The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about television games

Old 03-18-2017, 10:25 PM
Nothing is more powerful

So how's the not-D-pad on this thing, anyway? As someone who'd likely spend 90% of the time playing 2D games in portable mode, those buttons look shifty.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:51 PM
?!

I would not play a 2D game that in any way relies on diagonals with the joycon d-pad, but it would be tolerable for something more grid-based. For example, I cannot imagine playing a complex platformer or fighting game with it, but I could see an RPG or puzzle game feeling fine.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:45 AM
..and his little cat, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbaglo View Post
Putting aside the inefficiencies when you have an extension plugged into a surge guard, it's also a fire hazard. You really shouldn't combine them, and should make sure that you only have one middle-man in the loop (IE: Wall -> Extension/Surge -> Device).
Gotcha. Guess I'll make a point to remedy that, then.

Sigh... dammit, Nintendo, why are you so cheap with cords lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by q 3 View Post
So how's the not-D-pad on this thing, anyway? As someone who'd likely spend 90% of the time playing 2D games in portable mode, those buttons look shifty.
I've had no real problems in Blaster Master Zero, but I wouldn't expect them to hold up in, say, a fighting game. And neither would they, apparently, as they used Pro controllers at the preview event.

Incidentally, I saw a review point out that the Pro has no ball at the center of the Dpad like others, making it possible to press multiple directions at once. Didn't seem to hinder me in Ultra Street Fighter II, though.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:45 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I would not play a 2D game that in any way relies on diagonals with the joycon d-pad, but it would be tolerable for something more grid-based. For example, I cannot imagine playing a complex platformer or fighting game with it, but I could see an RPG or puzzle game feeling fine.
It's a tiny bit awkward at first, but you get used to it really fast. Served no impediment to the platformers or fighting games I've played with it.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:26 PM
Sega CD version is better

So is there a consensus on what the best portable charger is for the Switch yet?
Old 03-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Sudden chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
It's a tiny bit awkward at first, but you get used to it really fast. Served no impediment to the platformers or fighting games I've played with it.
I used a DualShock 2 for years on my PC and I actually thought it was really good for 2D platformers, despite having 4 buttons instead of a d-pad. I'm hopeful that the Switch setup will work equally well, although the d-pad buttons do look like they're a little low on the controller.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Highway To HFIL

I've been playing Shovel Knight using the d-pad, and I can't tell the difference.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBanjoMike View Post
I used a DualShock 2 for years on my PC and I actually thought it was really good for 2D platformers, despite having 4 buttons instead of a d-pad. I'm hopeful that the Switch setup will work equally well, although the d-pad buttons do look like they're a little low on the controller.
I haven't really tried a 2D game with it yet, but the buttons feel further apart than the Dual Shocks, almost like the C-buttons on the old N64 pad.

I'm REALLY hopping they come up with a option, maybe a grip or something that covers the buttons to make it work as a true D-Pad.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:03 PM
Smudged

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJG View Post
I have no trouble with diagonals. It's when I have to reverse direction that I have a problem. I have trouble moving from right to left without also hitting one of the other buttons by mistake.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:26 PM
この世の最も無智なる者

From the official Seiken Densetsu Twitter account, video of Square-Enix people playing Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) on a Switch.

I hope this is a Virtual Console thing rather than a standalone re-release... I want some news about VC on the Switch.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:54 PM
Wannabe Indie Game Dev

Just popped over here to post about this - I've played SD3 before (the fan translation), and it is a fairly outstanding title. Exceptional art and music, really.

Kick on over to SpaceHamster's channel if you want to watch a review of sorts, and feel free to tweet to SD's account if you're interested and have a Switch.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:02 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

I never made it through SD3 because I didn't really understand the class-change system but I'd love to give this one another looksee on a console instead of my computer.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:27 AM
Sega CD version is better

Considering there was never an official release in the west (and Square western VC releases on the WiiU was pretty spartan), I'm not expecting much here. The fact it had game specific art on the sides makes me curious. Are we going to see that in the VC games we do see over here, or is this not VC at all and something Square is working on separately?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:59 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

That is in my top 5 games of all time so I will freak the hell out if I can play that on Switch.

By the way, has anyone else made a Japanese account yet? It's been entertaining seeing the news feed with both Japanese and English announcements.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:14 AM
concern troll

I just ordered one of these soft dock cozies (the Zelda one). I'll report back on how it fits when I get it.
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Tinckoy...shop-info-name
Old 03-20-2017, 09:23 AM
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violentvixen View Post
By the way, has anyone else made a Japanese account yet? It's been entertaining seeing the news feed with both Japanese and English announcements.
Yeah, I think that's a nice little touch. Or consequence. Either way!
Old 03-20-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
I have no trouble with diagonals. It's when I have to reverse direction that I have a problem. I have trouble moving from right to left without also hitting one of the other buttons by mistake.
That is exactly my problem. It has to do with how I've always rested my thumb on d-pads. Muscle memory is serious business, y'all. (Like how they reversed the buttons in Mega Man Anniversary on Gamecube.)
Old 03-20-2017, 10:10 AM
Inkster

The great news about Seiken Densetsu 3 potentially being on the VC (or even if it's not) is that even if it doesn't come over to the US or Europe, that no longer matters due to the lack of region locking. I wouldn't understand the plot, but I could finally see what the fuss was about mechanically. That is a very exciting prospect for me once I get my hands on a Switch.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I just ordered one of these soft dock cozies (the Zelda one). I'll report back on how it fits when I get it.
https://www.etsy.com/au/shop/Tinckoy...shop-info-name
I enjoy the fact that it's called a dock sock.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:48 AM
この世の最も無智なる者

So, Seiken Densetsu 3 wasn't VC. It's part of a standalone Mana collection, with Seiken Densetsu 1-3.

Being sold as a full priced standalone game (for 4800 yen, around a little over $40 USD) , I feel like this brings the chance of an official English localization for SD3 from 0% to like . . . maybe 2-3%?

Last edited by estragon; 03-21-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:08 AM
Out Of Warranty

Man, i hope it gets localized. It certainly increases the chances I'll give in and get a Switch before the year's up.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:52 AM
a chasing of the wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
*heavy breathing.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:08 AM
Come, noble knights!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positronic Brain View Post
Man, i hope it gets localized. It certainly increases the chances I'll give in and get a Switch before the year's up.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:06 AM
Conquers the World

If it sells well I at least hope it prompts a Final Fantasy 1-6 collection, since there's no way that wouldn't get localized

EDIT: Or wait, oh man, a Soul Blazer one
Old 03-21-2017, 05:18 AM
Mystery Contraption

I stand with Guy, his hopes, and his dreams
Old 03-21-2017, 05:22 AM
concern troll

I wonder is there will be any tweaks to Secret of Mana since that game could be a bit janky.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:39 AM
Out Of Warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I wonder is there will be any tweaks to Secret of Mana since that game could be a bit janky.
I have heard tons about the jankiness of SoM, yet I only experienced an issue once (Sprite getting stuck into a wall, quickly solved by switching to him, which pushed it out of its predicament). Did I get the only stable copy of SoM in existence?
Old 03-21-2017, 05:42 AM
All are Mr. Saturn

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit. I'm going to have to get a Japanese account now.

A Soul Blazer Trilogy - quadrilogy really, you'd have to include Actraiser - would be tits but I don't think S-E even knows they own the properties, presuming they do own them.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:46 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by four-so View Post
Shiiiiiiiiiiiit. I'm going to have to get a Japanese account now.

A Soul Blazer Trilogy - quadrilogy really, you'd have to include Actraiser - would be tits but I don't think S-E even knows they own the properties, presuming they do own them.
Don't forget Granstream Saga.

And I guess Actraiser 2, though it's doesn't really have much in line with the rest, thematically.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:25 AM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Don't forget Granstream Saga.

And I guess Actraiser 2, though it's doesn't really have much in line with the rest, thematically.
The only thing I remember about Granstream saga was an anime girl taking a shower in a cutscene. Was that what the game was about? Showering?

Tags
任天堂 リバ , ah-ah ah-ah yeah! , all eggs in one basket , bait and switch , controllers for ants , dom/sub , ebullient millenials , hardware , joycon , lets talk preorders , litral switch to the face , miimosa party , neo-cons , nintendo , nintendo switch , no picross no sale , opinions , snap! , snitches get switches , swiitch , switch it on , switch palace , the new switcheroo , the switching hour , whip it