The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-04-2017, 07:06 AM
LUV & HAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohGr View Post
If the entirety of Dick Wolf's body of work isn't enough convince you that he isn't capable of producing something even one-quarter as good as S4 of The Wire, the L&O/Homicide crossovers should be all the further evidence you need.
I always loved this crossover that was used as a Homicide cold open, with Logan handing off a prisoner (played by John Waters) to Pembleton.

Old 03-05-2017, 05:19 AM
noble beast

Just saw an ad on twitter for like "what if Jack the Ripper was a hot time traveler?"

I might watch it, yes.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:11 AM
Can't maintain

Quote:
Originally Posted by taosterman View Post
I always loved this crossover that was used as a Homicide cold open, with Logan handing off a prisoner (played by John Waters) to Pembleton.

God, yes. Two of my favorite dudes - John Waters and Andre Braugher - together in a scene? Chris Noth being smarmy as fuck? Love that shit.

Homicide was too good for NBC.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:37 AM
LUV & HAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohGr View Post
Homicide was too good for NBC.
Which is why the network glitzed up the opening credits into something completely tonally inconsistent with the theme music, and slowly removed the less photogenic cast members one by one.

I wish Homicide were available on streaming. It seems to have completely disappeared from the "great television" conversation, and it's legit one of the all-time greats. Early on it possibly had the best cast in TV history, except maybe Cheers.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Remembers Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavelsAreNeat View Post
Just saw an ad on twitter for like "what if Jack the Ripper was a hot time traveler?"

I might watch it, yes.
but will they be able to fill the shoes of sexual leviathans malcolm mcdowell and david warner
Old 03-06-2017, 07:43 AM
Can't maintain

On the one hand, i'm glad Homicide landed were it did. Wallowing in the money and ratings that shows like Friends, Seinfeld, L&O and ER were raking in allowed NBC to hang on to an under-performing "prestige" show longer than they otherwise would have. Any other network at the time would've shit-canned it after a season or two. On the other hand...
Quote:
Which is why the network glitzed up the opening credits into something completely tonally inconsistent with the theme music, and slowly removed the less photogenic cast members one by one.
... this. They didn't know what they had with it and the executive meddling did a lot of damage to an otherwise phenomenal show. Listening to the episode commentaries on the DVDs is a hell of a thing; my favorite anecdote being how they routinely received notes from worried executives about having "too many black people" in given scenes, concerned that white people would tune out.

Quote:
I wish Homicide were available on streaming. It seems to have completely disappeared from the "great television" conversation, and it's legit one of the all-time greats. Early on it possibly had the best cast in TV history, except maybe Cheers.
Yeah, i'll always cherish my DVDs (the complete collection that came in a faux filing cabinet) but if it were available on a streaming service somewhere maybe it would get the love it richly deserves.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:23 PM
LUV & HAT

I have to say I am very amused at the way Last Man on Earth managed to write America's present political situation into its broader narrative.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:00 PM
Remembers Love

Excited to see Jared Harris pop back up in The Expanse. Show has plenty of good actors, but he really elevates the material. Also digging Cara Gee as Fred Johnson's adjutant. One of the better new characters.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Space dad

So.

Lost.

We caught up with this show over the last couple months, finally. On balance I liked it a lot. I didn't even hate most of the finale, aside from the pretty hackneyed Abel/Cain-God/Devil thing they had going on. I really liked the last shot of Jack mirroring the first shot of Jack; good move in a show that dealt so often in circles and recursion.

But there are SO MANY storytelling problems wrapped up in the conclusion to the flash-sideways stuff that I don't know what they thought they were doing. Claire has a baby, but not a REAL baby? Everyone waits around in purgatory for everyone else to die and recognize each other? It was just sloppy, disjointed and weird. Nothing of the flash sideways except the last episode or two had any meaning at all, because it was all fake reality full of apparently fake people except for the few who mattered (like looking back on it, why on Earth does Jin have to be kidnapped by Evil Guy and his life threatened and Sayid too and then he kills them and and frees Jin and what, what, is all this?).

Like the simple "everyone (except Michael!) gathering to move on" thing is fine from a storytelling standpoint I suppose, but it doesn't fit with ANYTHING ELSE shown nearly up to that point. All of it could have been left out with no harm done to the main narrative of the season.

Last edited by Sarcasmorator; 03-11-2017 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:03 AM
Mystery Contraption

Just discovered Angie Tribecca which I at first, assumed would be a police procedural with odd cases. Which is pretty Octo.

As it turns out, I was wrong. It's a modern update to Police Squad.

Which is outrageously Octo
Old 03-13-2017, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peach View Post
but will they be able to fill the shoes of sexual leviathans malcolm mcdowell and david warner
You shamefully neglected Mary Steenburgen. I am sad that I haven't been able to re-watch Time After Time from any of the streaming services I have access to.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:05 AM
noble beast

Love, season 2, did not disappoint. Excellent vehicle for Gillian Jacobs and Bertie remains a wonderful character.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:09 PM
noble beast

On this day I watched that episode of Planet Earth where that fungus erupted out of an ant and moments ago said footage showed up on a rerun of the newest Legion episode.

That fungus is just too much in my opinion
Old 03-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
very late to the party: I swear I've watched this scene a hundred times and I only just now realized that Pembleton is smoking right next to the no-smoking sign.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:47 PM

Iron Fist is passable to bad. I do like how during dinner, Danny takes refuge in the three jewels as if he's saying grace. Doesn't make a lick of sense.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:20 PM
This Guy

Instead of finishing Iron Fist I watched the first couple episodes of Crackle's Snatch series. It is kind of enjoyably bad. The first two episodes aren't good, but they capture just enough of Guy Ritchie's playful energy to get by. Rupert Grint seems to be having a blast and it is infectious. I can't recommend to anyone, but I plan to stick with it.

Tags
bingewatch purgatory , fear of new threads , sex house , television