The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 02-24-2017, 01:32 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Here's the breakdown of what USADA knew and when. Not a good look.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
HOOKnSHOOT is going out of business, actually. Jeff Osborne is gonna be a full-time arcade operator.
Well, I'll be.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

UFC 209 is probably going to be the best card they put out this year, right? Everyone seems to have made it to the show in one piece.

Reem / Hunt is interesting. Sugar / Kelly is... well, at least Shad won't get hurt too bad this time? Khabib / Ferguson is, of course, a great bout even with the Conor vacancy hanging over it. And the main event won't be as good, but the first fight had a dramatic ending at least so that's something.

The non-PPV portion might not look like much, but I think I'll get this one.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:20 AM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 03-03-2017, 11:24 AM
Time is Luck

I have faith

it may not be today, or tomorrow

but someday

he will smash Dana's boy
Old 03-03-2017, 11:30 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Holy fuck, that hit the wires seconds after my positive appraisal.

Any particularly hated companies you want me to buy stock of in the hopes they bankrupt themselves over the weekend?

Remember when they instituted the IV ban and we all said guys would either move up in weight or we'd have problems? Everyone chose door #2. Now the chickens are coming home to roost.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
I have faith

it may not be today, or tomorrow

but someday

he will smash Dana's boy
Inshallah
Old 03-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
UFC 209 is probably going to be the best card they put out this year, right? Everyone seems to have made it to the show in one piece.

Reem / Hunt is interesting. Sugar / Kelly is... well, at least Shad won't get hurt too bad this time? Khabib / Ferguson is, of course, a great bout even with the Conor vacancy hanging over it. And the main event won't be as good, but the first fight had a dramatic ending at least so that's something.

The non-PPV portion might not look like much, but I think I'll get this one.
Yeah Reem/Hunt is the only fight on here I'm truly interested in. Though Wonder "Actually 34" Boy v Woodley should amuse.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:35 PM

Sorry for potential spoilers, but this is now officially the most disappointing UFC ever.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Old 03-04-2017, 07:36 PM
Is there not one thing

In fake depraved garbage sports news, Mark Hunt just got KO'd by a nuclear Overeem knee. That's the same knee that put Fujita into a 72-hour coma.

Mark looked bad out there. Slower than usual, but it's hard to know how much of that came from his leg injury early on. I don't think I can watch him fight much longer.

e: TOM of Twitter, who has been watching Hunt for at least a decade longer than me, sez Mark looked pretty normal out there and that Overeem keeping his cool was the decider. Possible, even likely. Overeem is always his own worst weakness.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
In fake depraved garbage sports news, Mark Hunt just got KO'd by a nuclear Overeem knee. That's the same knee that put Fujita into a 72-hour coma.

Mark looked bad out there. Slower than usual, but it's hard to know how much of that came from his leg injury early on. I don't think I can watch him fight much longer.

e: TOM of Twitter, who has been watching Hunt for at least a decade longer than me, sez Mark looked pretty normal out there and that Overeem keeping his cool was the decider. Possible, even likely. Overeem is always his own worst weakness.
The worst part is that Overeem didn't even look great out there.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:52 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBlasto View Post
He wasn't pyrotechnic or anything, but he was strong enough in the clinch (against Hunto!) to control things and he never panicked. That's top-tier when you're Overeem.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:00 PM

The undercard and the Vannata - Teymur fight was fantastic. Main event was even worse than the first fight. Woodley probably should have lost that, but he won the first fight so things worked out anyway.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:08 PM

Quote:
I dunno, I thought he looked pretty good. He came in with a smart game plan to shut down most of Hunt's offense, and it worked. He stayed on the outside of Hunt's reach for the most part and when he got inside, he neutralized the striking by grabbing his shoulders and forcing the clinch. It wasn't the most exciting, but it's a huge improvement from Overeem's bafflement over Ben Rothwell's elusive mummy guard.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufferto View Post
I dunno, I thought he looked pretty good. He came in with a smart game plan to shut down most of Hunt's offense, and it worked. He stayed on the outside of Hunt's reach for the most part and when he got inside, he neutralized the striking by grabbing his shoulders and forcing the clinch. It wasn't the most exciting, but it's a huge improvement from Overeem's bafflement over Ben Rothwell's elusive mummy guard.
See, I thought he just ran from Hunt for the most part, and only mounted any offense when he was forced to. Maybe that was his gameplan, but it looked more to me like he didn't even want to be in the cage. He definitely got the better of Hunt in the clinch, but I was not impressed with anything he did outside of it.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
See, I thought he just ran from Hunt for the most part, and only mounted any offense when he was forced to. Maybe that was his gameplan, but it looked more to me like he didn't even want to be in the cage. He definitely got the better of Hunt in the clinch, but I was not impressed with anything he did outside of it.
The strategy didn't seem centered around finishing Hunt - he spent a lot of time targeting the lower half with body kicks, the teep, and those oblique kicks he throws all the time now, which worked really well to tire Hunt out and reduce mobility. (He doubled down on working the body when he was in the clinch, too - he threw a ton of knees to the body before he went upstairs with that knee.) The striking wasn't super exciting, but it prevented Hunt from getting inside and landing any big shots while successfully chipping away at him. Hunt had little to no answers for the reach advantage.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:00 AM

Keep in mind, Hunt is a fat and stubby fighter. Being fat, the body presents a bigger target and hitting someone in the body effectively stops all forward momentum they have. They can't come forward on you when you have a foot in their gut. They also probably have suspect cardio, being fat. As a fighter with short reach, it's also up to you to get inside striking range, or you'll get picked apart by the longer striker. It's a lot harder to do this well when you're tired as hell and your leg is messed up.
Old 03-05-2017, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The strategy didn't seem centered around finishing Hunt - he spent a lot of time targeting the lower half with body kicks, the teep, and those oblique kicks he throws all the time now, which worked really well to tire Hunt out and reduce mobility. (He doubled down on working the body when he was in the clinch, too - he threw a ton of knees to the body before he went upstairs with that knee.) The striking wasn't super exciting, but it prevented Hunt from getting inside and landing any big shots while successfully chipping away at him. Hunt had little to no answers for the reach advantage.
So I re-watched it today, and I mostly agree with your thoughts now, especially in the second round. I think the Lagunitas colored my perception last night.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
I agree w all of the above, and in hindsight it's impressive how Reem was able to keep Hunt, who has the best fight IQ at heavyweight, off his angles.

I still think Hunt looked physically worse than he has in a while, but who knows.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:44 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Hunt apparently suffered a broken tibia, so there's a lot of why the fight played out why it did.

I concur on Reem having an excellent, low-risk-high-reward-in-late-rounds gameplan, however. Dunno if he can pull the trick against someone who'll be trying to put him on his back the entire fight, but against Hunt that was a well executed plan.

I assume they're going to run Lewis / Reem as a Heavyweight eliminator next? That'd be curiously interesting just for whatever promo material Lewis can come up with.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:47 AM
Time is Luck

Gennady Golovkin wins a decision over Danny Jacobs in a fight where neither man looked like a world-beater. GGG was apparently frustrated by Jacobs switching stances and had a hard time hurting a guy who reinflated to 180+ after the weigh-in. Canelo Alvarez maybe likes his chances a bit better now, but will still probably never fight Golovkin.

The fight of the night was second from the top, where Srisaket Sor Rungvisai won a hotly disputed decision over Chocolatito Gonzalez in an absolute war from bell to bell. Gonzalez was badly bloodied and there's a lot of talk that he may have gone a bridge too far in moving up to his fourth weight class. Catch that one on the replay if you can.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:51 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
The fight of the night was second from the top, where Srisaket Sor Rungvisai won a hotly disputed decision over Chocolatito Gonzalez in an absolute war from bell to bell. Gonzalez was badly bloodied and there's a lot of talk that he may have gone a bridge too far in moving up to his fourth weight class. Catch that one on the replay if you can.
Thanks for the tip. I like Chocolatito, but I don't $65 like him.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Time is Luck

if there's one thing Muay Thai guys know better than anybody, it's how to go to work on a cut

Old 03-19-2017, 12:37 PM
Is there not one thing

Shit that's right on the hairline too. He's lucky goodman wasn't their fight doc or it would have been a medical TKO.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Yeah, I saw the results and figured I'll find the undercard match on Youtube.

A few (respected) people scored GGG as losing the fight, which is interesting, especially as he got a 10-8 thanks to a knockdown.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:50 PM
Is there not one thing

War Machine's closing argument admitted to something like two dozen counts of aggravated battery, rape, and intimidation. Capital kidnapping and attempted murder are still in the jury's hands, meaning War Machine's potentially up for life and a day.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:52 PM
IT'S NOT A DREAM

Oh fuck why aren't I following THE TRIAL OF WAR MACHINE.

I should be following that.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:06 PM
Time is Luck

Says here the jury is currently hung on attempted murder but he's down on a boatload of battery and sexual assault charges.

Interesting: at some point at least the Vegas local media started calling him War Machine.

ETA: but to the Associated Press he's still Jonathan Koppenhaver, "known as War Machine."
Old 03-21-2017, 09:23 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Sonnen.

Silva.

Bellator.

MSG.

motherfuckin PAY PER VIEW.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Sonnen.

Silva.

Bellator.

MSG.

motherfuckin PAY PER VIEW.
What's the line on Wand going Full Abobo before being rendered to a black site by NYSAC?

Tags
best thread on the forum , concussion discussion , fight sports , guy in your mma