The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 05-15-2011, 12:45 PM

Default Rice

How is there not a rice thread yet? A lot of people eat rice.

A lot!

And there are a lot of varieties of rice.

A lot!

. . . . .

I am currently in need of some rice advice.

I would like a sauce of some sort to put over mixed brown/wild rices. Requirement: not spicy. Not even a little bit.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:17 PM
King Of Space-Time

I hear tale of this wonderous sauce, black as sin, yet refined as wine. I believe the ancients called it...

Soy.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM

Was hoping for something thicker than that. Also because I'm not a soy sauce fan.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:36 PM
Sorry, I have no tea

I've been putting this over my vegetables and rice lately:

⅓ cup Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Sesame Seed Oil
½ tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 clove minced Garlic
2 teaspoons White Sugar
1 tablespoon Corn Starch
Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 PM
King Of Space-Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post
Was hoping for something thicker than that. Also because I'm not a soy sauce fan.
Well there's always Bulldog Sauce, aka Tonkatsu sauce. It's like A-1 except milder and fruity.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:13 PM
gatchapon 3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunix View Post

I would like a sauce of some sort to put over mixed brown/wild rices.
Ooh, ooh! i have the perfect...

Quote:
{ Requirement: not spicy. Not even a little bit.
oh. never mind.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Ooh, ooh! i have the perfect...

oh. never mind.
That's exactly why I made that requirement. ;D I've tried several Indian sauces and curry-type mixes and while the flavours are good, the heat is unbearable. Even jars professing to be "mild" are lying liars that seek only to inflict pain upon me.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:35 PM
punch a fish, make a wish

I literally can't remember the last time I ate rice without putting something spicy on it. what a fanciful idea!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:38 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

This thread, as it has played out so far, should be called "Being a pussy".

I eat rice every day. I've had some good Vietnamese broken rice at restaurants, but I can never find the good stuff myself, so I stick with the all-time unbeatable and slightly more expensive classic, Thai jasmine rice. The most basic rice meal I've been cooking lately involves a small handful of raw peanuts fried up in oil until browned, and a little bundle of enoki mushrooms fried up with garlic (sometimes chopped and sometimes whole bulbs with the skin on), a splash of good fish sauce, some rice vinegar, and a little bit of sliced Thai chili pepper. I put that stuff over a bowl of rice, and then lay a sunny-side-up egg on top. Occasionally I also fry up some little dried fish and sprinkle those on top for deeper flavor and added crunch. Tasty, fast, packed with protein.

Alternately, sometimes I substitute rau mồng tơi, apparently also known as Malabar spinach, for the enoki. You have probably never had this vegetable, and that's a shame, because it's the best vegetable.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 PM
We just don't know.

That sounds delicious.

Here in Japan, they eat their rice plain.

Sometimes, rarely, they'll mix in some beans or bamboo shoots or something. Sometimes you can put shredded fish or a shaker of assorted salt/seaweed/sesame seeds/etc. on it.

But the vast majority of the time it's just plain.

And there's a big fucking bowl of it.

I don't like it.

Had a mutton biryani for lunch yesterday. Now that... that, I liked.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 PM
gatchapon 3*

plain rice, to a north indian, is short hand for being too poor to afford actual food. Plain rice, to a south indian, is a utensil.

In short, i wouldn't know what to do with plain rice, except to find things to eat with it, like dal. in japan, i found that i could eat tons of plain rice as long as i had some of those sexy sexy japanese pickles to go with it.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:29 PM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Plain rice can be delicious on its own or with very minimal accompaniment, but it has to be really good rice. I don't fuck with that Riceland garbage. The jasmine rice that's sold in giant sacks at Asian markets is much better, and also much cheaper if you tend to go through rice at a decent pace.

Well-prepared basmati rice is also great, but I've never successfully made it at home.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:20 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
in japan, i found that i could eat tons of plain rice as long as i had some of those sexy sexy japanese pickles to go with it.
YES.

Although I prefer kimchi, either that or Japanese pickles are a simple step to turn place rice into what feels like a meal.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:37 AM
:O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Brand View Post
Plain rice can be delicious on its own or with very minimal accompaniment, but it has to be really good rice. I don't fuck with that Riceland garbage. The jasmine rice that's sold in giant sacks at Asian markets is much better, and also much cheaper if you tend to go through rice at a decent pace.

Well-prepared basmati rice is also great, but I've never successfully made it at home.
They sell Jasmine rice pretty much everywhere. I bought it at Sam's Club.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:46 AM
Are You Sure About That?

Try some regular salad dressings? Actually being pretty serious here, so long as you don't drown the rice in it. A teaspoon, maybe two, of your favorite dressing mixed and stirred in a serving of rice can be pretty tasty, actually.

During my poor college student period I found that was a pretty decent substitute for breakfast/occasional dinner since I'm lactose intolerant and I can't eat instant ramen day after day. Or pizza, natch.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:59 AM
We just don't know.

To be fair if there was one kind of rice I had to eat plain, it would totally be Japanese rice. And as it turns out, I DO have to, because I get it in school lunch three times a week. Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
Try some regular salad dressings? Actually being pretty serious here, so long as you don't drown the rice in it. A teaspoon, maybe two, of your favorite dressing mixed and stirred in a serving of rice can be pretty tasty, actually.
Made me think of this:
Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 AM
borgn

Nori and finely ground potato chips.

You think I'm joking.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 AM
the :motion: stands

Rice makes you fat.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Take Lots With Alcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post

During my poor college student period I found that was a pretty decent substitute for breakfast/occasional dinner since I'm lactose intolerant and I can't eat instant ramen day after day. Or pizza, natch.
I do this!

My main meal is rice, some mixed veggies, and pork/chicken cooked with mesquite spice.
I usually use sundried tomato and oregano salad sauce for flavour.
I used to crumble feta in with it, but that's too expensive these days.
It's actually really good and dead simple. I've been eating it for years, so I sometimes get really sick of having it, but if it's been a few days it's still tasty.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:01 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Rice makes you fat.
Tell that to an awful lot of really skinny Japanese dudes.

Relatedly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
Nori and finely ground potato chips.
You think I'm joking.
A little seaweed and a little seasoning go a long way on some nice rice, so I'm not surprised. I miss fresh onigiri. Hell, even convenience store onigiri is pretty damn tasty.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Or instead of cooking the rice in water you can cook it in veggie, chicken, beef, etc... broth! That subtly flavors the rice and then you don't have to add anything to it...

You could make a sauce using canned tomatoes and lentils, season it however you want... The lentils will melt into this delicious sauce...
Old 05-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Don't Stop Believin'

Last week I made some chana masala (chickpeas in a spiced tomato sauce) with some jasmine rice that I flavored with garlic cloves and slices of ginger. My boyfriend wanted me to make the spiced tomato sauce by itself without the chickpeas, to put on everything. It wasn't "spicy", as in capsaicin heat spicy, but a spiced flavor, with curry power and extra cumin and such, so that might be a viable option. Or just plain tomato sauce could be fine on rice. As something different.

I'm all for plain carbs... I'll eat pasta plain after I've drained it before I toss it with a sauce, and I love perfectly cooked plain rice... especially Japanese rice, when it's been rinsed and cooked just right, it doesn't need anything.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:12 PM
Christmas Witch

So I was talking pressure cookers and rice cookers with some of the Brontos in #finalfight, and that led me to do a Science Experiment for Science! *trumpets*

My stance going into the experiment:
1) The instant pot is shit at rice; it's too soggy and takes too damn long.
2) The rice cooker is the simplest, but I don't want to have a single-use apparatus hanging around
3) As a result, I have been cooking rice on the stove and calling that good enough

The method:
1) Measure out 120g of rice in 3 bowls
2) Rinse rice under water in a strainer; measure delta mass
3) Add rice to cooking implement and the prescribed amount of water; measure delta m after taring for weight of rice + implement
3.a) Rice cooker: "take the number of cups of rice you added to inner bowl, then backfill bowl with water to the corresponding number marked within"
3.b) Instant pot: "Grain:Water ratio for white rice = 1:1.5; you can use the provided measuring cup to measure the grain:water ratio." Took this to mean "for every 1 cup of rice, add 1.5c water"
3.c) Stovetop: "Water enough to cover, about a quarter to half inch on top"
4) Set the automatic appliances to cook on their preset programs; cook stovetop on medium heat until rice reaches the desired texture.
5) Scrape out rice and measure resulting mass.

Table 1: Masses
Code:
Step                             Rice Cooker      Instant Pot        Stovetop
 1) mass of rice (g)                     120              120             120
 2) mass of rinsed rice (g)              135              137             136
 3) mass of water (g)                    143              204             101
 4) ---                                  ---              ---             ---
 5) mass of cooked rice (g)              238              314             203
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Losses (g)                               40               27              34
Table 2: Time
Code:
Time To Eat (min.)               Rice Cooker      Instant Pot        Stovetop
                                          12               23              13

Subjective section:
* Rice Cooker: excellent texture, uniform throughout with a slight chewiness. Rather sticky
* Instant Pot: a soggy mess, uniform throughout.
* Stovetop: hard on the bottom, but good texture on top. Not very sticky.

Overall verdict bears out my original thinking, which is 1) I probably should just calibrate the instant pot because obviously the instruction manual as I understand it is way out of whack, but until I do so, the stove top is good enough if I don't want to reserve counterspace for the rice cooker.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:19 PM
gatchapon 3*

water ratio changes depending on the rice used. the same amount of water that makes sushi rice into wallpaper paste would make jasmine rice into perfection, while vice versa gets you crunchy garbage.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Christmas Witch

Yeah, this first experiment was more of a 'let's do it strictly by the book' endeavor. I think the next one will be 'let's use the same inputs for all methods and compare their efficacies'.

For reference, here is the table for rice:water ratios the Instant Pot manual lists

Basmati - 1.0 : 1.5
Brown - 1.0 : 1.25
Jasmine - 1.0 : 1.0
White - 1.0 : 1.5
Wild - 1.0 : 3.0

So much for going by the book!
Old 01-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyven View Post
I've been putting this over my vegetables and rice lately:

⅓ cup Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Sesame Seed Oil
½ tablespoon Red Pepper Flakes
1 clove minced Garlic
2 teaspoons White Sugar
1 tablespoon Corn Starch
You've essentially described making teriyaki sauce.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Rice makes you fat.
Whether or not you exercise moderation makes you fat. I've been skinny all my life. I've also eaten rice approximately 85% of the days I've been alive. Your total caloric intake is what makes you fat.

I like plain, white rice. Aside from it being culturally ingrained into me, it's the perfect complement to meals. It can either absorb flavors from other things, or can be a good palate cleanser in between bites. I prefer sticky short/medium grain rice, because it's just tastier to me while also being easier to eat. It's also a good source of calories when you're poor AF and trying not to starve. A big fat 20lb bag will last you quite a while and is pretty cheap. Grilling up some stir fry in a home made sauce, and sticking on top of a bowl of rice got me through some lean years.

I usually go without toppings, but furikake is pretty tops. Just some smoked sesame seeds, or benito flakes, or some shredded seaweed is fine in a pinch. Shichimi is generally a good topping for lots of junk, not just rice. If you ever have to eat natto, mix in some soy sauce and put it on fresh hot rice, it's much easier to eat that way. A raw egg on rice is not my thing, but mostly because I'm just not a big egg fan. However I'm a BIG fan of Ochazuke, and it's worth trying out. Everyone needs to try ochazuke.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:01 PM
Are You Sure About That?

When I still worked retail, I'd eat basmati rice + canned chicken + soy sauce (or whatever) for dinner fairly often.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:10 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisteriaHysteria View Post
I like plain, white rice. Aside from it being culturally ingrained into me
Hmm...
Old 01-11-2017, 07:42 PM
This way up

I like to shred cheese into piping hot rice. If you mix it in immediately, the cheese melts into the rice in flavourful fashion.

A good cheese, mind. No Velveeta nonsense.
Old 01-12-2017, 06:25 AM
Chuck 'im into the soup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
a Science Experiment for Science! *trumpets*
Cook rice in the oven. It comes out more evenly than stovetop's crunchy-on-the-bottom, nice-on-top. Caveat: time to eat is about 45 minutes.