The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-28-2010, 11:21 PM
I say thee neigh

Default Excelsior, True Believers! The Mighty Marvel Movie Thread

Because really, do we need seperate threads for
-Thor
-Captain America
-Avengers
-Iron Man 3
-Any potential sequels to Cap or Thor
-X-Men: First Class
-Spider-Man: We Started Over And This Time We Made It For Less Than 100 Million Dollars
-The potential cosmic characters they're talking about doing movies for (Infinity Gauntlet was at Comic-con
-Etc

To start the thread on a high note, here's the trailer for Thor that was shown at Comic-Con. I liked it! Kinda reminded me of 80s/early 90s scifi, which is probably a bad thing for some people, but yo fuck Avatar and da prequel Trilogy son
Old 07-28-2010, 11:50 PM
Follow the fuck-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by onimaruxlr View Post
-Thor
-Captain America
-Avengers
-Iron Man 3
-Spider-Man: We Started Over And This Time We Made It For Less Than 100 Million Dollars
-The potential cosmic characters they're talking about doing movies for (Infinity Gauntlet was at Comic-con
-Etc

To start the thread on a high note, here's the trailer for Thor that was shown at Comic-Con. I liked it! Kinda reminded me of 80s/early 90s scifi, which is probably a bad thing for some people, but yo fuck Avatar and da prequel Trilogy son
topless robot apparently asked some marvel dudes about the infinity gauntlet and they said that it is just going to be a cameo in Odin's trophy hall.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:51 PM
Conquers the World

I still choose to be optimistic for the Spider-man reboot just because I disliked a lot of Raimi's take on the franchise and I want somebody else to have a turn.

Thor looks totally badass though. But there's only one thing that could make it perfect. Oh well, there's always the sequel.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:09 AM
This Guy

I am excited for Thor to an unhealthy degree. I can't wait to be disappointed by what in my mind is easily the best superhero movie ever. The best part'll be when he smacks something with his hammer. Every time Thor wrecks something or someone with Mjolnir will be the best part.

I could care less about the rest right now, though I bet I go see most of them.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Condiment connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I still choose to be optimistic for the Spider-man reboot just because I disliked a lot of Raimi's take on the franchise and I want somebody else to have a turn.
This, here. Also, I'd like to see a cameo by a random Marvel character--most likely the Hulk or Cap.
Quote:
Thor looks totally badass though. But there's only one thing that could make it perfect. Oh well, there's always the sequel.
Exactly. He'll punch Loki around for the first movie, and then afterward we get all the really cool stuff.

And Badger, the best part of Thor will be when he hits anybody with anything while he is Thor, not super-built Donald Blake.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:13 AM
Cranky Geezer In Training

The design is sort of odd. It looks like they're going for a mix between the classic wackiness of the Marvel Norse pantheon (Loki's "what do you mean I'm overcompensating?" horned helmet, etc) and a more modern look (several of the armor suits look like someone took armor out of [insert Halo-wannabe FPS here] and stuck a cape on), and I can't decide if the end result is ok, or really annoying.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
And Badger, the best part of Thor will be when he hits anybody with anything while he is Thor, not super-built Donald Blake.
I'm not even sure they're using Don Blake. I think they might be basing his earth form on Simonson's version, in which he basically had the worst secret identity ever.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:23 AM
Condiment connoisseur

"Hello girly-man, I am beeg Norse man named Thor?"
Old 07-29-2010, 02:49 AM
kevin, tix, five

Quote:
-Thor
-Captain America
-Avengers
-Iron Man 3
-Etc

Movies coming out anywhere from a six months to years apart? Yeah, I'd argue you do need new threads. Or hey, maybe let's just have one thread about movies, cause they're all movies, right?

But anyway, fun trailer.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:53 AM
A Real Man

what dvd covers will you go for

holographic

or embossed foil
Old 07-29-2010, 03:52 AM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymooo View Post
He who wields the hammer is Thor. It says so right on the brick on a stick.

And I am glad they are using the classic hammer and not the Ultimate one.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:37 AM
Hawkguy

Some screen caps from the Comic-Con Thor trailer

hee hee hee
Old 07-29-2010, 06:55 AM
Hawkguy

Here's the Thor trailer! Watch it while it's still up!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM
Not a Beer

I dunno, that trailer totally failed to grab me. Of course, I'm not a huge Marvel fan, so I'm not the intended audience of a Comic-Con reveal. I'm still interested in Avengers, but I'm not sure if I'll bother going out for Thor.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Thor always struck me as a bit too esoteric to make a movie - you either go with the "Captain Marvel Lite" characterisation of a cripple who turns himself into a god and is a full-on superhero, or the Simonson "War amongst the demigods" version.

Blending the two is weirder, especially as this is the most obvious "listen, we know you have no idea who the hell this is but we need to establish him in order to do an Avengers movie" project of the bunch.

But, again, I don't really care about Thor. I'm far more interested in Cap, even if I'm a bit worried that they're going to focus it more on WWII than his modern version.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:38 AM
It's all good, man

Having actually read some Thor comics recently, I'm more interested in the movie than I was a few months ago, though I could see it easily going off the rails.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:32 AM
Follow the fuck-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
But, again, I don't really care about Thor. I'm far more interested in Cap, even if I'm a bit worried that they're going to focus it more on WWII than his modern version.
You are the only person I have heard voicing unhappiness that they are focusing on ww2 cap. All of the best Captain America stories come from that period.

And while I enjoyed the thor trailer, I wish I hadn't watched it and I am going to avoiding any commercials for it in the future. Based on what marvel did with Iron Man 2, they need to stop showing SO DAMN MUCH in trailers and commercials. There was literally not a single action scene in Iron Man 2 that wasn't spoiled for me by them making a boring time watching the film. With the thor trailer it looks like just summed up all 3 acts of the movie for me and it doesnt even come out till next may! When did movie trailers become acts of showing the entire film instead of just a tease?
Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Not a Beer

It's true, geek property advertising seems to have devolved into two things, both of which are pretty terrible - the "teaser", which tells you absolutely nothing about the work in question and exists only to whip the hardcore fanbase into a froth discussing the possibilities, and the long-form trailer, which basically includes snippets of every single good bit in the movie.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
To start the thread on a high note, here's the trailer for Thor that was shown at Comic-Con.
I just can't, for the life of me, shake off the notion that Mr. SHIELD Agent is played by the guy in New Adventures Of Old Christine. Especially since that's a HORRIBLE sitcom and everyone (including him) is dumb as a post in it. Even after his Iron Man role, I feel like I'm losing IQ points just listening to him.

But still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Having never read any Thor comics that didn't involve Power Pack or Hercules, I'm more interested in the movie than I ever was
Old 07-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Very punny.

I just lost some nerd points, because I have no idea who the giant metal lazer head guy is.

But that trailer looks awesome!
Old 07-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I like Starman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Possum View Post
I just lost some nerd points, because I have no idea who the giant metal lazer head guy is.

But that trailer looks awesome!
Destroyer! (basically a super powerful suit of armor enchanted by Odin)
Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM
Terrible confusion

I really like Thor a lot. Like, the only comics I get monthly are Spider-man and Thor. The trailer didn't really do much for me, but we'll see I guess.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:44 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
All of the best Captain America stories come from that period.
Yeah, I'm calling complete and utter BS on that one. Brubaker? Byrne? Waid? Stern (both his own title and the famous Avengers stuff)? Gru (before he ran out of stuff to say, admittedly, and started sticking Cap in armour or turning him into a werewolf)?

Hell, one of the best Cap stories ever is "Born Again" over in Daredevil.

Name me one great WWII Cap story that wasn't preceded by "Batman and...". I'll wait.

Cap's grounded in WWII, but he's a modern character.

(Unless you're Mark Millar and decide to turn him into a hateful quasi-bigot who's basically the angry old guy on the subway railing against everything modern who unfortunately happens to also be the deadliest man alive.)
Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM
This Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Yeah, I'm calling complete and utter BS on that one. Brubaker? Byrne? Waid? Stern (both his own title and the famous Avengers stuff)?
The only one of those I've really read is Brubaker and all of his best stuff is based in WWII.

I think the best way to do a Cap. Movie is 30 minutes or so of Cap getting her super-soldier serum and fighting in WWII followed by him being unearthed in modern times and playing up the man out of time element. With flashback to the war. It's old hat for the comics but I'm willing to bet the average moviegoer, who has read few or none Captain America comics, will eat it up. Just like Batman v Joker.

And that Thor trailer looks awesome. Although I'm disappointed that I did not see Balder anywhere. Also what are they going to do with both Sif and Jane Foster with no Don Blake?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Rawrther.

They confirmed though that the Cap movie begins and ends in modern times, but the bulk is set in WW2
Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM
The Shogun of Harlem

The Thor trailer looks an awful Shakespeare troupe cosplaying Thor fanfiction. Count me out.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:47 PM
Very punny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholai View Post
Destroyer! (basically a super powerful suit of armor enchanted by Odin)
Wait! It was in Ultimate Alliance, right? Nerd points regained!

I personally am holding out for Isaiah Mustafa as Luke Cage. Fuck yes, bitches.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
TT Pokemon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alixsar View Post
The Thor trailer looks an awful Shakespeare troupe cosplaying Thor fanfiction. Count me out.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Hawkguy

Quote:
Kenneth Braunagh is directing...
Old 07-29-2010, 04:06 PM
This Guy

Quote:
I whole heartedly disagree and will see the movie three extra times to make up for you not going.

Tags
brodude cinema , car door shield , cheadlicious , horny for spider-man , marvel , marvel cinematic universe , movies , parker posey as , stan lee cameo