The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about books

Old 01-09-2017, 05:13 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Default TTBC January 2017 - Spook Country by William Gibson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Spook Country is a 2007 novel by speculative fiction author William Gibson. A political thriller set in contemporary North America. The plot comprises the intersecting tales of three protagonists: Hollis Henry, a musician-turned-journalist researching a story on locative art; Tito, a young Cuban-Chinese operative whose family is on occasion in the employ of a renegade ex-CIA agent; and Milgrim, a drug-addled translator held captive by Brown, a strangely authoritarian and secretive man. Themes explored include the ubiquity of locative technology, the eversion of cyberspace and the political climate of the United States in the aftermath of the September 11, 2001 attacks.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:41 AM
There he is!

Out of the three Bigend books (Pattern Recognition, this one and Zero History), this is probably my least favourite, but it's been a while since I read it.
Old 01-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Disco time!

I enjoyed Zero History the least, but that was entirely because I read it years after the other two, and had a hard time remembering characters from the previous books. I knew it shared the same protagonist as Spook Country, but I didn't expect it to be so twined with its predecessors.

Also, thinking of Spook Country, I really loved it halfway through when the storylines converge in Vancouver. I already lived here at the time, and its sense of place lined up with my sense of place, to the point that I could place the characters on my mental map. It was so unexpected yet bang on.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:03 PM
Unreliable Narrator

Just finished! It started out reminding me of Pynchon's Inherent Vice but the final caper at the end felt more Neal Stephenson. I haven't read any Gibson since the Difference Engine (which he co-wrote) but his writing style seems different than I remember in the Sprawl books (which admittedly I haven't read since the 80s.)

Maybe I should read some of his other books!
Old 01-29-2017, 06:48 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

Gibson sure does like his tangents doesn't he?
Old 02-02-2017, 05:57 PM
Threadcromantosaurus Rex

I kept thinking things like the helicopter, or the blue ant statue or the maglev bed would lead somewhere... But they didn't.