The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-20-2017, 01:55 PM
hourglass figure

It sucks that the Gerudo outfit can't be upgraded (also, a lot of the context adjacent to that sucks as well. Step it up, Nintendo) but this looks like an acceptable compromise for a femme Link that doesn't have paper-thin defense:

If I manage to find the last great fairy and upgrade the "voe" pants to four stars I might replace the diamond tiara back with the veil for the ultimate Gerudo look.

(I could also "git gud" and never get hit, but that's not a realistic goal for me!)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:51 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

There is definitely some kind of a hidden enemy levelling system. More of the white enemies are showing up in places where they never would have before.

This is also effectively a hidden levelling system for your weapons, as well. An encampment I used to visit after bloodmoons because it was one of the earliest places to spawn bokoblins with knight swords now spawns white bokoblins with royal swords.

I wonder what triggers this.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Combat shrine clears, maybe?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:57 PM
meaningless Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
There is definitely some kind of a hidden enemy levelling system. More of the white enemies are showing up in places where they never would have before.

This is also effectively a hidden levelling system for your weapons, as well. An encampment I used to visit after bloodmoons because it was one of the earliest places to spawn bokoblins with knight swords now spawns white bokoblins with royal swords.

I wonder what triggers this.
My guess is it goes by number of Divine Beasts completed, because I didn't notice a single one of those white bokoblins until I finished all 4.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:59 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juno500 View Post
My guess is it goes by number of Divine Beasts completed, because I didn't notice a single one of those white bokoblins until I finished all 4.
Hmmm.

I still only have 3 down, and I'm seeing a lot of them.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM
meaningless Code

Maybe it's a combination of things then?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM
Howling forever oh oh

Divine Beasts seems like a likely place to start looking. I'd also consider the number of container hearts Link has. More hearts, harder enemies?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 PM
one zero zero one SOS

I think it might be Shrine completion, which makes sense considering Shrine completion is directly tied to your strength (stamina or hearts). Could very well be Spirit Orb total + Heart Containers from Divine Beast completions.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:32 PM
Banned in 26 states

I just saw a white Bokoblin the other day but haven't yet completed any Divine Beasts. Obviously one is a pittance of a sample size but I'll keep an eye out as I finish more shrines.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:39 PM
meaningless Code

I did some googling and some people are claiming it's determined by the numbers of certain types of enemies killed before each Blood Moon. Once you kill enough of one type, you'll get the next strongest tier, then so on.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:24 PM
oh my car

I'm pretty sure it's based on kill count, yeah.

I think that treasure chest contents scale the same way.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:22 PM
King Of Space-Time

How the flip did they build Gerudo Tower? HOW!?

Also the related shrine is a very good arguement for buying a guide.

Oh my aching inventory... again.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:38 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Is the royal horse in the quest the only white horse in the game?

Because I want to find a white horse, name it Starlite then change it's mane to green. Then I will dye a bunch of clothes crazy colors.

I will be Rainbow Brite. It will be amazing.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:02 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

So, I'm enjoying exploring lots of nooks and crannies as I delay the last divine beast and Ganon. But I did the island survival shrine, and it reminds me that honestly the best part of this game is starting from zero. I would love a Metal Gear: VR Missions or whatever type setup focused on pure system experimentation that just puts Link in a bunch of different survival scenarios starting with no gear and you have to figure out a way to accomplish some goal or another with limited resources. There's a lot of potential for great puzzle/scenario design using this system...

With this game's systems, I would rather have more survival scenarios than have traditional 3D Zelda dungeons back. (If I want amazing traditional Zelda dungeons, I can play any other 3D Zelda game except Ocarina of Time, which has terrible dungeons, except for the Water Temple. If I want a fun survival scenario, the only choices are the opening of BotW or that one shrine from BotW.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
I'm pretty sure it's based on kill count, yeah.

I think that treasure chest contents scale the same way.
This makes a lot of sense.

Of course Breath of the Wild is so good: It's Zelda as a Kawazu game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
I want to find a white horse, name it Starlite then change it's mane to green. Then I will dye a bunch of clothes crazy colors.

I will be Rainbow Brite. It will be amazing.
Please take pictures!

Last edited by estragon; 03-20-2017 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:42 PM
Chief Servbot

Does anyone have a lead on the Leviathan bones in Hebra province? I found the other two but I've trekked all over those damn mountains and nothing.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:54 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludendorkk View Post
Does anyone have a lead on the Leviathan bones in Hebra province? I found the other two but I've trekked all over those damn mountains and nothing.
I also wish to know this.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Shields must fall

They are under the mountain in a very large cave
Old 03-20-2017, 10:59 PM
oh my car

Blast. I still haven't figured out how to get underground in Hebra. I suspect it involves knocking the doors open with a snowball, but I haven't managed to hit it with a big enough one.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Shields must fall

You are right just need to start from further away behind the pond
Old 03-20-2017, 11:06 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

I never got bored with watching remixes of people parrying guardians.

Here are two recent favorites. (The second is threaded. The link goes to a screenshot with caption, followed by a video.)
Old 03-20-2017, 11:13 PM
Infinity Squared!

Beat the game last night and finally dove into the spoiler thread. I already posted the following general experience notes on a different forum, but the game is so good that I felt the need to post it again. A few spoilers within about Great Fairy locations.

Ended the game with all main quests fulfilled, 102 trial shrines completed, and 230 Korok seeds found. I'd call that pretty good, especially since I didn't use the Sheikah Sensor at all to find shrines. I've looked at the map that was posted earlier in the thread (here) so I'll take care of the rest of the shrines over the rest of the week. I still need to get the headgear to complete the Rubber set. And it turns out that I completely missed the Lakeside Stable deep in the Faron region as well as a few shrines that I must have just blindly walked past.

One of the funniest things about my experience was that I only found my second Great Fairy in the Tabantha (Rito) Region after exploring most of the rest of the world. I even missed the Akkala Great Fairy even though I'd explored that region already. The Gerudo Great Fairy was actually my third one found - didn't need the quest for that one. Well, the Horse God was my actual second Great Fairy, if we're counting that one. Never had the money for opening the last Great Fairy, but it feels like the third level of improvement is good enough.

It really did help me once I unlocked the second Great Fairy. Getting the set bonuses and extra defense from the second tier of upgrades was a real boost in confidence, which allowed me to start taking down the Major Tests of Strength, followed by the Lynels, and then Guardians. Each of these major enemy types felled provided a huge feeling of power. The former two really helped me improve my combat prowess, which definitely was needed for the first phase of the final boss. I'm a little bit disappointed with the difficulty of the second phase, but it was an appropriately epic fight.

Overall, I had a great experience with the game. Motion controls worked great for me, I wasn't bothered by the equipment durability systems, and there was a great balance between periods of combat and exploration. I will admit that I did start avoiding combat a little bit in the late game because of how beefy the enemies were becoming. In hindsight, I probably would have been fine continuing to engage in combat since it seemed like the dropped equipment was scaling as well; I was receiving more and more equipment with significant durability and attack bonuses at the end of the game. But it didn't seem as worth it to spend durability on Stal- enemies, Keese, and Chuchus as compared to other common foes. That got me into a little bit of trouble when I opened up the third Great Fairy and couldn't upgrade everything all at once - only most of my stuff. But yeah, given my experience with cleaving a path through Hyrule Castle with only a few pieces of Royal equipment, I shouldn't have worried at all and just beat up everything.

The size of the world and the variety of locales to explore was paced just right for so that when I was starting to feel done with the game, I was pretty much done with exploring all corners of the map. I was most annoyed by the cold regions of the world (Hebra, Gerudo Highlands, Mount Lanayru) since I had to forego the usual travel gear for the Warm Doublet and cold-resistance foods and elixirs. (I didn't visit the Rito until most of the way through my gameplay, as the second paragraph suggests.) I'm not sure if I'll go in on the DLC when it releases, but it's still a few months away so I'll keep an ear out for impressions. My light fatigue with the game will have probably dissipated by then.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 PM
Time for mandatory yoga

I keep finding the upgraded version of ancient cores, but I can't find just one more regular ancient core to upgrade my rune.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:34 PM
King Of Space-Time

EFF THE LEAF.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:46 PM
アヘ顔と加瀬さん

Expect me to try this with a balloon or two tied to the raft. If it works, I will make a play journal entry with "Squadalah! We're off!" as the text.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 PM
Jump and shoot?

I spent a couple hours trying to make this work with balloons, and it's simply too hard to keep the magnetic object pressed against the mast AND periodically dropping balloons in the correct place to keep the raft steady AND picking up the magnetic object again without dropping it to the ground.

The best I could come up with was finding the two iron balls connected by a chain that you're supposed to drop into things for koroks, and wrapping the chain around the mast such that you only need to push one ball in the direction you want to go, while the whole object remains somewhat connected to your raft. This works for a minute or so, and then the chain slips through the mast and the whole thing falls off.

Also, balloons overwrite any stasis momentum, so you can't launch something forward and have it float at the same time.

The magnesis trick works about as well on land as it does in water though, so you can motorboat across Hyrule Plains all you like.

Good luck, I'd love to see someone else figure out a way to fly properly.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:03 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporophyte View Post
You are right just need to start from further away behind the pond
I can't make it work. After significant stasis shenanigans, I managed to get one of the snowballs over the pond, but it was not big enough to open the door. I'm talking about the one that leads under Hebra North Summit, not the one at Kopeeki Drifts.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
I can't make it work. After significant stasis shenanigans, I managed to get one of the snowballs over the pond, but it was not big enough to open the door. I'm talking about the one that leads under Hebra North Summit, not the one at Kopeeki Drifts.
You're using the wrong rune here.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:13 PM
oh my car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerhof View Post
You're using the wrong rune here.
I always forget that exists.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 PM
oh my car

LET'S PLAY MONEY MAKING GAME.

On the east side of Satori Mountain, there's a grove with dozens of heavily laden apple trees. Use the woodcutter's axe that is there, and bombs, to knock down all the trees. Get the wood too while you're at it, if you haven't finish the Tarrey Town quest. With your bounty of something like 200 apples, head to Goron City and bake them by dropping them on the ground 10 at a time. (More than that and they'll despawn before they finish baking.) Sell them to Juney in Rito Village in as large a batch as you can manage. 100 baked apples nets you a cool 1200 rupees. 12 rupees a unit may seem like a low price, but cooking them this way is fast and apples are highly abundant.

Every time you visit a Great Fairy, check around the outskirts. You will find several Endura Carrots there, at every fountain. When cooked into a dish, an Endura Carrot adds 84 rupees to the sale price.

Head up to the Hebra region and shoot every moose you see. They drop Gourmet Meat. At Outskirt Stable, an NPC will buy them for a hundred rupees a pop. He'll only buy three per day, so once you've satisfied him, cook the rest. They'll add 98 rupees to the sale price, so five of them in one skewer will fetch 490 rupees.

Pick a minigame, any minigame, and master it. Snow bowling is the fastest once you have it down, but I didn't have the patience to get it down. Gut Check Rock is a pretty easy one if you've got the full set of climbing gear.

Amber is the most abundant precious mineral, and the gear that requires it to upgrade doesn't require anything else that's rare. Sell it. Sell the others once you've finished the upgrades for 'em, but those ones are gated by star shards. Fight every Stone Talus you see in order to make gathering them faster. Check around the backsides of mountains, too, especially Death Mountain. Be careful selling diamonds, though, as you need those to replace the champion weapons if they break.

What's that? You've already fully upgraded your house, unlocked all the great fairy fountains, and bought one of all the clothes, and so have nothing left to spend all this cash on? Pish posh. Buy extra clothes and dye them in every color.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned in 26 states

Quote:
Pick a minigame, any minigame, and master it.

Tags
breath of the wild , nintendo , spoilers , spoilers in the wild , zelda