The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Old 07-09-2016, 10:39 PM
Man of Tomorrow Afternoon

Daddy-Daughter Card Wars

This was a sweet episode. Also, I feel like burying your 20's is pretty meme-able, in that I imagine it speaks to lots of folks.

I'd like to see more Grand Prix, please. Also (unrelated), Science Cat. You brought him back recently, show, you MUST have plans for an episode.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:01 PM
I. Love. It.

Adventure Time is coming to an end....

...in 2018, Season 9.

I'm fine with this. It had a good run, and that's enough time to bring it to a close. Hopefully it won't get too bonkers.

...or, hopefully it WILL get too bonkers.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:06 PM
Bertolli?!?...

Yeah, they've had a good run. And with the end fixed and in sight, hopefully they'll be able to plan ahead and give it a good send-off and tie up any plot threads that they're inclined to.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:45 PM

Yeah, I won't mind too much either. The show never lost it's quality, but there's no denying it kind of lost it's heat. I'm curious if that movie announced forever ago is still in the works and if it will be pre or post finale. I wouldn't be surprised if they did a special every so often. Hopefully, shows of similarly strong pedigree will be popping up on cartoon network,
Old 09-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Bertolli?!?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Unusual View Post
it kind of lost it's heat.
Old 10-03-2016, 12:06 AM
forbidden noise

adventure time has been several different shows over its run, and since i only started watching it last summer, it honestly feels too soon to me, even though i know that it's had a great run and the length it's going to end up at is a great compromise between "i don't want this to end" and "i don't want this to go on super long and become awful"

i know that some people already feel that way, and that's fine; seasons 4-6 definitely became increasingly dark and philosophical and less...jokey, and 7 didn't seem to win back many people who didn't enjoy the later parts of that stretch. but for me the show has reached a great balance of character/plot development that i'm interested in while still being incredibly surreal and having a lot of meandering episodes which "don't matter." i remember hearing that the original pitch was basically the most generic thing possible on purpose, and i honestly don't know if we'll ever see another cartoon where so many people have so much freedom to bend everything in their own directions, or with several full-on guest-produced episodes (i've loved all of them except "water park prank" and even that one has one of my favorite jokes of the series).

basically this show is really special to me and i'm going to miss constantly looking forward to new episodes. (or maybe i won't, because i've been dying for the season 7 finale since they released like 5 minutes of it at sdcc, why's it taking so long)
Old 11-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Family Man

Ok, sure.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:43 AM
I. Love. It.

Soooooo that's how Season 7 ends, I guess. The blatant cliffhanger is bad enough but we're not even sure when Season 8 starts, it may or may not be continuing next week. But the long wait between the previous episode and this season-ender, only to possibly have to wait even more for a continuation is just kind irksome.

But now we know there's only two more seasons to go, so I'm guessing that the whole island of humans, some of which may or may not be enhanced plot thread will be significant in Season 8, and we'll probably see the Lich or whatever come back for the last season.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 11-20-2016 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Yabba dabba dabba dabba?
Old 12-10-2016, 01:11 PM
who's she

I've been rewatching Adventure Time from the beginning after getting the DVDs. The first season is pretty uneven and doesn't quite feel right until the second half. There's an overall feeling of "Adult Swim animates funny anecdotes from its D&D campaigns," which is not a bad thing except that the show gets a lot better when it stops feeling like previous CN shows. On the other hand, at times it seems like the creators are pushing too fast into experimenting with characters that haven't really been established yet - Lady Rainicorn's first spotlight episode changes her voice, for example. The episode that strikes me as most promising is The Jiggler, which takes a relatable situation and turns it into an adorable and profoundly disturbing eleven-minute saga.

Standout episodes: The Jiggler, Wizard, What is Life?, Ocean of Fear, Henchman, Rainy Day Daydream

Best guest voice: Clancy Brown as a demon cat that has approximate knowledge of many things.

Best joke: Jake's reflect spell in Wizard.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:22 PM
forbidden noise

yeah, on some level "my two favorite people" would make more sense after they've established that finn is the only relevant character who seems to be unable to understand her, though i have to think that feeling these kinds of things out was largely a result of the first season. (my brother told me that "business time" was also more or less the seed of the post-apocalyptic turn the setting started to take on more as time went on, though i haven't seen a source on that one. it's easy to believe though)

i was very confused by the show for a long time and business time was the first episode i remember really enjoying (mostly because it's so cynical). in retrospect it's kind of middling for season 1; "rainy day daydream," "henchman," and "wizard" are probably my favorites as well, but i also love "city of thieves" and "memories of boom boom mountain"
Old 12-10-2016, 02:29 PM
oh my car

Business Time was the first episode to be storyboarded, even before the pilot. I once saw a video of Pen Ward and Adam Muto demonstrating it at CalArts. I'll try to find it.

Edit:
Check out the description for more detail.
Old 12-14-2016, 02:59 AM
I. Love. It.

Coming in January:

Looks like another mini-series akin to Stakes. Should be neat!

Hopefully?
Old 12-29-2016, 01:23 AM
who's she

Finished rewatching season 2 of Adventure Time. This is the good stuff. I was remembering this as the best season, and certainly got plenty to back that up.

Finn and Jake get fleshed out quite a bit. Finn learns that he's not cut out for leading a country, especially when he's not allowed to brush his own teeth. There's also some hints about why he's the only human around. Jake proves somewhat useless without Finn to guide him, being too distractible or listless on his own. The limits of his shapeshifting are also shown.

Ice King seems less of a presence in season two, maybe because he was in danger of being too annoying. His appearances are really good, though, with his turn as "Nice King" adding a lot to his character. LSP similarly stays in the background, and a recurring subplot where she's a hobo doesn't go anywhere.

Princess Bubblegum gets to do a bit more but is still kind of a plot device and semi-crush for Finn. It's clear that he's got feelings for her but doesn't quite know what to do about it. The finale sets up for Finn/PB stuff in season three.

Marceline comes back for a number of episodes, not all of them great, but It Came From The Nightosphere is a strong candidate for Best Episode Ever. Every second of Marceline and her dad is gold.

Quote of the season: "Stompin' on ants... Sucking their souls. Stompin' on ants... Soul soul soul."

There's a number of good D&D Premise episodes like The Pods or the Mortal Folly two-parter, but overall the show is branching out into playing with pop culture in general. For instance, episodes like Storytelling, Guardians of Sunshine, and Mystery Train.

Maybe the single most Adventure Timey detail on display here is the rapidly multiplying depictions of Hell on the show.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:24 AM
I like Sonic the Hedgehog

I should go back to this. I only saw season 1. It was good. Which was the episode where Finn has glasses and goes insane?
Old 12-29-2016, 12:58 PM
forbidden noise

i really liked season 2 and it's when i finally started to feel like i "got it" but 3 is the one i really think is just non-stop great episodes

well, okay, one stop, the zombie episode was kind of boring aside from that one joke that was basically already done way better before
Old 12-29-2016, 11:37 PM
who's she

Forgot to mention the DVD extras are utterly worthless so far. Oh well.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:19 PM
I. Love. It.

So Season 8 has begun, there was a double episode yesterday and a new episode tonight through Thursday. Next week is the Adventure Time Islands series, with two episodes per night Monday through Thursday.

It really is feast or famine with these shows isn't it?

Anyway, they're clearly setting up Grass Finn/Fern to be a new baddie, or at least the evil grass spider parasite thing that infected the Finn Sword. Might turn out to be a red herring yet, but it seems pretty sinister.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:46 AM
I. Love. It.

So there's been a few more episodes, we get to see more of Jake's ever-growing family (plus a funny mid-life crisis for him) as well as another episode of the anti-Prubs conspiracy group. That one was just... weird, as Tree Trunks episodes often are.

Also, the entire Adventure Time Islands mini-series apparently has been leaked. (Again CN? Really? Sheesh!) They're out there. Haven't watched them yet myself though.

Last edited by SpoonyBardOL; 01-27-2017 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Every time I go to type 'Adventure Time Islands' I almost type 'Adventure Island'
Old 01-27-2017, 03:26 AM
Not even a *nice* duck!

Pretty sure Islands is already out digitally/on DVD.

Been enjoying the new episodes a lot!
Old 01-28-2017, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoonyBardOL View Post

Anyway, they're clearly setting up Grass Finn/Fern to be a new baddie, or at least the evil grass spider parasite thing that infected the Finn Sword. Might turn out to be a red herring yet, but it seems pretty sinister.
I am behind but having seen the first two eps, I think it's going to be more complicated than that. It would be easy to have the nameless grass spirit as a villain and he still could be, but I also think it isn't a coincidence that the much more conflicted Fern has his voice instead of Finn's. Not to say he isn't a dangerous dude, since he clearly has that in him and at the end of the ep isn't interested in retaining the same morality that Finn has.

But I also think they way they are setting him up is going to be a straight up bad dude, or at least not in the same way that Orgalorg or the Lich were, despite his Chthulu-esque visage. Like, I still think the handish thing might be immoral, dangerous and even working against Fern's best interest, but I'm guessing that he might be something that Fern will have to learn either to embrace and/or overcome in his personal search for identity, which he is certainly struggling with now. I think just having him be a big villain might feel a bit like an Orgalorg reveal again, albeit less surprising.

Speaking of quest for identity, I wonder if Finn's doctoring adventure is the first step in an ark for him looking for a job/new purpose now that he's growing up (since he has aged in real time, give or take, since the show began.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 AM

Adventure Time is following up their latest mini-series with yet another mini-series!

April 24th!

Based on the title, I can only assume Tom Lehrer is involved.
Old 04-03-2017, 09:16 AM
Bertolli?!?...

ITT: Johnny makes posts that are nakedly pandering to the JBear demographic.

(Not a complaint.)
Old 04-30-2017, 06:01 AM

Another really good mini-series. It feels like the show might already be interested in diving into it's next mini-series, though I can easily see the show putting last episode's fallout on the backburner after an aftermath episode where Jake goes back to normal.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:43 PM
100% All Original

I finally got through the Islands arc and I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:36 PM
oh my car

I was confused about why "Elementals" wasn't up on Amazon yet but it turns out they offer all the mini-series separately. What the heck!
Old 09-10-2017, 09:00 AM
I. Love. It.

So apparently during one week in July the last five episodes of Season 8 aired and I guess I just didn't notice? I'm starting to wonder if the whole 'episode bomb' structure is a good idea going forward, I kind of really miss just having weekly episodes of these shows.

Anyway. Quick thoughts on the Season 8 closers:

Abstract: I mean, I didn't expect the whole demon-Jake thing to last very long, but I kinda hoped it would take a few episodes before he got his old appearance back. Oh well!

Ketchup: Sweet BMO/Marcy episode, those two almost never get time together. Their retellings of their respective adventures during Islands and pre-Elements were a hoot, and the last bit when BMO tries to interpret the images of Marcy and her Mom were super sweet.

Fiona and Cake and Fiona: Y'know, for a moment early on I nearly bought that old lady Fiona was the real deal. This episode is mostly notable for confirming that Fiona and Cake exist apart from Ice King's imagination. Looks like he's literally getting the stories beamed into his head from... somewhere???

Whispers: Hi Lich. Bye Lich. This might be his final appearance, we'll see, but the best chance at the Lich ever returning was through Sweetpea and this episode seems to settle that. Sweetpea is Sweetpea. Also, some REALLY unsettling Fern bits, leading into....

Three Buckets: I mean.... Fern was probably always going to be villainous, that grass parasite or whatever it was was just too obviously evil. The way he went out, though, was a touch unsettling, partly for how he looked with his head kinda being sucked sideways into his torso before exploding into a cloud of grass, and kinda for how accidental it was on Finn's part. ("Fatality!") He'll be back in some form, though, if that mysterious person gathering his remains turns out to be a thing. No idea who this character is, apparently he was seen in the background in prison in the episode 'The Thin Yellow Line', he'll probably come into play in Season 9.

Overall Season 8 feels like it ends a bit abruptly for how much of a thing it was, with the Island and Elements stories taking up most of it. But I'm kind of glad it didn't end on a direct cliffhanger.

Season 9 is starting in a week on Sept 17th, and it will be the last season! It is, of course, starting with another episode bomb, this time with four episodes in one day rather than spread out over a single week.
Old 09-10-2017, 11:27 PM

There's going to be a Glengarry Glen Ross-based episode. Oh my sweet Christ. This is the best thing that could happen to this show.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:51 PM

Is CN just burning this season off or something? Why on Earth would they drop four episodes on a Sunday evening and then not re-run them or follow up with more new eps?

Anyway, that sure was some PB lore.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:03 PM
Outraged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McGuffin View Post
Is CN just burning this season off or something? Why on Earth would they drop four episodes on a Sunday evening and then not re-run them or follow up with more new eps?

Anyway, that sure was some PB lore.
CN's scheduling strategy involves throwing a dart at a board that has "Teen Titans Go" filled in for 18 of the 20 targets.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM
oh my car

I like where they're going with this plotline.

Tags
adventure time , cartoons , down with megathreads! , finn the human , jake the dog