farm in Ep1. It's kind of a little like if Heavy Rain was well edited and also had good acting and unique art instead of creepo realism. It's a lot less boring than the other Telltale games I've tried demos for, that's for sure.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:28 AM
Hawkguy

Episode 3 is out on PSN today!
Old 08-29-2012, 07:56 PM
heh

Oh man, Episode 3.
I'm not sure it's as shocking as 2, but I think it's a much better episode. I'm really starting to wonder how much my choices effect the story.

For example:
Would I have been able to save Carly? Probably not, considering leaving lily behind is in the stats
But
If I hadn't chosen to save Duck in episode 1, how would everything have played out on the train in this episode?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:32 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I just bought this last night for PC! I haven't started yet; how long does each episode take to play?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:35 PM
happiness is a wet cudgel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I just bought this last night for PC! I haven't started yet; how long does each episode take to play?
They're about 2 hours each.
Old 08-30-2012, 03:22 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

"Hey you know this shit doesn't have batteries in it right?"
"Oh."
"I'll look for some!"
"Thanks, I wouldn't even know what to look for."

WHAT KIND OF MOTHER FUCKER DOESN'T KNOW WHAT A BATTERY IS

Edit: My only major complaint so far is that when Clem gets attacked in the pharmacy in Episode 1 and it goes to a QTE to save her, I had no idea how to do it and it was over in a second and now everyone is calling me out on it but I have no idea what I did wrong. But whatever.

Last edited by Alixsar; 08-30-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:00 AM
Too Much TV Game

Finished the third episode.

Carley/Doug's required death was ridiculous. It made no goddamn sense and was clearly designed to write a story arc out of the game. I jettisoned Lilly immediately afterward because screw her. (It also smells like a retcon after the writers realized that no one picked Doug because Carley was a) attractive b) interesting c) actually useful in the first episode.) Carley was at least a rational person and a good shot...and now I'm stuck with being forced to interact with useless morons.

Also not a fan of any of the new characters, notably whipped husband who is yet another stupid worthless asshole that I'll have to keep saving.

With all that said, I did enjoy my time with the episode...but that first spoiler especially hurts. Why can't I, outside Clementine, interact with likable characters?
Old 09-01-2012, 04:43 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I want to go on record and say that this dairy farm is sketchy as hell and there is no fucking way this ends well at all.

Edit: ARGH I KNEW IT

Alternative "Man that was obvious"/Strongbad reference-response:

ARROWED
\

I figured they were cannibals at first, and...well maybe they still are (the farm hands...and is it too B-movieish to expect that Farm Mom says Mark "didn't make it" and then Mark is dinner?), but it also seems like they're using the group to eliminate the bandits they fucked over. I don't know, I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I don't know how/when it'll happen but the whole Kenny/Lilly choice that they've been lazily foreshadowing (just now when I told Kenny I didn't want to pick sides he said "to start thinking about it because the time is coming") is probably going to be batshit insane, isn't it?

Last edited by Alixsar; 09-01-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:30 AM
heh

It might not end up being what you think, but it definitely keeps getting interesting.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Hey I just finished episode 1 last night and wake up this morning to play episode 2 and for some reason all of my choices from episode 1 have been reversed! That's just awesome for a game that is all about choices mattering!
Old 09-02-2012, 02:44 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by teekun View Post
It might not end up being what you think, but it definitely keeps getting interesting.
It was exactly what I thought it was. But that's okay! I still liked the whole thing.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:02 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by O..O~ View Post
Hey I just finished episode 1 last night and wake up this morning to play episode 2 and for some reason all of my choices from episode 1 have been reversed! That's just awesome for a game that is all about choices mattering!
What version of the game are you playing? I remember some people having problems with the 360 version where their save from Episode 1 didn't carry over properly and they were just given default choices.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Quote:
What version of the game are you playing? I remember some people having problems with the 360 version where their save from Episode 1 didn't carry over properly and they were just given default choices.
PC. From what I am reading sometimes the fix they have listed on their support section doesn't actually fix it if you go back and replay episode 1. This is my first telltale game and this is the kind of glitch that makes me swear off a developer, especially when I find posts dating back to over two months ago about the issue. To make it worse the earliest chapter of episode 1 that shows up in my rewind is when you meet clem at the her house, so I can't just go straight to the ending and see if that works.

Last edited by O..O~; 09-02-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
heh

Yeah, that's a real shame. It sucks that they haven't got this working completely, considering what a critical part of the experience it is. This is unfortunately their first game that's been structured like this, which probably explains the issues that keep cropping up. Their previous series' were stand-alone games that could be played independently,with only very minor, if any, things carrying into the next.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:27 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

So I started Episode 3 tonight and I'm about an hour in and so far my feelings can be summarized as

JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE FUCK

Also the "hint" system is great. It fucks with you just as much as it helps you. I love it.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:32 PM
heh

Episode 3 made me feel sick and angry after the end of the first half. I only played a little further before taking a break and coming back later.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I say thee neigh

There's been complaints that Episode 3 makes apparent how relatively unambitious the game is in terms of having the narrative really get super-branchy, and while I guess I have to admit that's true to an extent, I don't really think it's as negative as folks are making it out to be. The choices you make are more about coloring your experience than they are dictating the direction the story goes in, and I'm fine with that.

CLEMENTINE IF YOU ARE LEADING ME INTO AN AMBUSH YOU ARE GROUNDED MISSY
Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 PM
heh

Yeah, I've read similar complaints but I never went into this expecting the game to branch off into a completely different plot-line because of my choices. That's simply not realistic.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:29 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
There's been complaints that Episode 3 makes apparent how relatively unambitious the game is in terms of having the narrative really get super-branchy, and while I guess I have to admit that's true to an extent, I don't really think it's as negative as folks are making it out to be. The choices you make are more about coloring your experience than they are dictating the direction the story goes in, and I'm fine with that.
Yup! It also kind of screws with you and forces you to worry about things that ultimately are completely out of your control, which I like. A giant Lilly vs. Kenny throwdown is hinted at for two games and a good chunk of the third, and then in the end, there is no ultimate choice. Early on I was Pro-Kenny, and then he started being a jerk so I decided to go Pro-Lilly, and then she started getting hyper paranoid so I wasn't really sure anymore...and then it turns out that you don't ever get a choice; Lilly is a crazy mother fucker, kills someone for no reason (after I THOUGHT I had talked her down) and then you either abandon her and she's gone for good...or take her and she steals the RV and is gone for good anyway! Kenny's entire life goes to shit and you are suddenly the only thing he has left in ANY capacity. I mean, when Kenny killed someone, at least it was because he was possibly about to turn. Lilly just did it for no reason. And to a character everyone liked! ARGHABLARGH!

I kind of screwed up the final choice and didn't see that saving Omid was an option, so I saved Christa first and then I thought "oh right he had a fucked up leg". He makes it anyway, but I also sorta wonder if I should've pushed him? Maybe that'd save his leg from being fucked up? I don't know.

I was briefly talking to Widdershins about it on Steam and we were wondering if there was any way you could get Lilly to shoot someone other than Carley (or we're assuming Doug too if you chose him)? Like, if you throw Ben under the bus, does she kill Ben instead? I'm not the save scumming type so I'll live with Carley being dead even though I don't want to, but it's interesting.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:51 AM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
I was briefly talking to Widdershins about it on Steam and we were wondering if there was any way you could get Lilly to shoot someone other than Carley (or we're assuming Doug too if you chose him)? Like, if you throw Ben under the bus, does she kill Ben instead? I'm not the save scumming type so I'll live with Carley being dead even though I don't want to, but it's interesting.
Supposedly if Doug is still alive Lily hones in 100% on Ben (sharp instincts for a paranoid psycho) and tries to shoot him, but Doug takes the bullet trying to save him.

That dopey Shaggy-sounding asshole had better pull his weight in the next chapter because Carley had killed more zombies than that clown had even seen >:|
Old 09-04-2012, 01:57 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Question: Ben came clean to you guys too, right? I'm wondering if this is a thing that happens to everyone or if he just told me because I was honest with him earlier in the story and told him I was a murderer.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
Question: Ben came clean to you guys too, right? I'm wondering if this is a thing that happens to everyone or if he just told me because I was honest with him earlier in the story and told him I was a murderer.
Yes, he'll spill his guts. I didn't tell him about Lee's past because my first thought was "he's a stupid teenager". Note: Spoiler for a bit later in Episode 3: I laughed so hard when I met Omid and Christa and I had the option to say "Ben's a stupid teenager."
Old 09-04-2012, 08:11 PM
Sudden chomper

Holy shit, man, Episode 3 was super intense. It's true that Lily waxing that dude/lady kind of comes out of nowhere when it happens, but they definitely laid the groundwork for her being completely burned out and paranoid and the suddenness of it was really effective. I ditched her on the side of the road after that, but I couldn't help but feel bad about it, since it was probably just her being completely overstressed that made her pull the trigger. Still, shit like that makes you a liability, and the more I thought about it the more I feel like she earned her trip to zombie-chow-town.

The bits later on with Kenny's family really got me, I felt so bad. I offered to put the kid out of his/their misery, but once Katja killer herself I started to think that Kenny needed to do it himself. Figured that he needed to have some measure of control over the situation, or else he might unravel after seeing everything be taken away from him. Maybe that was selfish of me, or stupid, I don't know.

The last bit was interesting - obviously, the bit with the walkie talkie has me really curious, but I was also wondering about the giant zombie hoard that attacks the train right as you're cutting down the tanker. Was that just to create a dramatic chase sequence, or is there something bigger going on here? If for some reason the walkers have all decided to start migrating toward Savannah, our crew might be in for a really nasty surprise further down the line.

Overall, this has definitely been my favorite episode so far. Good character growth, some shocking developments and a bit of intrigue to spice things up. I wasn't impatient waiting for Ep3 to come out, but I will be finding it hard to wait for the next one.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:32 PM
heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
but I was also wondering about the giant zombie hoard that attacks the train right as you're cutting down the tanker. Was that just to create a dramatic chase sequence, or is there something bigger going on here? If for some reason the walkers have all decided to start migrating toward Savannah, our crew might be in for a really nasty surprise further down the line.
The comic books touch on this a bit. Its just that sometimes zombies roaming together kinda fall in with others and gradually build up a huge swarm. I don't think they're going for anything serious that will bite them later, but who knows. I was seriously disappointed that the tanker didn't explode though. What's the point of that whole setup if it's just going to light a flame that doesn't seem to even slow them?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Can't maintain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
The last bit was interesting - obviously, the bit with the walkie talkie has me really curious, but I was also wondering about the giant zombie hoard that attacks the train right as you're cutting down the tanker. Was that just to create a dramatic chase sequence, or is there something bigger going on here? If for some reason the walkers have all decided to start migrating toward Savannah, our crew might be in for a really nasty surprise further down the line.
Quote:
The comic books touch on this a bit. Its just that sometimes zombies roaming together kinda fall in with others and gradually build up a huge swarm. I don't think they're going for anything serious that will bite them later, but who knows. I was seriously disappointed that the tanker didn't explode though. What's the point of that whole setup if it's just going to light a flame that doesn't seem to even slow them?
Also, that train is loud. What we saw there was the massive horde of zombies that the noise from the train attracted. They were stopped long enough for the horde - or at least the leading portion of it - to catch up with them.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
A Dream Beneath the Sun

Lily killing Carley in cold blood was the biggest gutshot for me so far in the series. Carley was basically the best character in the game (besides Clementine) and she gets shot on the suspicion of stealing supplies!

This was the first time in the game that I didn't take a moment to sit back and think about how my decision would effect the game at large. I left Lily on the side of the road with no regrets whatsoever.

Also, it was nice of Omid to call me an asshole after I went out of my way to save his life and his stupid broken leg.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:39 AM
swimming with nanocarp

I played through the 3 available episodes in 4 days, and sheesh, I'm hooked. Both times, when I booted up 2 and 3 on succssive nights, I intened to play for 45 minutes or so and then go to bed, and both times I just played the whole episode.

While I understand people's complaints at the closing in of the narrative when Lily just offs one of the characters, it was a pretty emotional part in the game. I've been trying to play it cool the whole game, but at that moment if I had a choice to but a bullet in Lily, I probably would have. I left her there, and as some of you mentioned, regretted that a bit later on, but I think it was the right thing to do. Can't have someone like that around Clementine.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:37 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

Why is no one talking about Episode 4?!

I (major spoilers ahead) saved Ben. Dude's not gonna die until I say so. Kenny didn't go with me to help look for Clem because I pissed him off a bunch throughout. He still said I could come along on the boat even though I was bitten, though...so he's not a total jackass. Poor Chuck, though. I'm glad that wasn't a choice because I was pretty sure it was going to be and I REALLY didn't know what to do there.

Incidentally, everyone got bitten too right? I didn't search the trash there at first and I thought "oh what's the worst that could GOD FUCKING DAMN ITTTTT" and now I don't even...I mean I figured at worst a zombie would pop out and we'd kill it...and that IS what happened...but then I got bit?! ARGH. I'm sure it probably happens either way, but some confirmation would be nice.

I mean, the guy on the walkie talkie is the head dude from Crawford, right? Right? It HAS to be. Who the fuck else could it be? Lee even made a point about how he must've thought he was a bad ass when he saw his poster in the school, and the tape showed that every one in Crawford was scared of him. If anyone made it out of there alive it was him.

And what the hell is Vernon's deal? Where did he get off to? Again, head dude from Crawford must've done something.

Molly will pop back up at some point, erm, maybe? Fuck I can't tell with these games.

FUCK. Fuck! When is Episode 5 out? Episode 4 didn't hit the shit-got-real-ness of Episode 3 but it was still great, and it set up an amazing finale. Incidentally, according to Wikipedia, they're going to do a Season 2 of this! I am so into that it hurts. Even if choices don't carry over and it's all new people. Doesn't matter. These games are great.

So yeah, play this game!

Tags
adventure games , don't click dead inside , famous , fuck you too larry , goddamit , helpful children , i can't reach that brick , lee is urban , telltale , telltale gutpunchin' , video games , we are the walking dead , zombies