The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-20-2017, 08:04 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
They had the plans too. They projected a very reasonable facsimile on their holographic display, right up to the incomplete sections, and also showing the equatorial trench conduits and the polar shafts.

...you know, maybe the Emperor should've leaked plans that showed the conduits running all the way through the Death Star, but then have those same conduits end at a thick wall in the real thing?
If the plans were half-assed they'd have suspected a trap, I guess.

That's right. So, they went in through the parts of the station that they knew for sure were flyable by the Falcon, essentially.

Oh, since this seems like the place for it: kudos to the Rebels team for the Obi-Wan v Maul fight scene from this past week's episode. It came across exactly as they apparently wanted it to: Obi-Wan had planned the duel over and over in his head for 20 years, and was mature enough to be patient and let Maul make the mistake.

Last edited by Sven; 03-20-2017 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
They had the plans too. They projected a very reasonable facsimile on their holographic display, right up to the incomplete sections, and also showing the equatorial trench conduits and the polar shafts.

...you know, maybe the Emperor should've leaked plans that showed the conduits running all the way through the Death Star, but then have those same conduits end at a thick wall in the real thing?
Sheev ain't much on hoisting people by their own petard. He seems to prefer mass violence, to the point that it feels like a central part of his character.

We never hear about secret police, but we see a planet killer. He doesn't arrest the Jedi, he has them massacred. When he learns the Rebels want to blow up DSII, he doesn't make a decoy or feed them false plans, he throws a bunch of troops at the problem.

I think Sheev genuinely likes it when people kill each other. Especially on his orders.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:30 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

There's something to be said for the fact that, until Rogue One, all of his elite force-projection / enforcement troopers wore white so that you'd see them coming.

Quote:
When he learns the Rebels want to blow up DSII, he doesn't make a decoy or feed them false plans, he throws a bunch of troops at the problem.
The Rebels were a side benefit of his plan, though. He was trying to corrupt Luke (and dump Vader in the process) first and foremost.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:40 AM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I think Sheev genuinely likes it when people kill each other. Especially on his orders.
Wipe them out. All of them.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Oh, since this seems like the place for it: kudos to the Rebels team for the Obi-Wan v Maul fight scene from this past week's episode. It came across exactly as they apparently wanted it to: Obi-Wan had planned the duel over and over in his head for 20 years, and was mature enough to be patient and let Maul make the mistake.
I loved that. It wasn't a spotlight-stealing epic duel of fate and destiny --it was short, brutal, and reflective of OBW and Maul's philosophies and preparation.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:55 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

It also kind of retroactively explains Obi-Wan's weird fighting style in Star Wars, although of course there he was more tying to provide a distraction than anything else (and was, what, five years older? I can never figure out where Rebels fits in the timeline, what with the Ghost showing up in Rogue One and all but then the Rebels having A-Wings....).
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM
Find Your Reason

Wookiepedia says that the latest events take place two years before ANH, which matches up with Leia's age --but then OBW watches a teeny tiny Luke from afar in this ep, which doesn't.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:04 AM
It's all good, man

Ezra's age is an indicator of how many years since Episode III Rebels takes place. So when it started it was 14 years later, and now it's like 16.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:13 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Ezra's age is an indicator of how many years since Episode III Rebels takes place. So when it started it was 14 years later, and now it's like 16.
Which is fair enough, however...

Quote:
Wookiepedia says that the latest events take place two years before ANH, which matches up with Leia's age --but then OBW watches a teeny tiny Luke from afar in this ep, which doesn't.
That breaks it. Leia and Luke are twins, f'r pete's sake!

(I'm honestly more offended at Rebels being literally the only place the Alliance has been shown flying A-Wings. Rogue One was *very* careful to have the Rebel fleet have the proper composition of equal numbers X-Wings and Y-Wings. Then again, A-Wings have always been treated weird, since they're apparently powered by engines powerful enough to disable an entire SSD upon impact....)
Old 03-20-2017, 09:27 AM
It's all good, man

I haven't seen the episode yet but a screencap on the wiki doesn't make it look like you can really tell how old Luke is supposed to be there.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 AM
Find Your Reason

It was both the size and that he was "skipping-running" the same way cartoon children often do.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:31 AM
oh my car

Girls experience puberty earlier than boys, usually. Boom.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
Girls experience puberty earlier than boys, usually. Boom.
... he's supposed to be 17ish. That's some delayed-onset puberty.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:30 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
*goes to wookieepedia*

So The Executor is a spaceship that is 19 kilometers long! That's nearly twelve miles! Why would you need a spaceship that big?

Quote:
With that said, the X-Wing books made it clear that the Empire realised they'd kind of screwed up in that an entire Star Destroyer was conceivably vulnerable to a couple dozen snubfighters and they'd begun building smaller ships to screen the ISDs.
Was this what taught them that lesson?

Quote:
... he's supposed to be 17ish. That's some delayed-onset puberty.
No wonder he's so whiny.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:23 PM
Highway To HFIL

Luke is very small in that scene because he is very far away
Old 03-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Remembers Love

I do like the personality blocking that goes on with Rebel pilots. X-Wing Pilots are earnest farm boys and weekend hot rodders. Y-Wing pilots are turbo-dorks. And the A-Wing pilots seem to be intense weirdos with a hell of a death drive. I'd love to know the selection process that goes into the latter. Hanging out in the seedier parts of Corellia and look for swoop racers that make constant eye contact with you during a drag?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:00 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
I thought he was supposed to be far, far away.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 PM

Luke is very small in that scene because you're used to seeing Bigger Luke
Old 03-21-2017, 05:29 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torzelbaum View Post

Was this what taught them that lesson?

Wait... why would a spaceship fall?

Everything else I can accept without question.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:37 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It's not falling, it's flying without style.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:50 AM
It's all good, man

It's being pulled by the moon's gravity?
Old 03-21-2017, 06:15 AM
concentrate

So here's my take / head-canon on the Force. Maybe it's old and/or not very interesting? Anyway. There's no "light side" or "dark side". The Force is "just" a magic-like energy that allows you to do pretty much anything if you're good enough at channeling it.

What are the Jedi then? They're a bunch of force-sensitive people who banded together for two original reasons:
1) Teach and learn how to use the Force better
2) Control other force-users so they won't go berserk and use their magic skills to wreak havoc

(Later on, as they noticed they're bunch of really powerful dudes and dudettes, they also became a political power and an army of super-powered commandoes.)

The first one should be pretty obvious, implemented with the master/padawan system.

The second one is seen in the way they recruit new members as young as possible - they didn't want Anakin because he was too old, so teaching him would be hard. They took him in anyway, because he had so much power and he needed to be contained. Maybe he would have been killed if Obi-Wan didn't feel sad for him. Maybe he should have been.

What do the Jedi teach? Self-control, detachment from desire. Force users are powder kegs waiting to explode and the Jedi want to prevent that. They want to stop force sensitives from getting mad and the best way they've found was getting them young and teaching them to keep cool at all costs.

What is the "dark side"? It's the underside of human nature and emotion. It's jealousy, hatred, hunger for power, lust and so on. It's giving in to your id and using your magic powers to kill, control, seduce and so on. The Force is powerful enough to stop death and create life and turns out this is not a good deal for the general populace of the galaxy. The Force isn't good or bad, but it allows you to do some really bad stuff.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:40 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
It's being pulled by the moon's gravity?
Yeah, that one's fairly normal physics at play, not Star Wars physics.

(Why it nosedives without any notable atmospheric drag... well, that's Star Wars physics at play, to produce the visual of the Executor arrowing into the surface of the Death Star.)

Quote:
I do like the personality blocking that goes on with Rebel pilots. X-Wing Pilots are earnest farm boys and weekend hot rodders. Y-Wing pilots are turbo-dorks. And the A-Wing pilots seem to be intense weirdos with a hell of a death drive. I'd love to know the selection process that goes into the latter. Hanging out in the seedier parts of Corellia and look for swoop racers that make constant eye contact with you during a drag?
I always had the Y-Wing guys as the X-Wing washouts, but that is probably due to all the jokes at their expense by Aaron Alston.

A-Wing pilots are the equivalent of Subaru WRX owners, I'd bet. They probably fit bigger exhausts onto the ships in spite of the fact that there's no noise in space.

(B-Wing pilots obviously are psychopaths who just want to blow big shit up, but are individualists who would chafe at having to do so from the bridge of a cruiser.)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:18 AM
Satanic Mechanic

Man Torzelbaum beat me to the Spaceballs reference.

Quote:
It's varied, I think. Apparently 33% bigger is the canon figure now.
Try new Galactic Empire Death Star II. You get 33% more FREE! NEW look, SAME great taste! Witness the firepower! Fully operational!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:57 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
The tachyon emitter in the deflector dish reverberated with the Death Star's antimatter converter and was pulled towards it. Since the positronic relay of the hyperdrive core at the back of the SSD still preserved regular orbit, it dragged behind, giving the impression that the ship "fell" into the Death Star when it was actually experiencing a neutro-magnetic cascade collapse.

Quote:
(B-Wing pilots obviously are psychopaths who just want to blow big shit up, but are individualists who would chafe at having to do so from the bridge of a cruiser.)
B-Wing pilots think everything revolves around them.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:08 AM
It's all good, man

Jesus, Zef
Old 03-21-2017, 08:43 AM
The Goggles do Nothing

Quote:
The tachyon emitter in the deflector dish reverberated with the Death Star's antimatter converter and was pulled towards it. Since the positronic relay of the hyperdrive core at the back of the SSD still preserved regular orbit, it dragged behind, giving the impression that the ship "fell" into the Death Star when it was actually experiencing a neutro-magnetic cascade collapse.
Like putting too much air in a balloon!
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Not a Beer

LTTP on the death-count video but I like how while most ship/transport/installation explosions add relatively round numbers from the dozens to the tens of thousands (presumably coming from avg crew counts in schematics), the two Death Star counts are 2,795,138 and 2,471,647.

Why do these numbers exist?

Oh, right, Star Wars nerds.

(Of course, this begs the question of why Alderaan's death count is just plain 2 billion.)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:46 PM
oh my car

Because arguments about how much blood is on Luke's hands are more appealing bait than arguments about how much blood is on Tarkin's.

Tags
an insane man flounders , bongobill fan club , darth snape , god bless bongo bill , i rebel , jar jar shot first , jizz-wailers , joseph campbell , manny both-hanz , max rebo , planet poppin' fun , scum and villainy , so wizard , space ghosts , star wars , stockholm syndrome , yub nub