The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Come, noble knights!

A compilation of the classic Dragon Quest trilogy? I hoped for something more portable like the GBC remakes were, but the choice of a disc release for the Erdrick trilogy over Virtual Console is an interesting one. Considering that you'd have to leave the majority of a game as is on VC (killing the chances of tons of RPG releases hitting in English), the choice for a disc release could be a potential loophole in that.

I know it'd be a hard sell outside Japan, but I don't see why Square-Enix wouldn't wanna give us the original trilogy again. It's been like a decade since the GBC games.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Answers come in dreams

That would give me a reason to get rid of my GB Player and all the GBC games.

I thought the 1st and 2nd games were practically unplayable a few months ago when I tried to play them on GBC.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:56 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy Hits View Post
I'd definitely pick it up, if it comes out here - it could happen. People said Mario All stars wouldn't come out here either.
Mario All Stars is little more than a ROM dump. In this case we're talking about two SFC cartridges that were never officially localized into English.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:59 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Toss 1-4 on there and call it good then. At least it'd save me on eventually replacing batteries.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Toss 1-4 on there and call it good then. At least it'd save me on eventually replacing batteries.
I'd pay $30 for this, easy.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by djSyndrome View Post
Mario All Stars is little more than a ROM dump. In this case we're talking about two SFC cartridges that were never officially localized into English.
Weren't the US GBC versions just ports of the SFC versions, though?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:48 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

For Dragon Quest, yeah. But in those situations, they were selling the remakes individually & at full price.

In any case, though, I won't mind if we don't get a modified retro compilation for our own region. I mean, I've played through the GBC remakes recently, so barring some spectacular extras, it wouldn't be a must-grab for me.

That, and as mentioned earlier, I'd be surprised if remakes of the original trilogy weren't on their way already, most likely for the 3DS. You know, I & II on one cart, III on another.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
That, and as mentioned earlier, I'd be surprised if remakes of the original trilogy weren't on their way already, most likely for the 3DS. You know, I & II on one cart, III on another.
We need a portable version of VII that cuts out all the repetition first, though.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
So I had a question that I've been wondering about for a while: Who exactly ARE Heartbeat? They didn't develop any games before Dragon Quest VI, they made nothing but Dragon Quest games and remakes, and they closed after Dragon Quest VII. I notice that a lot of the same people worked on Dragon Quest games both before and during the Heartbeat era. Does that mean that Heartbeat was a contingent of Chunsoft that split off? I'm having a real hard time finding solid information on this.
A little Dracky passed the following to me:

Quote:
Heartbeat was the development house formed by Manabu Yamana after the DQ team parted ways with Chunsoft. They disbanded in 2001 and formed two companies.

Manabu (it's just fun to say/type) founded Genius Sonority, which developed DQ Swords and the console Pokémon offshoots. It also has former members of Creatures Inc., so it's odd that they're not doing anything grander.

Arte Piazza/ArtéPiazza/Artepiazza is the art and design component. When Artepiazza designs a game, there is often a separate programming house. For example, V PS2 was programmed by Matrix Software and Cattle Call for IV DS.

There was a longtime rumor that Heartbeat's disbanding was due to Horii's decision to take VIII in a different direction. Not so. They took a much needed sabbatical and decided to move in different directions.
For what's it's worth, I lit up a little when I read Genius Sorority. The GC Pokemon games are pretty good, load times aside.

I also think there is a better than zero chance of seeing some kind of anniversary compilation outside of Japan, published by either SE or Nintendo. No reason to pass up some easy cash when the franchise is just building steam.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Loves to overthink.

I figure a collection moves officially localized releases of the SFC versions from "outright impossible" to "possible but extraordinarily unlikely". Hell, I'd think it'd be really likely if it weren't for the fact it sounds like hacking in a new translation would be a huge pain in the ass, so I'll just have to hope for VC releases of 1-3.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
We need a portable version of VII that cuts out all the repetition first, though.
I haven't played all the way through VII, but in your opinion. would this just involve lowering the number of battles needed to master all of the jobs (and other math adjustments), or excising whole pieces of the game?
Old 05-11-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I haven't played all the way through VII, but in your opinion. would this just involve lowering the number of battles needed to master all of the jobs (and other math adjustments), or excising whole pieces of the game?
A little of both? The real problem is a combination of the high encounter rate and the fact that you have to go through every dungeon twice back-to-back before being able to proceed. But hell, even if they gave you some kind of puzzle piece radar or more specific hints as to where your missing ones are it'd improve it significantly.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:15 PM
gatchapon 3*

damn it, i dont want to buy a wii.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM
so exciting!

Quote:
A little of both? The real problem is a combination of the high encounter rate and the fact that you have to go through every dungeon twice back-to-back before being able to proceed. But hell, even if they gave you some kind of puzzle piece radar or more specific hints as to where your missing ones are it'd improve it significantly.
Or at least made it easier to get to the Hint-Giver instead of having to walk over to her sinkhole then navigate the cliffs to get down to speak with her.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:22 PM

Yeah, it needs to have a spell/ability equivalent, like a more specific "Nose for Treasure".
Old 05-12-2011, 12:59 AM

I wonder what they will do with the first two famicom games, which used super long passwords instead of a battery. I'm assuming they will allow save states.

If the packaging is nice (maps etc) I'd pick this up. Love the first three DQ games.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:09 AM
had a hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Once upon a time they announced DQ X (no, ten not exx....damn you megaman) was coming for the Wii.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:11 AM
Señor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaterite View Post
Once upon a time they announced DQ X (no, ten not exx....damn you megaman) was coming for the Wii.
At this point, it may very well be a launch title for "Project Cafe".
Old 05-12-2011, 07:20 AM
A certain tendency

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasm View Post
Dunno about this, they've been hammering home that Wii business the last couple of months. Still though, if it's a Level-5 game then I'm sure it'd look serviceable if not beautiful on the Café.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:29 AM
BAILAREMOS A LA NORTEÑA

Also, Dragon Quest VII was released for PS1 a few months after the PS2 came out in Japan; its English localization was released more than a full year after the PS2 came out in the US.

And as mentioned upthread -- I wonder if the Wii's successor would allow Wii developers to program in enhancements like higher-res menus. But that's probably a discussion for the appropriate thread.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

Yeah, I see no reason why Dragon Quest X wouldn't come out for the Wii when Dragon Quest always targets the console/handheld with the largest install base. It's likely that Project Cafe will be a success, but it's not certain and from the looks of things, the Dragon Quest team always goes for the sure thing in times like this.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Medal Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by abasm View Post
Releasing a mainline Dragon Quest game on a system with a userbase of zero is never going to happen.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Obtuse Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
Releasing a mainline Dragon Quest game on a system with a userbase of zero is never going to happen.
So Horii's just been lying on all of those recent interviews?

Anyways, this DQ Collection sounds like what I wanted the Mario Collection to be (including the NES originals), so hopefully the packaging/extras turn out to be great as well.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Space Prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refa View Post
So Horii's just been lying on all of those recent interviews?
Where does Horii say that DQX is for Project Cafe?
Old 05-12-2011, 03:16 PM
Cave Craver

Quote:
I used a guide, and it still took a damn long time to get through this game. Lots of backtracking, vague/nonexistent clues, and stuff feeling like it was designed w/ lengthy repetitiveness in mind. Tighten that stuff up and I have no doubt that this would be my all-time favorite DQ.

I loved the job system. Like DQ6, if you use Whistle, you're grinding out top-tier jobs with relatively little pain. The game is designed in such a way that you don't need these jobs, but they make certain aspects of the game much easier. I'm fine with that... if I'm putting that much time into the game, it better damn well feel rewarding.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
Where does Horii say that DQX is for Project Cafe?
Maybe he's making fun of the fact that the Wii really isn't doing well in Japan?
Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Loves to overthink.

This HAS been an unusually turbulent time. However, if he's aiming to make a console game then the Wii is still the safest approach. Those that want the game badly and don't have it will undoubtedly buy a cheap one just for DQX, whereas the more casual audience probably already has one.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:45 PM
MOE~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
It would sure move a lot of consoles, though.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:05 AM
A certain tendency

So I'm sure everyone's seen these cool looking anniversary goods by now, but just in case you haven't, check it out!

I'm hoping there'll be some form of Uniqlo collaboration too, though I'm not sure that Square has worked with them before. Anyways, I want a spiffy jacket!
Old 05-14-2011, 05:12 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
Then... don't? It's not like all these games aren't avaliable in english, one way or another.

Tags
a slime draws near! , abandon all hope , akira toriyama , but thou must , cor blimey , dargon quest , dragon quest , here thra be dargons , japan exclusive , puff puff , slime puns , square enix , stairs command , talking slime , town of assaram , unbridled joy , where's dqviii hd , yuji horii