The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 09-13-2017, 12:01 AM
i musnt run away

Also I think after Season 2 strongly played up the "Rick=God" aspect of the show, this season is more thematically focused on bringing him back down to human, while at the same time showing the other family members (sans Jerry of course) beginning to follow in his footsteps.
Old 09-13-2017, 11:41 PM

This episode made me wish Doctor Who (one of the show's top influences) had the Master run for Lord President of Gallifrey.

I hope Slick is still alive. He was one of the good ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkpen View Post
Also I think after Season 2 strongly played up the "Rick=God" aspect of the show, this season is more thematically focused on bringing him back down to human, while at the same time showing the other family members (sans Jerry of course) beginning to follow in his footsteps.
Considering that Jerry conspired to murder Rick, we can include him with the rest of the family in following in Rick's footsteps.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:24 PM

The Master already did become president of a whole planet full of himselves, which is about as spot on a thing as you could ask for in this comparison, isn't it?
Old 09-15-2017, 11:31 PM

Those are bits from two different storylines, and anyway it is analogous to Evil Morty being in charge of the Citadel instead of a measly Earth.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:04 PM
Gesundheit!

I love this show when it's hyper-creative, much less so when the characters just run around slaughtering everything in sight. I just watched this season's premiere, and it was very much in the latter vein. It doesn't offend my sensibilities or anything — it's just boring and tedious. Does the rest of the season get back to the clever bits?
Old 09-16-2017, 02:19 PM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

They do both, sadly. I think it's some sort of Adult Swim mandate that everything ultimately devolve into a witless gorefest.

This has been an excellent season though - none of the malaise of the second half of season 2 where they just went ham on the gore. Maybe skip Pickle Rick because a huge chunk of it is just murder. The rest should be okay?
Old 09-16-2017, 03:38 PM
does the Underpants Dance

I've been seeing some interpretations of last week's episode as some kind of libertarian political statement and I'm really not seeing that at all. Like, someone was saying the twist of Evil Morty was a denouncement of Liberals and thus the whole episode was an exercise in "both sides do it-ism" and I think you'd have to really stretch to come up with that.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:53 PM
BAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhair60 View Post
Maybe skip Pickle Rick because a huge chunk of it is just murder. The rest should be okay?
Maybe watch the last 5 minutes of Pickle Rick, it has Rick at the psychiatrist's office. And Concerto, but that falls under murder.
But he's Concerto!

Last edited by Ghost from Spelunker; 09-16-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:11 PM

This week's episode was much better than the typical interdimensional TV episode, by merit of actually having a plot and character development. Of course, keeping in line with the season's theme, I walk away from this episode feeling more strongly than ever that Rick & Morty are irredeemably awful people. I gotta wonder we're building up to a season finale where they kill themselves or something for the greater good, because their net-impact on all of reality very bad. I did however laugh super hard at the squirrels moment.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:59 PM
We just don't know.

The resolution moment at the end was pretty great.

Tags
ball fondlers , doc and marty , grass tastes bad , nevernude , turbulent juice , two brothers