The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-03-2016, 06:43 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
Has anyone messed around with Metal Earth kits?

[...]

So, uh, any advice or tips about which tools to use would be greatly appreciated.
Ditto. I have a Hubble, a Millenium Falcon, and Poe's X-Wing, and I haven't even touched them because I dunno if I need specialized pliers or if I can do it with the stuff in my toolbox.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:45 PM
Spear of Justice

Still working on my TIE's first ion engine and I've already managed to break a piece. As someone with no model kit experience, fuuuuuuuck these things are difficult to put together. Bending some of these assembly tabs down correctly seems next to impossible.

I need some curved needle-point tweezers and a goddamn magnifying glass before I try this again.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:56 PM
twinkling photon

Wow, how did I never see this thread? I guess most of its posts are from before I got into gunpla.

I've put together many kits over the years, but I'm most proud of the SD Neo Zeong (w/ custom paintjob) I did in 2014, and the HG Ex-S Gundam I finished last night (!):

It's amazing what a difference a little Testors makes.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM
Not a Beer

The person I know on twitter who does those little metal kits finished an X-Wing:

Old 02-16-2016, 01:56 PM
Spear of Justice

I'd love to know what tools he used. Tweezers?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:05 PM
Not a Beer

She, and I'll ask...
Old 02-16-2016, 02:28 PM
Not a Beer

"needle nose pliers and mini wire cutters to remove the pieces from the sheets"

Old 02-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Spear of Justice

Hmm, same stuff I was using. Clearly I just need a lot of practice and patience.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:29 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
I did in 2014, and the HG Ex-S Gundam I finished last night (!)
Ex-S is so good. I built the MG a few years ago, and it's still one of the stars of my collection. (Got to start finding places to display a bunch of those)

Oh man, I should probably think about here for posting up pictures of my kits. Didn't realize there was a thread already! I still have a lot to build, and I've been slowly cranking away at them. I've been putting a few of them up on Twitter, like this "HG" Kamen Rider Faiz, or the MG Double X, or LBXes (I love those kits so much).
Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 AM
Not a Beer

That Double X is pretty nice. (I recommend not taking pics in front of the box art, though - it makes the background so busy that it's hard to pick out details at a glance.)
Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 PM
Objection!

Hm, probably. I like taking it with the box, though, because it gives some context.

I really need to get myself a better photo backdrop, anyway.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:33 PM
Not a Beer

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to see the cool box art too! Maybe side-by-side?
Old 02-22-2016, 05:33 PM
Breath of Fur

I built an LBX too! I'm glad someone else here digs these little guys too, I'll definitely need to make another some day.

And learn to paint. Those wraparound stickers suck.
Old 02-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Objection!

Yeah, I started getting and using Gundam Markers instead of stickers, because stickers are just bad. Though I still use stickers when it's a really complex design on them, like the core box piece on an LBX (the little flat piece that goes inside the center torso). There's a few colours I need to get of Gundam Markers still, and the LBX line of markers (which I got through HLJ, but they've been out of stock for nearly a year now...) are all metallic, which is super rad.

Also, the Odin M is such a great little kit, and a great one to start with.
Old 02-22-2016, 06:51 PM
Breath of Fur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Yeah, I started getting and using Gundam Markers instead of stickers, because stickers are just bad. Though I still use stickers when it's a really complex design on them, like the core box piece on an LBX (the little flat piece that goes inside the center torso). There's a few colours I need to get of Gundam Markers still, and the LBX line of markers (which I got through HLJ, but they've been out of stock for nearly a year now...) are all metallic, which is super rad.

Also, the Odin M is such a great little kit, and a great one to start with.
Ha, glad I picked a good one. I started with it mostly because of my variable fighter fetish. I might try and find a Fenrir or that Icarus/Ikaros one that turns into a bigass sword later on if I don't veer back to Gundam. Or D Style. I have like all the GaoGaiGar SD kits but I don't think they did a Volfogg to round them off.

I'm not counting Mic Sounders.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:20 AM
twinkling photon

Do LBX's/Danball Senkis have an American distributor yet? I've pretty much strip-mined Gundam for designs I'm fond of that don't cost $100USD (Nightengale...), and it seems like LBX have a nice blend of SD proportions with HG-level color separation and detail.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Oh so a friend gifted me one of those Gundam model things.

What do I need at minimum to put it together?

an exacto knife? maybe those pens to outline it? I've got no idea.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:53 AM
twinkling photon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falselogic View Post
Oh so a friend gifted me one of those Gundam model things.

What do I need at minimum to put it together?

an exacto knife? maybe those pens to outline it? I've got no idea.

-A pair of wire or jewelry cutters to cut pieces off the runners. When you cut, don't try to cut flush to the piece; leave a little bit of excess plastic, or flash, that you can shave off with your exacto knife. Cutting too close to the piece can torque the plastic, and leave an unsightly white mark!
-An exacto knife to trim flash off pieces. Cut with the blade flush against the piece, and apply gentle pressure to the back of the blade with your thumb. Be careful not to angle the blade towards the piece, because you might wind up cutting a chunk out of it!
-Your fingernail! If there's any discoloration left when you've cut away the flash, you can get rid of some of it by pressing the edge of your thumbnail into the plastic.
-A Gundam panel-lining pen -- brand-name, or any appropriately-thin pen (.005 Pigma Micron, for example) will do. Grey works better on lighter-colored plastic than black. When you panel line crevices, you can also wipe away the excess with your thumb (or wipe away mistakes).
-Optional: some Gundam-brand Gundam markers, or Testors enamel paint, to do little details, metallic bits, etc. Makes a world of difference!
Old 03-05-2016, 02:18 PM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Do LBX's/Danball Senkis have an American distributor yet? I've pretty much strip-mined Gundam for designs I'm fond of that don't cost $100USD (Nightengale...), and it seems like LBX have a nice blend of SD proportions with HG-level color separation and detail.
I get mine from Hobby Link Japan, but people in the US can also find localized LBX kits at Toys R Us. Sadly Canadian TRUs don't stock them.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:59 PM
Objection!

When I was at my parents' place for Easter, I found a local hobby shop that had a decent gunpla selection, though the prices were ridiculous compared to just ordering from HLJ. Which makes me sad, because I'd normally like to support local businesses, but not when they're offering the product for 3 to 4 times the price, even if I factor in shipping costs.

In any case, I picked up a SD Build Burning Gundam and a SD Lightning Gundam to go with my HGBF Star Winning Gundam. As well, they also had a really old 1/100 no grade F90V, which even if it was more expensive then that grade normally is, is rare enough that I was fine with spending the amount. I'll build that one later.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:20 AM

I dove into Gunpla for the first time really had a few months ago. I've been taking a break lately because I kinda burned out and wore my fingers down pretty hard, and I also kinda go through cyclical phases w/ my hobbies anyways, but I think I'm ready to jump back in. This is all I've managed to do so far:

I've somewhat ignored most of the decal work on these kits above, because they frankly look pretty damned good w/o 'em most of the time, and they look a lot more like they look in the show/films w/o 'em too. Current project is the MG Mk II v2. I'm beginning to try out the whole paint/lighter fluid method of doing panel lining and I'm really liking the results.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Not a Beer

Nice line-up! (Both Wysteria's and Umbaglo's from a while back.)

I should really build some of mine, but I feel like I shouldn't dive into projects while I'm supposed to be job-searching. :/
Old 05-05-2016, 04:06 PM
Not a Beer

So Conni and I were in Barnes & Nobel today... did you know they're carrying Gunpla there now? Turns out they're carrying gunpla. Whoops, now we have an even bigger backlog of Gunpla to build. -_-

In light of this, Conni's selling a few Seed and Destiny kits that she doesn't think she'll ever get to. Post with details here. There's an Aegis, a Blaze Zaku Phantom (both 1/100), and Duel Gundam Assault Shroud (HG), priced a little under what seems to be their going rates on eBay.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:50 PM
Objection!

I can attest that that line of 1/100s was actually pretty good. I have a bunch of them, including the normal Blaze/Gunner ZAKU Warrior combo pack.
Old 05-11-2016, 05:45 AM
Tiger, Tiger, muddy dark

This isn't a giant robot, but for Mother's Day I bought a Revell 1:196 kit of the USS Constitution and promised to build it for mom. It's been many years since I've done model kit work and the box says this is one of Revell's harder ones, including plastic sails and thread for rigging ropes. It looks like it's going to take a while...
Old 05-11-2016, 12:14 PM
Not a Beer

Good luck! Non-giant-robot kits are perfectly welcome in the model thread, post some pics when you're done. And good luck with the fiddly bits. One of my backlog kits I'm saving for when I have more experience/time to do it justice is a Patlabor Ingram complete with wires and other fancy shit.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 AM
Not a Beer

So it turns out that bad news for me is good news for this thread - I kinda botched a phone interview I really wanted to ace, and was so mad at myself that I had to get off the computer and do something with my hands as makeshift therapy, so hey, models! Did feel like dealing with older kits so I pulled a couple relatively new ones off my backlog pile:

I decided to start with Wild Tiger. A big advantage of this kit is that it's almost all in black, white, and clear colors, and the suit itself in the show is supposed to look shiny, smooth, and kind of plastic-y, so it really wouldn't even benefit from paint at all. It hardly even has panel lines. It does, however, have a ton of fiddly little stickers for metallic-lime-green detail lines, and this is where I decided to make life extremely hard for myself.

A lot of the stickers are tiny and separate, but some for sets of lines came in connected rows with black in between, which would be much easier to apply. But then you'd cover up some model detail, plus the black sticker doesn't look as good as the black plastic, so I decided to be clever and x-acto out just the green bits and apply them separately. OH MY GOD this was a pain in the ass. But it basically worked:

Anyway, sticker insanity aside, it was a pretty straightforward build with some neat parts, and dude comes out awesomely posable. Another nice thing about this kit is the plastic was so nice that I barely had to trim any sprue off the parts at all - if there even was any it usually scraped off with a fingernail. Though the silver parts do show a little discoloration. But all in all very nice.

There's also like 3 other hand types that I didn't put on, though no other accessories - it connects with some standard Bandai stand that's sold separately, so you gotta shell out for that if you wanna pose jump-kicks or anything. He stands unsupported reasonably well for a lanky figure, though.

Meanwhile I just cracked open the SD Strike Freedome, and this cheap little kit is a polar opposite in terms of mold detail. The number of parts is really low, which means most things have bits that aren't colored right. There are stickers, but they look awful covering large areas, so I'm breaking out the paints. Just got started at the end of the night, but here's the dark blue plate with *most* of the colors it should have added via paint marker. Will do panel lining later probably.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:51 PM
Not a Beer

Update:

Pretty much used paint for everything on this one except for the eyes. My painting hand is not the steadiest, but eh. Chibi Strike Freedom says pewpewpew!
Old 06-06-2016, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
So Conni and I were in Barnes & Nobel today... did you know they're carrying Gunpla there now? Turns out they're carrying gunpla. Whoops, now we have an even bigger backlog of Gunpla to build. -_-
One of my favorite things on the internet in the past few years, has actually been looking at B&N display case disasters when it comes to Gunpla. The kits they display are always poorly assembled (nubs sticking out everywhere, no panel lining, stickers peeling), and even more poorly arranged. Like, the unflattering poses in some of these B&N display cases are embarassing to the point where it's like "how is is this supposed to make people want to buy Gunpla?" because of how uncool they look. Here's the display at my local B&N from a few months ago:

I've come very close to dropping big dollars at B&N a number of times on Gunpla, but their selection is very limited, and everything is usually very overpriced. And as much as I'd like to be able to support an initiative like this, I'm a little too poor to be paying 25-50% markups.

Kirin, I'm very jelly of that Tiger kit. If I didn't already have an untennable backlog and swore off buying more kits before I finished them, next purchase of mine would be a Wild Tiger, a Barnaby, and their motorcycle.

Finally finished my MG Mk II v2 after sitting on it half-complete for months. It's a very nice kit. The articulation is top notch, and the separation of the moving components in the legs are super neat.

My long term goal is to get a complete ZZ Gundam Team going. Next up though is the MG F91, and maaaaan is this kit a pain in the ass.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:56 AM
Not a Beer

Heh, yeah, that B&N display could definitely use some more dynamic posing, but honestly? I'm betting a lot of casual US buyers would feel cheated if they had gorgeous painted-and-lined kits on display and then that's not what a build looked like out of the box. Unless you're coming from, like, the military modeling scene, you won't know that kind of work is expected, and I bet most of the audience here is more casual anime fans.

I don't think our B&N even had a display case up, but the prices didn't seem too bad. They may have dropped some on the kits that weren't super new. I've certainly seen both worse and better mark-ups at, say, convention booths, depending on what deals you find, so they didn't seem too out of line. Kit prices do seem to vary a lot more from vendor to vendor than something like Figmas (ugh, so pricey these days), though.

Anyway, MkII looking good!

Tags
gunpla , gunpla is freedom , model building , plastic-crack