The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-20-2017, 05:17 AM
Come, noble knights!

In Memoriam

That Soldier Who Spent The Entire Game Dying Behind The Water Shop Srsly Guise The Inn's Like A Block Away And Costs Only 3 Gold Why The Fuck Did You All Just Leave Him Bleeding Out In A Corner?!

Dragon Quest 1 is finished! It was fun to run through this game again with a Square Enix brand translation. Shame about the scaling and sprite giantism, but you get used to it after a while.

Now if SE would just greenlight a DQ1 Mystery Dungeon Game. Or at least bring the Torneko No Daiboukens to mobile.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:56 AM

I didn't mind the bigger sprites, but man that pixel scaling is a fucking abomination. Zero standards for their intellectual property.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
I didn't mind the bigger sprites, but man that pixel scaling is a fucking abomination. Zero standards for their intellectual property.
Well yeah, they're nice sprites, and clearly some work went into making the backgrounds look nicer than the Super Famicom remake's. It's just that all the human characters grew to DQ3 remake size while all the background assets and the rare on-field monster sprite (Dragon, Dragonlord) remained at SFC proportions. Once you see that the people are bigger than the doors you don't unsee it.

And the pixel scaling snafu is unfortunate, but TBH I barely noticed it after a while unless I was actively looking for it. Might be 'cuz my tablet is frickin' gigantic (11' 1024x600) so anything pixelly not shoved through an emulator looks kinda crap on it, though.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
And the pixel scaling snafu is unfortunate, but TBH I barely noticed it after a while unless I was actively looking for it
I picked this up while it was still free, and it was the only thing I could see.

I just couldn't do it.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:55 PM
Come, noble knights!

Well like I said, I've got a ludicrous res Android slablet where many games with pixels look blocky as fuck. I wasn't bothered too much by the scaling being crap 'cuz the game kinda looked like crap in general.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:11 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

To clarify, I'm not saying that it should bother you, only that it did bother me.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:00 AM
Come, noble knights!

Picked up Dragon Quest II this week alongside a couple of other non-DQ RPGs.*

I got cocky at the start and didn't buy any herbs 'cuz I was a tightwad who wanted to get that leather shield slightly faster. Then a dracky trio murdered my face. Yay!

Anyway, I'm enjoying replaying it so far, but I usually enjoy the early hours. It's the later parts of the game where my enjoyment dies down, when large groups of magic resistant foes show up and you realize how much magic and the Zoom spell used to suck. Game's basically like an early beta for Dragon Quest III.

* Romancing SaGa 2 and Shadowrun Returns
Old 03-22-2017, 02:17 AM

Try abandoning the 2nd prince. I think it's possible in the mobile version. You should be required to get him to progress the plot, but can dump him later on.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:43 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
It's the later parts of the game where my enjoyment dies down...and you realize how much...the Zoom spell used to suck.
Oh my Almighty they did the thing.

Fast travel in Dragon Quest II no longer sucks a pile of rockbombs! Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Try abandoning the 2nd prince. I think it's possible in the mobile version. You should be required to get him to progress the plot, but can dump him later on.
YOU WILL PRY PRINCE KRILLIN FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS
Old 03-22-2017, 03:16 AM

Well, if you actually like him, more power to you. But it's amazing how much better the game progresses when it's just Midenhall and Moonbrooke (I don't know their new translation names).
Old 03-22-2017, 03:29 AM
Come, noble knights!

It's still Midenhall, Cannock, and Moonbrooke. Names are randomized for the latter two but in this version you can change 'em when talking to King Dad downstairs, no codes needed.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

Why would you abandon the only other character that can deal damage? Especially when's also an MP bank for healing spells?
Old 03-22-2017, 01:58 PM
so exciting!

resource gathering spawn points rear their ugly head, hopefully it'll be less obnoxious than the crafting in dq9
Old 03-22-2017, 02:09 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Why would you abandon the only other character that can deal damage? Especially when's also an MP bank for healing spells?
If XP works anything like it does in Dragon Quest III, going from a three way split back to a two means faster leveling to make up for Cannock being MIA. Also it's one less person to worry about spending MP resources on and the remakes made Moonbrooke a second Kazing user.

Also I'd assume Midenhall could use spellcasting weaponry to make up for there being only one magic user in fights where there's lots of enemies and the attack spells actually work.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:11 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

The main characteristic of that traveling performer party member is "looks like a man, but talks like a woman."

Good luck salvaging what is sure to be a train wreck of either homophobic or transphobic stereotypes, localization team.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
Because he's not good at any of the things he can do? It allows the princess to level up so much faster, and there are plenty of items she can use to cast free spells for random battles if you really need to conserve MP.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:27 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I've only played the SFC version, which solves the original's endgame damage problem by letting him equip Loto's Sword. He was really useful for me. He's a healer, and he can do damage. It's useful to have someone around to finish off an enemy on low HP while warrior prince moves on to the next target.

He's a jack of all trades and master of none, but just having a third party member is a big help. (Apparently not in the NES game, where his best weapon was an Iron Spear...)
Old 03-22-2017, 06:52 PM

Really looking forward to the reveal of hat DLC to cover the main character's​ horrendous hairdo.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:52 AM
Come, noble knights!

Okay, this thought's crossed my mind occasionally when replaying Dragon Quest II, and it's on my mind now, so here goes nothing.

Was Hargon inspired by Hordak from She-Ra and the Masters of the Universe comics?

Yes, I'm aware of how silly it sounds that the bad guy of an 80s Japanese RPG might be inspired by the bad guy from Filmation's Girl He-Man, but hear me out.
  • Both have six letter names starting with an H.
  • Both wear a prominent bat symbol on their outfits.
  • Both have said bat symbol worn by members of their army. In Hordak's case it's worn by all his minions and robots, in Hargon's it's displayed on the skeletons, reapers, sorcerers, and mace-wielding clowns in his army.
  • Also both are blue skinned evil sorcerers I guess, whatever.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:07 AM
Out Of Warranty

Some of those photos look so gorgeous I'm genuinely torn between getting the PS4 or the 3DS version (unless they optimize the Switch version - I understand the port of DQ Monsters has some issues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell View Post
Really looking forward to the reveal of hat DLC to cover the main character's​ horrendous hairdo.
Oh, thank you, thank you. I thought it was just me.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:18 AM
Come, noble knights!

You mean DQ Heroes, right?

Anyway, I ain't getting my hopes up for us ever seeing the neato 3DS version in English, but if we did I'd totally double dip on the game.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:20 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
[*]Also both are blue skinned evil sorcerers I guess, whatever.[/LIST]
Excuse me, but Hordak isn't a wizard. He's a cyborg.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Excuse me, but Hordak isn't a wizard. He's a cyborg.
He's a magic cyborg, Octo.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:35 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
You mean DQ Heroes, right?
Oh, yeah, that's the one.

And there's still hope for a 3DS port, IMHO, particularly if they use the same script and they can share localizations. Let's just hope the game comes out in Japan soon while the 3DS user base is still significantly large to justify distribution costs.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:54 AM
Come, noble knights!

Back on the topic of playing Dragon Quest II, changing the Zoom spell and chimaera wings so they work just like they do in the rest of the series has definitely been the biggest improvement in the mobile remakes. Not having to sail around the sea for way too long fighting magic resistant junk mobs on the way back to destinations you already visited has done a lot to make the game more tolerable.

I've got all five sigils and I'm going after the moon shard now.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:09 AM
:O

Quote:
He's a magic cyborg, Octo.
Cyborgs can't be magic, the metal parts reduce their essence.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:12 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
Cyborgs can't be magic, the metal parts reduce their essence.
This guy disagrees.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:17 AM
Are You Sure About That?

That's, uh, where that joke comes from (the old SW Expanded Universe had it that the more synthetic parts you had, the less of a connection to the Force you had. It was just as dumb then).
Old 03-24-2017, 08:09 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyblue View Post
That's, uh, where that joke comes from (the old SW Expanded Universe had it that the more synthetic parts you had, the less of a connection to the Force you had. It was just as dumb then).
I think Nodal was making a Shadowrun reference, not a Star Wars reference...
Old 03-24-2017, 08:14 AM
Are You Sure About That?

(I have no experience with Shadowrun, so it only prompted faint memories of very bad SW novels)

Tags
a slime draws near! , abandon all hope , akira toriyama , but thou must , cor blimey , dargon quest , dragon quest , here thra be dargons , japan exclusive , puff puff , slime puns , square enix , stairs command , talking slime , town of assaram , unbridled joy , where's dqviii hd , yuji horii