The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 05-26-2014, 04:17 PM
GASP

Dresden is constantly getting slapped in the face with how wrong his worldview is. An author who agrees with that worldview in any way wouldn't write that.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Inscaper

Sorry I was being snarky, implying that Butcher is not very good at what he does (writing). I really have no idea what his personal views are.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:27 PM

I was going to say that the Codex Alera had the female characters as capable as the males, if not more so.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:29 PM
GASP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Dead Junkie View Post
Sorry I was being snarky, implying that Butcher is not very good at what he does (writing). I really have no idea what his personal views are.
Sorry; I did read that as you thinking Butcher has the same values as Harry. I've seen that criticism before and it baffles me for reasons stated above.

If you just don't like his writing, that's cool.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:51 PM
Are You Sure About That?

It's also worth noting that he's improved a lot over the first few books.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Oily Butt Thing

yeah, I think even his die-hardest fans will still admit that the first five or so range from "a'ight" to "radioactive shit."

In that way it occurs to me that he's the opposite of Laurell Hamilton. The first five Anita Blake yarns are the only ones that are halfway readable.

he's since leveled off at "pretty good serial pulp I will happily bum off my friend who buys the hardcovers."
Old 05-27-2014, 02:48 AM
Are You Sure About That?

As is obvious to anyone who reads the short blurb describing Skin Game, it's basically Ocean's Eleven set in the Dresden-verse.

It is also fuck awesome (I may have just mainlined the entire thing instead of sleeping).

Probably need to reread it once or twice more to catch all the nuances, but yeah. This one's shaping up to be as important as Blood Rites was in terms of reaching impact.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:39 PM

I got my copy in the mail today. I also finished reading it today. And I'm also going to probably read it a couple more times before the weekend is done, it was that good.

Demonic Bigfoot and a Holy Lightsaber!
Old 05-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Are You Sure About That?

There's a couple parts where I legit teared up a bit, and laughed my ass off.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:29 PM
Outraged!

I haven't read a Dresden book in many years. Would I need to get caught up before reading this one or is continuity not that big of an issue?
Old 05-29-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpfriction View Post
I haven't read a Dresden book in many years. Would I need to get caught up before reading this one or is continuity not that big of an issue?
Depends on what the last one you read was. If you've read Changes, you'd be more or less good to go, minus some importnat Fairy stuff you'd catch up on mildly quick. Otherwise, Lots of big stuff and you'd need to catch up back a ways.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Outraged!

Hmm, looks like Proven Guilty was the last one I read. Guess I have some catching up to do!
Old 05-29-2014, 08:47 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I started reading Storm Front. I'm not quite to chapter 5 and I'm already disgusted by the protagonist...
Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 PM
Are You Sure About That?

Storm Front's probably the roughest out of the first five books that were all published pretty quickly. Harry as a character develops and changes almost constantly throughout the series, but as he hasn't had the blinders ripped off yet regarding his more prominent issues, he is something of an ass in the first few books, yeah.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:59 PM
Mystery Contraption

Long before Skin Game came out, my mental image of Nicodemus was that of an Evil George Clooney.

And here he is, coordinating an impossible heist with the assistance of likeable thieves and miscreants.

And a Bigfoot.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:15 PM

I just finished Storm Front. It was an entertaining pulp that mashed up noir, Philip Marlowe style detective escapades along with all the standard fantasy tropes. But it was also very rough in spots with some thin plotting and some lazy character creation.

But reading through this thread it sounds like it gets better as the series goes along? And that maybe the casual chauvinism of the first book gets reined in as the series develops?

Still, I think I'll try at least one more book in the series since my library has it available as an audiobook I can download to my phone. But some of the comments sounds like the second book, Full Moon, is pretty bad. Should I skip it and go onto book three or should I go ahead and listen to the series in order?
Old 02-25-2017, 12:23 PM
Mystery Contraption

Full Moon is easily the worst of the lot. And is totally skippable to boot. Harry befriending some Werewolf vigilantes who become minor recurring characters afterward is the only thing of significance that happens in it.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:36 PM
Oily Butt Thing

yeah the werewolves are of no interest until they become Dresden's comic relief D&D buddies.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:38 PM

I put books two and three on hold at the library. Hopefully book three will be available first and I can skip straight to that but if book two arrives first I might go with that one if there's nothing else in the queue.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:09 PM
Bob

I'm pretty sure Butcher was only eighteen (18!) years old when he wrote the first book, and wasn't much older when he wrote the next few, either. I don't think the first few are very good, but they do serve as nice background for the rest of the series.

I don't think the books are written alllllllllllll that well, but the universe is pretty neat and well worth reading the books for.
Old 02-26-2017, 07:55 AM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raider Dr. Jones View Post
yeah the werewolves are of no interest until they become Dresden's comic relief D&D buddies.
Hey, Harry is his own comic-relief.

If anything, they're the collective straight-man.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 AM
:O

I keep reading these even though I'm not 100% sure I like them anymore. Harry never reallys gets more tolerable.
Old 02-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Oily Butt Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
I keep reading these even though I'm not 100% sure I like them anymore. Harry never reallys gets more tolerable.
the addictive power of serial fiction.

but yeah, the supporting cast was way, way more of a draw for me not far into the series.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:27 AM
Inherently Stealthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
I just finished Storm Front. It was an entertaining pulp that mashed up noir, Philip Marlowe style detective escapades along with all the standard fantasy tropes. But it was also very rough in spots with some thin plotting and some lazy character creation.

But reading through this thread it sounds like it gets better as the series goes along? And that maybe the casual chauvinism of the first book gets reined in as the series develops?

Still, I think I'll try at least one more book in the series since my library has it available as an audiobook I can download to my phone. But some of the comments sounds like the second book, Full Moon, is pretty bad. Should I skip it and go onto book three or should I go ahead and listen to the series in order?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Full Moon is easily the worst of the lot. And is totally skippable to boot. Harry befriending some Werewolf vigilantes who become minor recurring characters afterward is the only thing of significance that happens in it.
Fool Moon is awful.

So in general the first three books are best treated as a trilogy where Butcher wasn't quite sure what he was writing yet, because that's what they were. Storm Front is a stock mystery with supernatural goop on top. Fool Moon reads more like an attempt at a Discworld-style parody of existing urban fantasy, with its extended digressions into the taxonomy of werewolves, except it simply isn't funny at all. Grave Peril introduces a bunch of new elements that have Been There All Along (TM) to start to build into a more cohesive basis for an ongoing series. Summer Knight pretty much swaps out the entire cosmology for one that's much more interesting, and kicks off almost every plot thread that will recur throughout the rest of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umby View Post
I'm pretty sure Butcher was only eighteen (18!) years old when he wrote the first book, and wasn't much older when he wrote the next few, either. I don't think the first few are very good, but they do serve as nice background for the rest of the series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodal View Post
Nah he was born in '71 and Storm Front was published in 2000. He did, though, write it to be as formulaic and generic as he could possibly get away with, and surprised himself by winding up with something both publishable and readable. This is why, for example, the books feature a literal talking head who delivers exposition.

I'm uncertain of Butcher's personal politics; his works were on the infectious canines' slate, but they made a point of picking popular authors to hitch their wagon to, so that says little. I choose to read Harry as an unreliable narrator; the narration is colored by his personal biases, which actual events often go out of their way to contradict.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:08 AM
Bob

Yeah, I got the facts wrong, but at least the general idea correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
he wrote the first book in The Dresden Files—about a professional wizard, named Harry Dresden, in modern-day Chicago—as an exercise for a writing course in 1996 at the age of 25.