The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 04-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Safe Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Hm. Tell me more.
Well, all you do is that you place a layer of tortilla chips in place of your noodles. Just try to fit them together as best you can and break them if necessary.

I actually prefer the chips to noodles since it's faster to prepare and less glutenous.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:32 PM
We Hardly Knew Ye

The cheesecake I made yesterday just cracked into a thousand pieces. It was supposed to be the first cake I was getting paid full price for my work. With only two hours before it's supposed to be delivered, there is absolutely nothing I can do. There's no contingency plan, nothing in reserve. I've made dozens of these for fun, pro bono, and for cost. WHY NOW.*

The client is a close friend that will, at worst, probably just be really bummed out, but that doesn't make me feel any better.

edit: Ok. I have an idea to maybe salvage it. Hopefully I have enough time.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:45 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posaune View Post
Everything is always too oily!

I mean, just be more careful about how much oil I use, but..
I'm always afraid to use oil or butter when I cook because it's so bad for me. I get a lot of foods stuck to skillets foreverially.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 AM
I. Love. It.

Blaaaaaaah, I tried to make those awesome Honey Roasted Chipotle Almonds last night (mentioned in another thread) but something went wrong. The almonst must have still been too hot out of the oven when I went to add the sugar/chipotle mixture, instead of coating all the nuts evenly it's like the sugar melted or caramelized a bit and stuck together in clumps. They're not NEARLY as awesome as they should be.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 PM
This way up

So if you don't cook rosemary long enough, the raw taste of it is actually slightly sour and overpowering. It doesn't take long, but apparently you can't just chuck in with your fried egg and cook it for two minutes.
(A double-yolked egg, though. That was pretty nifty.)
Old 05-31-2013, 10:08 AM
Dinger!

Man, I should have bought more asparagus for this soup. The flavour profile is right, it's just too watery.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM
REVOLUTION GRRR STYLE NOW

I was clearly too tired to make these red velvet cupcakes for Mr. LRLR's birthday weekend, since I put them in the oven and then realized I forgot to add the egg to the batter. WHOOPS

luckily we had some braunschweiger on hand to console me
Old 06-24-2013, 12:06 PM
For blood and gold

I wanted to make matzah brei / fried matzah for my family on Saturday morning. While the savory portion I made turned out probably the best I'd ever done it, the sweet portion (which was for my wife since she doesn't eat meat) turned out kind of sucky due to lack of eggs.
Old 06-25-2013, 01:21 PM
kill

Stupid hashbrowns always stick to the pan. According to the internet, I need to dry them out first
Old 06-27-2013, 05:06 PM
This way up

I made my sugar/ice cream/ginger/allspice/cinnamon/milk/rice pudding today, which is enjoyed by no one upon earth but myself as far as I know, but which I find pleasantly stodgy.

Today, however, I tried adding egg to my trusted combo, and that was something of a disaster. Lumps of egg everywhere. And it would stick, too. Not nice at all.
Old 06-28-2013, 12:49 PM
Is there not one thing

You can't just add eggs to a pudding. You have to make a custard with them
Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 AM
We just don't know.

I tossed together a spinach/tomato/mozzarella/basil/parsley salad with olive oil and balsamic but it was kinda nasty. Womp womp :c
Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM
This way up

I like the story about Alfred Bird creating eggless custard powder to make his wife custards. I like the little red and yellow tins. I like that it only takes ten minutes to put together. I like the flavour contrast with fruit desserts. But I do wish the end product wasn't so reminiscent of phlegm.

(Of course, my homemade custards have just the right consistency from my POV, but they also take an hour to make.)
Old 07-12-2013, 07:26 AM
We just don't know.

I had my first experience using chickpeas that I soaked from dry. I recreated a recipe that worked great the first time (chickpea salsa, with sliced cherry tomatoes and mint and coriander (the plant not the seed what's it caaaaalllllled) and red wine vinegar and olive oil)... but the chickpeas felt underdone. Kinda hard. Not very pleasant. I will cook the rest thoroughly before eating. Wonder if I can still make hummus with the others (Soaked a lot, got some in the fridge).
Old 07-12-2013, 08:21 AM

Coriander is the seeds of the cilantro plant.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:41 AM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by upupdowndown View Post
Unless you are in the UK. In which case, the leaves and stalks of the plant are coriander and the seeds are coriander seeds. In the US, the leaves and stalks are cilantro while the seeds are coriander.

(In India it is known as dhania)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:11 AM

I have to say, I approve of them having different names for the herb and the seed, because their tastes are wildly different.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:12 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
I have to say, I approve of them having different names for the herb and the seed, because their tastes are wildly different.
Them? Did you move to the UK when I wasn't looking?
Old 07-12-2013, 07:28 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Yeah, "Cilantro!" came to me when I woke up this morning.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Dinger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
Unless you are in the UK. In which case, the leaves and stalks of the plant are coriander and the seeds are coriander seeds. In the US, the leaves and stalks are cilantro while the seeds are coriander.

(In India it is known as dhania)
And, as in many things with UK/US differences, Canadians go both ways.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:09 PM
This way up

I tried baking these weird bumpy yellow squash I found at the farmer's market in my oven. They tasted of very little. I got them for cheap so that was all right, but yeah, surprisingly unmemorable for fresh veg.

(obviously I should have roasted them instead, yes.)
Old 09-23-2013, 08:44 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost from Spelunker
I got this Starbucks Cake Pops kit as a gift. So the only way I can enjoy this is to get my own egg and oil AND I have to bake it myself and get a bunch of dishes dirty. I can't tell if I'm being ungrateful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
They are not. You get cake goop all over your hands and the frosting is a bitch to work with and thank god they are delicious because otherwise the whole ordeal would just make you hate cake.
I finished that recipe and I'm afraid the cake pops of this brand are nowhere near delicious. The cake started out tasty, but then adding their butter vanilla frosting turned it into sugary plastic. And then the melted white confection drops for frosting added a second layer of plastic flavoring for a full plastization.

And it only took several hours to make because I had to keep putting things in the refrigerator for them to harden the sticks, but the sticks can't support the cake pops in any way (but I will admit it always takes a long time the first time you do any alien recipes).
AND it got a ton of dishes dirty.
AND it only made 12 cake pops the size of golf balls
WHEN I could have been baking anything else (Like an entire plastic-free cake)

But the good news is now that this is out of my pantry I can make cupcakes like I wanted.

The only positive thing I can say is that I did get a laugh at the instructions to melt the confection drops in 20 second intervals in the microwave. Could you imagine actually following that?
*Microwaves for 20 seconds
*Opens microwave door
*Grabs potholder
*Checks edible plastic byproduct with a spoon
*Puts back in microwave and closes door
*Plastic has cooled down back to original temperature...
Old 10-02-2013, 06:21 AM
Sudden chomper

Maybe you just have a weak microwave? Mine's about 1200 Watts, and putting something in for 20 seconds gives very noticeable results. Unless it's a really large quantity, but I'm assuming it doesn't take that much industrial plastic to coat 12 cake pops.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Dinger!

Fucked up the fried rice I was making. Put too much liquid in, so it's all sludgey and accidentally put Worcestershire sauce in because I thought it was soy sauce.
Old 10-26-2013, 06:59 PM
For blood and gold

Think I used too much rosemary in the potato leak soup. It's gonna taste like soap.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I. Love. It.

I made delicious enchiladas last night. However I think I undercooked the meat and I've felt shitty ever since, so I'm probably just gonna have to toss the leftovers.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:51 PM
actually an eevee

I tried making pumpkin bread yesterday, but I didn't have any bread pans. "no problem", sez I, "I'll just put it in this square cake pan."

"OH HO HO" sez my oven, "but that was your biggest misCAKE."

turns out the bread pan was because you cannot model pumpkin bread as a thermodynamic "lumped" mass when its radius exceeds 1.5".

So what I had was a lovely square of soggy pumpkin batter with lovely crust, surrounded by a square ring of delicious pumpkin bread, with a lovely crust.

This evening, I extricated the central fail zone and noting that the bottom was pretty moist still, thought "well, what if I heated it on the skillet. that should make the bottom nice and crusty, and hey, who knows, maybe that heat will travel up!"

which wasn't a bad theory, but again, you cannot treat a mass of pumpkin batter greater than 1.5" in radius as a lump. the temperature inside varies as a function of time.

but at least before the bottom crust blackened, it was nice and caramelized! And the center was a little warm!

So my last ditch effort, may the culinary gods have mercy on my soul, is in the microwave, using my grandma's microwave cookbook from 198X that came with her unit which broke down two years ago.

We'll see who wins this one, pumpkin bread!

Last edited by Lady; 11-04-2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: HAHAHA it was the pumpkin bread
Old 11-04-2013, 08:46 PM
This way up

If it makes you feel any better, this post has brought a strangely unexpected joy into my day.

I'm slightly irritated because I heavily peppered a soup that I added Marmite to and then licked the spoon. Which is a good thing to do to a Marmite-covered spoon, but bad when the pepper sticks to it.
(hopefully the soup comes out well, though)
Old 03-02-2014, 09:37 AM
actually an eevee

turns out that yes, if you are using recipe that calls for a odd number of eggs, you *do* need to divide that egg when halving.

blah
Old 03-16-2014, 04:42 AM
HERE IS ME AND MY FRIEND

So, accidentally ordering flat cut corned beef instead of flank cut beef. Don't have access to an oven. Crass mess into slow cooker. Slow cooker too small. Try to salvage corned beef/3 pounds of meat. Stupidly try to pan-sear it instead of boiling it. Results still edible, but was less like corned beef and more like greasier, saltier london broil.

Tags
a whiner is you