The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 01-30-2017, 05:54 PM
Crazy Old Bird

Capaldi is my favorite Doctor by a mile,* but it makes sense for the Doctor to leave when the showrunner does. Here's hoping the following season is a soft reboot to create another organic jumping-on point. My husband brought me in on with Matt Smith and it was a lot easier to get invested in the show when I only had one season to catch up on, instead of five.

*Only seen the new show
Old 01-30-2017, 10:40 PM
Out Of Warranty

Aw, man, I'll really miss Capaldi 😥

Yeah, silver lining, the new showrunner being able to define his Doctor from day zero is good...

So, who do we have to petition for that female Doctor?
Old 01-31-2017, 01:48 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

Surely they can't overlook Nicholas Lyndhurst again.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:01 AM
It's all good, man

Depending what happens, I might use the departures of Moffat and Capaldi as a jumping off point.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:00 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I think Capaldi is a great Doctor, but he can only elevate Moffat's latter-day scripts so much. The Christmas special was hot, hot garbage and I can't wait to see Moffat gone. I'd like to see Capaldi have a chance with someone else at the helm but if we must lose him to be rid of Moffat, I'll consider it a deal well struck.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Life depends on change

I understand why people want Moffat gone/dislike his scripts (I don't, I'll be sad to see him go), but it's not like Chibnall is going to start shitting out masterpieces. Season 11 is going to be very, very interesting... I wish him well, I still want the show to be good, of course. I just don't know how confident I am that he'll pull it off... I hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:11 AM
That bug is NUTS!

I just think Moffat's lost the thread of it. His early stories were often good to great, but the last season or so episodes have just been a confusing mess. It feels to me like he's writing backward rather than forward, like he'll have an idea for a climax or big moment and then arrange a story that supports that, logical progression be damned.

He's had considerably more misses than hits lately and I just think it's time to give someone else a chance.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:12 AM
whatever it takes

Oh, I have no confidence in Chris Chibnall either, based on his track record. But my Moffat-hate is a powerful, raging beast that cannot be reasoned with, so I'll still take "bad, but in a different way."
Old 01-31-2017, 08:23 AM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornGhost View Post
I just think Moffat's lost the thread of it. His early stories were often good to great, but the last season or so episodes have just been a confusing mess. It feels to me like he's writing backward rather than forward, like he'll have an idea for a climax or big moment and then arrange a story that supports that, logical progression be damned.
I had some issues with season 9 - the middle part of that season is a mess, even though I really do like the Zygon episodes - but overall I liked it. It was all worth it for Heaven Sent/Hell Bent, for me.

But then, Clara in season 8 and 9 might be my favorite companion. Not sure, but she's up there.

Quote:
He's had considerably more misses than hits lately and I just think it's time to give someone else a chance.
...though I do agree with this, generally. I thought season 8 was excellent pretty much from start to finish, and that it's his best season overall, but that aside, season 7 is the worst season of NuWho by a mile, season 6 had some fun stuff in it but was a mess, and like I said above, 9 had issues. For me, he's only had seasons 5 and 8 as his real good seasons, everything else is wildly hit or miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
Oh, I have no confidence in Chris Chibnall either, based on his track record. But my Moffat-hate is a powerful, raging beast that cannot be reasoned with, so I'll still take "bad, but in a different way."
Yeah, I'm not going to sit here and lament how Moffat is the only person who should ever run Who or whatever (the show needs to change, I'm 100% on board with that), and I admittedly don't know who else could potentially take over because I'm unfamiliar with the British TV landscape outside Who, but freaking Chibnall? The first season of Broadchurch was pretty good, though for me that was mostly down to the acting, not the scripts...
Old 01-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
Also, the Doctor was sort of part of the Marvel Universe (EDIT: sorry, Multiverse) for a brief bit, just like G.I. Joe, The Transformers and the Micronauts were. Not that he met any major characters to my knowledge but if memory serves, he met a character named Saturnine (or was it Saturn-9?) who would later appear in Alan Moore's Captain Britain series.
Ha, you made me curious enough to go and look that character up on the Marvel wiki to see if I could work out when that happened, but it doesn't look like it did? Maybe it was just a cameo or something. A DW/Captain Britain crossover seems like something that should definitely have happened at some point.

There were some crossovers but I think it was all Marvel UK stuff like Death's Head, Dr Who never made it into the big leagues with the Fantastic Four or anything like that.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:24 PM
Crazy Old Bird

What's the issue with Chibnall? I've only seen Broadchurch, and liked it well enough.

Moffat has plenty of issues with characterization and plot, but the climax to Matt Smith's run is so gloriously stupid that it becomes beautiful. I love it.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:17 PM
This way up

The trouble with Chibnall is that everything he's written for Doctor Who has been well nigh unwatchable.

"The Power of Three" is probably his most entertaining episode, and that literally revolves around a man just staring at a box for months on end.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:22 PM
whatever it takes

He also carries the indelible stink of Torchwood upon him
Old 01-31-2017, 05:01 PM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teaspoon View Post
The trouble with Chibnall is that everything he's written for Doctor Who has been well nigh unwatchable.

"The Power of Three" is probably his most entertaining episode, and that literally revolves around a man just staring at a box for months on end.
I kinda like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship... Doesn't hold up on rewatches, though. Hungry Earth/Cold Blood are the most boring Moffat-era episodes. Power of Three has it's moments, and Tennant/Agyeman lift 42 beyond its script, but... bleh. Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
He also carries the indelible stink of Torchwood upon him
Not even the good Torchwood (which is Children of Earth, the third series, which is EXCELLENT). He wrote Cyberwoman, which is cringeworthy at best.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:50 AM
It's all good, man

Torchwood's five second theme song deserved a better show than Torchwood
Old 02-01-2017, 05:54 AM
Life depends on change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Torchwood's five second theme song deserved a better show than Torchwood
I don't know what you're talking about

(the above is from Chibnall's episode)
Old 02-02-2017, 04:43 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazin View Post
He wrote Cyberwoman
Oh.

Oh dear.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:52 PM
who's she

Man, I am so ambivalent about seasons 8 and 9. They're either the best two seasons in the history of the show, or they're evidence that Moffat should get sent back to creative writing 101. Maybe both.

He definitely needs someone to read through his scripts and say "Take out the fanboy bullshit and have the characters do something that reminds us why we like them."

Also, "Don't put in a season-long mystery if you're not going to do anything with it."
Old 03-14-2017, 05:51 AM
Life depends on change

Series ten trailer:

Old 03-17-2017, 11:03 AM
whatever it takes

Classic-ass Cybermen!
Old 03-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Life depends on change

Hell yes. I hope they have the original voices, too. Seems like Capaldi got his wish - he's said in numerous interviews he wants them back.
Old 03-22-2017, 06:20 AM
Life depends on change

Alright, fellow Doctor Who nerds, I need to know before season ten starts. What are your opinions on the various missing episode audios? I've listened to all the Troughton episodes and am working through Hartnell now as I wait for a huge shipment of DVDs I ordered to finish out his era on TV. Started Myth Makers last night and am very much enjoying it. Struggled to get through Marco Polo, probably for a variety of reasons (it being a seven parter, probably very visual in nature, etc).

There are several Troughton episodes that hold up very well on audio, though. Power of the Daleks (which I listened to for the first time - yes, I've listened to it more than once - just before the animated DVD was announced) is excellent, definitely one of the best episodes of classic Who. Evil holds up, for the most part, too, but that one seems a bit more visual. Macra Terror almost works better as an audio due to the nature of how the Macra work - hidden in the shadows, the characters in the colony deny their existence until the end of the story, etc. Apparently they were a terrible visual effect anyway. It'd be nice to see Fury from the Deep, too, but it works pretty well on audio. The Highlanders is a weirdo episode, and I enjoyed listening to it if only to hear Troughton be kind of crazy throughout (he pretends to be German, crossdresses, just generally kind of fucks around the whole story, moreso than usual). Space Pirates/Wheel in Space kind of suck, though. Just slogs to get through, and from what I hear, the visuals wouldn't add much.

Anyway, these are all available from Audible with linking narration by various cast members, which is how I'm listening to them (although at this point, it might be cheaper to just buy the CDs, but I've gotten several of these for free over the past two years with Audible trials, so I don't know lol). I'd recommend Power of the Daleks if you don't want to watch the animation (which kind of sucks so I wouldn't blame you), Evil of the Daleks, Macra Terror, and so far, Myth Makers is a lot of fun. After Myth Makers is Daleks Master Plan, which will take probably a week to get through, though I hear it's good.

Anyway, hit me with your opinions on these. I like reading opinions of this stuff from TTers.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:41 AM
Crazy Old Bird

Bill is gay. That's neat.
Old 04-01-2017, 07:10 AM
Life depends on change

Yes, yes it is. I find myself looking forward to season 10 quite a bit... dare we hope the Doctor regenerates into a woman, too? I sure would love to piss off the inexplicably rightwing Who fans further...
Old 04-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Out Of Warranty

How did I miss this? John Sims will be back as The Master this season, and apparently will share a scene with Michelle Gomez's Master. So I think are we are getting a regeneration story at the worst, or, best case scenario, a honest-to-goodness Master team-up.
Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite View Post
Bill is gay. That's neat.
And she has also been confirmed to last only one season because we can't have nice things we can't ever have a companion that doesn't love the Doctor unconditionally BBC just wants to boast they finally did it but they hate the whole idea Moffat "wants to leave a clean slate for the next showrunner."

Aaaaargh.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:05 AM
This way up

D'you really want to see Chris Chibnall write a lesbian companion, though?

do you really want to see Chibnall write anything, sob
Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 AM
It's all good, man

One season is probably enough for most companions
Old 04-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Life depends on change

Quote:
I just hope Bill isn't one of the companions who isn't used very well for their one season... I liked Martha quite a bit, and felt she left too soon, same for Polly and Ben in the classic series (though I was fine with Victoria leaving after one season for the much more interesting Zoe).

If we're including the classic series, I'd say most of the good companions were around for more than one season. Barbara, Ian, Jamie, Jo Grant, Sarah Jane, Leela, Romana, Tegan, Ace... all of them have really good stuff in more than one season (and can you imagine if Sarah Jane left at the end of the abysmal season 11 of the classic run? She'd have never come back for School Reunion, that's for sure).

If we're limiting ourselves to the new series... besides Martha, there's Rose, who was done at the end of the second season because I was pretty fed up with her by that point, to be honest (though she's still a great character). Donna should have gotten so many more adventures, frankly (and a better ending). Amy and Rory had a good two seasons, but season seven was so half-baked, they'd have been fine leaving sooner. Back half of season seven for Clara was terrible, but I really enjoyed her in seasons 8 and 9.

So, anyway, I guess I disagree, generally. One season usually isn't enough for most companions, IMO.
Old 04-11-2017, 11:51 AM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
There are probably very good arguments towards that from a storytelling or character development standpoint, but "I want to give the next guy a clean slate" is not such argument.

I said it before: Moffat will absolutely smash the set at the end of his run.

Tags
bad wolf , basically run , bbc , capaldimania , dalektable , danny divito , derpy is best companion , doctor who , i'm the tin dog , jackie is a selling point , literal slap in the face , reverse gender polarity , reverse the polarity , sci-fi , tardis , television , time travel , timey wimey stuff