The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
The week or two I spent in Colombia started out almost as a hare brained dare and turned into one of my and my friends' most fond memories of our time in South America.
I was thinking of going to South America before too long and your talk about Colombia is relevant to my interests.

Got any specific recommendations?
Old 07-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ample Vigour View Post
I was thinking of going to South America before too long and your talk about Colombia is relevant to my interests.

Got any specific recommendations?
We went up from Ecuador and spent our time in Ipiales, Túquerres, and Pasto. Ipiales is a border town which has a bunch of street markets(which are always fun down there), and the spectacular Santuario de Las Lajas- a giant cathedral set in a river gorge. Behold:

We went to Túquerres to hike up the extinct volcano Azufral, which has a sulfurous lake in its crater.

And in Pasto we just kind of bummed around, ate out, went to discotecas, that kind of thing. We were going to go further north to the old colonial city of Popayán and the nearby pre-Columbian ruins, but it was too dangerous at the time- guerillas and paramilitaries all over the place. It might be cool now, though.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Soybean Powder Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant View Post
Wow.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Not a Beer

Holy crap, that gorge cathedral is amazing. I'm sure if you asked a modern construction firm to do something like that, they'd be like, no way, you'd have to practically level the gorge to get the machinery in there. Of course, I'm sure the real answer to the "how to build it" question was ludicrous amounts of low-paid manual labor, but man it's pretty.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Banned

Las Lajas wowed us even back then, and we'd been living in Quito, which has some of the most spectacular churches in the western hemisphere, for months. Just incredible.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Banned

That is really amazing.
Old 07-15-2008, 03:59 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirin View Post
Of course, I'm sure the real answer to the "how to build it" question was ludicrous amounts of low-paid manual labor, but man it's pretty.
Surveying the land to find just the right spot so the full moon rises over the bridge was the tough part. And then they had to do a large-scale hiring of draculas, wolfmen and fishbeasts to staff the place. HR for this kind of thing is literally a nightmare.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teg View Post
Attn: Talking Time Forums
Having recently seen "Scooby-Doo Meets Batman" and "Batman Vs. Dracula", I am now looking for a Scooby-Doo/Dracula crossover to complete the trifecta of laughably bad concepts. Please help.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189072/
Old 07-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
Surveying the land to find just the right spot so the full moon rises over the bridge was the tough part. And then they had to do a large-scale hiring of draculas, wolfmen and fishbeasts to staff the place. HR for this kind of thing is literally a nightmare.
There are guys walking around Colombia in leather and with whips, and some of them even eat meat that sticks out of walls, but I get the feeling that we aren't on the same page somehow.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm out

I tried to watch Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked this evening. I got ninety seconds in, listened to the awesome score by Koichi Sugiyama swell as a major character's severed head was reflected in the main character's spacesuit visor, sailing across the screen, and decided "Hey! How about something much much lighter?" Animation's pretty, though- only animated afro I've ever seen that moved like a real afro.

For a while I entertained the idea that Yoshiyuki Tomino's robot series were pretty solid attempts to deconstruct the Super Robot genre. After further reflection, I've just decided that he worked on said genre long enough that he decided that he hated it and wanted it to die.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:22 PM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAC View Post
attempts to deconstruct the Super Robot genre.
Gurren-Lagann is all you need.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Is there not one thing

Quote:
\Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked\
happy birthday to you!
happy birthday to you!

What a completely fucked show.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:44 PM
Find Your Reason

Quote:
I tried to watch Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked this evening.
I'm so, so sorry.

Quote:
I got ninety seconds in, listened to the awesome score by Koichi Sugiyama swell as Tomino being true to his "Kill 'em all!" nickname, and decided "Hey! How about something much much lighter?"
What, like Saikano? Or maybe Now and Then, Here and There?

Yeah, I... saw both movies. I stopped functioning for one whole day! Be Invoked outdid End of Eva before Eva even existed. (alliteration yay)

Quote:
For a while I entertained the idea that Yoshiyuki Tomino's robot series were pretty solid attempts to deconstruct the Super Robot genre.
Nah, he attempts to deconstruct people. A severed head here, a child getting blown to bits there, a sympathetic character being severed in half by a Gundam's saber...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I'm out

Default ...GL as deconstruction? But, nobody's taking a sledgehammer to my childhood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul le Fou View Post
Gurren-Lagann is all you need.
See, I never particularly thought of Gurren-Lagann as being a deconstruction. I guess because it's (mostly) upbeat, and it doesn't have the air of "Aren't these ideas silly?" that I've come to expect from that approach to a story.

(While we're sort of on the subject, does anyone else tend to think of Gurren-Lagann as the show Nadesico wanted to be? Or if not wanted to be, should have been?)

Quote:
Be Invoked outdid End of Eva before Eva even existed. (alliteration yay)
I have a feeling that this is one of the reasons that Evangelion in general pissed off Tomino so badly. Largely, EoE really is just a more introspective, less comprehensible version of Be Invoked, right down to the use of live-action footage. (Oddly, Be Invoked is both kinder and more cruel, too: at least in the end as Cosmo observes, "it wasn't all for nothing," while EoE never says anything conclusive about the continued existence of anyone but Shinji and Asuka. At the same time, while the entire NERV staff and presumably the whole human race pretty much dies/melts/whatever, compared to practically everyone in Ideon dying horribly they get off pretty damn light.

(I'm spoiler-texting Ideon and not EoE mainly for reasons of saturation. EoE's been out on English-language DVD for years and its specifics are pretty infamous, and Ideon is something that never officially escaped Japan and you kind of have to hunt for. Judgment call- I'll change it if it offends.)
Old 07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
A No.1

Tonight I'm going to see a double-feature of Manhatten and Annie Hall in a theatre. I've never really seen a Woody Allen film before, so this should be a treat!

(I saw the first 20 minutes of Annie Hall a couple months ago, but something came up and I wasn't able to finish it. I'm told it gets depressing, but I refuse to believe it!)
Old 07-17-2008, 11:03 AM
Hungry in Dungeon

Both of those are great movies. Annie Hall some great lol moments.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:15 AM

Annie Hall was obnoxious. I'd rather see Deconstructing Harry instead, even though I don't care at all for Woody Allen. Have fun!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
Lv. 7 lawful woods faffer

I got that fancy new version of The Killing Joke for my birthday, and last night I read it four times in a row. I didn't think it was possible to love Batman more than I already did, but here I am.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:45 AM

Watched Tigerland

Colin Farrell: I'm the next Marlon Brando!
Drill Instructor: Drop down, give me twenty push-ups, you sissy! You panty-wearing tampon!
Colin Farell: No way, I'm the next James Dean! Look at me fluctuate between an Oirish accent, and a Suthern one.
G.I Friend: I hate you! Let's rebel against the military and get laid.
G.I Moron: All I want to do is be a man! Don't electrocute my balls.
G.I Token Black Guy: Man, why do I was always have to be discriminated against?
G.I Redneck Racist: I'm the big cock here. No one mess me with me or I'll go crazy.
Drill Instructor: All of you girls shut up. This is the military. You are all dolled up nit twits. Either follow my orders no-nuts, or I will bark more non-sensical insults revolving around your womanhood.
Colin Farrell: Forget the military. I'm the next Paul Newman!

And so on. Sorry if this satire isn't adequate, I don't think this movie deserves a more polished one.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Banned

Name that TV show:

Does anyone remember an anti-drug TV show from the late 80s/early 90s that revolved around a special drug squad who got to keep the money and cars they seized? I *thought* that it was called Bad Boys, but I can't find anything by that name.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Goodbye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Sorry if this satire isn't adequate, I don't think this movie deserves a more polished one.
You forgot: let's languish in GI locker rooms and show off our abs.

Schumacher is the King Midas of homoeroticism.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:58 PM
Mystery Contraption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickroad View Post
I got that fancy new version of The Killing Joke for my birthday, and last night I read it four times in a row. I didn't think it was possible to love Batman more than I already did, but here I am.
I read The Killing Joke, and while I liked it, I didn't think it was all that great. But then, that seems to be the norm with Alan Moore for me.

On another Bat-note: I've got The Long Halloween the other day, but I shall wait until I finish reading The Spirit before I start it.

I also read Marvels a few days ago. It managed to feel right at home with Kingdom Come for reasons other then the art. Plot-wise, I think I prefer KC, but it's very, very close.
Old 07-19-2008, 01:44 PM
borgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
I also read Marvels a few days ago. It managed to feel right at home with Kingdom Come for reasons other then the art. Plot-wise, I think I prefer KC, but it's very, very close.
Yeah, Marvels is a pretty fucking awesome book.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Mystery Contraption

I just found copies of Atomic Robo and the Fightin' Scientists at Tesladyne, JLA: One Million and a reprint of Marvels G.I.Joe series at my local comick booke shoppe.

Oh wow guys, Atomic Robo is so good. I'm so serious, I'm not even joking.

It's everything I wanted Hellboy to be, but wasn't.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Justice is my Middle Name

I just watched my first episode of The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, and it was awesome.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:08 PM
Gettin' dizzy

Nothings gonna stand our way, not tonight.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:30 PM
I'm out

Default Transformers The Movie and Megas share a mechanical designer, in fact.

I just rewatched the first five episodes of Megas XLR, and I'd forgotten how unrelentingly awesome it is. Cartoon Network really needs to release this on DVD.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:20 AM
Not a Beer

Atomic Robo is in fact pretty great. Though I"m wondering what's up with the one dangling plot thread from the middle of the volume, but I guess maybe he'll get back to it eventually.

Also, I just started watching Avatar 'cuz my wife wanted to see it. For something off of American TV, it's pretty darn good.
Old 07-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Mystery Contraption

Do you mean the part with the giant monster buried under the mechanical pyramid? Because I don't care if that even gets resolved. The fact that it was simply there made me feel okay with the world.

Suddenly!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:43 AM
We just don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus Prime View Post
Suddenly, I want Flight 5.

Edit: oh my god it comes out tomorrow

Did Flight Explorers ever come out? I need to grab that too.

Amazon says Yes. Curses!

Tags
fear of new threads , media , not worth its own thread , original mini-review , random , we just don't know , what is media?