The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-14-2017, 12:18 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
One of my favorite things about Alien is the fact that it's a sci-fi movie with such a cosmically inconsequential story - a team of a space truckers accidentally let a murderous unknown creature into their ship and get picked off one-by-one. You never see any of the world beyond that ship, but the characters and the sets and their routine feel so alive that it makes you 100% believe in the authenticity of a future you're only seeing a tiny corner of. The alien could be just one of its many mysteries.

Now the aliens are the most important thing in the universe and they're linked to the origin of human life itself, and now the universe feels so much smaller even as it becomes less intimate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredde View Post
Also, the incomprehensible, huge, biomechanical monstrosity growing out of its chair, the mysterious Space Jockey who was transporting horrible eggs for reasons beyond the understanding of our tiny human minds, turned out to be... a bald dude.
I agree with both of these things, but I also actually like Prometheus. I think I just kinda separated it from the Alien series, pushed it off into like Side Story status in my mind, and watched it for itself. I think at the time it was also Not Technically A Prequel or something?
Old 03-14-2017, 12:37 PM
It's all good, man

Anyone who said that was full of it. It's clearly a prequel.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:38 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
I think at the time it was also Not Technically A Prequel or something?
Pre-release interviews were coy about the Alien connection and treated it more as an unrelated story in the same universe, but I think this was a sleight so as to make the xenomorph's appearance a surprise.
Old 03-14-2017, 12:42 PM
Find Your Reason

I was more surprised at how little the xenomorph had anything to do with the rest of the movie than I was at its inclusion, really.

Not exactly a stroke of storytelling brilliance to reveal your franchise's main monster at a narrative dead-end.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:00 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Ah, but the real monster is man. Or graven idol created in his image, at any rate.
Old 03-14-2017, 02:47 PM
HP 50/150 █████▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒

The Deacon isn't a Xenomorph, it's just clearly some kind of precursor or something. It leans much further to the "bio" end of biomechanical.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:43 PM
Mystery Contraption

As I understand it, Prometheus Zigzagged all over the place regarding whether or not it's an Alien prequel throughout its production because the rights kept getting shuffled up.

That's why it IS a prequel but a lot of details don't quite mesh
Old 03-14-2017, 04:46 PM
twinkling photon

Prometheus takes place on Christmas and ends with an immaculately-conceived birth
Old 03-17-2017, 09:46 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
As I understand it, Prometheus Zigzagged all over the place regarding whether or not it's an Alien prequel throughout its production because the rights kept getting shuffled up.

That's why it IS a prequel but a lot of details don't quite mesh
Even afterwards, there were loads of interviews saying "no, it's not a prequel." Then I guess it did well enough at the box office so it turned into a prequel.

I figure it'll get renamed to Alien: Prometheus eventually.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodar View Post
Prometheus takes place on Christmas and ends with an immaculately-conceived birth
Son of a bitch

LINDELOOOOOOF! YOU JESUS FREEEEAK

If Elizabeth Shaw is Mary then who is Joseph? David? Charlie?

I suppose Idris and the two other dudes who kamikaze'd the ship were the Three Wise Men. Vickers is Lucifer, David might be Jesus (he is sacrificed by the Romans = Engineers) and Old Man Memento is God.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:03 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
Even afterwards, there were loads of interviews saying "no, it's not a prequel." Then I guess it did well enough at the box office so it turned into a prequel.
First it wasn't a prequel to hide the twists. Then it wasn't a prequel because it got critically savaged. Now it is a prequel because that's the only way to rejuvenate interest in it.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:51 PM
It's all good, man

If Shaw is the birth he was talking about, it sure wasn't immaculate.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:38 PM
Find Your Reason

And if it's the birth of the proto-xenomorph at the end, that's not immaculate either.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:58 PM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zef View Post
And if it's the birth of the proto-xenomorph at the end, that's not immaculate either.
You're still a virgin if you take it in the... face...?
Old 03-17-2017, 06:17 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven View Post
You're still a virgin if you take it in the... face...?
(The "immaculate conception" doesn't refer to the virgin birth, it refers to Mary being born without sin.)
Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 AM
It's all good, man

I don't see anyone born without sin in that movie.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:33 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by conchobhar View Post
(The "immaculate conception" doesn't refer to the virgin birth, it refers to Mary being born without sin.)
I'm still proud of that joke and you're not gonna take it away from me.'

(14 years of Catholic school. Believe me, I know the basis was wrong.)
Old 04-16-2017, 06:22 AM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Ridley Scott Says Future ‘Alien’ Prequels *Could* Digitally De-Age Sigourney Weaver

Get excited for an Alien movie with no Alien I guess
Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 AM
It's all good, man

Mindwipes, son
Old 04-17-2017, 03:23 PM
[kɾoˈxuːɾ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Mindwipes, son
Oh, so we'll get the secret adventures of Ripley and Hicks.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:28 PM

I would legitimately watch a Ripley-focused Alien prequel on the explicit condition that it contained absolutely zero references of any sort to aliens or androids and strictly focused on Ellen Ripleys Nonadventurous Exploits in by-the-Book Space Trucking.

I expect this not to be that though.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:46 AM

Meet Ellen! She's a small town girl with big dreams! Watch her defy all her detractors as she obtains her Class 2 Power Loader Rating! Certification in hand she can now live her dream and go into space as Warrant Officer Ripley in the US Merchant Navy!
Old 04-18-2017, 04:43 AM
Mystery Contraption

She could meet an alien, just not one of those Aliens.

I'm expecting a touching comedy about a mismatched pair who learn to put aside their differences and learn that friendship doesn't care what planet you've come from. Maybe have the trailer include a shot of the alien trying to vacuum the grass, or Ripley eating some "fine space-cuisine" that makes steak shoot out of her ears.

20th Century Fox presents; Ellen and Zorflax
Old 04-18-2017, 05:13 AM

Old 04-18-2017, 10:40 AM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
I would legitimately watch a Ripley-focused Alien prequel on the explicit condition that it contained absolutely zero references of any sort to aliens or androids and strictly focused on Ellen Ripleys Nonadventurous Exploits in by-the-Book Space Trucking.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:41 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleshng View Post
I just want the Nostromo's 2-on-2 intramural basketball league to get the 30 for 30 it deserves.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:13 PM

I guess this the best place to talk about Alien: Covenant?

Saw it last night and I feel it's a far better film than Prometheus. Definitely below Alien and Aliens, maybe above Alien 3, definitely above Resurrection.

It's definitely closer in tone and theme to Alien, with a focus on horror and the unknown (up to a point). I thought all the performances were solid but the crew is so large that you likely won't remember but a handful of the most important ones as most of them aren't as well realized as say the Marines in Aliens. The crew for the most part behave very believably and the occasional moment of stupidity here and there is at least motivated by fear, love, or loyalty.

Great production design in the sets, costumes and vehicles. The weapons are very generic, nothing iconic like in Aliens; but again it's not really the focus of the film. The monster design is somewhere in the middle. With the classic Xenomorph (as per the trailers) making an appearance, but it suffers from the capabilities CG affords. Sure it lurks in the shadows and on the ceiling but it also runs across fields in broad daylight and scurries far too fast for my tastes. The other monster in the film aren't quite as good, though the various 'birthing' scenes are well done.

The most decisive factor will likely be what it adds to the Xenomorph lore. Namely that David (from Prometheus) is the progenitor of the Xenomorph species, having flown the Engineer ship discovered in Prometheus back to an Engineer inhabited planet. Upon arrival he uses the mutagen aboard the ship to wipe out the local Engineer population. He also kills Shaw (who repaired him at some point) and uses her, the local fauna, and the Engineer mutagen to create the classic Xenomorph via genetic experimentation during the 10 year gap between Prometheus and Covenant. His reason for doing so is believable if cliched; he sees humanity as a now inferior creation since they age and die unlike synthetics and now endeavors to prevent their spread and survival.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Is there not one thing

Aliens is one of the best movies of all time, so I try never to measure other films against that impossible standard.

Pretty weird to me that David would kill Shaw, as this seems like a 180 from their relationship at the end of Prometheus. I assume there is some revelation in this.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:53 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I assume there is some revelation in this.
I dunno. Judging by the spoiler bit, some things... should have always remained a mystery.
Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
Pretty weird to me that David would kill Shaw, as this seems like a 180 from their relationship at the end of Prometheus. I assume there is some revelation in this.
David said he 'loved' and was loved by Shaw; and she treated him better than any human ever had, especially Weyland; who David holds in great contempt. It's kind of unclear what exactly happened to Shaw, other than David does eventually confirm that his initial story that she died in a crash landing (which he also initially claims resulted in an accidental release of the mutagen) is a lie.

In flashback we see David intentionally releasing the mutagen to destroy the Engineers when he arrives. I can't imagine Shaw would have allowed this genocide to happen so she was likely dead already, though whether David killed her or she died in some other manner is left ambiguous, as David never explicitly confirms she died by his hand. Shaw's body does make a grisly appearance as part of David's genetic engineering laboratory where he has dissected/preserved/studied it in a kind of shrine. So David may indeed have 'loved' and held Shaw in high regard but certainly not enough to dissuade him from using her remains to further his goal of wiping out humanity.

Tags
alien , aliens , game over man , movies , quadrilogy , rise from your grave! , science fiction