The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 03-20-2017, 06:39 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
Plus two assassination droids where the high concept was "what if C-3PO and R2-D2 were evil dicks?"
The evil C-3PO was a Dark Horse thing long before the Vader series got to it, interestingly.

Also, a lot of the fun of the Vader series is that it treats him as the galaxy's most murderous diplomat, which is goddamn hilarious.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Now I've gotten to 70's era Fantastic Four in my read through of cheap Essentials trades. I got to say, it certainly doesn't re-invent the wheel, but Gerry Conway's run is REALLY fun. It helps a lot that there's a lot less characters sniping at each other like petulant children than a lot of these series, but it's just straight forward and fun superhero stuff. Also, as silly and nonsensical the plotline is, Submariner pretending to try to conquer the surface world in an attempt to get Reed and Sue back together is a weirdly sweet moment.

Also, Annihilus taught me the word vituperative. Got to try to use that more.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:47 PM
Mystery Contraption

Finished re-reading Knightfall which is pretty great when it's about an increasingly weary Batman in a boss-rush, and kind of loses its train of thought once Azrael takes over, as he is down-right impatient to go full on crazy-ass once he's declared Batman. The ridiculousness of the AzBats costume and the flowery poetry it inspires is well worth it, though.

Also, the mini-arc where Azrael teams up with Anarky to fight Scarecrow is pretty dang great, if only for the art.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:51 PM
It's all good, man

Any time Batman faces a gauntlet of classic foes is a good time.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:52 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
counterpoint: Hush.

the rule does mostly apply though.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:54 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

I think part of the weirdness of pacing the KnightsQuest section of it was that the Bat Office realised that, whoops, we did our giant mega-arc right when Superman was doing the same thing and they had to change the length of time AzBats was around (lengthened or shortened, can't remember which) to account for it.

The BEST part of the mess is that Marvel and DC each did a Batman / Punisher crossover that year. The first was with AzBats, so he and Frank were cool. By the time the second one rolled around, Bruce was back, and after basically going through an entire year's worth of storylines about why Batman isn't The Punisher things don't go well.

(Ah, back for a more innocent time when JR Jr on Batman was something special. Oh, well.)

Still, between Knightfall, Death of Superman, and Kingdom Come, DC did a pretty good job of punting a lot of popular comics characters in the allegorical crotch.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:02 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
As classic a gauntlet of foes as Zsasz or Cornelius Stirk would include
Old 03-23-2017, 03:05 PM
There he is!

Matt Wilson of War Rocket Ajax is doing a Kickstarter for a comic that's summarized as "what if every disaster happened at the same time?"
Old 03-23-2017, 04:22 PM
the :motion: stands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr82 View Post
Matt Wilson of War Rocket Ajax is doing a Kickstarter for a comic that's summarized as "what if every disaster happened at the same time?"
I'll be good goddamned if those stretch goals don't look like they're saying "if we get enough money, we replace the current artist with better and better artists at each tier"
Old 03-24-2017, 03:25 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Hey, Zsasz was in the Nolan movies, he's at least c tier.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:02 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Any time I read something about how Batman has the best villains in comics I remember Knightfall: Batman must face all his deadliest foes? Gee, I can't wait to see him take on Amygdala, or the John C. Calhoun looking motherfucker who turns into a gargoyle, or those three guys in bird masks whose names no one can remember!
Old 03-27-2017, 07:15 AM
Out Of Warranty

OK, this has convinced me that, somehow, Octo has managed to enslave the editors of DC Comics to make them create comic books that cater to his tastes.

A preview is available at CBR, but I guess we can ask Octo to give us some free copies?
Old 03-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Mystery Contraption

All I can promise is that I will use this power for Good, never Evil.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:06 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
or the John C. Calhoun looking motherfucker who turns into a gargoyle,
That particular nobody produced one of the cooler Batman covers ever, tho:

(That's John "Judge Dredd" Wagner, not Matt "Grendel" Wagner.. I don't think Matt's ever done a non-miniseries Batman story.)
Old 03-28-2017, 08:40 AM
Oily Butt Thing

yo sven, the new lazarus swear-to-god will be on the racks tomorrow

(I got to read it just now though)
Old 03-28-2017, 11:03 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
yo sven, the new lazarus swear-to-god will be on the racks tomorrow

(I got to read it just now though)
Pics or GTFO
Old 03-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Oily Butt Thing

also the SHE PERSISTED meme is already gettin kinda old but I thought Lark did a cool cover for Image's Women's History Month deal

Old 03-28-2017, 11:51 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

It probably was fresh when the book was supposed to ship.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:46 PM
Oily Butt Thing

so All-Star Batman and Robin is written by a dude who was at least at one point an avowed Randroid, but it reads like a kick in the teeth of the typical very Randian portrayal of Batman. normally we accept that Batman exists completely above the law because he's a demigod gifted with supreme intelligence, perfect reason, and unshakable self-control, but here he is an impulsive sadistic violence freak who maims felons because it gives him a hard-on, and the people inspired to fight crime alongside him are portrayed more like copycat serial killers.

it's totally nuts and I have no idea where it was supposed to go but it's not boring.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:41 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yeah, that's a book that goes oddly against the sensibilities of what you come to expect from a Snyder-written Batman. I dunno if it's actually GOOD (like, it sure as hell isn't as enjoyable as Zero Year), but it's vastly interesting.

Quiet week out of DC - aside from JLA, there was an absence of top-tier books (and Titans and Batgirl were both annuals rather than regular issues). I guess they wanted the focus to be on DK3?

The Titans Annual was odd, because it was a fun bit of "okay, we know we fucked up when we stopped doing stuff like this, here's one of those classic pair-off-the-legacy-characters JLA / Titans stories" and Abnett writes it well.

Then suddenly it was like "okay, we're out of pages, wrap this shit up posthaste" and the Key gets away without really even putting up a fight. But, hey, 20 pages of Dick and Wally bouncing off Bruce and Barry is never bad, even if Aquaman is grumpy and Wonder Woman's too busy ruining Donna Troy's life as an escape plan to be that relevant.

Just an oddly structured book, as though they had eight pages cut at the last minute.

Lazarus was fine, and kinda went where I figured it would since the Carlyle side has had things going their way for, what, 14 issues now? I didn't expect the Zmey to be 12 feet tall and invincible or whatever he was, but I appreciate that Russian pragmatism survives the collapse of human civilization. The Carlyles and their allies dick around with tissue regeneration and other fancy technology, the Russians just built the fucking Hulk and dropped him into battle.

Lark said that he's burned out and Rucka predictably blew a gasket about Trump in the letter column, so maybe the miniseries and the sourcebooks are coming at a good time to get everyone creatively recharged. Now might be a good time for Lark to pull a Jurgens and get someone else to finish over his rough breakdowns - it's not as though he needs to be doing 22 pages of finished art a month.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:08 PM
poisonous thread snake

Quote:
so All-Star Batman and Robin is written by a dude who was at least at one point an avowed Randroid, but it reads like a kick in the teeth of the typical very Randian portrayal of Batman. normally we accept that Batman exists completely above the law because he's a demigod gifted with supreme intelligence, perfect reason, and unshakable self-control, but here he is an impulsive sadistic violence freak who maims felons because it gives him a hard-on, and the people inspired to fight crime alongside him are portrayed more like copycat serial killers.

it's totally nuts and I have no idea where it was supposed to go but it's not boring.
You make this sound pretty interesting. I think every critical take on the comic I've read or heard was basically that it sucked because it wasn't the bland, angsty power fantasy the writer expected out of Batman.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:12 PM
This Guy

No, it is Frank Miller going from turning fascist subtext up to 11 to just making it text.

I've never been able to determine if it's intentionally or unintentionally funny. It is genuinely not good, but it is far from uninteresting.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosttaster View Post
You make this sound pretty interesting..
I would say read it if you can find a way to not pay money for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Lazarus was fine, and kinda went where I figured it would since the Carlyle side has had things going their way for, what, 14 issues now?
I thought it was very Gundam of them to croak the character who was clearly brought on at the beginning of the storyline to get croaked by the end. I forget, though, because of the glacial pace of the series: is this the first time we've seen that Joachim Morray is a Terminator or whatever?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
No, it is Frank Miller going from turning fascist subtext up to 11 to just making it text.
Speaking of text, there's his lovely script for Jim Lee. (NSFW like whoa)
Old 03-30-2017, 08:35 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
Speaking of text, there's his lovely script for Jim Lee. (NSFW like whoa)
That sequence goes on for like four pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascally Badger View Post
I've never been able to determine if it's intentionally or unintentionally funny.
It is at least self-aware, because once "Goddamn Batman" became a meme Miller started having characters say it in every other panel.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
That sequence goes on for like four pages.

It is at least self-aware, because once "Goddamn Batman" became a meme Miller started having characters say it on every other page.
That one page of notes has redeemed Frank Miller. Let him be rehabilitated and returned to society.

E: The "Goddamn Batman" scene is actually really good as I recall. Dick Grayson is sitting there thinking this corny motherfucker is completely off his nut and then Batman goes totally crazy because Dick doesn't recognize his #brand.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:48 PM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
E: The "Goddamn Batman" scene is actually really good as I recall. Dick Grayson is sitting there thinking this corny motherfucker is completely off his nut and then Batman goes totally crazy because Dick doesn't recognize his #brand.
Yeh. In context "Who the hell are you, anyway?" isn't an expression of confusion or ignorance so much as Dick calling out Bruce's shtick as an obvious put-on.

I would also like to see Miller's script notes for the scene where he presents Vicki and a shirtless Alfred Pennyworth looking like the cover of a bodice-ripping romance novel. Alfred as rendered by Jim Lee could model for Abercrombie and Fitch.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:57 PM
There he is!

I'm more concerned by Miller's take on Wonder Woman, honestly.

"You bastard! You bastard. I hate your guts. I hate your guts. You make me sick. You make me sick."
Old 03-30-2017, 09:08 PM
Oily Butt Thing

the Plastic Man gags in that scene are a hoot though.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 AM
Is there not one thing

It's a little of A a little of B there. Where A is Frank Miller can't write a woman to save his life and B is a clumsy callback to WW being a dude's longform femdom spank fantasy.

I get the joke, but the jury's out on whether it's one worth telling.

Tags
comics , demon bush , detective comics , detective comics comics , manga , marvel , paid comic book day