The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > Talking about food

Old 05-22-2016, 08:02 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Corn is in the ground, cleared out a bunch of weeds and moss and put down a bunch of wildflower seeds. Hopefully they take!
Old 05-23-2016, 06:26 AM
Gesundheit!

We just put our basil, tomatoes and eggplant in the ground, since it looks like Michigan's unpredictable cold snaps are behind us. My wife's been studying up and planning like crazy so hopefully this is the summer everything grows as planned.
Old 05-23-2016, 05:44 PM
actually an eevee

^unlikely; first law of farming, your shit will get fucked when you can least afford it. But good luck!

Also, the farming blog par excellence: http://www.waldeneffect.org/
Old 06-06-2016, 04:22 PM
le petite mort

FIRST BLACK BEANS OF THE SEASON SWEET JESUS

I had to stop gorging my face on these so I could take pictures. You're welcome.

The two pods at the top are immature. I picked them For Science™, just to see what they tasted like. (Verdict: awful.) But anyways, I had no idea that black beans were those brilliant shade of purples as they were developing. They really are very pretty!

When I manage to muster the self-discipline not to eat them right off the vine, I've got a future pot of chili and black bean burgers with their names on 'em. Good thing is, there's probably a hundred more pods maturing right now, and I've got about 20 or 30 plants that haven't even started to flower yet, so I'm going to be pretty set on beans for a long while. (I've got pinto beans growing, as well as sugar snaps and several different kinds of string beans/garden beans/whatever.)
Old 06-06-2016, 08:04 PM
Dr. Pee Wee Kissinger

So I just caught the gardening bug last week, and now we've got a little pot (hehe) garden on our front porch. The strawberries were already coming in when we bought the plant, but we had to throw some netting over it because of those damn crows. My spearmint was ready to go, so I made Mojitos with it day one (delicious). Tomato plant is looking about to produce, but my Jalapeno plant is still a ways away from maturity (and then it will be time to buy a pickling kit).

And of course our trellis got stolen so we have to get a new one before the cucumber and zucchini are ready to be moved.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:26 PM
le petite mort

Oh man, it turns out you're not supposed to eat black beans raw. Whoops!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Not a Beer

Yeahhhhh, apparently that's a really bad idea. You doing okay, gahitsu?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:52 PM
le petite mort

Oh, I'm totally fine, actually! I only found out when I went to go look at how to harvest black beans, which came after I did some initial harvesting, which is a bit of cart before the horse but MY ENTHUSIASM FOR FRESH PRODUCE WILL NOT BE CONTAINED

Blackberries! Wild blackberries from the forest! These tupperwares were both full before the carnage, and also there was another one, a twin of the larger one on the bottom. I could easily gather the same amount tomorrow, and I probably will, since my sister loves these little babies.

Blackberries and blueberries! Those blueberries are not, alas, wild. Also birds love 'em, but not as much as a bunch of toddlers and kindergartners.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:24 PM
Little Waves

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Oh man, it turns out you're not supposed to eat black beans raw. Whoops!
Oh, no...

Old 06-08-2016, 05:39 PM
gatchapon 3*

i can't figure out why my san marzano is yellow =(
Old 06-08-2016, 07:40 PM
actually an eevee

you mean leaves or fruit?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:35 PM
gatchapon 3*

The leaves. It looks sallow, but it's still growing fruit?
Old 06-09-2016, 07:02 PM
actually an eevee

From an annual's perspective, the best use of its energy is going into seeds, since it won't survive the winter anyway, so that's not necessarily surprising.

yellow leaves can be nutrients (too little water, too much water, fertility of the soil) or pests. Check under the leaves to see if there is any fuzz or spots under them.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:01 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gahitsu View Post
Blackberries! Wild blackberries from the forest! These tupperwares were both full before the carnage, and also there was another one, a twin of the larger one on the bottom. I could easily gather the same amount tomorrow, and I probably will, since my sister loves these little babies.
<3 <3 <3

Cannot wait for fresh blackberry season here. Should be sooooooon. (As long as this sudden heatwave doesn't hurt them...)
Old 06-22-2016, 09:39 AM
Gesundheit!

Harvested a whole bunch of arugula yesterday. This is already a huge leap ahead of last summer, so we must be doing something right this time (investing in a bunch of community garden compost definitely helped).
Old 06-26-2016, 11:53 AM
actually an eevee

Welp, the basil plant Kishi got me had a good run, and it's going out with some nice flower spikes. (Kishi I think we should get another one when this one has gone to seed!)
Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM
actually an eevee

So either basil plants can self pollenate or some bees magically showed up during the brief period I've had this plant outside, because there are tiny goddamn seeds in the dried up flowers! I read that it sprouts from seed rather easily, so I'm going to just throw some in every pot I've got and see what takes
Old 07-29-2016, 03:41 PM
What Time Is It?

I got a bunch of tomatoes that aren't going to ripen until after I am out of town for a long stretch. I bought Early Girls! I should be a week or two into tomato eating!
Old 08-15-2016, 07:00 AM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Corn is growing well and creating pollen!

Since I don't plant that many and they're not as close together as they should be I manually pollinate mine. It's a relaxing thing to do before work and helps me get a better idea of how things are growing.

In case anyone else needs to do it, pretty much you collect pollen from the top of the plant and use a paintbrush to cover the silks on the actual cobs. Here's a video walking through the process (the sound is too quiet but it's clear what's going on).
Old 08-15-2016, 10:33 AM
-ryn

I have a new house that has a much bigger yard and i want to dedicate a larger space to garden b/c after 2 weeks, I'm sick of mowing.
I want to do a raised bed, but I don't want to break the bank and I don't want it to fall apart in a couple years.

I did one out of wood at my last house and it worked ok, but the wood warped really bad and weeds and centipede grass came up through the sides really bad.

I've got a space that I could go as large as 12' wide and as long as 75', but I'm thinking of expanding in stages. I'd like to grow some pretty standard stuff (beans, tomatos, corn, onions, carrots) all that I've done before. I'd also like to experiment with growing some grains.

Any great ideas or raised bed designs that have worked well for others in the past?
Old 08-15-2016, 06:48 PM
gatchapon 3*

my peach tree had so much fruit on it (after repeated thinnings, no less) that two of its main branches straight tore off, leaving me with over 100 lbs of fruit. I donated most of it to a food bank, but the tree has at least that much more still on the damn thing. it's insane.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:49 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivam View Post
my peach tree had so much fruit on it (after repeated thinnings, no less) that two of its main branches straight tore off, leaving me with over 100 lbs of fruit. I donated most of it to a food bank, but the tree has at least that much more still on the damn thing. it's insane.
Can it and enter it into the state fair!
Old 09-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default I've started a garden.

Used a string to draw circles in the dirt and lined up rocks for a water table.

Topsoil 6 inches deep. I tossed popcorn into the dirt and it sprouted! Sadly it won't survive the coming frost. Rain from the roof enters one side and floods the table evenly. The old BBQ grill is a mulch pit full of weeds and worms and cuttings from salads.
Old 02-01-2017, 10:00 AM
actually an eevee

Basil, a photoalbum
https://goo.gl/photos/jfSnkiBvGShYWUMR8
Old 03-07-2017, 01:42 PM
Banned

Disheveled and unkempt! But there is new progress.

I dug a lawn from a rain sluice out back.

Here's where the lawn came from. You can't hardly tell now.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Looks like the daffodils I planted are starting to sprout!

I need to start thinking about what to do for the garden this year. There are still piles of snow right now and this winter did some damage so we may have to skip gardening and just do repair/landscape stuff. Hmm.

Also I'm glad someone else is as confused about the tags for this thread as I am.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:19 AM
Not a Beer

Man, it's been in the 70s for ages here and all the spring stuff is up and blooming... and this weekend it's supposed to drop to the 20s and snow. Poor plants are gonna have a rough time of it.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:45 PM
actually an eevee

cover them over if it will get above freezing during the day and they're something you'd like to not freeze
Old 03-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Shill for Big Cow DNA

Cheerios is giving away free wildflower seeds.
Old 03-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Not a Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady View Post
cover them over if it will get above freezing during the day and they're something you'd like to not freeze
That'd be a neat trick with my 20-foot cherry tree currently just starting to bloom. (The tree will be fine but I'm afraid we may lose a lot of our nice cherry-blossom times this year.)

Tags
..."bitches"? , bitches , herbs , vegetables