The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 06-29-2013, 03:49 PM
More than two problems

Default Game Grumps

SHUT UP

YOU SHUT UP

I LOVE THESE GUYS

JonTron not so much. Not since the incident.

Welcome to Game Grumps!

Let Arin (who is grump) and Danny (who is not so grump, and is also Dan (Daaaaaaan)) entertain you with new videos every day of the week! Who could forget such classics as Super Mario Sunshine, Wheel of Fortune, and Sonic Boom?

But wait! There's Grumpcade and Steam Train, too! Watch Barry and Ross learn how to draw in Pokemon Art Academy. And don't forget their live stage tours, which are so taxing on Arin and Danny's health that we get solo series such as Just the Arins, with Arin playing Mega Man X, and Let's Have a Chill Space Time, with Danny playing Space Quest III!

NEXT TIME ON GAME GRUMPS:
Share your favorite Game Grumps moments here

Come on, do it

Don't be scared

SHARE THEM

Last edited by Dart Zaidyer; 03-14-2017 at 11:38 AM. Reason: 2017 edition
Old 06-29-2013, 03:52 PM
That Pokemon Guy

This is a normal part of my MP3 rotation.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Cobra and Phases Group

I kind of gave up on them it when it became apparent Sonic '06 was never going to end. I have a feeling it broke them like it broke me watching it. As in, "things are never going to be the same again."
Old 06-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

Sonic '06 was consistently hilarious for a long time, but the Silver campaign really did just start dragging on and on. Part of that is because neither of them bothered to learn how to play the character, which caused a lot of unfocused boredom, which made for some bad videos.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
RAD RAT

Default Game Grumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
Sonic '06 was consistently hilarious for a long time, but the Silver campaign really did just start dragging on and on. Part of that is because neither of them bothered to learn how to play the character, which caused a lot of unfocused boredom, which made for some bad videos.
And this seemed to become more and more prominent in their other videos, I kinda stopped watching after Naughty Bear, it was at that point where I was certain making videos so often would just make them sloppy and disinterested, that and Arin getting on his soapbox got really annoying.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:17 PM
concern troll

I'm mostly upset that we won't see the rest of Super Star Wars.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:22 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

There are moments of Grumps that have me in hysterics. Don't Listen to Protoman is one of the funniest things. However, I'm a little soured by that period where they could not quit it with the "ironic" racism.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I'm mostly upset that we won't see the rest of Super Star Wars.
Oh snap I didn't even think of that.

Well thanks for making me sad, McClain!
Old 06-29-2013, 04:25 PM
That Pokemon Guy

I think the videos I really enjoyed were the Castlevania ones, because at the time I had never beaten Castlevania, and I got to live Jon's torment.

Castlevania III was the same, even though I'd beaten it, because I HAD BEEN THERE.

Pokemon Emerald always made me want to scream at them though.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:54 PM

I watched a few episodes of the Steam Train guys playing Castle Crashers, and mainly came away with it feeling like the guys were trying too hard to be Jon and Arin. I didn't feel so much like they were two dudes sharing a game together, as they were two dudes making an internet show about Castle Crashers.

So I don't know. I'll give it another couple of games to see whether New guy can get his bearings, but if not, I'll probably just unsubscribe.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:58 PM
RAD RAT

Default Game Grumps

I honestly thought they were getting stale and unfunny long before this came around so I have even less interest in these new guys now.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:00 PM
concern troll

I like some game grumps, but it's kind of hit-or-miss, and I have to be in the mood. Mostly I like it when they playing a game one of them really likes, like the Shatterhand ones.

I find it really odd that they JUST launched a bunch of merch with Jon's face on it. I think there was some deeper weirdness or falling out than they are letting on.

I have Zero interest in steam train right now, but the new guy is OK on game grumps. But again, they are starting with games he really likes, so it's not going to be the norm.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClain View Post
I like some game grumps, but it's kind of hit-or-miss, and I have to be in the mood. Mostly I like it when they playing a game one of them really likes, like the Shatterhand ones.
Those were always the best, yeah. Also up there were the genuinely "wtf" games that neither of them seemed to know what to do with, like the violent teddy bear game, or the spice girls one. That made for some great material.

Quote:
I find it really odd that they JUST launched a bunch of merch with Jon's face on it. I think there was some deeper weirdness or falling out than they are letting on.
The timing does seem weird, and the shift in hosts was pretty sudden. If there was any kind of notice or transition period, it must have been pretty abrupt, because I never saw it coming.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:12 PM
RAD RAT

Default Game Grumps

Quote:

The timing does seem weird, and the shift in hosts was pretty sudden. If there was any kind of notice or transition period, it must have been pretty abrupt, because I never saw it coming.
There was not, the announcement of jon leaving and the next episode with the new intro as well as Steam Train were just a couple of hours apart.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:15 PM
I. Love. It.

I haven't liked all Gam Groops that I've seen, but I've liked quite a bit.

But honestly I think I like the fan animations using their audio a lot more.

It's kind of hard to beat this.

Old 06-29-2013, 07:42 PM
I say thee neigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
SHUT UP

I LOVE THESE GUYS

Danny not so much
Jontron was a vortex of nega-charisma that radiated intellectual anti-matter. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

The new guys kind of dull but at least he doesn't bray like a donkey with a brain injury every 30 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dart Zaidyer View Post
YOU SHUT UP
NEVER
Old 06-29-2013, 08:08 PM
Serial Thread Killer

I like Danny. He has a sense of humor.

I've never really been an avid Game Grumps fan. The moment they revealed their channel I basically went "WELL THERE GOES THE LP COMMUNITY, NOW EVERYONE'S JUST GOING TO WATCH THESE GUYS." Because I'm not really into the two as personalities. I'm just interested in them as guys. Playing a game. Just the same reason as I'd watch any other LP. I don't really give a shit about them being funny or unfunny. The game can do that for them.

So Jon leaving didn't really have that big of an impact on me (aside from how sudden it was) and I just gave a shrug and said okay. I guess Jon is obnoxious to people but he never really bothered me. Arin and Jon definitely had a good chemistry going but it was basically from Arin being the straight man to Jon. With Danny, they're more just two guys that seem to know each other really well playing a game because.

Steam Train does not look bad. I've yet to watch an episode though because the current games don't look like they'd be that interesting to watch.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:09 PM
Galaxy's Goofiest Spectre

Game Grumps was always kind of a weird paradox for me, because while I found Jon and Arin to be funny (in general), the more I heard them espouse opinions, the less I liked them because it became obvious that I pretty much disagreed with them 90% of the time on most topics, especially Jon.

Two Best Friends have always been my go-to guys for "funny YouTube video game stuff" as they are consistently quite funny, do a variety of different things, and I disagree with them far less.
Old 06-29-2013, 08:12 PM
#2 Aero the Acro-Bat Fan

For some reason I enjoy Continue?, even though I generally disagree with them most of the time and they really tend to be extremely lowbrow most of the time. Maybe the editing is just fairly good and my nostalgia for Broken Pixels is a big reason for it. It's like LPs for people who don't have the time to watch extensive LPs most of the time!
Old 06-29-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridanmovieguy View Post
Game Grumps was always kind of a weird paradox for me, because while I found Jon and Arin to be funny (in general), the more I heard them espouse opinions, the less I liked them because it became obvious that I pretty much disagreed with them 90% of the time on most topics, especially Jon.
I was usually okay disagreeing with them, when I had to, except for Castlevania. Holy crap that series made me angry. Here you had Arin and Jon basically falling over one another about how great and terrific that game is, and why everyone who hates it is wrong, at the same time as the video footage was displaying all the reasons I hate that fucking game aarrrggh!!

There were a lot of times Jon would express an opinion, though, and Arin would basically shut him down. It didn't matter much to me which grump was right, but I constantly felt like Jon should have stood his ground more often. They're both smart guys with a decent handle on Game Design Opinions; I wish the show had been more of that. Maybe now it will be?
Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 PM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Quote:
There were a lot of times Jon would express an opinion, though, and Arin would basically shut him down. It didn't matter much to me which grump was right, but I constantly felt like Jon should have stood his ground more often. They're both smart guys with a decent handle on Game Design Opinions; I wish the show had been more of that. Maybe now it will be?
Yeah, Jon wasn't very good at articulating his opinion, though a lot of the time I knew what he was getting at when it didn't seem Arin did, and I still disagreed with him. Dude has some weird opinions*.

I usually agree with Arin though, except about Zelda. And RPGs, which he seems to have a huge intolerance for.

*I chalk up some of these weird opinions to just being younger and having more appreciation for things he grew up with as a kid, like the Nintendo 64 or Donkey Kong Country games.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:00 PM
concern troll

I "like" when they would talk about shit from the 80s and have no fucking idea what they were talking about (especially Jon) and it would make me feel super old. One time The A Team came up and Jon was like "what was that." And then Arin acted like Mr. T was the name of the character on the show. Holy hell.

But then Dan/Danny was talking about playing Mike Tyson's Punchout as a kid and having an NES and I was like "whoa, is this guy actually like my age?"
Old 06-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

I don't browse YouTube trying to find new content, so this was already popular when I found out about it.

I really didn't see the appeal, I suppose, as it felt like two guys just hanging out while a video game just happened to be on the screen. How much you like guys just recording themselves being friends and hanging out really depends on the guys in question, and I didn't know who these guys were except that both were apparently kind of known on their own channel and decided to collaborate for some reason?

I felt like I could just throw a muted Let's Play over No More Whoppers and get a Game Grumps episode I actually liked.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:09 PM
Conquers the World

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridanmovieguy View Post
I usually agreed with Arin (except when he said using the holy water to freeze bosses in Castlevania was cheating, fuck that noise) but I always wished they could articulate their opinions better without relying on nonsense words like "gamefeel".

I also got super pissed when they played that SNES Godzilla fighting game and Arin said Mothra was terrible. Not like, in the game, just in general. I like Arin but fuck that guy
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 AM
McBear

Default Game Grumps

So, not quite grumps related any more, but JonTron liked a Ron Paul video yesterday, and that's got me weirded out.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:08 AM
concern troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TirMcDohl View Post
So, not quite grumps related any more, but JonTron liked a Ron Paul video yesterday, and that's got me weirded out.
I feel like he said something on GG before that was kinda Ron Paul-ish.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:13 AM
Baby, I WANT Klonoa.

Default Re: Game Grumps

I forget which one, but Jon (and Arin, though some what half heartedly) practically confesses his love for the man in one episode.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:01 PM

It is so infurating to me that Arin is calling bullshit on sections of Castlevania 4 which are LESS bullshit than the stupid uber-hard bullshit he jerks off too in Castlevania 1.

HEY IM GRUMP
Old 08-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Conquers the World

Arin also believes that using the holy water to freeze Death and Dracula's 2nd form in the original Castlevania is cheating, and those ain't the thoughts of a man I want in my america. I use the holy water for every boss, even the giant bat.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Conquers the World

Haha I'm watching that episode now. I wish I could have been there to tell them after watching them die on their fiftieth attempt to get through that spike corridor that you can just duck and crawl through it and none of the spikes will touch you. And the vanishing platform part is hard but at least there's a pattern to it. It's not like, oh, the bridge to Dracula's Keep in CV1 with the giant bats that might randomly decide to knock you into a pit without warning!

EDIT: Oh my god why do they keep whipping that candle that they know has a knife in it right after they pick up the cross! They do it every time!

Tags
d club , danny sexbang , grapes , hey i'm dan i'm also dan , jafari park , off topic eceleb drama , racism , shame grumps