The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-17-2011, 01:30 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
I didn't realize liking a show more than you made me unreasonable.
I don't think anyone here loves the show as much as the type of people I'm referring to. We're all reasonable!
Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 PM
It's all good, man

Yeah... I think it's pretty awesome but I've never cosplayed as Jayne's hat.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:40 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

I just rewatched the first episode of Darkplace, and the graveyard scene is still the funniest thing ever.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:17 PM
Sudden chomper

Thanks for the responses, folks. I've seen The Wire on a ton of these "Best of TV" lists, and Breaking Bad seems to be gaining a lot of respect as well. I've already watched 2/3 of Arrested Development (and I'll definitely get around to the rest some day) and I've been interested in Mad Men for a while now, but the subject matter of The Sopranos is a bit less interesting to me. One concern I have is that, for now, I'll be watching these shows on my old SDTV. My understanding is that The Wire isn't even filmed in widescreen, so that would make it a good choice for this job, whereas I've heard that Mad Men is filmed very well and I'd rather get it on Blu-Ray. Where does Breaking Bad fall in this sort of continuum?
Old 02-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Gesundheit!

Breaking Bad is widescreen and possibly the most gorgeous show in this whole discussion, though not in the "sets and suits" sense that Mad Men is.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Sudden chomper

I guess that narrows it down, then!

Related annoyance: all of the The Wire box sets are more expensive on Amazon.ca now than they were when I first looked at them. Guess I'll have to head downtown and see if the prices are any better at HMV.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:07 PM
A No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
Breaking Bad is widescreen and possibly the most gorgeous show in this whole discussion, though not in the "sets and suits" sense that Mad Men is.
I can understand this opinion, but I personally still find Mad Men better to look at. Both are filled with eye candy (in very different ways), though.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:31 PM
In the Hall of Judgment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
what are the three best TV shows of the last 10 years?
AV Club's list of the best series of the 2000s is a pretty good read on this matter (although 10 times as many series as you asked for). I'm not as well versed in dramas, but I'd say that the 3 best comedies of the past 10 years are Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and Community.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavir View Post
AV Club's list of the best series of the 2000s is a pretty good read on this matter (although 10 times as many series as you asked for). I'm not as well versed in dramas, but I'd say that the 3 best comedies of the past 10 years are Arrested Development, 30 Rock, and Community.
Switch out 30 Rock for Always Sunny in Philadelphia and this is about right for comedies.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:53 PM
120 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
I just rewatched the first episode of Darkplace, and the graveyard scene is still the funniest thing ever.
OMG - Garth Marenghi?

SCOTCH MIST
Old 02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Wily ran off with Gamma!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
Thanks for the responses, folks. I've seen The Wire on a ton of these "Best of TV" lists, and Breaking Bad seems to be gaining a lot of respect as well. I've already watched 2/3 of Arrested Development (and I'll definitely get around to the rest some day) and I've been interested in Mad Men for a while now, but the subject matter of The Sopranos is a bit less interesting to me. One concern I have is that, for now, I'll be watching these shows on my old SDTV. My understanding is that The Wire isn't even filmed in widescreen, so that would make it a good choice for this job, whereas I've heard that Mad Men is filmed very well and I'd rather get it on Blu-Ray. Where does Breaking Bad fall in this sort of continuum?
All of those shows are great (although I'm still gearing up to watch Breaking Bad - I'm admittedly late to that one) but seriously:

DEADWOOD.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM
Hawkguy

Justified: surprised we didn't see more of the Bennet family. Arlo is still a hoot. The last shot was hilarious.

I bet the guard's wife was in on it the whole time.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:00 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

Oh man, rewatching Darkplace was the best idea ever. If only so I can start saying that I feel "muscular and compact, like corned beef" again because I had forgotten how god damn funny it is.

I've also tried watching The Mighty Boosh, and while I like it, I don't think it's particularly funny. But I'll keep it up for a bit and see how it goes.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:55 AM
Gettin' dizzy

I wish I could articulate about why I like Boardwalk Empire so much. Gangsters, murders, dirty dealing, I love that kind of stuff.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Penalty Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moirae View Post
All of those shows are great (although I'm still gearing up to watch Breaking Bad - I'm admittedly late to that one) but seriously:

DEADWOOD.
I liked Deadwood, but the conclusion was really weak. Although that's not entirely their fault.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:54 AM

Manswers manages to be more crass than 1000 Ways To Die and I cannot... look... away
Old 02-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Gesundheit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
I liked Deadwood, but the conclusion was really weak. Although that's not entirely their fault.
I just reached the third season and it's been tough moving forward knowing that none of it's going to amount to much. But the characters, plotting, acting are still first-rate.

Oh and welcome to the forum, and I highly approve of your handle.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Gesundheit!

It's kind of ridiculous how much more interesting the campaign storylines are than the White House ones toward the end of the West Wing (i'm closing in on the end of season 6). Guess it kind of mirrors reality in that sense.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

The Amazing Race returns tomorrow night. This is notable in that it brings back my two favourite teams: Mel and Mike White, and TEAM GRAVY (the cowboys).

Also a bunch of annoying and generally disliked teams from the same race as Mel and Mike. Whatever.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Too Much TV Game

I was waiting for the small yet feverish TAR fanbase to come into the thread.

I'm also not too keen on some of the all-star choices, though it isn't a terrible cast. I think they decided to focus on teams that basically got screwed (Amanda/Kris, Justin/Zev, Mel/Mike - none of these teams bug me) in their respective seasons. Still, no one from last season should be there (Gary and Mallory? Really?) and no one who clearly went "Ugly American" should be around as well. (Jamie and Cara, please get eliminated quickly.) I know there's supposed to be drama, which is why Kisha/Jen and Margie/Luke are back...but am I the weird one who'd rather just see a bunch of good teams race instead of fight?

Then again, I'd also like the challenges to be difficult again - but that's clearly asking too much. Still, it should be a good season.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:02 PM

I'm pulling for the the goth kids in Amazing Race.

Personally I don't want competent teams. I want dysfunction. But I'm with you on returning to challenging challenges.

Last edited by Voncaster; 02-19-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

What really bothers me is the "Oh it's ON!" aspect of the show that it inevitably devolves into at the slightest provocation, and often Phil himself will add fuel to the fire at pitstops. It's unwelcome and unnecessary.

Seriously. One of my favourite recent teams was the Ray Romano "thank-you-baby-thank-you-my-friend" soundalike / Lemmy Kilmister cop combo from two seasons ago. They recognized that they're not in it to make friends. They're in it to win a million bucks, and that was reflected in their actions. You just know they're going to rekindle the Margie/Luke bullshit with black-and-white flashbacks where petty crap gets flung back and forth, and we'll also be reminded of Jamie's astonishment that people in other countries don't speak fluent English.

Er, that aside, looking forward to more Mel/Mike banter and epic cowboy music!
Old 02-20-2011, 02:20 AM
In the Hall of Judgment

Too many teams from Season 14, but otherwise a pretty good bunch and no complete dud teams. I like that they included both memorable favorites (cowboys, goths, Globetrotters) and people who could have gone far but got screwed kinda early on (Zev/Justin, Amanda/Kris). Best of all, there's no gimmicky team of two racers originally on separate teams that could screw things up by somehow actually winning the whole thing (Eric/Danielle from the first All Stars season).

My prediction for first team eliminated is either Jaime/Cara or Kisha/Jen. If I recall correctly, despite getting pretty far in the race, they spent most of their time in the last few places on the majority of legs.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm kind of over memes.

Oh COME ON.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:51 PM
This is what happens!

Spent a good chunk of today watching some Lovejoy. Ian McShane as a lovable rogue of an antiques dealer who solves mysteries? Yes please.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:26 AM

Anyone see The Chicago Code? Looks stupid, but I feel obligated to watch since it is set in my backyard.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:01 AM
It's all good, man

Why does it look stupid?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Brain Boiled in Anthrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Anyone see The Chicago Code? Looks stupid, but I feel obligated to watch since it is set in my backyard.
Yeah, it has the makings of something decent, it's surprisingly pretty good for a cop show on a major network. We'll see how it turns out (you really can't tell much about any show only two episodes in), but I'm optimistic. Lots of Chicago-y stuff in it.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Why does it look stupid?
Because it looks like another Gritty Cop Show?
Old 02-21-2011, 09:30 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

If anyone in a country that can view Hulu hasn't seen the Threat Level Midnight episode of The Office, do it now before it becomes Hulu Plus for charge episode, even if you don't normally watch The Office.

It's a hilarious parody of 80s action movies/James Bond. Very Waiting for Guffman-esque.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television