The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
120 Days

I've read the title of thread as:

Tights and Taints.

Lol
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Peeper

A few thoughts on last night

-It was nice to see McMahon back, even though it looks like he's went back to his old role as a spokesman for the company rather than the evil CEO.

-Mason Ryan/R-Truth was sloppy. Truth getting the city wrong was hilarious though.

-I used to like Cole's heel act but he needs to turn it down a few notches. Just stop shouting!

-It's nice that King can still put on a good match, but having him beat your champ look bad, I don't care if he's a heel. Lawler is a 61 year old man who hasn't wrestled regularly in years. I'm guessing they're building up to a retirement angle at Wrestlemania.

-Anyone notice Punk bleeding quite a bit from his nose? And that he licked the dry blood on his sleeve when he came to the ring later? Seems kinda un-PG, especially when they don't allow blading anymore and stop matches to patch up any bleeding.

-They're making the 2.21.11 thing so obvious it's The Undertaker. That's fine and all, but they really had some people going that it was going to be Sting for a bit.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Steamboat just meshed perfectly with Rude. Well, and Flair. And Savage. And Austin. And Orndorff. And even Luger.

(... let's just say that Steamboat's awesome and leave it at that.)

That ironman is the ONLY time that the dumbshit Bill Watts rule changes made any sense, because it made sense for Rude to trade a fall in exchange for a fall in return and damage to Steamboat. HHH did the same spot, albeit with the more direct approach of using a chair, in the 2000 match with Rock (that also had some really great long-term continuity back to 1997, which is why I loved it so much).

Taylor's criminally underrated. He had an AWESOME match with Savage on Raw in 1993 that hardly anyone remembers because his WWF comeback was so odd to begin with. We all know why his career never panned out (hint: it rhymes with Ted Booster), but I always liked watching him on WCW C-shows and such.

Only caught the first and last segments of Raw due to other TV. Weirdly dead crowd - was everyone still hung over from the Super Bowl?

Back onto the Ironman bent - I found that I had the Brock / Angle one saved on my external drive, so I watched a bit of that while working out. It was interesting, but annoying, that they did a fall during a commercial break. It lent authenticity to the match (because they did have to go to commercial breaks, obviously, and it made sense that something significant would eventually happen during one of them), but I'm not sure if it made for the best presentation to the viewer. Both guys used to be so mindblowingly awesome, though. I know it's best for Angle to be working the TNA schedule, but... it's just a shame to see him stuck there for the past four years.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Brock was good? Hmm. I don't think I saw a single wrestling program during the years when he was around. I just assumed he was a typical WWF/E boring big man with awful mic skills, except maybe with some "amateur" flourishes thrown in (like that thing where a guy lays belly-to-back on another dude and pivots spastically around an axis somewhere near his navel).
Old 02-08-2011, 07:21 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Oh, sweet lord, you need to watch Brock's stuff now. vs. Rocky at Summerslam (absolutely fascinating match on so many different levels; I think it was on Vintage Collection* a couple months ago), vs. Taker in HIAC (awesome, bloody match that was also Taker's semi-return to form after two years of near-constant suckage with the Biker gimmick), vs. Angle at WM (complete with the birth of The Legend of Indestructible Brock) and SummerSlam.

And, of course, the final title loss to Eddie which is one of my favourite matches of all time, although tremendously bittersweet in retrospect because getting the title was in no way a good thing for Eddie on a psychological level.

There's also some great Smackdown stuff vs. Mysterio and Benoit, although watching the latter match is difficult for obvious reasons. Just avoid Brock / Cena, as it's this weird feeling of watching Sting v. Vader, only if Vader was the face and Sting was the heel (and had no idea what he was doing yet).

* - By far the best TV show WWE produces these days.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

God, it's been ages since I've watched a Brock match, but yeah he was great. Not great on the mic, but a fantastic wrestler. He accomplished a lot in his short career.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:12 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
getting the title was in no way a good thing for Eddie on a psychological level.
Explain.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:27 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid Brand View Post
Explain.
He put too much pressure on himself to carry half the company when he got it and, when Smackdown's ratings tumbled during his reign (which wasn't his fault; Brock had left, Benoit had moved to Raw, Taker was working a partial schedule and Angle was hurt - Eddie was basically the last main event guy standing as WWE looked to bolster Raw, which had stunk for the prior 12 months), he took it very badly, and his demons started catching up to him again. 15 months later, he was dead; sure, most of the damage had already been done, but from mid-04 onwards things were going downhill.

Quote:
God, it's been ages since I've watched a Brock match, but yeah he was great. Not great on the mic, but a fantastic wrestler. He accomplished a lot in his short career.
The best thing about Brock is that a switch basically flipped in his head during the Rock match and he was awesome from that point forwards. His prior PPV matches with RVD, for instance, weren't great at all.

But, then, RVD sucks, so maybe that was the problem.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentSnake View Post
Also, damn, never ever EVER name the wrong city if you're a face.
That was hilarious and I'm sure R Truth will get ribbed for that for a long time. I loved Cole ripping into him cause I'm pretty sure that was a Vince demand and it was just so over the top. The crowd chanting Milwaukee was the cherry on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorS View Post

-Anyone notice Punk bleeding quite a bit from his nose? And that he licked the dry blood on his sleeve when he came to the ring later? Seems kinda un-PG, especially when they don't allow blading anymore and stop matches to patch up any bleeding.
Definitely looked like his nose was broken in the scuffle with Orton. It added greatly to an awesome segment where WWE actually acknowledged something they did more than a week ago which is always a bonus.

The blood definitely wasn't intentional though cause that's been a rule during the PG era (and Punk looked annoyed as hell after it happened), but there's not much you can do about a slight mishap during a live program (although I guess they could have a ref interrupt what's going on to try and stop the bleeding/cover it up like they did in that PPV match a while back).

Quote:

Only caught the first and last segments of Raw due to other TV. Weirdly dead crowd - was everyone still hung over from the Super Bowl?
They definitely came alive when Truth botched the city they were in and for the Vicki/Cena confrontation (it's so sad that Ziggler was basically invisible during this).
Old 02-10-2011, 02:22 PM
Entourage of Her Grace

Hey guys, I know there are a lot of you here who probably don't visit the Meatspace Games forum, so I thought I'd post something quick here...

... I'm trying to gauge interest in starting a Talking Time Wrestling League. I mean, a virtual one, where we make up ridiculous wrestlers and have fake feuds. Details are sparse right now, but I'm hoping with enough interest and manpower we can find a game/system that works, and then we can go have some fun.

The thread I've started is here. Thanks!

- Eddie
Old 02-11-2011, 09:55 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
The blood definitely wasn't intentional though cause that's been a rule during the PG era (and Punk looked annoyed as hell after it happened), but there's not much you can do about a slight mishap during a live program (although I guess they could have a ref interrupt what's going on to try and stop the bleeding/cover it up like they did in that PPV match a while back).
That was the Christian / Benjamin ladder match, right? God, that was annoying since the match was really good on either side of it.

I think it's that they can get away with a stoppage on PPV, but TV's so tightly timed out that stopping any hardway blood would result in the entire show being screwed up.
Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
That was the Christian / Benjamin ladder match, right? God, that was annoying since the match was really good on either side of it.

I think it's that they can get away with a stoppage on PPV, but TV's so tightly timed out that stopping any hardway blood would result in the entire show being screwed up.
I believe that was one and I'm pretty sure it happened during a Cena match too and he just had the most annoyed "this is ridiculous" look on his face ever. I don't think they've tried a stoppage again since that incident, but outside of Wrestlemania I haven't seen a full PPV in a few years.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Peeper

So uh, did anyone watch Raw tonight?

It ended pretty well. Let's just say that.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:48 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

I was watching Bryan / Miz while on the phone with Faye and was trying SO HARD not to yelp / cheer at the awesomeness since she's not aware of my wrestling fan background and it's something I like to keep hidden.

Just give Bryan 15 minutes every week and Raw will be a better show for it. The Josh Barnett-esque "SUBMISSION WRESTLING" t-shirt was pretty awesome as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 07:03 AM
Good to the Last Drop

so do people really cheer for the Miz?
Old 02-15-2011, 07:41 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

What?? The midget gave chocolates to the 14-year-old girl? But the midget is a fucking grown man! Don't they know that a grown man making romantic overtures to a 14-year-old is nasty as hell, even if the grown man is short? What are they thinking?

Also, Bryan Danielson is the only wrestler I like.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:44 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxflyer5 View Post
I like the guy, and I think he'll be cheered at WM against Cena because half the WM crowd (the hardcore travelling fans) always HATE Cena. He's getting much better in the ring, although, if the Rumble was anything to go by, they need to just give up on having him in the ring with Orton, who has no chemistry with anyone as a face.

I'm trying to remember if I like Elimination Chamber matches enough to bother downloading the PPV on Sunday. I know I loved the one that was like Benoit / Jericho / Orton / HHH / Batista / Kane (?) just before Batista's face turn, but I can't remember a great one beyond that. Having two on one show just seems like overkill.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Good to the Last Drop

Quote:
I like the guy, and I think he'll be cheered at WM against Cena because half the WM crowd (the hardcore travelling fans) always HATE Cena. He's getting much better in the ring, although, if the Rumble was anything to go by, they need to just give up on having him in the ring with Orton, who has no chemistry with anyone as a face.
interesting. i just have a hard time taking a Real World alumnus seriously.

i dont watch too much now, but every so often i get sucked in. a lot of the characters are ridiculous, like Primo and Carlito. but i like some of the holdovers from the 90s (and earlier) like Triple H.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:15 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorS View Post
So uh, did anyone watch Raw tonight?

It ended pretty well. Let's just say that.
Noooooooooooo!

He had it in the bag! He became a huge star, and then got the hell out of there when he was barely 30, which is an amazing career turn for a pro wrestler. I know he probably wanted to become the next Arnold, and I know it must have been a huge disappointment for him that the era of the superhuman action hero ended right as he was poised to grab the throne, but god dammit, Dwayne Johnson, why this? You're not even 40! You could have waited it out and caught the next wave! And if not, you could have at least kept your dignity!

When he said he was back and "never going away", I really hope he was alluding to some kind of long-term promotional contract where they use his image and he pops up every now and again for a special event or a one-off marquee match. If he returns to the active roster, that will be a sadness.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Don't worry, it's not a roster return. They'll probably just use him once in a while for guest spots, but his knee's too gummed up to even really do a match.

I think they need to have Rock as guest ref for Cena / Miz, which won't have enough juice behind it otherwise since Miz' big feud is with Lawler, not Cena, and that's obviously getting taken care of this weekend when Riley costs Lawler the match.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Peeper

Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily want The Rock returning to the active roster either, it's just I felt last night was exceptionally well done. The buildup to his appearance was great, and so was his remixed theme. The man is such a great talker, though he has a habit of relying too much on his catch phrases, but either way the crowd eats it up. Compare Rock's promo to Cena's promo at the beginning of the show and you'll see what I mean.

I'm glad he was able to break into film and I hope he keeps having success there. Still, it was nice to see he's willing to do something for wrestling fans even though he's rightfully moved on. After all, he wouldn't be the star he is if it weren't for wrestling.

I'm hoping for a guest ref match as well, and sporadic appearances after that.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:29 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Cena's problem is that no one's ever taught him to just say no to the writers, so he winds up spouting all their horrible "comedy" lines without editing.

Whereas Rock famously just tossed and re-did out entire promos on the fly, because he's the Rock and he was that fucking awesome.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM
Venturing into ads!

Quote:
I was watching Bryan / Miz while on the phone with Faye and was trying SO HARD not to yelp / cheer at the awesomeness since she's not aware of my wrestling fan background and it's something I like to keep hidden.
I do this all the time. Takes awhile before I'm honest/trusting enough to tell someone that I'm a wrestling fan. Meanwhile, I can pretty much admit to anything else in my life...like still watching cartoons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxflyer5 View Post
Yes. He was pretty awful at first, but that just helped his credibility when he actually became good and is consistently one of the best on the mic in making people boo him.
Quote:
I'm trying to remember if I like Elimination Chamber matches enough to bother downloading the PPV on Sunday. I know I loved the one that was like Benoit / Jericho / Orton / HHH / Batista / Kane (?) just before Batista's face turn, but can't remember a great one beyond that. Having two on one show just seems like overkill.
Have you seen the original? Survivor Series 2002 if I remember correctly, but that's the only memorable Chamber match I've seen. Granted they've never had the same kind of draw as say Hell In A Cell when that was fresh and have felt more like a gimmick, so that might contribute to my feelings on the match as well.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Kinda like rap noise-pop

I love The Rock.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:19 PM
Just Talking Meat

I saw the Rock's return on youtube this morning and marked out like I was 5 years old. He was born to be in the ring and he might be better at cutting promos than anyone that ever lived. It was the best wrestling moment I've seen since the Guerrero/Benoit celebration at WM 20. Which, um, didn't turn out that well, but still.

I hope he wrestles at some point, because otherwise the come back is a little empty. He's obviously too smart/rich to do the grind, but I'd love to see short feuds from time to time. I know he's got a bum knee, but he's not in the state that Steve Austin was at the end. However it plays out, I'll be watching RAW next Monday for the first time in 5 years. So glad to have The Rock back in my life.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacketh View Post
Have you seen the original? Survivor Series 2002 if I remember correctly, but that's the only memorable Chamber match I've seen. Granted they've never had the same kind of draw as say Hell In A Cell when that was fresh and have felt more like a gimmick, so that might contribute to my feelings on the match as well.
Yeah, but I was so pissed at the idiotic Brock / Show match finish (they inexplicably put the title on Show because it was one of those "we can't have a heel be cheered so he has to be made explicitly a face" situations that never ends up well, just like with Orton) that I wasn't really paying attention. I know that's the match where RVD crushed HHH's throat with the five star and Shawn won, but I remember not thinking Shawn was back to his old self until the Jericho match at WM that's one of my personal favourites.

There's apparently an anthology of Chamber matches out there on DVD, but... I don't know, that's a LOT of one match type to take. I still say they need to add a couple extra pods and just do Wargames with it one year, since it's pretty much perfect. Again, that's another thing that I'm sure will happen when HHH takes over, since he's pushed to do that for years but Vince's anti-NWA bias always kicks in.

We ought to just turn this into a match recommendation thread. I never would have left the house if we'd had YouTube during the 98-01 boom.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:58 AM
Venturing into ads!

Shawn was pretty good in the best of 3 falls match with hhh in dec. 02 but yeah that match with Jericho was where he finally kicked it up to having a great singles match again without any gimmicks to lean on and without the "he's returned from a broken back, its amazing he can move" that was being pushed back then.

It was pretty frustrating they took the belt off lesnar back then...that cut off a lot of momentum (as did the brand split since that was a time I didn't get upn or whatever other minor channel it was on then).
Old 02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
REFRIGERATOR STAY EMPTY

Quote:
that's another thing that I'm sure will happen when HHH takes over, since he's pushed to do that for years but Vince's anti-NWA bias always kicks in.
How is this known?
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Venturing into ads!

Dirtsheets
Old 02-16-2011, 11:05 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacketh View Post
Dirtsheets
Well, I'd put Meltzer above that, but, yeah. HHH wanted to do War Games at least twice (Alliance v WWE in 2001 to end the feud, and some variant on it in 2004 when it was Benoit & some combination of faces v Evolution) and Vince shot him down both times.

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron