The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about other things > The Pit of Civility

Old 09-25-2008, 12:27 AM
forbidden noise

Default I FEEL ASLEEP: Talking about sleeping and dreaming

Well that one thread has started to derail, though it's not like it wasn't kind of already. I think the topic of sleeping is really interesting though! I also like reading about dreams, because I basically never remember mine.

Right now I live on a horrible sleep schedule, where I sleep whenever I want and wake up as my obligations demand. This breaks down to:
Getting up at 6 on M/W/F so I can catch a bus to school. I usually nap on the way there, though I usually feel guilty when I wake up and see I'm one of the few people who gets their own twofer.
Breakfast time on Saturday and Sunday. Usually around 9 or 10 my dad is cooking something.
Sometime before 11 on Tuesday and Thursday. I don't have to do anything on those days, but my mom really hates it if I just don't get up.

As for dreams, basically the only one I've ever remembered much was a nightmare where we drove hundreds and hundreds of miles, only to stop in a strange town. It was named "Wheat Ridge" which is the name of the city about five minutes south of where I live, but it freaked the hell out of me as a six-year-old because it was completely strange and unfamiliar.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Renegade Game Councelor

I'm a horrible sleeper.

I am a total night owl: I love staying awake and always have at least a little trouble falling asleep, no matter how tired I am. Naturally, I also like to sleep as much as possible when I'm able to... which is rarely. During my military days, I simply could not fall asleep before midnight (usually not until 1 am) and I had to wake up at six, so I slept a ton during the weekends.

Now that I'm in school, I get about 6 hours of sleep on M/W/F when I have an 8:45 am class, and usually about 7-8 hours on other days. I feel a hell of a lot better as a result, but I've noticed that if something comes up and I get less sleep than this, I get really cranky. I guess my body has adjusted to getting more sleep on a regular basis, or maybe I was just in a really bad mood for six years (that actually may be the case...).

I don't like taking naps... I always end up sleeping through my alarm and I tend to wake up around the time I'm supposed to go to sleep, which means that I'll be wide awake for several hours and end up falling asleep about an hour or two before I have to actually wake up.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:57 AM
I am being eaten?

Hey, cool thread. I recently found out I have a mild case of narcolepsy. Probably have had it for six years or so by now.

With that in mind, I've had all sorts of sleep schedules, both good and horrible, but it never meant a lot because I would always be sleepy. Its weird knowing you can fall asleep fairly normally and still feel like shit during the day.

In any case, my current routine is head to bed around 10:30 and wake up around 8:00, and I have some medicine to help me feel better during the day. I used to get up at 6:00, but that wasn't exactly making it easier during the day. I hope to get back to earlier rise times so I'm not at work so damn late.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:01 AM
Banned

I used to be a big night owl, but I moved to day shift last year, which forces me to get up at 6am because I have a 45-50 minute commute one way. I don't get to sleep in on my days off because we have a toddler who gets up by 6:30am at the latest. Urgh.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Hawkguy

I had a dream that Garnett Lee and I were hunting and killing demons. It was sorta bizarre.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 AM

My recent sleep schedule hit the crapper when I had to cram big time... only I found out that it was all unnecessary. Now I can sleep normally again. I hate that.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Fun Club Agent

I recently had a dream I was being hunted by zombies in an underwater city and I wandered into the pilot's hold and had to solve a puzzle in the computer to seal the hatch.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Justice is my Middle Name

I haven't had a good night's sleep in months. Needless to say, I'm a bit grumpy.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

I probably get about six hours of sleep a night, eight or nine on weekends. I usually lay down for a catnap after work.

Every single dream I have is about Grant sitting on top of one of those dunk tanks, and I'm taunting him while holding a baseball menacingly. I never actually dunk him, though. One time he had cat ears.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:56 AM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post
With that in mind, I've had all sorts of sleep schedules, both good and horrible, but it never meant a lot because I would always be sleepy. Its weird knowing you can fall asleep fairly normally and still feel like shit during the day.
...Brother! I've finally found you!
Old 09-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
One time he had cat ears.
When it comes to making the wife happy, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:09 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by taidan View Post
Do you snore? I had the same problem until I had a sleep study done and they told me that I quit breathing several times a night which caused me to wake up just enough to get out of REM sleep.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:25 AM
twinkling photon

never write AP History notes at 2 in the morning

nothing jacks your grade up more than noting Czar Peter I's role in "russian silence dogg"
Old 09-25-2008, 08:26 AM
100% All Original

At this point I consider 6 hours to be "enough" sleep. This is probably wrong, but whatever. My schedule this semester is actually pretty lenient - I have to get up by 9:00 MWF, by 6:00 TR, and I'm completely free on the weekends. I HAVE NO ONE TO BLAME BUT MYSELF.

Also I'm always jealous of exciting dream stories, because I can never remember my dreams.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinforcements View Post
Also I'm always jealous of exciting dream stories, because I can never remember my dreams.
Exciting dream stories are 80% flimflam, 20% desperate need to impress others. Except mine; mine are pure truth and entertainment.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:39 AM

Yeah, any time someone announces "I had the weirdest dream last night..." my brain turns off.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:51 AM
HellCorgieが倒せない!

People usually pay attention when I talk about my dreams because 1) I don't do it often 2) I don't go on forever 3) They're usually about quick, murderous events.

I woke up on the first day of Otakon and said, "I had some dream about this guy who made me kill a box of puppies."

My room mate said, "Oh yeah, you have some fucked-up dreams, don't you?"

"Yeah, but that one's pretty standard."

Maybe I do it to myself though because sometimes I'll be having a normal dream and I'll say, "Wow, this is boring," and shift over to something else.
Old 09-25-2008, 08:54 AM
I am being eaten?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_from_LOTR_Balrog View Post
Do you snore? I had the same problem until I had a sleep study done and they told me that I quit breathing several times a night which caused me to wake up just enough to get out of REM sleep.
Naw, my sleep study indicated no breathing problems, but that I was falling into deep sleep too quickly.

Nadia, if we combine our energy we'll have enough for one wakeful person.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:04 AM
forbidden noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadia View Post
"Yeah, but that one's pretty standard."
That's a pretty awesome response there.

For some reason while reading this I remembered another dream I've had, about a year ago. I was watching a high school basketball game with the main characters from the Harry Potter books (or more, the movies I guess, since they have a more tangible representation of what they look like). We were sitting in a little box about twenty feet above the court, instead of on the bleachers like normal people. At the end I suddenly appeared on the court and the song "Just" from Lumines started playing. Then I realized something was weird and woke up.

I tend to get jarred out of dreams really easily, at least as far as I can tell.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:06 AM
More than two problems

Last night: A dream featuring Captain Picard versus the Borg Queen for three different showdowns, each more dramatic than the last. It was actually pretty cool.
Oddly though, it seems unrelated to anything I was doing that evening before I went to sleep.

After that though, it was Simpsons versus Terminator, which I can blame on HK-47.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Toxic Boots

Last night I had a dream I was watching Animaniacs...with the Animaniacs. Note I haven't watched an episode of the Animaniacs in over a decade or more.

Later on in the dream I was riding in a car with my grandfather and he got into a small fender bender with the person in front of him. Nothing came of it!
Old 09-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Is there not one thing

In 2003, apropos of nothing, I had a dream about Goof Troop. I had not had a conscious thought regarding Goof Troop for long years before that point.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Orb Friend

Oh, sleeping is fun with me. I'm a bit of an insomniac who can never fall asleep in less than an hour (usually several), and I'm always a little tired and in need of a nap.

I also have very impressive dreams. I think I've had one, maybe two nightmares in my entire life, and I can remember almost all of my dreams in clear detail. Which is good, because the vast majority of my dreams tend to be long, detailed and pretty damn epic (and incredibly entertaining). I'm only in a tiny fraction of them, too. In most of them I'm just a silent, invisible viewer watching stories unfold. Even weirder, I've had two or three dreams where something'll be happening and then the dream will cut away to me and family/friends watching the dream-story on TV like a movie, commenting on it. Then cut back to the main dream-story. Oh the stories I could tell.

Most obscure reference in a dream my brain's ever come up with: those Rhino soldiers from the old Babar The Elephant animated special.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:58 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheana View Post
Oh, sleeping is fun with me. I'm a bit of an insomniac who can never fall asleep in less than an hour (usually several), and I'm always a little tired and in need of a nap.

I also have very impressive dreams. I think I've had one, maybe two nightmares in my entire life, and I can remember almost all of my dreams in clear detail. Which is good, because the vast majority of my dreams tend to be long, detailed and pretty damn epic (and incredibly entertaining). I'm only in a tiny fraction of them, too. In most of them I'm just a silent, invisible viewer watching stories unfold.
Sheana is pretty much in my head.

My dreams tend to be very involved; I'm rarely a character in them, and even more rarely do they ever happen in a real place. The settings I've dreamt... those are my favorite.

I've had a few cool ones, though.

One time I was Mega Man, and I was fighting Las Vegas. We were inside an extremely gigantic wooden zeppelin, I was flying on Rush (jet), and Las Vegas was portrayed as a giant wooden robot. I remember seeing through the floorboards a vast compartment filled with money that would make scrooge mcduck faint from its sheer volume.

Another time my friend was building a tower some hundred stories high on a boat in the bay to steal the city's energy. I tried to fight him but he threw me out of the tower (I presume I died as I wasn't in the dream anymore). Then he and his girlfriend turned into merpeople and swam away.

And so on. I've been dreaming again recently after kind of a long period without any... I need to get another notebook and start writing those down again.

tl;dr I love dreams.

Last edited by Paul le Fou; 09-25-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:08 PM
Hey guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Sheana is pretty much in my head.[/B]
And mine! Freaky!

I do play a role in my dreams about half the time, though. Last summer I spent most of my spare time working to achieve a lucid dream. It actually worked! I was sitting in a place that looked oddly like (and yet unlike) my old elementary school's courtyard with its old iron gate closed, and the sky was an off shade of blue. I did a reality check, stared at my hands for a bit and realized I was dreaming. Then I flew.

I haven't been able to achieve lucidity since

EDIT: This talk of dreams has me remembering all sorts of crazy imaginary escapades! There was one where the atmosphere turned a deep, dusky orange and giant silhouetted winged whales of all shapes and sizes flew out of cracks in the twilight and curled and twisted with their great inky black wings in the sky, singing whale songs as the world fell to pieces. It was brilliant.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Orb Friend

A few quick dream summaries:

- A bunch of punk kids break into David Bowie's private museum at the top of some giant sprawling building that's part mall, part hotel, part other things (it shows up in my dreams a lot) and steal his TARDIS, which turns into an old-school scifi flying car when they get back outside and use it to buzz corn fields and rural roads and freak out the farmers.

- A bunch of Green Lanterns and other superheroes fight Godzilla-sized creatures/projections that resemble the animated versions of The Ghostbusters. One of my dreams that features somebody with powers having great trouble with their flying ability and constantly falling/having to do giant jumps.

- Blue Beetle, Booster Gold and Guy Gardner are undercover police detectives without powers who work with a bunch of other people to capture and contain bad guys in a city full of monster people and other weirdos.

- Terry Jones and Graham Chapman chase Eric Idle across London and try to play pranks on him, when all he wants to do is go watch a football game. Eventually he makes it to the football game, which is being played by WoW Draenei and Broken inside a large gothic stadium made of dark metal and stone.

- The crew of Master & Commander fights the zombie pirate crew from the first PotC movie on what seems to be an oil rig/army base that has a large hidden portion under water. While the battle rages overhead me (one of my rare appearances) and the bespectacled doctor from M&C escape down a large slide into the lower base, the doctor asking me if I was going to finish the rest of my blueberry crumble.

I could go on like this.
Old 09-25-2008, 06:59 PM
Symphony of the Nightbug

Early excerpts from my dream journal:
Quote:
[friend] leading a drawing class (even though i have never seen evidence that he can draw), requesting our help, and finding us useless; the cast of friends in a mortal feud atop a raging waterfall; my teachers from high school searching for them after they all fell down the waterfall; ren and stimpy and sonic the hedgehog eating extremely gross arthropods, but sonic not wanting to be seen to eat them; a guy who drives his entire house to work; guy's driving house being remodeled attractively

at air base, watched planes take off and land. saw several varieties of airplanes, some very bizarre. one fighter had a large, vertical disk on its back end, and hovered above the runway hissing for several seconds before speeding away with a high-pitched howl. the largest plane was an aircraft carrier: its wings were flush with its top, and there were smaller planes parked on top of it. we rode the aircraft carrier, through forests during a thunderstorm which didn't completely darken the sky, like a light drizzle. went to a remote region of japan, with very few buildings and lots of forests. one species of tree native to this area was the "lantern-fruit tree" whose fruits actually emitted light. there was a particularly ancient lantern-fruit tree, ten times the height of the second tallest one, named "明御木"(あきみぎ). the tourist viewing deck was two blocks away, and had a description of its biology and historical significance on a placard, but it was all in japanese, so I couldn't read much of it.
"Us" is always a sort of nebulous "me and also some other people".
Old 09-25-2008, 07:36 PM
For blood and gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
tl;dr I love dreams.
This. My dreams are awesome. Everyone loves hearing about them. Yes, even you.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:50 PM
worse than last time

I had a stretch where I was on a decent enough sleep schedule, and had good enough techniques going by habit, that I would have lucid dreams on a regular basis. Those are freaking awesome: no need to wait for Star Trek holodecks to have your own personal immersive world wherein you can make anything happen!

These days I scarcely even remember my dreams, though. -.-;

On occasion, I find the ones I do remember to be excellent boosts to creativity. Some of my most persistent and inspiring (to me, anyway!) fiction ideas came from dreams. I would not be the SabreCat if I had not once had a dream about the Earth being conquered by cat-aliens with Dune-style worms as pets, I kid you not.

Also, y'all should read Slow Wave.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:34 PM
forbidden noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Hedgehog View Post
This. My dreams are awesome. Everyone loves hearing about them. Yes, even you.
Prove it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreCat View Post
Also, y'all should read Slow Wave.
Shit, I love that, but I usually read a few and forget about it for a long time. That sort of surreal nonsense is right up my alley, for sure.

Tags
dreams , physiology , psychology , sleep