The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

This is throwing my whole worldview into disarray!
Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM
#deadfish2017

Also Rare wasn't a good dev back then.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:44 AM
Spear of Justice

RC Pro-Am is a fine video game! And I've heard very good things about Cobra Triangle.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Snake rattle and roll, my dudes
Old 03-20-2017, 08:20 AM
Spear of Justice

One of these days I'm going to finally sit down and figure out how the eff you're supposed to play Snake Rattle 'N Roll. The weird isometric controls always throw me off.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:27 AM
#deadfish2017

Yeah okay for every R.C. Pro Am tho you have an Anticipation or Taboo.

Fuckin California Games I mean come on
Old 03-20-2017, 08:41 AM
Spear of Justice

Sure, Rare was tossing a lot of shit at the wall to see what stuck, but this was NES boom-era we're talking about. Of course there's plenty of clunkers because everyone was scrambling to ride that gravy train.

Though I will admit Rare was even more prolific on the system than most devs, which probably threw off their gold-to-crap ratio a bit. I won't even try to defend "classics" like Wizards & Warriors or Battletoads because they're incredibly difficult to return to now.

Anyway, you know what's a good game? Rescue Rangers 2.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Anticipation
One of my favourite NES games. Y'know what, Loki, you've convinced me, Rare really was a good dev back then.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 AM

Rare developed about 60 of the 700 or so licensed NES games during a period of a handful of years. Literally game a month territory, no one's batting average was going to survive that.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:21 AM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sensible View Post
What's strange is the Rare-developed WFRR game on NES also wasn't very good. Good property and good dev doesn't always equal success either, apparently.
There is always the Capcom Gameboy version of Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Peter Parker's Webcam

Quote:
Battletoads
It's pretty good, though it's telling that the 2P mode is bugged and (even if it wasn't bugged this would still be true) even harder than 1P
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Spear of Justice

Huh, I had no idea Capcom did a WFRR game. And directed by Shinji Mikami, no less!

My favorite part is how Marvin Acme just straight-up spoils the ending in the first five minutes before being summarily gunned down through his office window's blinds (which was how R.K. Maroon got killed in the movie, not Acme). Still seems leagues better than the NES version!
Old 03-20-2017, 12:08 PM
Thwomp Boyardee

Quote:
Originally Posted by muteKi View Post
It's pretty good
If you hate yourself.
Old 03-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Video Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcodis View Post
I mean, you can skip the dialogue cutscenes. Push start and select "skip". It can't get much easier than that. Having to do so was sort of annoying, but I don't understand at all how this is some game-breaking feature that prevents people from enjoying the game. And not to single you out Dracula, I've just heard this as a complaint more often than not. The fact that they added an option to skip the dialogue entirely should just settle the matter. It's a really damn good game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishi View Post
It's been fixed for three and a half years.
Right, yeah, I should have said that this was my initial impression only of the game, and it was from watching a friend play it. I didn't know you could turn off the dialogue. If I'd given it a chance myself, I would have had a different opinion.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:08 PM
a chasing of the wind

I'm glad people are going to be getting this collection. I honestly would love to have it myself since I loved most of these games back in the day. And if it were to be made available to me, I'd certainly buy it. But it makes me kind of angry that it's not coming to Nintendo systems at all. This basically means I won't be getting this. I can't afford to have more than one system at a time right now and so my choice is usually whatever the latest Nintendo system is. Honestly, if they're taking a "wait and see" approach to the Switch, that makes no sense given its immediate popularity.

Even if it comes later, that's kind of crappy. It's sort of saying Nintendo fans are second-class. Same thing happened over and over again throughout the Wii and Wii U's lifespan. "Great new game coming to every system. . .except whatever Nintendo system is out." I've been burned by that so many times. Not that I can afford to buy many games. But certainly games like this I can and would buy were they available to me. Not only is it affordable, they're games I'd actually love to play extensively.

Capcom can do whatever they want, of course. That includes saying "screw you" to Nintendo fans. It just kind of makes me sad. There's really nothing I can do about it other than just say that it makes me sad.

In any case, if you're getting this, I'm happy. I'm glad people will be able to enjoy these games again.
Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM
Out Of Warranty

Default The Disney Afternoon Collection is real and so is god

Any reservations I had about getting this issue faded away with three words: "co-op Rescue Rangers"

(I wonder if this is the reason why we don't have a 3DS version - writing code to support local co-op in this emulator might not be easy)
Old 03-20-2017, 07:31 PM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erstwhile Pathos View Post
I'm glad people are going to be getting this collection. I honestly would love to have it myself since I loved most of these games back in the day. And if it were to be made available to me, I'd certainly buy it. But it makes me kind of angry that it's not coming to Nintendo systems at all. This basically means I won't be getting this. I can't afford to have more than one system at a time right now and so my choice is usually whatever the latest Nintendo system is. Honestly, if they're taking a "wait and see" approach to the Switch, that makes no sense given its immediate popularity.

Even if it comes later, that's kind of crappy. It's sort of saying Nintendo fans are second-class. Same thing happened over and over again throughout the Wii and Wii U's lifespan. "Great new game coming to every system. . .except whatever Nintendo system is out." I've been burned by that so many times. Not that I can afford to buy many games. But certainly games like this I can and would buy were they available to me. Not only is it affordable, they're games I'd actually love to play extensively.

Capcom can do whatever they want, of course. That includes saying "screw you" to Nintendo fans. It just kind of makes me sad. There's really nothing I can do about it other than just say that it makes me sad.

In any case, if you're getting this, I'm happy. I'm glad people will be able to enjoy these games again.
It's disappointing that Capcom hasn't announced a Switch version, but I totally understand why they would be gun shy when it comes to a new Nintendo console, even if it is a hybrid. Traditionally (at least starting with Wii), Nintendo makes all the money while third parties struggle to sell. It's likely that Capcom's been burned too many times to be willing to even do the usual multiplatform thing until they know third parties can prosper.

That said, I think a slightly modified version of an 8-year old HD "remaster" of a 23-year old update to a 26-year old fighting game isn't exactly a thrilling choice for Capcom testing the waters.

I dunno, maybe Capcom's just pissed 'cuz they'll have to get out of their sub-PS2 comfort zone and spend more money on developing new Monster Hunter games.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:10 AM
..and his little cat, too

I think I'm just at the point where I'm numb to anything not being announced for a Nintendo console. Hell, that probably began when Street Fighter IV was ported to literally everything current going on at the time except the Wii -- including the iPhone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I thought that was an LJN game.

Kind of fits their tendency to makes games that are conceptually very good and hot garbage to actually play.
LJN was more a publisher, but made surprisingly few (if any) of the games under their label.

The LJN Defender gives a good look at a lot of their games, and makes sure to point out who developed what.

Quote:
Sure, Rare was tossing a lot of shit at the wall to see what stuck, but this was NES boom-era we're talking about. Of course there's plenty of clunkers because everyone was scrambling to ride that gravy train.

Though I will admit Rare was even more prolific on the system than most devs, which probably threw off their gold-to-crap ratio a bit. I won't even try to defend "classics" like Wizards & Warriors or Battletoads because they're incredibly difficult to return to now.

Anyway, you know what's a good game? Rescue Rangers 2.
I still love Wizards & Warriors. The original, at least. Ironsword, I wasn't huge on, and I never got to play 3 or X, so say what you want about those. But I want a way to play the original again.

(I'm also still really down with someone doing a reboot. Looking your way, WayForward.)
Old 03-21-2017, 02:13 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I'm visualising a Wayforward take on Wizards and Warriors and it's arousing me immensely.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:59 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Say what you will about a slightly modified version of an 8-year old HD "remaster" of a 23-year old update to a 26-year old fighting game, it's actually one of the games I'm most looking forward to on the Switch. I played it at PAX South and it's pretty much exactly what you think it is and that's fine. It's been too long since I've sat down with Ryu and Family and just vegged out on old-school arcade bliss. (I'll be playing with the original graphics because naturally.)

I would be quite alright with a Capcom NES Classics collection. Digital Eclipse treatment for a few games not in MMLC or DAC. Little Nemo: The Dream Master, Willow, Bionic Commando, etc. Maybe even Sweet Home, just for giggles.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:56 PM
a chasing of the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
It's disappointing that Capcom hasn't announced a Switch version, but I totally understand why they would be gun shy when it comes to a new Nintendo console, even if it is a hybrid. Traditionally (at least starting with Wii), Nintendo makes all the money while third parties struggle to sell. It's likely that Capcom's been burned too many times to be willing to even do the usual multiplatform thing until they know third parties can prosper.
This is true. Honestly, I shouldn't complain because it's kind of a miracle they're doing this at all when they really probably don't need to. Besides, I can't even get my hands on a Switch!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:19 PM
MOE~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
"co-op Rescue Rangers"
its so good and was so incredibly ahead of its time
Old 03-25-2017, 08:46 PM
TARANTUL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
Also Rare wasn't a good dev back then.
Rare made amazing games in the 8 bit era... sometimes.

Sometime they made terrible cash ins.

Huge gulf of quality, there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
I still love Wizards & Warriors. The original, at least. Ironsword, I wasn't huge on, and I never got to play 3 or X, so say what you want about those. But I want a way to play the original again.

(I'm also still really down with someone doing a reboot. Looking your way, WayForward.)
Nah, needs to be a 3D remake. I've wanted Daggers of Throwing in 3D for like 18 years.
Old 03-26-2017, 03:28 AM

Incredibly silly gripe: I'd prefer there wasn't the Rewind feature. Save states, whatever, but Rewind is just a little bit too easy. These aren't difficult games and people are going to rewind their way through them, then say they're shit.

I'd prefer that they just let you suspend save after each play session or hard save after each level, but obviously that isn't possible. I'm just not looking forward to the host of "let's face it, these games were never really any good" reviews.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:07 AM
Come, noble knights!

I'd suspect there will be (or will be added) an option to turn rewind off altogether for those who don't want it, maybe achievements for beating game without using it. But if anyone beats a game via rewind abuse then complains about it being too easy it's their own damn fault for making it too easy.

"Let's face it, these games were never really any good" be more like "Let's face it, I was never really any good at these games."

Me, I'm cool with rewind. I would've killed for this in the Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden games.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:21 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destil View Post
Rare made amazing games in the 8 bit era... sometimes.

Sometime they made terrible cash ins.

Huge gulf of quality, there.
Not unlike a lot of indie devs over the years, though, is it? Do the quick licensed stuff to make ends meet, and your own creations when you can?

Quote:
Nah, needs to be a 3D remake. I've wanted Daggers of Throwing in 3D for like 18 years.
I'm down, just give me a way to play the original if that happens, that's all I ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Incredibly silly gripe: I'd prefer there wasn't the Rewind feature. Save states, whatever, but Rewind is just a little bit too easy. These aren't difficult games and people are going to rewind their way through them, then say they're shit.

I'd prefer that they just let you suspend save after each play session or hard save after each level, but obviously that isn't possible. I'm just not looking forward to the host of "let's face it, these games were never really any good" reviews.
It wouldn't surprise me if the Rewind was solely there for TaleSpin.

It probably isn't even comparable, but the Turbo Tunnel in Battletoads still whooped me, even using Rewind. I got through, eventually, but had it been an actual tape, the damn thing would have broken before I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetManMas View Post
I'd suspect there will be (or will be added) an option to turn rewind off altogether for those who don't want it, maybe achievements for beating game without using it. But if anyone beats a game via rewind abuse then complains about it being too easy it's their own damn fault for making it too easy.

"Let's face it, these games were never really any good" be more like "Let's face it, I was never really any good at these games."

Me, I'm cool with rewind. I would've killed for this in the Castlevania and Ninja Gaiden games.
Seriously, you shouldn't even need an option to turn it off -- there's already one built in. It's called "DON'T F***ING USE IT."

Like you say, anyone who uses it then bitches about it has no one but themselves to blame. Want a real challenge? Then start by learning self control.

Sheesh.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:52 AM

Sorry for cross-posting/spamming but relevant:

Old 03-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Ruffian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBD_Nytetrayn View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the Rewind was solely there for TaleSpin.
Doesn't TaleSpin already have a "rewind" feature, in a way? You could fly the plane in the opposite direction by holding B, so it wasn't too hard to go back for something you missed.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Sorry for cross-posting/spamming but relevant:

If you hadn't I was going to!
Old 03-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Mystery Contraption

The rewind is more of a save-state feature in this case.

I guess it's more like the Dagger from Prince of Persia, than anything.

Tags
capcom , digital eclipse , disney afternoon , ducktales! , non-nintendo products , nostalgia glasses , rereleases , woo-oo