The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 05-01-2011, 11:53 PM
Awoken Amaterasu Ohkami

Once I get Fleurette's outfit I'm going to finish all the quests and then be done with the game.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

I'm still playing Dragon Quest IX regularly, if you can believe it. I've never played a game this long or this often. The drive to get loot to dress my characters up in is strong indeed.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:18 AM
Space Prez

I left my slime virtual pet at work over the weekend.
R.I.P.

I still play IX pretty regularly with lots left to do. Currently working on unlocking the advanced classes in the hopes that I can beat Masayuki one of these days. I have about 120 hours (20 in multiplayer!) which is quite a lot for me, just curious how much time you guys have sunk into it.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excitemike View Post
I still play IX pretty regularly with lots left to do. Currently working on unlocking the advanced classes in the hopes that I can Masayuki one of these days. I have about 120 hours (20 in multiplayer!) which is quite a lot for me, just curious how much time you guys have sunk into it.
I played like 50 hours, unlocked every class but ranger. Once the main story was over (and the return of the train junk) I lost all interest since there was nobody to trade maps with and the randomly generated ones were so boring. DQVC was good in theory, but I wasn't going to grind out gold daily just to get cool looking gear that I could never show off to anyone but my wife (who doesn't care).
Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 AM
A certain tendency

Quote:
Just curious how much time you guys have sunk into it.
About 130 hours so far, moved into a new apartment recently and so I haven't been able to keep up with the DL quests and what not. Look forward to visitting the Motherland and some point and taking advantage of my family's unsecured internet connection for that easy hook up!
Old 05-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

Quote:
I still play IX pretty regularly with lots left to do. Currently working on unlocking the advanced classes in the hopes that I can beat Masayuki one of these days. I have about 120 hours (20 in multiplayer!) which is quite a lot for me, just curious how much time you guys have sunk into it.
I'm within spitting distance of 450 hours... I have no life, that's why. But hey, I managed to get 50 hours of multiplayer in with my sister. That's something.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 AM
The metal babble flees!

Quote:
140 for me. I had a lot of fun with the quests in the main game, but was never able to get the wi-fi going. Without the possibility of seeing more storyline through the online quests, interest flagged fast.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Frozen Custard Trooper

I'm at 420 hours, I think. Even just checking the shop every day can contribute pretty significantly to that. That's all I've been doing aside from the new quests and occasionally deciding I might get lucky and get an orb from Psaro (I don't).

I'll be happy to put it back in its case for the first time in 10 months once all the quests are done and my bestiary is at 100%. Everything else is an impossibility.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:36 AM
gatchapon 3*

228 hours.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Once the main story was over (and the return of the train junk) I lost all interest since there was nobody to trade maps with and the randomly generated ones were so boring. DQVC was good in theory, but I wasn't going to grind out gold daily just to get cool looking gear that I could never show off to anyone but my wife (who doesn't care).
This is pretty much word-for-word what happened with me. I love so much about the game in theory, but you really have to have multiple people playing the game in your local area to get the most out of it. God, it must have been so incredible to play this game if you lived in the Tokyo metropolitan area.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:59 AM
Space Prez

Sugiyama says DQX for 2012
Old 05-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Mystery Contraption

I'm sitting at around 200 hours in DQ9.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:05 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Downloadable (well, more like "unlockable") quests every week sound like a great idea, but by the time I started getting the postgame quests, I had leveled up my party to the point where there was no challenge at all. I quickly lost interest in doing them if I was basically just talking to minor characters and one-shotting enemies.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosencrantz View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. Downloadable (well, more like "unlockable") quests every week sound like a great idea, but by the time I started getting the postgame quests, I had leveled up my party to the point where there was no challenge at all. I quickly lost interest in doing them if I was basically just talking to minor characters and one-shotting enemies.
This is true, the fact that most of the DLC quests are only for the post game, and the bosses associated with them would barely be a challenge midway through the game certainly didn't help.

But then, the main draw of the post game, for me at least, to to get your hellaciously powerful party up to snuff to fight the Legacy and Grotto Bosses.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:00 PM
Come, noble knights!

Really, I'm just sticking around for new armor now. I may do a dungeon run now and then for cash, and I've got a few more quests to finish off, but the grotto runs finally got tedious a while back. I also don't care for making the ultimate equipment because that requires grinding legacy bosses for orbs and the end benefit of that is...being able to grind legacy bosses for orbs a bit more efficiently.

The legacy gear was appealing, but thanks to DQVC I've assembled full sets of 2, 3, and 4 (guy and girl), as well as near full sets of 1, 5, and 6. Heck, if I'm lucky I might finish the 5 and/or 6 sets this week and maybe even get an extra helm and boots for 4 so I can have guy and girl hero together.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:20 PM
Answers come in dreams

I played around 50 hours did a few grottos, and quit. I had enough of it.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Love and Peace

I think I had 250 hours on DQIX before something inside of me just snapped and couldn't carry on. As much as I dislike the "other people" part of MMOs in actual practice, if I can't show off my phat loot to anyone else, it gets pretty hard to care about grinding and grinding until I get a Metal King set.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Come, noble knights!

And now I've got the Gothan Gumboots and have completed the Dragon Quest V set! I'm now tempted to leave my current companions at home base and have Patty, Sellma, and Erinn tag along dressed as all three possible wives.

GO TEAM POLYGAMY! No, I don't really believe in that. ^^;
Old 05-02-2011, 06:01 PM
the :motion: stands

219 hours, and I've fought a single Legacy Boss.

I have no idea what the hell I've been doing this whole time.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:03 PM
#deadfish2017

20 hours because it was boring and I quit.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Thunder Wool

80 hours to complete the main quest while doing a fair amount vocation changing and questing along the way. Have yet to dip into the post-game side of things and I'm not sure if I want to.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Frozen Custard Trooper

Oh hey, as we're on DQIX and I guess we're leaving those old threads behind: one of the DQVC items this week is the level 69 legacy boss drop that I need. I'm going to have to get one of those. That will leave me with only a level 1 and level 16 drop from a future legacy boss remaining.
Old 05-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Obtuse Ham

I think I played like 10 hours of DQIX before moving on. I'd probably like one of the more story driven entries a lot more.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:24 PM
Fun Club Agent

So I had a question that I've been wondering about for a while: Who exactly ARE Heartbeat? They didn't develop any games before Dragon Quest VI, they made nothing but Dragon Quest games and remakes, and they closed after Dragon Quest VII. I notice that a lot of the same people worked on Dragon Quest games both before and during the Heartbeat era. Does that mean that Heartbeat was a contingent of Chunsoft that split off? I'm having a real hard time finding solid information on this.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 AM
fluffy

Seconding the curiosity on Heartbeat.

Also --

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post
This probably will be worth its own thread, but for now I'll throw it here.

Square Enix is re-releasing Dragon Quest 1-3, NES and SNES versions, on Wii.

On their own disc, and not the Virtual Console. Which is unfortunate for us, since I don't know how likely it is we'd get this set since the SNES ports of the games never made it over here and they'd have actual work to do. Maybe they'll actually localize the set, or maybe they'll throw us a bone and just give us the NES games on VC.

Or... maybe none of the above.
I was about to post that news here!

Anyway -- another article on it.

So, here's the first of what they'll do for the 25th Anniversary. [Due in September, though.] Though, yeah -- it's most likely Japan-only.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:49 AM
World of Darkness Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSL View Post
Man, just after I spent $40/each getting reproduction carts made of the SFC versions with fan translations. I'll buy the hell out of it any way if it comes out here.
Me : DQ1 :: everyone else : FF4
Old 05-11-2011, 07:14 AM
A certain tendency

Excited to buy this, though I just hunted down the Game Boy remakes of I+II and III, so a bit superflous perhaps. Hopefully the packaging will be top notch!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:19 AM
Promoted to Gabby Jay

I'd totally buy that disc no matter how much of a tax Square-Enix put on it. I could no doubt squeeze 100 hours out of that, probably more depending on how many times I wanted to go through Dragon Quest III.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanatos feeding time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warg View Post
Though, yeah -- it's most likely Japan-only.
Considering they would have to take apart the SFC games, localize and then reassemble them - yeah, no.

This is a quick cash-in by Square-Enix, and there is no reason that they couldn't have gone full-bore and included IV-VI as well. The DS remakes are long into Ultimate Hits in Japan and some people would prefer the FC/SFC originals anyway, especially with batteries in these cartridges now dying.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 AM
Answers come in dreams

They might surprise us and bring it over here.

When is the anniversary in the US? Did it come out in '87 or 88?

I'd definitely pick it up, if it comes out here - it could happen. People said Mario All stars wouldn't come out here either.

Tags
a slime draws near! , abandon all hope , akira toriyama , but thou must , cor blimey , dargon quest , dragon quest , here thra be dargons , japan exclusive , puff puff , slime puns , square enix , stairs command , talking slime , town of assaram , unbridled joy , where's dqviii hd , yuji horii