The Return of Talking Time

Go Back   The Return of Talking Time > Talking about media > Talking about TV and film

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #2341  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Daikaiju's Avatar
Daikaiju Daikaiju is offline
King Of Space-Time
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 13,745
Default

Reply With Quote
  #2342  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 PM
Zef's Avatar
Zef Zef is offline
Find Your Reason
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Vortex World
Posts: 26,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaeran View Post
I'm a certified post number appraiser and I can tell you that four-so has negotiated his way into an extremely attractive position
Did you shake hands on it?
Reply With Quote
  #2343  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
hold back the night
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,555
Default

I wasn't involved in the transaction! I'm just the appraiser. I'm here to tell you how much value there is in being the one billionth poster to hate the Star Wars prequels.

*holds hands far apart, wide-eyed nod*
Reply With Quote
  #2344  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
hold back the night
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,555
Default

*writes a number on a napkin, slides it across the table*
Reply With Quote
  #2345  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
hold back the night
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,555
Default

*quickly draws a $ in the air with a lit cigarette*
Reply With Quote
  #2346  
Old 03-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Vaeran's Avatar
Vaeran Vaeran is offline
hold back the night
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 5,555
Default

I mean obviously confidentiality prevents me from going into specifics but

*appreciative whistle*
Reply With Quote
  #2347  
Old 03-23-2017, 10:34 PM
YangusKhan's Avatar
YangusKhan YangusKhan is offline
does the Underpants Dance
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,847
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk Moreland View Post
Bleck, I'm not going to waste my time posting stuff I posted fresh after watching the prequels a few years ago. Just look that stuff up in Bongo Bill's old thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck View Post
I'm not going to waste my time assuming stuff exists because other people can't be bothered to post it.
Bleck did you read Bongo's thread at all? Because I do remember Bunk getting pretty damn specific about technical criticisms and Bongo would counter with something else and it was an actual conversation instead of this train wreck. Like, we absolutely did already have the kind of conversation you say you want in a thread specifically for talking about the prequels. It's not that unreasonable for people to tell you to go read it, because it was a long thread and lots of arguments happened and it wasn't that long ago really.
Reply With Quote
  #2348  
Old 03-23-2017, 10:49 PM
estragon's Avatar
estragon estragon is offline
この世の最も無智なる者
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,783
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
I've seen this a billion times and jizz-wail cracks me up every time.
Reply With Quote
  #2349  
Old 03-23-2017, 11:20 PM
Bleck's Avatar
Bleck Bleck is offline
Highway To HFIL
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,155
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YangusKhan View Post
Bleck did you read Bongo's thread at all? Because I do remember Bunk getting pretty damn specific about technical criticisms and Bongo would counter with something else and it was an actual conversation instead of this train wreck.
I meant, I'm not going to assume that everyone has valid opinions when they just say "it's bad". Bunk specifically talking about a thread he had posted in was the opposite of what I was referring to. Sorry for the confusion.
Reply With Quote
  #2350  
Old 03-24-2017, 01:47 AM
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
Bunk Moreland Bunk Moreland is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Chiba, Japan
Posts: 7,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I've seen this a billion times and jizz-wail cracks me up every time.
omg thank you, I just noticed it.
Reply With Quote
  #2351  
Old 03-24-2017, 03:25 AM
Meditative_Zebra's Avatar
Meditative_Zebra Meditative_Zebra is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: University of Power-Ups
Posts: 5,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo Bill View Post
The things wrong with the prequels are generally the same things that are wrong with the originals: wooden dialog, aborted character arcs, the occasional redundant scene. The things that are strongly matters of taste in the prequels are also equally present in the originals: understated and non-naturalistic delivery, static camera work, excessive derivation of meaning from classic film references, immature special effects.
???

The original Star Wars trilogy was the birthplace of Industrial Light and Magic. It's the company that is most singularly identified with cutting-edge special effects from the 70's through the 90's and the original Star Wars films hold up this day as having very good special effects work. Could you elaborate for me what you mean when you describe this as "immature"?
Reply With Quote
  #2352  
Old 03-24-2017, 07:04 AM
chud_666's Avatar
chud_666 chud_666 is offline
120 Days
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Salo
Posts: 7,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by estragon View Post
I've seen this a billion times and jizz-wail cracks me up every time.
Furtherdown it has a quote "you play a real festering jizz box."
Reply With Quote
  #2353  
Old 03-24-2017, 07:05 AM
chud_666's Avatar
chud_666 chud_666 is offline
120 Days
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Salo
Posts: 7,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meditative_Zebra View Post
???

The original Star Wars trilogy was the birthplace of Industrial Light and Magic. It's the company that is most singularly identified with cutting-edge special effects from the 70's through the 90's and the original Star Wars films hold up this day as having very good special effects work. Could you elaborate for me what you mean when you describe this as "immature"?
I think he means more like nascent and at that point experimental.
Reply With Quote
  #2354  
Old 03-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Peach's Avatar
Peach Peach is offline
Remembers Love
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Fargo and Gamoorhead
Posts: 2,716
Default

I think they kind of got it one. There's a few shots during the Trench Run where they don't get the depth of field right, but beyond that the miniature work is still incredible. Flying into the trench is still maybe the greatest SFX shot of all time?
Reply With Quote
  #2355  
Old 03-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Falselogic's Avatar
Falselogic Falselogic is offline
Threadcromantosaurus Rex
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 27,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Furtherdown it has a quote "you play a real festering jizz box."
and how!
Reply With Quote
  #2356  
Old 03-24-2017, 01:13 PM
Bongo Bill's Avatar
Bongo Bill Bongo Bill is offline
oh my car
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Land
Posts: 18,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
I think he means more like nascent and at that point experimental.
Yes. The technology was necessarily immature, because they were still inventing it. So you see things like iffy compositing (transparent cockpits on Hoth, outlines), awkward fight choreography because the early lightsabers are so heavy, differing frame rates with some miniatures, models popping in and out, stiff puppets....

It's always been there if you know what to look for. The computer models in TPM, the camera resolution and iffy mocap in AotC - extensions of the same principle. ILM always went in with cutting-edge ambitions, and some of their experiments revealed technical shortcomings that they ultimately had to work around rather than perfect, and made it to film.
Reply With Quote
  #2357  
Old 03-24-2017, 01:17 PM
chud_666's Avatar
chud_666 chud_666 is offline
120 Days
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Salo
Posts: 7,315
Default

Plus the prequel trilogy is very trailblazing in these respects as well.
Reply With Quote
  #2358  
Old 03-24-2017, 01:22 PM
Bongo Bill's Avatar
Bongo Bill Bongo Bill is offline
oh my car
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado Land
Posts: 18,177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud_666 View Post
Plus the prequel trilogy is very trailblazing in these respects as well.
Right, exactly. The Special Editions are warm-ups for the digital rendering, color-shifting, and compositing they would be doing later, Attack of the Clones was the first major film to be shot on digital (and has a hyperreal palette and brightly-lit aesthetic that emphasizes the difference between digital and celluloid), and so forth.

They didn't skimp on the miniatures, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #2359  
Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
Patrick's Avatar
Patrick Patrick is offline
is Earnest
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 16,870
Default

Ths short video clip from the director of Rogue One explains every issue I had with the movie. It has great visuals and setpieces but the story's a mess because they didn't plan it out ahead of time.

https://twitter.com/theenerdwriter/s...32582720241664
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
an insane man flounders , bongobill fan club , darth snape , god bless bongo bill , i rebel , jar jar shot first , jizz-wailers , joseph campbell , manny both-hanz , max rebo , planet poppin' fun , scum and villainy , so wizard , space ghosts , star wars , stockholm syndrome , yub nub

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Your posts İyou, 2007