The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 06-25-2012, 02:54 PM
23 ski-dook

Default We're Talkin' Tea Time

It really is just like the thread title says! What is the best tea, folks? Do you like your tea with milk and sugar or as plain as can be? Herbal tea with silly names or straight-up caffeine-type deals? Iced, hot, or hiced!? How you drink it is up to you, though it's preferable that you use your mouth.

I only have a few boxes of tea on hand, and they're all pretty good. The cinnamon apple one I've got is easily the tastiest, and every cup of tea I've made at home has been milk/sugar/honey-free so far.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
le petite mort

I love herbal teas with silly names. I'm such a girl. (Do manly men only drink black tea?)

There's a Celestial Seasonings holiday tea called Gingerbread Spice and with a little bit of honey (or even not!), it's just so wonderful and amazing and I would drink this forever and be happy.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
borgn

I usually like to drink regular ol' bags of Lipton, or the store-brand equivalent, because it's a comfort beverage. Milk and a little sugar, that's how my mom introduced me to tea as a wee tyke, and a mug of tea on a winter day teleports me back to that age. Though I will admit that on cold nights, a mug of citrus-flavored tea with a little brandy in it is so fine.

On iced tea, from the Happiness thread:

Quote:
I like to use a small amount of non-sugar sweetener, by the glass, so each person can tailor it to their own tastes. Like, for me, when I say "iced tea" I really mean more of an Arnold Palmer, because I love a lot of lemon in it. Iced tea is at its best when it's more like a slightly savory lemonade. I had three glasses of it today so far!!
This assumes I'm making a big batch of unsweetened tea to put in a jug or pitcher. Pour a glass, add a little somethin'-somethin'. MMM.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:25 PM
23 ski-dook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Celestial Seasonings
A fine choice!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:32 PM
concern troll

I love black tea with flavoring. One of the best part of my workplace is they have a full Bigelow selection, so I can sip on Lemon Lift or Constant Comment to my heart's content.

I rarely make tea at home, since I have it at work all the time, but I like a loose dark tea, maybe an Earl Grey, or something like a mint or jasmine blend.

Really, I like just about any kind of tea, though I'm not as much of a fan of really fruity herbals.

As for cold sweet tea, I've noticed that as I get older I like it less sweet. If I get it when I go out I tend to get it half unsweet, at least.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:24 PM

Tea has been my favorite beverage ever since I was a kid. I like my tea hot with a little bit sweetener added, and never with any milk or honey. Black tea, herbal tea, or fruity tea are all agreeable to me; although for some reason, I never really like cold/iced tea.

(also, that tea mini-game/sidequest from Diabolical Box is the best thing)
Old 06-25-2012, 04:29 PM
concern troll

Oh man, nothing is better when you are sick than a Hot Toddy. One time my roommate and I were both sick as crap, and we spent the entire day lounging around and taking turns making Hot Toddys and watching The West Wing on DVD. Other than the cold/flu making me want to die it was a pretty good day!
Old 06-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoWeasel View Post
The cinnamon apple one I've got is easily the tastiest, and every cup of tea I've made at home has been milk/sugar/honey-free so far.
You're damn right it is, Mr. Demolitions!

God Damned Right.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

Lemon, peach, and raspberry tea are the best.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:28 PM
PROF. VIDEO GAMES, PHD.

Quote:
Man, I'm sorry, but that tea is just gross (so are most of Celestial Seasoning's other "holiday" offerings). Their orange spice tea, however, is pretty excellent!

I will just drink pretty much any kind of tea but there are some varieties of mint which are tops. Once I had this CRAAAAAZY Russian black tea with peach (Tsar Nicholas II) which was totally the best, but I haven't been able to find it in any Russian grocery since I first found it.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:36 PM
Spear of Justice

Tazo makes a pretty good bagged chai tea. I'm not enough of a purist to bother with pot brewing.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman Deluxe View Post
Tazo makes a pretty good bagged chai tea. I'm not enough of a purist to bother with pot brewing.
Oh, I've had that, it is pretty good! I know purists probably hate the idea of bagged Chai, but I think it's quite tasty.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:44 PM
the :motion: stands

Peet's Pride of the Port is amazing at home, but they've ruined it every time I've had it in-store.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:47 PM
gatchapon 3*

i drink tea every day, generally oolong or earl gray.

also, if you're calling it chai tea, go to hell. and stop by the atm machine so you can get some cash for your salsa sauce.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:49 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
also, if you're calling it chai tea, go to hell. and stop by the atm machine so you can get some cash for your salsa sauce.
"Hey, did you know that 'chai' just means 'tea,' so 'chai tea' is kinda redundant. THE MORE YOU KNOW!"

See how much nicer that was than telling us to "go to hell"?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:02 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
Man, I'm sorry, but that tea is just gross (so are most of Celestial Seasoning's other "holiday" offerings). Their orange spice tea, however, is pretty excellent!
This genuinely makes me sad that you don't like it! Not very sad, mind you, but that gingerbread stuff is a damn good cup o' tea. I will cede you, though, that most of their holiday teas can be cloyingly sweet. The Sugar Plum variety was especially, obnoxiously so.

Also, I forgot. My friend got me into a specific brand of tea called MightyLeaf. It's a bit pricey for my CS tastes, but as a splurge once in a while, they make a variety of new and old tea styles.

There is much that could be said about chai but I think we're having a lovely chat about tea, so!
Old 06-25-2012, 06:08 PM
concern troll

I was drinking Vanilla Chai at the worst job I ever had and now I think I have a taste aversion.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:13 PM
le petite mort

You know, you talking about aversion reminds me. I've only gotten into tea fairly recently, because before then, it was always something I had when I was sick. So the beverage became associated with sore throats, swollen tonsils, and nausea. No thank you.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:14 PM
concern troll

Quote:
You know, you talking about aversion reminds me. I've only gotten into tea fairly recently, because before then, it was always something I had when I was sick. So the beverage became associated with sore throats, swollen tonsils, and nausea. No thank you.
HA, that's funny, because my mom used to always make me herbal tea when I was sick, but instead I associate it with comfort and being taken care of.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:26 PM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
HA, that's funny, because my mom used to always make me herbal tea when I was sick, but instead I associate it with comfort and being taken care of.
Awww. That's kind of what I associate it with now! C:
Old 06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Yggdrasicilian

Oh man, I hate to be "That guy" but... I drink pu-erh brewed in the "gong-fu" style.

Put a lot of leaves in a small vessel, fill it with hot water then immediately pour it out.
Fill it again and let steep a few seconds, then drink. Repeat many times, increasing the steeping length each time. Enjoy the evolving flavor as the bitterness falls away and you start to notice the complex vegetal flavors and sweet aftertaste. Also some of them can be quite bracing with elements of camphor.

It's interesting and was a totally unique experience my first time. Still is. ...But man, the first time you really gotta stick it out. And do yourself a favor by getting a "cooked" one to start. Going with a "raw" un-aged brick of tea is going to put you off of it if it's not the highest quality stuff. My mother called it "bitter death".
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 AM
The Shogun of Harlem

I drink pretty much nothing but Irish Breakfast tea because it's strong as fuck and that's the way I like it (the brand I typically buy is in the picture on that link too). Go big or go home. Usually I use milk too, but not all of the time.

Chai tastes weird. Well, actually it doesn't. It tastes great. But then if you go to the store and buy something that says it's chai or whatever, it tastes like shitbags. I don't trust pre-made chai stuff, because it's always inferior to the real thing.

Fruit-y teas are bullshit. You should never have them because they are always gross.

If I'm not drinking Irish tea, I'm drinking Earl Grey, green, or oolong. But that's kinda rare these days.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:21 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Yes. Alixar understands tea.

Keep that fruity/sugary nonsense away from me.

My boyfriend and I buy boxes and boxes of Irish Breakfast tea (that exact brand!) every time we go to the grocery store to help us get through life. It looks like we are crazy tea hoarders or something right after we replenish our stock. Then we have some green/earl grey/oolong on the side for more relaxed times or to pair with meals, and mint for sore throats/sickness relief.

I do like Chai though, but only when it's served for free at Indian/Pakistani restaurants.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 AM
gatchapon 3*

alex and estragon speak truth.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:05 AM

Okiedokie. Irish Breakfast tea goes on my grocery list now. (I had no idea tea could have any significant caffeine content).

So can this stuff replace coffee?

I'll drink pretty much any tea for the taste and aroma. You know I like (English?) black tea a lot. It seems to have a kick to it and when I'm finished drinking it I have to head to the bathroom immediately for liquid disposal. Whoever made the urine tag for this thread is right. Peeing is a delight.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:15 AM
What Time Is It?

Uhhh, oolong and, like, mint?

But there is no oolong tea to be found in Korea, so not much tea drinking going on here. Only green tea and awful barley tea.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:58 AM
GASP

I like most hibiscus-based herbals, but this is my favorite.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good black tea to use in making milk tea? I'm probably not going to go as far as adding boba because calories and bubble tea should be a special event anyway, but I would like to try making my own milk tea.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:01 AM
borgn

English Breakfast is good too guys. Mmm-mm. And lord help me but I love the stuff that gets served at Chinese restaurants. Jasmine, I guess it is? I bunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryonin View Post
Oh man, I hate to be "That guy" but... I drink pu-erh brewed in the "gong-fu" style.
You'd only be that guy* if you were to intimate that your weird ritual was the best way to do tea and only smart, classy people do it that way because they're more worldly and better than everyone else.

Tea!

*and we already have that guy.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:16 AM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Okiedokie. Irish Breakfast tea goes on my grocery list now. (I had no idea tea could have any significant caffeine content).

I'll drink pretty much any tea for the taste and aroma. You know I like (English?) black tea a lot. It seems to have a kick to it and when I'm finished drinking it I have to head to the bathroom immediately for liquid disposal. Whoever made the urine tag for this thread is right. Peeing is a delight.
Yes, black tea can replace coffee for caffeine content. Oolong, earl grey/lady grey, and lemon lift are my primary caffeine sources when at work. At home, it's all about house made cha.

So let me tell you how i make cha to make up for my snark earlier.

take half a cup of water and half a cup of milk and boil together. take a spoonful of lipton loose black tea (or whatever loose black you have--never green or white or oolong), and a few spoons of sugar, a few mint leaves, and a spoonful of cha masala (tea spice blend) and boil until it looks mahogany brown. The longer, the stronger.

The spice blend is different for each family, but its some mix of ground up ginger, cardamom, cinnamon, peppercorns, and cloves. I'll have to ask my grandmother, but you can get a box of ready made from any indian grocery.

enjoy.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:09 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post

Yeah, in the morning I either have this or coffee but not both. YMMV, of course. Also, make sure not to steep it TOO long since it starts to get mad crazy bitter, yo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
English Breakfast is good too guys. Mmm-mm. And lord help me but I love the stuff that gets served at Chinese restaurants
It is good, but I like Irish better. Possibly because I'm a tiny bit Irish and green is my favorite color and it comes in a green box? Or, more likely, because it's stronger and I'm into that. Or maybe both.

And yeah, I'm with you on the Chinese restaurant tea. Twining's puts out something (slightly racistly?) called China Oolong tea that I think is pretty good. I have no idea what it actually is, since there's a billion different kinds of oolong and oolong itself is supposed a mix of black and green tea...? Or something? Or maybe it isn't?

Look, whatever, I don't know but what I'm saying is that the one in that box tastes like the stuff in restaurants, which tastes good. It's really light but it has a nice flavor. It's not overwhelming. That's usually my "night" tea whereas Irish is my "morning" tea.

Tags
20 minute brews , beverages , brew , chai-na town , iced tea bitchez , megaman , nam-fuckin'-barrie , now i'm tea'd off , num num! , tea , teatime , urine