The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about creating

Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
Lucky In Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
lights
heavy cartoon lines kind of kill any chance of something feeling lit, maybe some thinner line variation on the lit edge of the character.

Also while I think comics illustrated to the above level would be so wonderful I could actually maybe get into the medium, I think there's a good reason why they aren't. That's a looot of work, but myself and others will certainly be cheering you on even if it's just a one or two page story. It would be delightful to know what your characters do for a living.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:27 PM
twinkling photon

the line thing is very true! i did the linework before i started coloring it, i was planning on doing a flat 2-tone piece when i began. gonna use much thinner lines in the comic proper (in addition to drawing in a much larger resolution)

also: retouched the rocks n' spires in the first panel to look more like the ones from the '09 attempt.

thinking of starting over and limiting myself to 2-4 solid colors per panel. wanna avoid burning myself out on 1/5 of the page. it's a bad habit, i've got rough-draft layouts for future pages that i've spent hours on.
Old 02-10-2012, 11:02 AM
Not a Beer

I wonder how weird it would look to have one full-color panel, followed by a few pages of four-color only? Allow yourself another painting every few pages. I dunno, might be too jarring, but maybe it would work. Published manga gets away with throwing in a few incongruous color pages whenever it happens to be the anthology's cover feature...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM
twinkling photon

Old 05-09-2012, 11:57 PM
you work for ME now

I don't know why, but this guy reminds me of the Curry and Rice monster from Gunstar Heroes,
I like the transparency effect, and the attention to detail on his inner workings.

Diggin' this thread in general, really.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
twinkling photon

MONSTERS

These were sitting in my sketchpad for about a month, and the first page was getting smudged into oblivion. I inked the ones that were scraggled beyond repair. Had to erase the names in the process, though.
DIRE RAT - RAT KING - BULLWARK - KATAMARTIN - GAZELE
CAVE APE - MANTICORE - TROLL - CATOBLEPAS
TATZELWURM - WARGI - BUNYIP - HENRY
DIRE BAT - BORE
SLOTH BEAR (AND CUB) - UMBERCAT - USALUNA - WOPLETINGER

Experimented with varying line width and shading in STUNG on the second page. Coincidentally, it's the only thing from that page that looked half-decent off the scanner bed. Losing my laptop (and fixing my scanner) has renewed my interest in traditional media!!

I've been drawing a lot more lately, but most of said art has no place on a family-friendly board. I'll see if I can dig up some more (worksafe) stuff later!!
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM
EARTH FOREVER

ZODRAW THE RETURN capsban
Old 08-06-2012, 03:55 PM

I am totally enamored with that canine crabmoose and the black thing under the marine pachyderm.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:20 PM
Shares?

Those are awesome. I really like Anteus though...

Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
I've been drawing a lot more lately, but most of said art has no place on a family-friendly board. I'll see if I can dig up some more (worksafe) stuff later!!
Just for the record, I think it's been well established that NSFW art (especially behind a link) in the creator threads is fine, if there's anything you actually want to share.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 AM
le petite mort

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Just for the record, I think it's been well established that NSFW art (especially behind a link) in the creator threads is fine, if there's anything you actually want to share.
Yes, absolutely. A link with a warning is totally fine.

Also, always a fan of your artwork, Zodar. You've got quite the talent for whimsy.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM
twinkling photon

Thank you all for da support! I'll upload some tits or something later to show my appreciation

Also I actually de-assed myself long enough to finish a page (not one panel, or two, or 2.5, but all of them!!) of a comic. It's gonna be about giant robots
Old 08-13-2012, 05:19 PM
borgn

Not a bad start. I don't know if you're doing this for something and are unwilling to do a redraw, but if I were doing it I'd break the page in half and make each half into its own separate page. The action in panels 7-10 seem a bit cramped. Panel 5 is a good tension panel, if you're making this for a webcomic, and breaking off from that point to a new page would let the artwork really breathe.

Since it seems like you're aiming for grandiose vistas, having a lot more negative space will help. Panels 6 and 9 suffer the most from feeling cramped. It might not be a bad idea to look up some images of cracked rock to get a better idea of how the cracks move across the surface when it breaks.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:33 PM
twinkling photon

Future pages are gonna have fewer, larger panels, yeah. Maybe 5-6. I'm working with tiny tiny paper because I've got a tiny tiny scanner bed, so I gotta make those 8x10 inches siiiiing
Old 08-13-2012, 05:39 PM
borgn

Quote:
Future pages are gonna have fewer, larger panels, yeah. Maybe 5-6. I'm working with tiny tiny paper because I've got a tiny tiny scanner bed, so I gotta make those 8x10 inches siiiiing
Man, that's not even a thing. Use 11x17" paper and scan them as multiple parts. It's not the most fun thing to put them back together in PS but it looks so much better as a finished page and is easier to eventually format for print.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:14 PM
actually an eevee

hey bro i heard you were lookin for some ... 11"x17". I can get you some of the good stuff cheap, totally off the record. lemme know if you're in.
seriously I had to buy a ream for one stupid CAD class.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
twinkling photon

S'alright, there's a nice art supply store downtown (which I need to visit-- these pigmas are already starting to dry out). Thanks for the offer, though!

Gonna heed Wolfgang's advice: draft the basic structure of the page on a sheet significantly larger than the scanner bed, then draw the panels on their own sheets and scan them in sections. It'll give me more space for ~sweepin visters~ and make the crosshatching look less ratty!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:13 AM
Not a Beer

Giant Robot BUNNY! Cool. I like it, but a couple nitpicks:

I initially had trouble parsing the bottom of the bunny's head in panel 3. Maybe angle it down more?

I didn't even notice the gap between the diagonal panels 7/8 at first, making me think for some reason the rock column had eyes and was distressed about breaking. Didn't help that the protag's eyes in close-up look very different from at a distance (though I understand simplification is inevitable). Actually I'm still not sure what's going on with the extra bit beside one eye.

Everything else seemed pretty clear. I really like the opening panel!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I remember playing that game!
Old 08-14-2012, 03:42 PM
borgn

Quote:
Gonna heed Wolfgang's advice: draft the basic structure of the page on a sheet significantly larger than the scanner bed, then draw the panels on their own sheets and scan them in sections. It'll give me more space for ~sweepin visters~ and make the crosshatching look less ratty!
That's a good solution, too - I did that for a comic book I made with a friend a few years back, except I drew the panels individually and imported them into a comic layout program. I would recommend at least trying out a full-page scan or two just to get the hang of how to do it, so you don't avoid making splash pages.

Things I really like: You're good at showing things like volume and depth, which are important - the art isn't flat. I also like the way you drew the dust cloud in the first panel (I might steal that sometime...).
Old 08-17-2012, 02:05 PM
twinkling photon

Still worken on Page 2. In the meantime, here's a (belated) birday card I drew for a good friend:
Old 08-21-2012, 07:41 AM
We just don't know.

The best birthday card!

Maybe my eyes are just going bad in my old age, but my recommendation for Impakto page 1 would be to differentiate the pencil shading on textures a bit more. Almost everything is filled in with a very similar line density and it kind of bleeds together, especially in panels 3 and 4, makes it hard to pick out detail. It took me a few panels to realize that there was a rider on the rabbot - they'd just blended together at first, I thought he was an extension of Peanut itself.

But! I'm really intrigued already - a jumping riding rabbot, searching for something at the bottom of a really deep ravine, interesting design for the human(oid?) rider - it's a good cold open and leaves me looking for more.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:24 PM
twinkling photon

A week of +90º heat, no AC and general laziness slowed me down a bit, but I'm gettin back on track. Here's the first panel of page 2:

I'm happy with the basic layout, but I think it came out too busy with the cliff walls, flailing rabbit and onomatopoeias. Gotta stop filling every inch of every panel and conquer my fear of negative space!!

I've also been eyeing Boulet's art for references on how to hatch/crosshatch without overwhelming the frame, as well as this gorgeous lil' french copy of The Owl and the Pussycat with art by Barbara Cooney
Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Not a Beer

Yeah, your rock textures are cool, but they do have a bit of a tendency to back you into a corner in terms of differentiating everything in a strictly B&W context. If you were doing color washes or something, you could totally get away with it.

I gotta say, though, I continue to adore your smoke and dust trail effects. Great sense of energy in these.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:12 PM
actually an eevee

Not only does the hatching on the cliff walls drown out the side panels, but the way the walls are shaped also works with panels to create a cool, but ultimately unhelpful vignette effect, which draws even more attention away from them and towards the center
Old 08-23-2012, 02:01 PM
twinkling photon

And the rest of Page 2:

This sequence went out of my comfort zone a ways, and there's a lot about the last 3 panels that I'm not happy with-- inconsistent shading, unclear action, etc. Still, every page is a learning experience!

Gonna get some black paper and whet my xacto knife so I can do solid dark tones. I was hoping to do so for the background of the last panel, but it would have been a jarring transition from the rest of the page... so it just looks kinda empty.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:54 PM
EARTH FOREVER

Oh no rabbitbot
Old 08-25-2012, 07:18 PM
twinkling photon

Got so fucking exasperated trying to find the proportions that worked for this robot that I wound up tracing a piece of Street Fighter art. Feelin nasty for doing so, but at least I have a design that resembles what I was imagining on paper.

Turns out I was squishing the torso too much, and sticking too close to the megaman/gundam Huge Robot Leg Paradigm. The Impakto Mk.I is supposed to be a stocky brawler/grappler, and now it looks the part! Hoping to come up with a design that draws more from stag beetles/VW beetles before this guy appears in the comic proper.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Lucky In Love

Love that guy, can't wait to see further iterations. I don't care about tracing, especially in a preliminary piece. Don't feel guilty about using outside resources to achieve what you imagine either. It's the mature approach. Expecting everything to spring from the imagination fully formed is not.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM
twinkling photon

I've got no qualms using photos and such as references, I just felt a little off about using a heavily stylized piece by another artist. But hey, it helped me figure out what I was goin for!

Tags
art , best of talking time , impakto , tt art thread , tyrant art thread