The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 03-16-2017, 08:26 AM
LET'S ATTACK AGGRESSIVELY

Watched Arsenic and Old Lace. This was a re-watch for me (one of my favorite films, and I acted in the play in college), but new to the friends we had over.

Raymond Massey makes for a fine parody of Boris Karloff, but I'll always wonder what the film would have been like if the man himself was available to play Jonathan Brewster.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Mystery Contraption

I Accuse My Parents is kind of like Goodfellas. If Ray Liotta was a gigantic dipstick who not only did not aspire to become a gangster but was actively surprised to find out he was one.

Also, despite the title, the parents, while inattentive, can't really be blamed for much. Certainly not enough to warrant being accused by their son who is HIMSELF being charged with transporting stolen goods.

It started off as (really, really terrible) Oscar Bait, and then took a sharp swerve into BANANAS, and then become a teaching tool.

It's humbling to behold.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:17 AM

I go between that one and Daddy-O as my favorite "misbehaving teenager" movies that came out of MST3k.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:58 AM
Mystery Contraption

Another MST3K episode watched with EEGAH!, which is a kind of reverse Harry & The Hendersons, if the Sasquatch was actually an immortal caveman who took people back to his den, and if John Lithgow was a terribly miscast teen hearthrob.

In the end, not-terribly-gentle giant EEGAH! is shot and killed by the police for the crime of being a caveman. Also for throwing people into swimming pools and threatening Police officers with a ladder. Then the movie ends with a wildly out of context biblical quote.

Also, since it's a teen B-movie from the 1960s, there are lots of musical numbers. They are all terrible and with conspicuously awful lip-synching. From
Context clues, dating in the 60s consisted primarily of strumming onnguitars badly, singing awful songs. My favourite example of which being when the male lead had full musical accompaniement while stunning a guitar alone in a sleeping bag.

Also, the movie suddenly turns into an ad for dune buggies midway through.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracula View Post
If you liked it, the channel's other videos are all worth watching.
Yes. Every Frame A Painting makes some absolutely great videos.

Quote:
Watched Arsenic and Old Lace. This was a re-watch for me (one of my favorite films, and I acted in the play in college), but new to the friends we had over.

Raymond Massey makes for a fine parody of Boris Karloff, but I'll always wonder what the film would have been like if the man himself was available to play Jonathan Brewster.
It's really interesting to watch Cary Grant in this movie because I remember the man mostly for his work in the 50's and 60's where he was the debonair gentleman. But this movie was made in '41 (though released in '44) and presents a much more manic version of Cary Grant.

It's also a shame that the film didn't end on the "I'm not a Brewster. I'm a bastard!" line that the play had. Damn Hollywood censors!
Old 03-17-2017, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post

Also, the movie suddenly turns into an ad for dune buggies midway through.
MY TIRES ARE FILLED WITH WATER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post

It's really interesting to watch Cary Grant in this movie because I remember the man mostly for his work in the 50's and 60's where he was the debonair gentleman. But this movie was made in '41 (though released in '44) and presents a much more manic version of Cary Grant.

It's also a shame that the film didn't end on the "I'm not a Brewster. I'm a bastard!" line that the play had. Damn Hollywood censors!
Just looking at Cary Grant's face makes me want to start laughing because I can't not see his ridiculous expressions from A&OL. The best is when he realizes that Jonathan has hidden his own murder victim in the window seat, and his face slowly stretches from horrified to cognizant to smug.

When I acted in the play, it was for the theater program at my evangelical college...so we had to cut that line too! There's also some naughtiness in Mortimer and Elaine's conversation outside the house that was definitely cut from the movie:

Quote:
Mortimer:For a minister's daughter you know a lot about life. Where'd you learn it?
Elaine: In the choir loft.
Mortimer: I'll explain that to you some time, darling - the close connection between eroticism and religion.
Elaine: Religion never gets as high as the choir loft.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:58 AM

Nice.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:09 AM
Little Waves

Jungleground (1995) starring Roddy Piper:

Old 03-19-2017, 10:08 AM
Out Of Warranty

Beauty & The Beast HD Collection is competent. Is not essential, but it is entertaining, and in its highest moments it is wonderful.

But the movie is weakest when they deviate from other versions. Not only they got rid of several songs from the musical and the original movie (some of which are still lief motifs in the score, weirdly enough), they were substituted with new songs that, while they are good in isolation, I feel like they clash with the rest of the numbers, making them feel more like a patch than as a part of the movie. Did we really need new songs to take the place of "Human Again" or "Home"? Also, most of the new subplots (like Belle finding out how her mother died via a magical book that sends her to Paris) feel downright weird. Basically, the original animated movie was so good and succint that the material they added to make this a two hour movie feels superfluous.

Also, the action filled climax is a real mood whiplash in live action, and its pace feels off somehow. But that means "The Mob Song" is left intact, so it is forgiven.

DISCLAIMER: I might be more forgiving than usual because I find Emma Watson so charming that my critic circuit might have malfunctioned.

Last edited by Positronic Brain; 03-19-2017 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:01 AM
This Guy

I think you've pretty much got it. It is frequently well made, but it may be to most unnecessary movie ever made. It's got good actors giving good performances, but it only occasionally reaches the bar set by the animated version.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:17 AM
Gesundheit!

Get Out: This movie doesn't need my help being recommended (it's amazing), so I'll just say that the inclusion of Allison Williams from Girls, the whitest show on television, as a sort of white privilege scream queen is a particularly brilliant piece of casting.

Weiner: This is top-tier real-life cringe comedy, and I can't believe the level of access the filmmakers got to every last embarrassing moment. Weiner was clearly trying to film his own War Room underdog story, but instead ended up with the inverse, and stuck with it to the end anyway.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Mystery Contraption

Another MST3K episode watched with Merlins Shop of Mystical Wonders, starring an aging Ernest Borgnine who wants nothing more than to terrify his grandson with two episodes of a failed TV pilot about Merlin handing out fatal ironic punishments.

It's... Uh...

It's a trip.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Another MST3K episode watched with Merlins Shop of Mystical Wonders, starring an aging Ernest Borgnine who wants nothing more than to terrify his grandson with two episodes of a failed TV pilot about Merlin handing out fatal ironic punishments.

It's... Uh...

It's a trip.
THRILL as a woman threatens to mace Merlin for asking her after the whereabouts of a cursed monkey
Old 03-20-2017, 07:13 PM
Banned

To be fair he was going around on the street asking people "Have you seen my little monkey?"
Old 03-22-2017, 08:57 AM

Class of 1999 is a movie from 1990 that has Pam Grier playing a schoolteacher who is also a Terminator with a flamethrower arm.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:31 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
Class of 1999 is a movie from 1990 that has Pam Grier playing a schoolteacher who is also a Terminator with a flamethrower arm.
That sounds like an Octo kind of movie.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:33 AM
Mystery Contraption

I was about to say!
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 AM
For Great Apollo Justice

Quote:
Class of 1999 is a movie from 1990 that has Pam Grier
For the record, if you need the definition of "a Sven kind of movie"....
Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 AM
#deadfish2017

Quote:

It's... Uh...

It's a trip.
I watched this one late at night and questioned if I was dreaming or high

I'm kinda surprised it was chosen to be one of the Netflix twenty.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:22 AM

The full plot of Class of 1999 is: in the near future, enemies from Streets of Rage have infested our school systems and turned them into war zones. Kennedy High School in Seattle has gotten so out of hand that Principal Malcolm McDowell hires 1980s Evil Science Corp. to bring in three repurposed military cyborgs to serve as teachers.

Because the CEO of Evil Science Corp. has bad and naughty plans, the three cyborgs waste no time in disciplining students to death. So then Ex-Gang not-Corey Feldman Protag and Principal's Daughter have to figure out how to stop the teacher terminators from killing all their friends and getting away with it.

There is a made-up drug called "Edge" that looks like it's stored in shotgun shells.

The film is apparently a sequel to a movie called Class of 1984, which I haven't seen, but which seems to star pre-DeLorean Michael J. Fox and the other McDowell, but zero cyborgs.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:30 AM
Oily Butt Thing

so it's like The Substitute, but the evil cyborg teacher is not actually the hero.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Better be the real thing.

I've seen Class of 1984. Zero cyborgs, but nonzero amounts of Timothy "Master Ninja" Van Patten being menacing, and a shockingly violent climax.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
The full plot of Class of 1999 is: in the near future, enemies from Streets of Rage have infested our school systems and turned them into war zones. Kennedy High School in Seattle has gotten so out of hand that Principal Malcolm McDowell hires 1980s Evil Science Corp. to bring in three repurposed military cyborgs to serve as teachers.

Because the CEO of Evil Science Corp. has bad and naughty plans, the three cyborgs waste no time in disciplining students to death. So then Ex-Gang not-Corey Feldman Protag and Principal's Daughter have to figure out how to stop the teacher terminators from killing all their friends and getting away with it.

There is a made-up drug called "Edge" that looks like it's stored in shotgun shells.

The film is apparently a sequel to a movie called Class of 1984, which I haven't seen, but which seems to star pre-DeLorean Michael J. Fox and the other McDowell, but zero cyborgs.
Dude, you already made the sale, you can stop advertising!

Also, on MST3K, I have now watched The Horror of Spider Island, which I initially mistook for The Giant Spider Invasion, so that was kind of disappointing. Also disappointing was the movie itself. If Merlins Shop had no idea what it was doing, this one knew exactly what purpose it served. Opening with Sexy Starlets dancing, and then being stranded on a desert/Spidery island with naught but bikinis to protect them from the werespider that was their handsome talent agent.

Nominally, at least. The movie is about a 90/10 split of Bikini Modelling to Spider Horror. And with cinematography so poor it can't really claim to be doing either usefully. Also, every single woman in the film (which is, again, 90% of the cast) is so utterly helpless that they can't do anything without a man to help them. At several point Needing to be picked up, carried around and stacked like cordwood.

It's not a terribly progressive film in several key respects.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:13 AM

It's possible that Spider Island treats its women worse than any other film featured on MST3K, and there is some serious competition.

Good riffing, though probably disappointing if you were expecting a classic like Spider Invasion.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:13 AM
Mystery Contraption

It gets to the point that even Crow starts to complain about it.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:38 PM

If accuracy to the original novel is your thing, I doubt you could find better than Count Dracula, a 1977 BBC film starring Louis Jourdan as the count. It follows the plot almost exactly, with the notable exception of smushing Arthur Holmwood and Quincy Morris into a single character - basically retaining all of Quincy's traits but giving him Arthur's story beats.

It's also the rare adaptation of the novel that doesn't romanticize Dracula at all. There's no time-lost connection with Mina (thank God) and he's never portrayed as anything other than a monster.

I'm only disappointed that despite all of the slavish accuracy to Stoker, Drac still doesn't sport the 'stache.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:56 PM
Mystery Contraption

Default BEEF MCLARGEHUGE

Space Mutiny didn't actually need any riffs. Every facet of the movie is a riff. If anything, as good as the overdubbing was, it detracted from the film on the whole.

It's hard to pick a single best scene.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:23 PM
Space dad

I'd say the names alone justify the riffs.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:34 PM
????? LV 13 HP 292/

Quote:
I'm only disappointed that despite all of the slavish accuracy to Stoker, Drac still doesn't sport the 'stache.
Is that slavish or slavic?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 PM

WE PUT OUR FAITH IN BLAST HARDCHEESE.

Tags
fast and fury road , fear of new threads , film , francoquest , francostein , james franco , jess franco , movies , reviews , you seen fury road , you'll like fury road