The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 06-07-2016, 08:58 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Yeah, the B&N by me has a Gunpla case (as well as a Figarts case for several diff brands), but most of their models were IBO and random SEED Destiny mechs.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:58 AM
Objection!

That's a nice MkII. And I actually thought the MG F91 was a pretty good kit (I actually have both a MG F91 AND a MG MP F91 built, but not yet put back on a shelf. I really should put them up together.). I could see them being a little fiddly since they're pretty thin mobile suits, though. Wouldn't be as bad as my MG V Gundam, though...

Man, I feel kind of bad about letting my backlog languish. Maybe tonight I'll build a couple of my smaller ones. I have a ton of LBXes sitting around, and I got a SD Scopedog Red Shoulder Custom a bit ago that finally got delivered.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
I'm betting a lot of casual US buyers would feel cheated if they had gorgeous painted-and-lined kits on display and then that's not what a build looked like out of the box.
That's a fair point. But I don't need them airbrushed or sanded or anything. Cleaning up the nubs and some rudimentary panel lines would do wonders, and isn't that big of an investment to ask when you're already charging $30 for a HG. It wouldn't take much to stick a little box of gundam markers next to the display either for those panel lines, or a few pair of nippers. I think it's more disappointing when you put yours together and it doesn't look nearly as good as the promotional pictures or even the instruction manual make it out to look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
That's a nice MkII. And I actually thought the MG F91 was a pretty good kit (I actually have both a MG F91 AND a MG MP F91 built, but not yet put back on a shelf. I really should put them up together.). I could see them being a little fiddly since they're pretty thin mobile suits, though. Wouldn't be as bad as my MG V Gundam, though...
TY. It's a no frills, no decals, no paint build. But I did try out the whole paint/lighter fluid panel washing technique for doing panel lining for the first time with this, and I'm very pleased with the results.

And the MG F91 isn't a bad kit by any stretch. I love the mech, and I'm pleased with a lot of the results so far. It's just got a high degree of difficulty. It's got MG levels of detail and intricacy, but the kit is the size of an HG essentially. And it's nerve wracking to hold plastic parts the size of grains of rice and try to not slice your fingers open with an x-acto knife. Even though it would break the 1/100 convention scale, I wish other late-UC kits got the whole 2.0 ver Ka treatment the V2 recently got, where Kataoki decided "meh, screw scale" and modeled the kit more in line with other MGs in the 7-8 inch height range rather than being a 5 inch dwarf.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Objection!

That actually makes me more interested in getting the MG V2. I have the MG V ver Ka (and the V Dash add-on), and MAN. That kit is GORGEOUS but it's also incapable of sustaining it's own weight. Like, it's so small even at 1/100 scale that the snap connectors are smaller then a millimeter in diameter and length, so they barely connect at all. And there's whole swaths of the kit where you have to hold it together with wishes and prayers until you can finally put the retaining pieces on to hold it into place... and then hope and pray that it actually stays connected because the posts are so tiny.

After the like, 5th time that the whole thing just fell apart just standing in a post, I finally just put it back in it's box and gave up. And it's a shame, because it LOOKS SO GOOD.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:56 PM

Here's the V2 Ver Ka versus the old V:

Sucks to hear about the connectors. Have you tried using plastic cement? I'm pretty sure this F91 would explode like a grenade if I wasn't using plastic cement to keep it from falling apart.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:59 PM
Objection!

Nah, I don't really use glue. I rarely ever use it in general, so keeping it around is a bit of a waste since it'll dry up before the next time I need any.

I didn't really have any difficulties like that with either of my F91s, so if you are then you TOTALLY would have problems with the V.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:09 PM

No, not glue, plastic cement. It's not glue, and it won't dry up (though it will likely evaporate if you leave it uncapped). It's actually a chemical that temporarily melts plastic, allowing you to fuse plastic together. You can use it to fuse and eliminate seams as well (which I do occasionally, but mostly don't) like this video I'll post below, but I mostly use it as a clean and easy replacement for superglue on connectors.

Now, it will literally melt plastic, so you'll want to use it sparingly, and be careful not to drip it or splash it places you don't want it being (which isn't too hard to do), and you probably want to do this in a well ventilated place since it can't be the best stuff to be huffing. But I've begun using them on my kits to keep pegs and connectors firmly in place, and it's made a world of a difference. Kits that used to be kinda flimsy or have pieces fall off, are now sturdy and rock solid. It's also great because you can use it to do repair work on any broken pegs or pieces. There were a few pegs I snapped off on accident while transforming my MG ZZ, and a little bit of plastic cement and some time to let it curate and dry, and it's like it never happened. And that MG ZZ, which used to be a grenade, is now a friggin' tank. I mostly use the Tamiya Extra Thin stuff, but any liquid kind will do.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Objection!

I just really needed to build something tonight, so I went and built that Scopedog.

I misremembered, it was actually a Turbo Custom, not a Red Shoulder Custom, that it was that I had. It was an interesting little kit. Basically a SD Gundam grade, but slightly higher like Kotobukiya tends to be. Has some moving parts for the Arm Punch and roller skates abilities, and the red shoulder is... like, metallic? It was weird to work with, at least.

It also has a cute little Chirico Cuive that sits in the cockpit that I tried to paint, but mostly made a mess of.
Old 06-18-2016, 07:25 PM
Objection!

I'm away from home for the next couple of months on an important career course for my job, so of course I decided to spend some of the space in my car to bring a footlocker worth of model kits to try and get some time to build. Tonight, to help unwind from the first week, I went and build the HGBF Leopard Da Vinci.

I didn't have all the right paint colours with me (and my metallic orange dried out, so I just went back to the traditional metallic green), but I think it turned out pretty well none the less.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:57 AM
Not a Beer

For a moment I was wondering if that was some sort of extreme Heavyarms variant, but then I looked it up and it's actually a fairly subtle mod of something from Gundam X, huh. Maybe someday I'll watch that, but not 'til after I get around to Turn-A.

Anyway, looks good. Also I meant to say earlier that the SD Scopedog is ridiculously adorable.

I want to build some more models but instead our project this week was reupholstering a chair. Models are less painful (also I have no idea what I'm doing).
Old 06-20-2016, 11:56 PM

It kills me a little on the inside every time I see a Build Fighters kit, and it says 1/144 scale, instead of 1/1 scale on the box.

Wait, did you spray paint that Leopard, Umbaglo?
Old 06-22-2016, 02:39 AM
Objection!

Nah, I only Gundam Markered a few pieces to get the colours right.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Objection!

Another weekend, another model kit built. This time, the LBX Dot Blastriser G-Ext. Or, as I like to call it, the LBX Hyperion LO Booster.

Old 07-07-2016, 04:38 PM

Wow, that's wicked. I'm embarrassed that I've never heard of Danball Senki Wars. Is this something I should be looking into???

I finally finished my MG F91. I'm not happy with the kit, but it turned out OK I guess:

I adore the F91, it could really use a v2.0 or a ver Ka update badly. Some of the design choices with it are just beyond baffling.

Watched Build Fighters recently and got really into it, so I threw down money I probably shouldn't have and started making the kits for the Try Fighters. Started with the HG Lightning Gundam. It was a nice little diversion from the usual MGs I limit myself to. A very simple and clean kit.

It's pretty weird how the F91 is so small, that the MG kit of it is almost as small as your typical HG.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:18 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
Wow, that's wicked. I'm embarrassed that I've never heard of Danball Senki Wars. Is this something I should be looking into???
You should! But the series ended it's run a few years ago, so kits are getting harder and harder to find. It's a shame, because they're SO GOOD and have some really nice tech that Bamco should use for regular Gunpla.

Quote:
It's pretty weird how the F91 is so small, that the MG kit of it is almost as small as your typical HG.
Heh, on a similar note, please note that all of these kits are 1/100 scale.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:52 PM

I want an MG The O soooooo bad, but I'm not in a position in life where I can justify $150 on a single model kit. Even if that kit is amaaazing. I can only imagine how big the MG Perfect Zeong matches up against all of that.

A quick, cursory look, Danball kinda reminds me of Majin Bone in spirit, except better looking. Man, I wish Majin Bone was popular. It kills me they only made a half a dozen model kits for it. That show and its exosuits were so rad.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:42 AM

I picked up and finished the rest of the Try Fighters trio. I probably should have went with the regular Build Burning instead of the Try Burning, but I wanted all the upgraded kits. It's got a lot of detail and articulation for an HG but the build quality leaves a lot to be desired. The clear plastic fx parts are are often very loose and simply fall off, but gluing them down means you won't be able to sub them out for the fire effects on demand anymore. The polycap connecting the legs to the torso is also so loose that when you go to pick up the Burning Gundam, the legs sometimes simply don't come with it.

The Star Winning Gundam is, I assume, fairly representative of SD Gundams with not a lot of detail, very simplistic, horrible articulation, and copious amounts of stickers to make up for proper color separation in the parts. But man is it neat that this Gundam has a real mode to morph into. All of these kits would be super boss if they had full MGs of them, but I'm not holding out hope on that.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:40 AM
twinkling photon

Quote:
I want an MG The O soooooo bad, but I'm not in a position in life where I can justify $150 on a single model kit. Even if that kit is amaaazing. I can only imagine how big the MG Perfect Zeong matches up against all of that.
I know right? The MG The-O is supposed to be a feature-barren brick of a kit that barely adds anything from the HG, but part of me doesn't even care because

I've been working on the 1/100 Kimaris for the last few days. Lovely color scheme, virtually no stickers, and a $30 dollar price tag for what's basically an MG. Decided to spruce the inner frame up a bit.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:06 PM
Not a Beer

Wist - Hmm, I have the HG Kamiki Burning near the top of my unbuilt stack; guess I'll just cross my fingers that my effects parts hold on okay.

Zodar - already said so on twitter but I love that Kimaris frame. You added the gold as paint?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:19 PM

I'm looking at the manual and review for the Kamiki Burning at Dalong. And it looks like at the very least, the problematic shoulder effect part (on the underside of the shoulder pauldron that pokes out, which is by far the slipperiest piece on my kit) is exactly the same, and that shitty piece falls out if mouse breaths on it. And the hip joints are still the same too. Both of these and others aren't huge problems if you're willing to address them with glue (coating the connectors with glue to widen them and make them fit a little more snuggly, or straight up gluing them in place) but it's always annoying when you can't just simply snap build a functioning kit.

@Zodar: But bricks are my favorite Gundams!

Your Kimaris is looking good! I don't know why these aren't just labeled MGs, that's a full inner frame. And $30 used to be the price range that MGs played in when the concept first came about.
Old 07-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Not a Beer

Well, I'll find out soon I guess...
Old 07-18-2016, 09:12 PM

I kinda wish I'd gotten that Kamiki Burning instead. It's a nice looking robit.

Made a Mamagguy w/ Petit'GGuy. It was actually a very fun and satisfying build. Didn't realize the HG Acguy and its derivatives was such a good kit. It's also unexpectedly huge! I know Acguys are big and all, but I don't remember Beargguys looking this big compared to other mechs in the show. I tried panel lineing this one with gray paint this time around. I'm very pleased with the results.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:38 PM

Been on a tear lately. Finished my MG GX:

Besides the derpy hands, this is such a fresh kit. Great combination of colors, excellent engineering, fun build, unique design, and panel lines scribed in a way that made inking them super easy. The transparent purple pieces look soooooo good too. And superb articulation on the joints (elbows and knees do full 180 bends; hips and shoulders have full range of movement).

Also made the MG RX-78-2 The Origin Ver. Probably the best model kit I've built to date, and certainly the best version of the Granddaddy Gundam (short of getting a PG).

It ditches the core block, which gives this kit a lot of range of motion in the waist. It's got a lot of good detail to it without being over-decaled mess like the 3.0, and the colors are to die for. It also has this neat gimmick (which apparently a few other kits have, but I haven't yet encountered?) where every individual joint on the fingers are articulated. They're actually amazing.

And if I'm making an RX-78-2, I can't NOT do this pose:

Old 08-08-2016, 09:44 AM
Not a Beer

Nice. I've seen kits with *some* hand/finger articulation, but not that much.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:14 AM

That RX78 is sweet! I bought a HG Char Zaku II this week. 1/144. I put it together today along with a few NG models I had laying around. The NG Zaku's a real pain to put together. They look pretty silly too and their arms keep falling out of their socket. Maybe to imitate getting chopped up by a gundam like in the show? I'd like to paint them at some point, but for now they exist only to be displayed with my Char.

his mono eye could be more centered

Last edited by s p a c e f o l d; 08-22-2016 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 10:18 PM

Gifted myself a an HG Zaku I for my Bday!
Old 08-25-2016, 01:15 AM

Your Zakus look dope, spacefold! I'm pretty jelly, I've been playing with the idea of getting those old First Grades myself. But I'll hold off until I can afford to get myself some scribing and airbrush tools first.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:56 AM
Not a Beer

I wonder what those old ones would look like with just some good ol' Gundam Marker panel lining. Though... with the molds being so bare-bones, you might have to free-hand some which could be... difficult.

I really need to get back to my models, but between job-hunting and dealing with unemployment and health insurance, and then being sick for a week... ugh.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:10 AM

Default "It's only a model...."

Yeah I'm in a rough spot too. Gunpla is kind of therapeutic. I really want to paint them FGs. I have some acrylic paint laying around. I read it works if you thin out paint. initially I wanted the FGs as practice with assembly and paint before I got around to working on my HGs. I can't imagine how doing more complex FG mobile suit designs would be. Also there isn't much panel lining on the FG zakus and gouf. there's another FG zaku mold that looks more updated, so panel lining might go a lot farther.

There are gundam color markers too right? I have some FG GM's I'm putting together this weekend, the molds are all blue, I prefer the fantastical designs of zeon mobile suits though. I wish I had a better camera.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:42 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah, you can get Gundam Markers in all kinds of colors, I have a bunch. You can also get convenient packs that have a lot of the common Gundam colors in. Non-brand paint markers can also work in a pinch, though you'll always want to test on a sprue or something to see how they come out over a given plastic color. In this pic from the last page, everything not dark blue is a paint marker because SD kits aren't molded with very many separate parts:

Anyway, I finally got a chance to make a little new progress of my own:

Liking the modeling of this kit so far. It has plenty of mold colors, so the only touch-ups I've done to this point are black Gundam marker for the shoulder stripes (in place of thin black stickers it called for) and some yellow marker to darken up the yellow pieces a little. Not sure if I'll do any panel lines on this one; it's so many colors it doesn't need much, and since it's Build Fighters it's not really supposed to look like huge pieces of metal anyway.

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack