The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-18-2017, 03:49 AM
Too Much TV Game

I was apparently too dim until the very last moment to go...hey, WAIT A SECOND to see the ending. And that might have made it better in the long run. It's not like they didn't try to push the joke in front of you - they showed the date on the screen multiple times!
Old 03-18-2017, 11:09 AM
kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
I honestly have half a mind to make the 90-minute drive to Buffalo just to go to a KFC and buy the chicken that Enzo fucked at the Royal Rumble in order to reward that fine company for apparently funding this.
I had some of that chicken the other day. It'd real good! I got the chicken straps version.

Also that video series is incredible.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:45 AM
Is there not one thing

I fell into a NWA territory clickhole last night and these fucking nerds made the deepest of deep cuts in Southpaw. Who the fuck remembered Teijo Khan in This Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Seventeen? Luke Gallows, apparently.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:55 AM
Oily Butt Thing

there are now extensive Southpaw Regional Wrestling CAW efforts on YouTube, complete with busted VHS video filters

shitty automated Cole/Lawler commentary kinda ruins it though
Old 03-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Is there not one thing

If you don't have the wherewithal to overlay fake skype commentary then I got no time for ya pal
Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
If you don't have the wherewithal to overlay fake skype commentary then I got no time for ya pal
This sounds like someone volunteering.

Quote:
shitty automated Cole/Lawler commentary kinda ruins it though
It's remarkable how the game commentary somehow is still worse than the real life versions, when Cole's so programmed that he sounds like a video game announcer at times.

Not to mention that, from the looks of it, they're just assigning random commentary bits to moves rather than recording new stuff, as that move Flair was doing wasn't a camel clutch.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:07 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Random episode of Championship Wrestling From Florida, 1986-ish.

Observations:

- HOLY SHIT YOUNG MUTA. Watch in awe, all those unaware. That's the second Prince Iaukea across from him (no relation to the WCW version according to Cagematch, but somehow I doubt that); apparently the name and title are passed down like they're the Hawaiian Phantom (the first one is also all over this show). Anyway, it's as fast-paced a match as you're likely to get in 1986 before Muta fucks his shit up with his measuring-stick handspring elbow, plancha, and moonsault. The guy was a first-ballot hall of famer and I think he still didn't reach his potential.

- Lex Luger (sorry - LUGAR) goes over Hector Gurerro and amazingly doesn't get THAT blown up in the process. I can only assume that Dusty (or whomever was in charge of Florida by this point) had Luger living in a bunker under the arena with no phone lines because I still don't know how Vince didn't scoop him up within weeks of this.

- Then the Kevin Sullivan / Billy Graham purifying himself in the desert angle starts. We have covered this often.

- Kendall Windham shows up and is skinnier than Luna. And it's not close.

- Some footage of what I presume was a ***** match between Flair and Barry, just to make Kendall feel worse.

- Then Blackjack Mulligan beats a pair of lucha jobbers to see us out.

It's fun, but then it's even better if you squint and realise that at least 50% of this show could've been directly ported into Southpaw Championship Wrestling without any problems.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:42 PM
kill

Southpaw Regional Wrestling. Not championship.

Correction aside, I enjoy that post and will read every single other one you post.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Is there not one thing

I am legit salty that Bruno Mars used the line "I will break these chains that bind me" forever rendering it a giant pain in the nuts to find that Superstar promo.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:53 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I am legit salty that Bruno Mars used the line "I will break these chains that bind me" forever rendering it a giant pain in the nuts to find that Superstar promo.

Seven minute mark.

Meanwhile, look what I found:

I'd never seen this one of the WCW / NJPW shows. Starts off with Liger / Dragon (great, of course), then you get Ron Simmons vs the future Ludvig Borga. Next is Dustin and Scott Norton (okay....) vs Hashimoto and Mr. Saito (replacing Inoki, per JR). Then Chono / Muta, which is great as always and serves to correct the MASSIVE mistake made by putting the NWA title on Chono in mid-92.

Then Eric Bischoff, who's a couple weeks away from taking over the company if memory serves, takes over for a random six man that has a godawful finish.

Main event is Sting / Hase, which wasn't the main event in real life, but it's a WCW broadcast and you can guess who goes over. Another fun match, although they probably should've just run Sting / Vader because it's not like Tokyo wouldn't have eaten that up with a spoon.

Last edited by Sven; 03-20-2017 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
The guy was a first-ballot hall of famer and I think he still didn't reach his potential.
I dunno how a guy can be a marquee talent for three decades and not reach his potential. That's like saying you hope Tanahashi reaches the next level.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:11 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I dunno how a guy can be a marquee talent for three decades and not reach his potential. That's like saying you hope Tanahashi reaches the next level.
Kinda? Like, if Tanahashi's knees had betrayed him in 2011 but he still hung around the top of the cards for another decade.

I guess the North American equivalent is Kurt Angle, although his problems were more widely distributed.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Mid-85 Maple Leaf Gardens show.

For context, Toronto had an important enough place in the WWF's national expansion that we got our own TV broadcasts, much like you'd get with MSG / Boston Garden / the Spectrum / etc. Except unlike those, you'd occasionally get a big angle, which is what happens here.

- Lanny Poffo / Adrian Adonis is (believe me) a better opener than you'd get on most MLG shows of the era, especially the last minute as Adonis reminds everyone why he was an amazing bumper for someone so routund. Plus, his finisher was about 10 years ahead of its time. Adonis would kind of float around for a while before the reinvention as Adorable Adrian over the next year.

- Holy crap, pre-blonde Dino Bravo rocking an RCMP gimmick. The WWF would give it a try with Dino as the "Canadian Heavyweight Champion" over the next year, but he was obviously badly miscast as a babyface. On the other hand, his atomic-drop-into-back-suplex move is in Fire Pro, so you can duplicate him easily.

- And then the biggest babyface on the first half of the show turns up. Except it's the Macho Man, who was already over in an insane manner in Toronto. It's early enough that he doesn't have Liz yet (that would change before the next show)

- Now the big storyline of the show starts, as King Kong Bundy shows up without his manager Jimmy Hart to avalanche Jose Luis Rivera in short order. He demands and gets a five count, but does not dance like Big E.

- Cousin Junior makes his debut... I can't even. Look, it's the worse clone of Hillbilly Jim. And then Uncle Elmer shows up. Listen, not ALL MLG programming was important, ok? I'm actually kind of surprised by the ending, as Elmer wins his match with a legdrop. The legdrop would basically become a banned move around this time and no one got to use it in their matches, certainly not as a finisher, until the early 90s (like, Bret would occasionally toss one in, but even then it was just a basic move).

- Back to the big angle, as Andre goes for revenge against Big John Studd after Studd and Patera had shaved Andre's head. It's... not as bad as some Andre / Studd matches I've seen? Anyway, the ending comes with Andre slamming Studd (I think the $10,000 angle had been dropped by this point), but Bundy runs in, cementing his place in Heenan family. Studd actually throws a pretty hilarious tantrum on the MLG ramp on the way out.

Anyway, Studd and Bundy would be regular tag partners for a long time after this, and Andre wound up recruiting Hogan to team against them. That match main evented an early SNME and drew a gigantic enough rating that NBC made SNME into a regular thing.

- Oh, no, more hillbill... wait, that's a HEEL hillbilly. Rick McGraw beats him in the nacho break match.

(Mmmmm, molten MLG nacho cheese... guaranteed to burn your mouth.)

- And now that the angles are done, time for the actual workers to bring the show home. The Killer Bees v the Hart Foundation isn't one of their better efforts, but it's worth a watch. Bret boinks Blair with an international object to end it.

- Terry Funk vs JYD is great not just for the match (which is Funk carrying JYD to as good a match as you're going to see out of him after 1983), but the finishing spot. I'm not going to spoil it.

- The main event is Steamboat going for revenge against Muraco. Just textbook babyface Steamboat. Weird finish as Fuji interferes; I could've sworn all of these matches ended with Steamboat going over after reversing a sunset flip.

No Bulldogs, Tito, or Hogan, but about as good a card as you're likely to get out of the WWE in this time period even with an astonishing three separate hillbilly gimmick matches. Vince gotta Vince.

Note - I wasn't at this show. But... stay tuned.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:52 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Who the fuck remembered Teijo Khan in This Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Seventeen? Luke Gallows, apparently.
Circling back around to this, I suspect that one is due to the Alvarez and Verhei reviews of old NWA on the Observer website, since he popped up quite a bit last year.

I mean... that's still the only explanation as to why the Headbangers made WWE television in 2016.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:02 AM
..and his little cat, too

I'm still happy we got NXT Takeover Toronto, but still disappointed that we lost NXT at what used to be Maple Leaf Gardens in the process.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:08 AM
Is there not one thing

How is NXT doing with Chris Hero anyway? Since the NJPW crew left I haven't really been following.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:13 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Had a good match with Bobby Roode last week (albeit while cosplaying as a member of the 1977 ABA All-Star team), but other than that, not much.

He's probably there to transition into a trainer / agent role a la Finlay.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Is there not one thing

Weird that they would hotshot him like that. I understand he's an old 37, so I'd buy they have him in there to back up Finlay and Bloom.

I think the only NXT guy I'm really paying attention to is No Way Jose, who is fun as hell but will have to break out of being New Day Lite before too long.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM
concern troll

Man, ever since Smackdown broke off and became the better main show I really haven't been watching weekly NXT in ages.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:10 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Jose's got that NXT curse of having a great entrance before being a great all-around character.

But, yeah, developmental's been cleaned out quite a bit. Itami might finally be coming back and the right time to have an impact, but knowing his luck they'll sign someone great as his temporary tag partner and he'll be overshadowed again.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:09 AM
Is there not one thing

Word is that Itami's been ready to go for some time. Not sure if that's a sign they have specific plans for him, or a sign that they have no idea what to do.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:02 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Word is that Itami's been ready to go for some time. Not sure if that's a sign they have specific plans for him, or a sign that they have no idea what to do.
He tweaked his neck a couple of months ago - he just got back in the ring two or three weeks back.

To McClain's point - 205 Live, for all its flaws, also badly sucks up some oxygen that used to sustain NXT on a week-to-week basis (although I agree that Smackdown being great most weeks is the much bigger reason that it's not as must-watch as it used to be). Add, say, the Neville / Ali and Nese / Perkins matches from last night to tomorrow's NXT and you've got a much more well-rounded show.

Speaking of Smackdown - holy shit is the Miz / Maryse Total Bellas parody funny. Not SRW funny, but funny:

(Apologies, couldn't find an official clip. But "IT'S TO SCALE" owns, as does Maryse in the Nikki outfit.)
Old 03-22-2017, 11:08 AM
concern troll

I'm annoyed that 205 live is sucking the cruiser weight division away from Raw.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:20 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Better that it does, or else Vince would inevitably succumb to using the CWs as job guys on Raw. By giving them their own show, he isn't mixing them up with the bigger wrestlers.

They just need to tape it before SD, unless it's a West Coast show and the schedule just doesn't allow it to start at 4PM or whatever it works out to.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:24 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default Tangentially related but I think all y'all will enjoy

Dropping this in here for Shakewell:

Old 03-22-2017, 02:28 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Maryse in the Nikki Bella outfit. At the risk of sounding boorish, (places palm of left hand on underside of right elbow and raises right arm with first clenched) Gorrrrrr!
Old 03-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Oily Butt Thing

robbi rodriguez (of spider-gwen fame) did a cover illo of finn balor for the boom studios wwe comic and I thought it was pretty neat:

Old 03-23-2017, 01:58 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
He tweaked his neck a couple of months ago - he just got back in the ring two or three weeks back.

To McClain's point - 205 Live, for all its flaws, also badly sucks up some oxygen that used to sustain NXT on a week-to-week basis (although I agree that Smackdown being great most weeks is the much bigger reason that it's not as must-watch as it used to be). Add, say, the Neville / Ali and Nese / Perkins matches from last night to tomorrow's NXT and you've got a much more well-rounded show.

Speaking of Smackdown - holy shit is the Miz / Maryse Total Bellas parody funny. Not SRW funny, but funny:

(Apologies, couldn't find an official clip. But "IT'S TO SCALE" owns, as does Maryse in the Nikki outfit.)

And a bonus:

Old 03-23-2017, 06:13 AM
Oily Butt Thing

trigger warning: everything

Old 03-23-2017, 08:47 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
I think the only NXT guy I'm really paying attention to is No Way Jose, who is fun as hell but will have to break out of being New Day Lite before too long.
Well, WWE apparently is setting out to solve this problem by buying ROH (for the purposes of shutting it down and adding the video library, not because they actually want to have AAA (NXT) AA (ROH) and A (Evolve) minor league teams). Which would leave a whole bunch of guys with no where to go BUT NXT.

Tags
firebreaker chip , ice train , it's still real to me , lazertron